Bell's Oberon Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Oberon AleBell's Oberon Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002

Poured a hazy light copper hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was good retention and lacing.

The smell feature a sociy wheat malt and an estery yeast.

The taste was upfront spicy with a gradual blending of citrus and caramel. Hints of coriander and perhaps cloves detected as well.

The mouthfeel was toward the fuller side of the style. Closer to a wit.

Overall a tasty wheat ale.

4.42/5  rDev +16%

On tap at sharp edge creekhouse outside of Pittsburgh

A: pours a pale golden yellow with a finger of head that reduces down and leaves lots of lacing behind on the glass.

S: very citrusy scent which didn't quite expect, it's actually not intense but us the dominant smell, orange peel and I keep searching for yeast or wheat and it's either barely there or I
Making it up in my head because I just had a saison

T: tastes like someone e put orange slices in my beer, very citrusy, very surprising flavor to me but I like it, it's a very light flavor that isn't intense

M: a little thin but that will gel in the sessionability

D: I want to give this a 5 here because it may be the most sessionable beer I have ever had, but! I can't help but think they could make it even better. Low abv, low abv taste, great easy flavor.

This feels like the grandson of hopslam and the son of two hearted, I'll be continually drinking this for sure.

3.62/5  rDev -5%

12-oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A = Light yellow with slight greenish tint, like a Japanese green tea, small white head, no lacing.

S = Fresh uncooked pizza dough, some cloves.

T = Light fresh tastes of light wheat bread, cloves, white pepper.

M = Light body, light mouthcoating, low carbonation.

D = This is a pleasant beer that would make a good bbq beer.

4.09/5  rDev +7.3%

A- Pours a cloudy orange color with a thin off-white head. It left slight lacing that didn't stick around. Not sure if this is normal, but it had more sediment than I've experienced with other wheat beers.

S- The bottle says that it smells like a summer afternoon...and I wholeheartedly agree. It's full or oranges and other citrus notes. Very refreshing.

T- The citrus hits you up front, dominated by the oranges. I picked up traces of grapefruit and other citruses too. As it finishes, I noticed a nice, bitter hopiness. It's very subtle but settles well on the palate.

M- It was mildly carbonated, less that other wheat ales I've had. Danced around nicely in my mouth.

D- This is a delicious summer beer, highly refreshing and crisp. I didn't notice the 5.8% ABV either. I can definitely see myself picking this up over the summer for hanging out by the pool and grilling.

3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

1/2 finger white head that dissipated quickly. Beer is a hazy light golden orange color. Looks like a summer beer should!

Smells of oranges, orange peel and wheat.

Tastes of wheat, orange peel, orange, citrusy. I can slightly taste the yeast in the beer, and I didnt even notice it was 5.8% ABV until i looked at the label.

Crisp clean mouthfeel light carbonation.

Very sessionable beer, easy to drink. Ill be buyin some more of this during the summer for sure!

4.12/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured in to a nonic to a nice inch of head. It was a cloudy yellow-orange. It has nice citrus smell with a bit of sweetness. It is a very nice beer. It is a beer to drink after mowing the lawn or while mowing the lawn. It's a good summer beer.

Cheers!

3.8/5  rDev -0.3%

I grabbed a 6 pack of this looking for a nice wheat beer while the weather got warmer. Served from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: I was a nice orangish-yellow color right out of the bottle with a nice wheat haze to it. It had minimal head that disapated quickly after the pour, which was somewhat a let-down. It left minimal lacing on the way down.

Smell: Had a nice citrusy smell mixed with a little wheat and spice. Smelled very summer like.

Taste: Very similar to the smell. Citrusy with a nice wheat flavor and a good hoppy finish.

Feel: It was a light and clean tasting beer. It went down very easily with just the right amount of carbonation. Was a clean finish with no adverse aftertastes. You didnt even notice the ABV.

