Bell's Oberon Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Oberon AleBell's Oberon Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002

Bell's Oberon is a wheat ale fermented with Bell's signature house ale yeast, mixing a spicy hop character with mildly fruity aromas. The addition of wheat malt lends a smooth mouthfeel, making it a classic summer beer.
Reviews: 1,675 | Hads: 6,287
4.45/5  rDev +16.2%

2004: Ah, spring has arrived.
This year's version of Oberon is a bit more cloudy that last year. It pours out to a wonderful, pastel, bright yellow in the glass with a nice head. The aroma is still that of wheat and yeast. This year's version is less hoppy than previous years and more on the fruity side. This, in my opinion, makes this beer a wonderful summer treat. I'll take Oberon and its citrus/wheat taste over a traditional banana/clove hefe' any day. Yes, I am a homer on this one. It still screams summer to me. Its not complex, nor should it be. Satisfying and delicious? Yes.

2003:Oberon still rocks. This year's version is quite different from year's past. It pours out to a pastel-golden color in the glass. Cloudy, but not as "orange" in color as in year's past. The signature Bell's yeast taste has been subdued and this IMO, is a good thing. The taste is more straightforward in the style of a hefe/wheat without the ultra-agressive hop presence of year's past. This may be the most refreshing version of Oberon ever. Yum. I'm going to get one right now....

2002: Somewhat more carbonation this year. Lighter in citrus taste as well. Pours to a cloudy, golden color with white lacing on the glass. Still an excellent summer thirst quencher. This wheat beer is in a class of its own. There is no other wheat beer that tastes like it.

2001: A fantastic summer beer. Unfiltered, somewhat yeasty, with a light citrus taste. This is what a summer beer is all about. A treat during the warm months.

4.45/5  rDev +16.2%

Appearance: Gold, plenty of yeast particles in suspension.

Smell: Wheat, slight citrus.

Taste: Starts with a little wheat, then moves to orange and spice flavors.

Mouthfeel: Not too heavy but not too light.

Drinkability: Excellent, these can go one after another on a summer day.

One of my favorites for the summer season, light enough to have several but with enough interesting flavors to keep me coming back. Highly recommended!

4.45/5  rDev +16.2%

I have not had a beer that I so look forward to drinking it again in a long time. It poured maze with lots haze in color. Very cloudy with floaters, but thats ok with me. citrus/orange taste. I smell a little wheat. Goes down easy. One of the best summer drinks in my book!

4.44/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I did not have high expectations for this beer. Found it while on vacay in NC. It really blew me away for what it is... a drinkable summer wheat ale. Great pool beer. It may be weighted a bit too high given my expectations, but I call them how I see them. Will try again under different circumstances.

4.44/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Amber in color, hazy as you would expect from the style. One finger white head, little retention - surprisingly so, actually, since wheat beers are usually quite foamy. Not much lacing.

Smell: White bread, orange blossom honey, and just a hint of banana. Complex and very nice.

Taste: Very refreshing and balanced. Citrus (orange) hops, a little spice (clove?) and bready malt. Slightly buttery in the middle, finishes clean and dry. Excellent.

Mouthfeel: More spritzy than you would guess from looking at it, somewhat creamy. Body is somewhere between light and medium. Very crisp.

Drinkability: Refreshing while still complex, and well-balanced, this is an exceptional summer beer. Recommended.

4.43/5  rDev +15.7%

A recent thread posted in the forums mentioned those beers that are hugely popular and have a cult following, but for some reason you've never had! Well, that reminded me that I picked up some Oberon while in Chicago for Thanksgiving, and it's high time I tried this old standby!

A - Bright, and I mean bright vivid orange which matches the color of the label background hue. This looks like vibrant Sunny D with a nice haze and a two finger white head that sets like cement and lasts just about as long! The brew reminds me of 100& apricot juice or the bright orange color of mandarin oranges. The head shows ridiculous retention, and lots of foamy lace is left on the glass.

S - Sweet fresh orange juice with sugar mixed in, lots of yeast, malty caramel, and brown sugar notes which are unexpected given the style, but are more than welcome since they add a nice warmth to what I thought would be a twangy-wheaty nose. Seems a bit under-assertive though, could be kicked up a notch IMO.

T - Sweet orange juice, brown sugar, chewy caramel squares, nutmeg, and a ton (at least for the style) of hops! This is WAY more hoppy than expected, and I am definitely not complaining about this. This is outstandingly fresh, fruity, tropical, and breezy. The hops are about to the level of your average pale ale, and taste mainly fruity with a small hint of pine. Glorious.

