2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bell's Oberon Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Oberon AleBell's Oberon Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 4,155 | Reviews: 1,514 | Show All Ratings:
TheDM

Indiana

3.2/5  rDev -16%

This brew poured a very large invigorated head of finely sized white bubbles and a cloudy orange unfiltered yeasty body. It had a decent hop aroma and was slightly fizzy in its initial mouthfeel while coming to a smooth finish with its mild hop flavor.

07-21-2003 22:25:46 | More by TheDM
sabrills70

3.2/5  rDev -16%

Poured a slightly cloudy straw color with a thin head that disappeared rather quickly. Decent lace, but not great. Smell was yeastywith slight hops and even less malt. Some lemon hints noted as well. Taste is a bit too bitter, that is to say too much I think for a wheat ale. Its over bitterness takes away from its drinkability on a hot smmers day. It is still a very good brew, but not a great one like Bell's is capable of. I do have to add that the six pack I purchased from my local beer store had their entire supply of this at room temp and the package very clearly indicates to "KEEP REFRIGERATED". This may have altered its taste. I guess I will just have to visit the brewery since my parents noe live about 10 miles from there.

10-05-2003 01:50:56 | More by sabrills70
jjhbrfdds

3.2/5  rDev -16%

Pours a hazy yellow color,has a nice head that does lace and lingers,I think this beer is a tad thin some wheat and malt and hop balance a hint of lemon zest but I was not impressed,I could drink this beer all day then never miss it again,its by no means bad but just unimpressive and a tad overpriced,I guess ya call this a gateway beer I suppose its a heavy hitter in the summer months

01-18-2010 16:46:33 | More by jjhbrfdds
boatshoes

3.2/5  rDev -16%

Had this on tap at my local watering hole, The Village Inn, on my last visit.

Appearance- Comes off of the tap a hazy amber-orange with a thin sheet of white head sitting across the top. Dies back to nothing in short order. No real lacing or active beading.

Smell- I don't find a whole lot interesting to be going on here. Smells mildly of wheat, with a cereal graininess as well. Can't say I really pick up on much else. Doesn't smell bad but doesn't really capture my attention.

Taste- Wheat and cereal up front, not a whole lot else. Flavors are mild and not particularly strong, decent but unimpressive. Finishes fairly watery.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouthfeel is alright apart from the finish as mentioned in the flavor profile, which comes across to me as fairly water. In terms of drinkability, it wouldn't be too hard to put back a couple of these, but I find the flavor profile to not be terribly impressive, especially for Bell's. I would reach for most of their other standard offerings to session before Oberon.

Overall, I'm not terribly impressed with Oberon. I've had it a number of times and can't say it has ever really stuck with me. There are many other examples in this and other similar style categories that I'd choose first.

05-26-2010 00:28:38 | More by boatshoes
harrymel

Washington

3.2/5  rDev -16%

A: Pours a yellow golden ale with haziness. A less than single finger, fine and loose white head falls nearly immediately to a sheet of the same with a central dissipating cap. No lacing.

S: Nice and floral. Candied wheat. Slightest of lemon citrus nose. This is a light and airy nose which is not really complex, but nonetheless engaging. Nice.

T: Citrusy. Overly acidic on the initial. The alcohol is evident, which I did not expect, given the level of it. Floral as well here. The yeast is also a key player, simple yeast flavor. The taste is overall, meh.

M: Medium to light with higher carb than anticipated. Finish is off dry.

O: Well, I'm not impressed, but I'm also not disappointed.

04-17-2011 15:09:33 | More by harrymel
rundocrun

Iowa

3.2/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Golden color with a finger of white head that fades within a minute.

S - Almost no aroma to speak of, unfortunately. If I really strain to pick something out, I get a generic bready wheat and floral hop aroma.

T - Mildly sweet up front with moderate hop bitterness that follows through the finish. Some spiced estery banana flavor plays around in the background.