Drinkability: It went down smooth and finished very easily. Wasnt that filing and overall is a great summer session beer. Great for a relaxing day out in the sun. But, I honestly couldnt finish an entire 6 pack by myself. I would need a friend or two to help me.

Overall, this is a great summer beer. I enjoyed it on a warm evening after being outside for a good part of the day. I've never been a huge fan of wheat beers, so I couldnt finish all of the 6 pack in a sitting. But a very good beer to have one or two at a time.

3.77/5  rDev -1%

Purchased a 6 Pack of Bell's Oberon Ale from Avenue Liquor in Milwaukee, WI on 4/24/09. It was a unusually warm day (80 Degrees), so I figured drinking this ourside before I went out for the evening would be a good idea. Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Hazy, straw like golden orange color. A wee bit of lacing, though not that great of head retention.

Smell: The orange bottlecap is obvious after getting a whiff, as you get the scent of citrus, as well as a bit of spice and wheat.

Taste: Fairly similar to the smell, with a fruity balance and refreshing taste.

Mouthfeel: Light and smooth, though not long lasting.

Drinkability: Overall, I would agree with an older post here; it's a good beer to drink on a warm day when you don't quite feel up to drinking a macrolager and somewhat enjoyable. However, I don't believe the cost justifies the taste. I don't think I'd ever buy a 6 pack to myself, but I'd go half and half with some a friend on it, put it in a created six pack or have it on tap at two locations that I know carries it.

3.82/5  rDev +0.3%

Drank from 12oz bottle on a hot day in the spring.

A- orange-tan with very white foam. "head' (this was a bottle) dissipated quickly and wasn't drank at all. Some people like that, other don't. Average appearance for a wheat ale.

S- Very sweet and citrus like. almost too much like a orange in a bottle.

T- Crisp citrus and light spice. Evident wheat aftertaste. As it warmed up it the bitterness was a little more apparent.

M- Heavier than other beers of its type. Not unpleasant- full and wheaty

D- Drinkability high, this beer goes down smooth with the perfect amount of carbonation. tingly and sweet on the back of the tongue.

Overall this is a great beer for the a seasonal state. Warm weather needs oberon.

4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

On-tap into pint glass.

Pale yellow-orange hue with a white one and a half finger head, strong lacing. The aroma has bready grain, with some slight hints of the hops. Citrus, orange peel and lemon, is in the front on top of some light grain aromas. A slight creamy overtone is there. Lighter bodied.

This one came with a bit of hype, but I'm glad I tried it. It's very refreshing, and not like other beers of the same style which seem to over-do the citrus characteristics. Very drinkable.

3.05/5  rDev -19.9%

2 words...let down.
Yuk. This beer had nothing appealing to it.
Color looks like a cloudy budweiser. No head, and had no aroma.
Now the taste. Boring, nothing there. it is as if I watered down a Witbier. I wanted more out of this beer.
If you had your pick between this and a hop-sun, I would go with the hop-sun.

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Had this on tap while sitting outside at the local Taphouse during 80F and sunny weather. Let me just say it fit that setting perfectly.

Hazy light orange color.

Smells like a typical wheat beer with slight hints of orange.

Tastes the same. This actually does have a very clean taste and the citrus has a very fresh feel. Taste is all orange and wheat tang, with a bready yeast finish with some bittering hops to boot.

Good carbonation. Crisp and refreshing.

I could drink a boat load of these during the summer. This is a classic summer session beer.

I will admit I'm not the biggest fan of wheat beers, but as far as they go this would be towards the top of my list.

3.48/5  rDev -8.7%

A- Slightly cloudy pale yellow with a one finger off white head. Head has some retention and leaves a little lacing on the glass.

S- Light note of orange and yeast. Not too much else going on in the aroma.

T- Delicate wheat and yeast with a little orange and hop bitterness at the end.

M- A little on the light side, decent carbonation. Finish is quick and clean with almost no aftertaste.