M - Light (but approaching medium) bodied with some detectable sugars and a nice dextriny firmness. Carbonation is lively, but not overdone. And the finish is pretty much neutral with a small amount of hops lingering after the swallow.

D - Ridiculously, outstandingly, superbly, and perfectly drinkable. This bottle went down WAY to fast. This could be the session beers to end all session beers (at least in the summer). I could take out quite a few of these with glee.

4.43/5  rDev +15.7%

I got a six pack of Bell's Oberon Ale the other day from Meijers for $8.99. Oberon is pretty much a summer time necessity here in Michigan and I have been drinking it every summer since I was 21. Bottled on April 26, 2011 Batch# 10332. Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a Weizen glass.

A- I have always liked the label on this beer, you just can't mess with the Oberon sun. I also really like that bells started adding the date on the bottle with the batch number, it makes it much easier to find out the freshness. It poured a nice looking yellowish orange color with three and a half fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thick layer that left lots of spotty lacing. I can see why they claim its looks like a summer afternoon, it just does.

S- I pick up a good amount of malted wheat that gives it a bready and malty like aroma at first. Then i Pick up the citrus that mainly consists of Orange and lemon rinds along with what smells like a a half and half mixture of floral and citrus hops. The combination of the citrus and wheat makes for a great aroma that beers like blue moon wish they could achieve.

T- Every thing that I picked up in the aroma is all present in the taste and is balanced and integrated well. Up front the wheat shines through and has a nice bready flavor to it and is not sweet, it makes for a good backbone for this beer. In the middle is where I pick up all those citrus rinds that leans more towards the oranges. In the finish I get a slight bit of the hops mixture that I picked up in the aroma, it's pretty subtle just like the the light amount of bitterness on the finish that helps tie everything together.

M- It was crisp and refreshing, light to medium bodied, and it had the perfect amount of carbonation, a little more head retention would be nice, but thats starting to be picky.

Overall I think Oberon is one kick ass Pale Wheat Ale, and is the perfect summer time beer, I have yet to have a beer that is better suited for a hot summer afternoon in mid Michigan. I find that many Pale Wheat Ales that are similar to Oberon never have as good as balance of wheat and citrus as this one has. Everything about this beer is spot on and right where it should be. The drinkability is about as good as gets, more times then I can count I find my self craving one of these in the summer, I always grab a six pack for all summer time activities, everything from disc golf, camping, canoeing, fishing, mowing the lawn, just about anything. If you are in need of the perfect summer time brew, Oberon is for you, it is just so damn good tasting, crisp and refreshing. Oberon is one of my favorite beers from Bell's and the my favorite summer time beer, I couldn't imagine a summer in Michigan with out it.

4.43/5  rDev +15.7%

Bought a case the day after it was brewed. Poured into a glass, and everything was exceptional. It was as if my Christmas had arrived. Drank it slow and enjoyed it. The look was amazing, and you can tell how much time they put into their beers, as bell's never lets me down. I for one suggest anyone who likes a wheat beer to try this one!

Also, when they start filling the taps at bars, this beer is even better on tap. No fruit needed for this one, it's tastey all by itself.

4.43/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Oberon is one of my favorite beers, I especially enjoy drinking this beer as the temperatures begin to rise and I can enjoy it outdoors. As advised I requested this beer without the orange to really get a feel for the taste of the recipe. I could definitely taste the fruity notes in the beer and it made for a very smooth and crisp taste.

4.42/5  rDev +15.4%

One of my favorite beers of the summer comes from one of my new top ten breweries in America (now I need to update my post). So good that I had to fly some of this home with me from Traverse City Michigan. Just a great wheat ale that I could not get enough of -- could be a dangerous session beer if I had access to this one. All great qualities, especially how easy to drink and its light citrus and unfiltered goodness.

4.42/5  rDev +15.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. The bottle has a classic Helios for the artwork, on a field of orange; very summery!

Pours a hazy yellow with a foamy white head that gradually disappears. A fair amount of fine grained sediment floats suspended in the liquid.

Has a spicy barley smell to it. Notes of grass and even a little lemon.

Though I generally am not a fam of wheat ales, I count this beer among my summertime favorites. Unlike a lot of the weak dishwater beers that pass themselves off as wheat beers, this one is full of flavor. Light, spicy, and slightly fruity, it is perfect to quench the thirst on a hot summer day. Some sweet malt pops up underneath as you sip, folowed by spiciness along the tongue, ending with a nip of bitterness.