M - Thin body with bright, tingly carbonation. Sweet, sticky finish.

06-11-2011 00:24:38 | More by rundocrun
Marty30

3.2/5  rDev -16%

12 bottle poured into a Weihenstephan glass at fridge temp.

A. Cloudy golden body with a 2 finger fluffy white head.Lacing stuck all over the glass.

S. Smells of lemon and wheat with a bit of pine.A touch of clove.

T. Taste is of lemon hopbite and a smooth earthy finish.

M. Very smooth and creamy mouthfeel with a good bit of carbonation.

Overall not a bad brew don't know if I would seek this out again but I wouldnt turn it away either.

07-09-2011 18:42:01 | More by Marty30
AgentMunky

3.2/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into an Ommegang glass. From notes. Reviewed 14 June 2011.

A: Some stark-white head. Cloudy yellow.

S: Very little. Sweetish. Wheat? Cloves?

T: Sweet, spicy, and light. Clove and/or cinnamon. Vaguely sharp. The aftertaste is delicate and clean. My main complaint is that the spice lends a vaguely artificial vibe to the beer.

M: Slightly above average. Again, light.

O: Maybe least favourite Bell's, though I wasn't partial to Oarsman either. I don't like the spice profile. The beer was actually pretty okay, but I wouldn't have another. Not recommended.

08-09-2011 18:37:38 | More by AgentMunky
tone77

3.2/5  rDev -16%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a cloudy dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head and some debris floating around. Smell is of lemons, some wheat. Taste is wheat, lemons, tangy up front but then a bit mild. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is an average beer.

07-15-2012 15:56:14 | More by tone77
klkatz

3.2/5  rDev -16%

given to us by a neighbor from michigan (thank Lori and Mike)... they suggested drinking with an orange... though in some bars it's a lemon... tried orange... i can see it's good for summer, but no for me.

smells tangy, citrusy - 3

appearance - dark orange, hazy, nice thick head for a wheat... - 4

good mouthfeel - hard to distinguish the nuances of taste

bubbly and refreshing...

overall 3.5

01-05-2013 01:33:49 | More by klkatz
BierReise

3.18/5  rDev -16.5%

Looks like a Belgian Wit, deep honey colored with thin white head., wnd little retention. Aroma is a bit yeasty with heavy wheat malt presence. Very crisp on the palate which reminds me of a belgian style. Flavor is mediocre. A somewhat generic bland flavor to it that reminds me of Blue Moon's white. No great flavors really jumping out at you. Finishes slightly bitter, and a little stale.

06-20-2003 13:06:07 | More by BierReise
oggg

3.18/5  rDev -16.5%

Thanks to my brother for bringing me this one.

Pale yellow but not BMC pale. Weak head, surprisingly. No sediment and not hazy. Mild floral hop aroma. On the tongue this beer is a bit flat; tries to show some wheatiness. Minimal hop bitterness. Not sure if this brew has any life. Quite bland. Maybe an odd estery note towards the end. Not very crisp. So very thin.

Cool label, boring beer.

12-21-2005 23:33:07 | More by oggg
greenbeaner

3.18/5  rDev -16.5%

Poured into a weizen glass, this beer pours a pale, slightly cloudy yellow, with a one and a half fingered head supported by some carbonation rising from the bottom. The bubbles also swirl up quite a bit upon drinking.

Smell is wheaty with hints of mild citrus...lemon and orange, but also has some sour notes up front. Not a strong smell of hops either.

Taste is pretty carbonated up front which quickly dissipates into sourness and lemon citrus. Orange is strongly present too, with some just a hint of banana undertones to the smooth wheat finish.

Mouthfeel is carbonated up front with a smooth medium bodied finish. Leaves a clean crisp feeling in the mouth.

Overall I'm a bit dissapointed with this one...I was expecting just a little bit more complexity from it. Also the small hints of sourness that it had were a pretty big turn off as well...I will say that it's a crisp refreshing beer, and is fitting as a summertime release, but all in all I probably won't go out of my way to purchase it again.