D- Easy drinking summer beer, no hint of the 5.8% ABV.

Decent summer beer from Bell's. This one would be a good choice for a summer picnic where you just can't bring yourself to serve a macro lager, as no-one will be put off by this.

3.53/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

G: Poured into, of course, a Bell's Oberon pint glass.

A: Pale golden-orangish-yellow (enough colors?) with a naze haze.

S: The pale wheat is definitely there, and somewhat obscured by a citrus spiciness.

T: Citrus and spice along with the wheat backbone.

M: Quite light and crisp; good carbonation.

D: A very nice summer beer and one that is quite sessionable indeed. My gateway beer to the craft world.

2.67/5  rDev -29.9%

Supremely disappointed after all I've heard about this beer (and considering how well-ranked it is by my respectable peers). Not well-balanced AT ALL. This beer has its attributes, but I'd go for a Blue Moon any day.

Color was orange-tinted and holds its head pretty well, though does not pour particularly thick. Looks like a bubbling sediment-laden riverbed.

Smells awful. Kind of like Busch light, only with less of the gag-reflex.

Taste is better. Sourdough and cheddar cheese, citrus flavors of orange and lemon. But taste dissipates rather quickly and does not leave any real lasting wheat mouthfeel.

Over-carbonated and does not lend any real substance or flavor once moved around the mouth.

Finish is surprisingly smooth and

3.98/5  rDev +4.5%

Bottle into Sam Adams lager glass.

Pours pale straw, with a hint of orange, very hazy, with a dense one-finger off-white head on top that sticks around nicely. Really nice lacing.

Nose is tangy wheat/light pale malt, some yeast (clove?).

Taste is yeasty, tangy wheat. Very light hoppy bitterness towards the finish. There's a light, fresh breadiness about the beer that I'm really loving towards the finish. You can tell it's super fresh. Finish is bready, yeasty. Bit of citrus.

Mouthfeel is light to medium carbonation, light bodied.

Top notch for a style I'm usually really not crazy about. It's odd, but it actually reminded me more of an abbey singel crossed with a wheat beer.

2.91/5  rDev -23.6%

Pours an outstanding, craggy head. True spotting down the glass. Opaque throughout the glass. Smells of fruity esthers, wheat and tangy banana. All the fun ceased for a bit, as it was very hoppy. I was expecting wheat and banana. Tasted like an APA, maybe a bad bottle? Was fresh and crispy, just not a true american "wheat" ale. However, very crisp, light and easy to drink. I would have rated it higher if it had been an APA.

3.99/5  rDev +4.7%

Bottle poured into a pint glass. First bottle of my first 6-pack of the year, enjoyed while reading "The Long Walk" on the patio.

A-Glowing golden hazy beer. Crisp, clean white head, 2 full fingers of nicely-sustaining head.

S-Yeasty, wheaty aromas, slight citrus with minimal phenols.

T-Refreshingly malty with that wheaty twang. Bitterness balances the grainy malts appropriately, with an ever-so-slight citrus twist. Finishes grainy and bitter, dry.

M-Medium-high carbonation. Light mouthfeel, fits in perfectly with the refreshing taste.

D-Highly drinkable. Danger: you will want another while lounging outdoors on a beautiful summer afternoon.

4.07/5  rDev +6.8%

This one pours a hazy copper color with some yeast visible. A thick white head dissipates pretty quickly to a foam but leaves some rings of patchy lacing.
The smell is mostly wheat with some gentle citrus and banana, along with a light spice. A light malt blends with an earthy, herbal hops in the aroma as well.
The wheat is in the taste as expected, accompanied by a tanginess. The other elements found in the aroma are a little lighter in the taste. A little bit of orange is in here that wasn't as detectable as in the aroma. There's a sweet malt up front as well, though hops are more of an underlying character that comes out with a little bitterness in the finish.
This one is smooth and fairly creamy with a crisp bite. It's a lighter-bodied brew with gentle but adequate carbonation.
This one's very sessionable and a good brew all around.