This has a smooth and refreshing mouthfeel, which in turn lends to it being a highly drinkable beer. An excellent summer session beer, I highly recommend this for the next cookout! A word of advice, though, don't ruin the taste by popping a lemon or orange in it. Enjoy it as Bell's intended.

4.42/5  rDev +15.4%

This beer is reminiscent of another Bell's beer, the great Two Hearted Ale, but the Oberon is a wheat ale. It's also not as strong as the Two Hearted Ale but Oberon still packs a 5.8% punch, although it doesn't taste it. Nice color (although a beer's color has never really mattered to me - give me the taste!) with a pleasant fruit aroma which is also not that strong or overwhelming. Highly recommend you give this one a try especially if you like Summer ales.

4.42/5  rDev +15.4%

This beer pours a nice orange color with a nice sized head that leaves a solid amount of lacing down the sides of the glass. Aroma of yeast and hops with a slight fruitiness. The main flavors are of tarty fruits, esp. orange. Saaz hops are used and are a perfect complement to the tartiness. Grainy malts seem to be in the mix as well. Coriander is also a strong flavor in this beer. I don't really know if this should be called a hefe but I do know that this is one great beer from one great brewery.

Notes Jun 28, 2008
Bottle,draught,mini keg.The beer pours a very cloudy golden color with a large white head.The strong scent of citrus and wheat is prominent.Strong yeast, orange and wheat flavor. The aftertaste is sweet and citrusy. Creamy mouthfeel,medium body. One of my faves any time of the year,very,very drinkable !

4.42/5  rDev +15.4%

Pours a hazy, cloudy pale yellow with a medium head. Aroma of sweet cream butter and caramel.

Taste is the same as the aroma: Fluffy, buttery, light biscuity taste with caramel, vanilla and honey. Light wheaty flavors but, surprisingly, no yeast. Also surprising is how not-cloying this beer is, as it could very easily have fallen over the sweetness edge.

Velvety smooth, silky texture -- it's like a carnival in my mouth! Very drinkable, could stay with this one all night. Classified as a weizen but impresses me more as a hybrid cream ale. Best of the Bell's products I've tried, and that's pretty impressive.

4.42/5  rDev +15.4%

Took a few bottles to the beach to do my first reviews. It was a warm, early summer evening, and the perfect time for a summer ale.

A: Deep orange-yellow, very cloudy, and not much head retention

S: Citrus and berries, with a light sunny smell from the hops and the wheat

T: fresh and refreshing, the carbonation is light and cleans out the mouth nicely. ends with light, citrus hops that taste just like the smell, and I get a little spice, especially in the aftertaste.

M: Light and clean, but lingering in the back of the throat due to the wheat. Thirst-quenching.

D: It's a summer ale, you could drink a whole 6-pack easy.

It tastes like a Blue Moon Summer beer to my girlfriend, and I think it's a great summer ale. I like it a lot, and now I finally know what all those Michigan Bell's fans are raving about.

4.42/5  rDev +15.4%

On tap at sharp edge creekhouse outside of Pittsburgh

A: pours a pale golden yellow with a finger of head that reduces down and leaves lots of lacing behind on the glass.

S: very citrusy scent which didn't quite expect, it's actually not intense but us the dominant smell, orange peel and I keep searching for yeast or wheat and it's either barely there or I
Making it up in my head because I just had a saison

T: tastes like someone e put orange slices in my beer, very citrusy, very surprising flavor to me but I like it, it's a very light flavor that isn't intense

M: a little thin but that will gel in the sessionability

D: I want to give this a 5 here because it may be the most sessionable beer I have ever had, but! I can't help but think they could make it even better. Low abv, low abv taste, great easy flavor.

This feels like the grandson of hopslam and the son of two hearted, I'll be continually drinking this for sure.

4.42/5  rDev +15.4%

I was at a Detroit Casino last night when I saw Oberon on tap. I figured I'd take a break from losing money at the blackjack table and have a good beer. It was delicious. I'm hard-pressed to find an American wheat beer better than this. It had a nice orange/gold color with nice head and tasted fruity-sweet. It didn't come with an orange slice either which is a good thing. I hate when people put crap in my beer. I've reviewed this beer out of the bottle and gave it a similar review from what I recall. But I also think that it helps turn luck around because I started doing way better at the blackjack table. I may have to make a tradition out of this now before I start playing from now on...