03-29-2007 03:04:12 | More by greenbeaner
emmasdad

Colorado

3.18/5  rDev -16.5%

Thanks to Schmittymack for sharing this one at a recent tasting. Poured a hazy golden color with a small lingering white head. Aromas of wheat, light straw and honey. On the palate, this one was light bodied and smooth, with flavors of wheat, honey and light citrus.

08-19-2011 02:26:06 | More by emmasdad
DrunkMcDermott

3.15/5  rDev -17.3%

Served on-premise at KBC. Cloudy, good color but no real head. Lemony flaver, certainly sptrizy and refreshing. KBC's taproom, the "Eccentric Cafe," though, leaves a little to be desired. Exposed brick just makes it seem cold, not much of crowd (of course it was a football Sunday and they had no TV). Seemed to be run by artsy college students.

12-08-2003 14:40:16 | More by DrunkMcDermott
guinness9880

A-Pours a hazy orange with a nice 2 finger head

S-Smells of a malty lemongrass

T-A very malty beer with hints of citrus, not exactly what I would expect from a summer ale. Doesn't have quite the crisp refreshing taste you would expect from a seasonal of this type. This seems just very ordinary nothing jumps out tast wise. Mild carbonation with a thin mouthfeel nothing to great.

This isn't a bad beer just not what I would be looking for in a summer seasonal, there are better examples (Gumballhead!)

04-01-2006 00:56:42 | More by guinness9880
lpayette

Vermont

3.15/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle, purchased in Rockford, Illinois on business.

Appearance- The yeast makes this one extremely cloudy. Almost carrot juice color. Surprisingly little head. Bright orange.

Smell- Over-ripe fruits - banana and strawberry. Vague wheat.

Taste- Bold for a wheat beer. Strong wheat flavors followed by some tangerine-like notes and a slice of banana. Sweet and juicy flavors.

Mouthfeel- Similar to both a fruit juice and a soda. Rather thick for the style.

Drinkability- An odd beer- not at all what I was expecting, but perhaps worth another try.

02-15-2007 01:55:37 | More by lpayette
mjc410

Vermont

3.15/5  rDev -17.3%

I bought a case of this, and I'm almost halfway in now, so I think it's high time for a review.

The pour into my Penn Weizen glass raises a very short head that's quite literally gone with the wind (I find that if I don't pour very lightly, the beer loses what little carbonation that it has, and tastes dead). The lacing is very spotty and slick. Below, the body is a bright golden yellow that lets color but not images pass through.

The nose is very light and bready, with a tiny bit of acidity and yeast. Otherwise, that's it. Really lacking here.

Taste:it's light and refreshing, with just a bit of wheat flavor and light banana undertones. It's a bit tangy at the end, and sweet.

The mouth is fairly light, with carbonation that seems only tenuously involved with the liquid. There's just enough as long you pour lightly.

If anything, buying a case of this due to its reputation will hopefully, finally teach me to not make whole case purchases without sampling first. It's not a bad beer, and it certainly is refreshing, but it leaves a lot to be desired.

05-20-2007 20:43:49 | More by mjc410
AndoBrew

Georgia

3.15/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

*i did not like and would not buy*

app: looks like a fish tank, strange big bubbles and lots of floating fish food.not much head. looks like what comes out after you have a lot of vitamins.

smell: smells like a car air freshiner i use to have, of course mixed with some mellow malts.

taste: mellow smooth round easy going. lil uneasy after taste, this is a nice but odd beer. zingy hop citrus, but thick and coating wheat.. strange blend for me..

mf: way to coating and gooey.

drinkable?: not for me. to thick to odd. but i guess you could chug it??

09-01-2007 23:02:44 | More by AndoBrew
jeonseh

Indiana

3.15/5  rDev -17.3%

Got this from a bottle of this year's batch of Oberon and poured into a GI Tulip.