3.85/5  rDev +1%

Appearance: Good carbonation, and it pours a hazy orange. I can see yeast floating inside. Nice thick head..goes away quickly..to a foam layer.

Aroma: Wheat, some spices too. Maybe a little citrus

Taste: Wheat, a good amount of breadyness follows. The taste is pretty sweetish overall. Finishes off with very little bitterness

Mouthfeel: Goes down extremely well. Crisp finish. Somewhat creamy while still on the tongue..then just a great crispness to finish off

Drinkability: Highly drinkable..its a wheat after all. Tastes great, goes down well

Recommended

4.37/5  rDev +14.7%

One of my favorites...just now got around to reviewing.

A: Pours a golden/strawlike color. Kind of like hte label says, "the color of a summer afternoon." Unfiltered and cloudy. About a one finger, smooth head in my pint glass. Minimal lacing.
S: Hits with a fruity/bready scent at first. Alchohol peeks through a little, but the fruits overpower it. I'm picking up a lot of lemon and orange in this. A little bit of a grapefruit as well. Some hops do make themselves known too.
T: At first I get the lemon/orange flavor along with the malty sweetness. This fades into a little bitterness as the hops come through. Together, the blend perfectly. Very crisp and smooth.
M: Mild carbonation. Mild hang in terms of the alcohol and hops. As previously stated, very crisp and smooth.
D: This has session written all over it and is the perfect outdoor brew. It doesn't fill you up, but it will satify your tastebuds.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Willi, with a cloudy golden color and a foamy white head that dissapates quickly.

Smells kinda funky, with a wheat malt and a good array of spices in the background. A grassy hop.

Tastes like a heartier wheat than I am used to. Good spices like coriander and some orange peel with a sort of undescribable spice that I can't put my finger on. Some bittering hops are present in the finish which is what I think sets this wehat apart from most.

Mouthfeel is really close to perfect but loses me on the carbonation which is a bit too high. kinda dry but crisp and refreshing. Oxy-moron I know but some how it pulls it off. Drinks incredibly easy especially on a hot day. Truly a great beer and I look forward to it's next release.

4.13/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours a really nice cloudy yellow color, but a deeper hue of yellow than most wheat ales, i guess thats where the pale comes from, a little more malt can go a long way i suppose.

smell is good, has a nice spicy yeast aroma to it, not much malt or hops though.

taste is good, after a long day i'm tempting to make it a perfect but i know that would be doing an injustice, but its a good tasting beer.

mouthfeel is good, crisp and refreshing

drinkability is very high, wheat beers are my favorite session beers.

3.48/5  rDev -8.7%

I've been looking for this since it was brewed again. on tap served in a standard pint glass

a: light straw yellow color, slight 1/4" head with fair retention. Did reduce to lace rings around my glass. slightly cloudy but not much compared to other wheat styles.

s: light aroma, slight citrus and wheat

t: to be honest, I found the taste to be bland. I found it to be well balanced, but did not really notice much citrus character. the most I found was a slight sweatness from the wheat and perhaps any spice used.

m&d: light mouthfeel, extremely drinkable

3.26/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Cloudy golden look with a that when poured is thick and disappears into a pretty think but constend foam. Seems alive with many bubble of carbonation rises

Smell: the malt smells a bit smokey but sweet, clean and pure smell.

Taste: Very well balanced bitter taste. SOOO smooth going down.

Mouthfeel: Perfect carbonation for me, not too overcarbonated when u let it linger, I feel this is a flaw in many beers. Again very smooth with a midium body.

Drinkability: I would like to have another

Conclusion: Great beer overall, would definitely recommend this beer to anyone. Being in college it isn't a beer i would be able to buy year round, however it would be on my list for when I have some extra spending money and looking for a good relaxing beer. Bell's sure knows how to brew their beer TRY IT!

Bell's Oberon Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.