4.41/5  rDev +15.1%

The pour/swirl/pour produces a hazy yellow color similar to a pear/peach juice mixture. Head is big and billowy, taking a while to settle and leaving plenty of lace in its wake. Some floaters here, due to the intentional agitation, and that only makes me even thirstier. I'm salivating like one of Pavlov's dogs...

Aroma has light essences of peach, pear, wheat, and even fainter elements of sweet spices. Would've liked the aroma to burst out a little more, because everything here is nice, just too mellow.

Flavor is amazing, making it clear that Bell's can do lighter, less extreme beers just as well as the bigger bastards they're known for. Big, big juiciness; tropical and citrus fruits come together with a wheat touch bringing up the bottom end. Bitterness of freshly mown grass in the finish (not that I've ever tasted fresh lawn cuttings). Yeast comes through just a tad, offering an earthy, almost mineral element. Tastes better than any other U.S. pale wheat I've had yet. There's almost no comparison.

Mouthfeel offers succulent creaminess, moderate carbonation (ie. just right), and ample thickness.

This is great. A pleasure. Bell's is clearly a cut above the rest. Don't freak out because it's a Bell's brew under 8%. Highly recommended. Thanks to mnwags for this. Please send more Nick!!!

4.41/5  rDev +15.1%

A- Golden nearly opaque with a small white head

S- Light wheat and a little citrus. Not a whole lot of fragrance going on here

T- Nice balance between the hops and malt. This is surprisingly sweet and great for a nice summer beer, or a year round beer down here in Florida ;-)

M- Nice mouthfeel, the sweetness is present throughout so I think it's part of that mouthfeel as well. Not sickening, just certainly present

D- Love it and I drink it quite often!

4.41/5  rDev +15.1%

Great summer brew, one of my favorites. I've had it on tap many times in years past, most recently last month, but this review is for a 12 oz bottle I brought from a trip to MI.

Poured into a Ommegang chalice. Nice white head, about 1/2", didn't last long or leave any lacing. Visible yeast chunks in the bottom, I love it!

Good smell, not strong, lemons, malt.

Great taste, kind of like a Samuel Adams Summer Ale, but much more so. Great citrus and malt flavor.

Very, very drinkable. After a day swimming and skiing on a lake, this stuff can go down extremely fast. Too bad I can't find it in MA. I also heard that this was supposed to be released in 5L kegs this summer, but never materialized.

4.4/5  rDev +14.9%

I've never tasted a wheat beer as complex as Bells Oberon. Although the appearance threw me off at first (it's a very pale and cloudy), the taste certainly makes up for it. For a wheat beer, it's got its dose of finishing hops, which I love. It's fairly carbonated and has some yeasties floating throughout. As far as drinkability is concerned, there's no other beer that I can think of that I'd rather drink on a summer day than Oberon.

4.4/5  rDev +14.9%

Thanks to my non-BA drinking buddy, Dave, who recently brought this back from MI as part of a mixer-sixer.

The appearance is decent, but nothing impressive. Pours to an almost white, cloudy pale yellow color with a nice pillowy white head. Looks like almost every American Pale Wheat Ale I've ever tried.

The smell is very subdued. A bit wheaty, but nothing that really jumps out.

The taste is good. Has a mild bite from the wheat malt while at the same time being slightly sweet with a very, very minimal hint of banana esters. Quite crisp and refreshing, and very highly quaffable. Makes a great summer brew, but there are too many on the market to make this one a stand-out example.

edit: Oct. 26, 2006. I've tried this beer again after it's distributional debut in the state of IA. On second thought, this beer does indeed stand above its competitors in the pale wheat style. Much hoppier than I remembered it (centennial), though I believe it is much fresher than when I previously had it as well. Very, very drinkable. Like a beer version of tang, but much less tangy.

4.4/5  rDev +14.9%

This beer is a gold-yellow color with a great smell of summer and fruits such as grape. The taste was refreshing and light with a hint of citrus. Overall a great beer. I would definitely try it again.

4.4/5  rDev +14.9%

Pours a cloudy burnt orange with a small white head, not much lacing. Main aroma is orange peel, with a hint of sweet malt. Taste is very balanced...citric and sweet up front with a touch of bitterness on the backend. This brew washes away very clean, and begs for another sip. I could drink this all damn day!

Bell's Oberon Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.