A - A hazy, cloudy deep orange with hints of golden and amber as well. Can see a good amount of carbonation running up through this one and also a nice haze that seems to float through the glass. Poured with a quickly dissipating one thumb head that comes to sit at about a half sitting on top.

S - Tangerine and honey seem to be the biggest hits to me. A sweet orange is what I'd call it. Also, there seems to be a hint of banana that one often finds in the Hefes.

T - Hmm can definitely taste the wheat aspect and a hint of banana and clove. That sweet orange is there but not as much as I would like it to be. Also seems to have a bit of a hop bitterness that comes out of nowhere. Hmm, on the whole, this really doesn't even compare to when I had it on tap. Its good but there is not that big orange taste. Here, I just feel so dominated by the wheat, banana, and the bitterness which seems a bit unbalanced to me.

MF - A big, almost chewy beer that sits in the mouth. Kinda heavy and has a nice bready aspect which goes well with the wheat part. Light carbonation in there despite the amount you see in the glass.

D- Overall, an okay american pale wheat ale. I don't know what it was but really was disappointed especially after having this on tap. Has a bit of a bitter taste that just seems out of place to me. I would maybe get and try this in the mini keg when it comes out but I'd much rather reach for a Gumballhead for a nice, tasty summer ale especially given the common distribution area.

04-13-2008 17:48:18 | More by jeonseh
bunnyhustle

3.15/5  rDev -17.3%

Pours a nice hazy light gold color with frothy white head with good retention and lacing. Smell is a bit earthy, some grass that is, and bit of citrus, some malt as well. Taste is good but somewhat bland. I went to school in Kalamazoo and never understood the Oberon hype and now that I'm out, and a BA, I still dont. Some malt, some grassy hops, a kiss of citrus, but otherwise pretty bland. Mouthfeel is light and crisp which does seem about perfect. Overall not bad, just a little over-hyped IMO.

08-06-2008 03:33:41 | More by bunnyhustle
sholland119

3.15/5  rDev -17.3%

Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a fluffy white head. The head dissipated quickly and leaves no real lacing.

Smell has a bit of grainy malt but otherwise nothing really going on.

Taste has a bit of sweet fruit and a bit of spice but, as with the nose, the taste is disappointingly subdued.

Mouthfeel is crisp and clean. This is drinkable but bland. I was fond of last year's batch but this year something is missing...like flavor.

HV

08-11-2008 15:24:55 | More by sholland119
gabeerfan

Georgia

3.15/5  rDev -17.3%

Poured a hazy orange-gold. Fairly thin head that falls to a thin ring. Some floaties in the glass. No evidence of carbonation in the glass, but it is there.
Somewhat light aromas. Mostly wheat with some lemon, orange, spice notes.
Wheaty flavors with orange juice, honey, and hints of lemon. Spice is very faint, almost undetectable.
Medium-light mouthfeel. The hidden carbonation come out in the mouthfeel. Gets a little watery near the back of the palate.
Farily drinkable. Decent flavors.
This would be a good lawnmower beer. Hopefully we will start getting Bell's in GA soon so I can try some other offerings.

08-16-2008 00:29:01 | More by gabeerfan
pschul4

Sippin on this sizzurp with mah boi areich6

A- Pours a hazy light yellow with a whispy 1 inch white head

S- Can obviously pick up the wheat in the nose with a few hints of pale malts. Not a lot of hops but a trace I would say

T- Very light taste. Just some wheat and citrus notes that are too orangy for my liking.

M- Thicker than I would expct for a PWA

O- Not on the same level of gumball head or sumpin sumpin, not even close. Not awful though

04-19-2012 03:14:17 | More by pschul4
Shaw

3.13/5  rDev -17.8%

My friend's girlfriend brought a sampler of Bell's brews down to Florida from her home in Indiana. Thanks Anna and Adam for sharing. I haven't seen Bell's in Florida.

I have to confess that I like the name for this beer. Why not name your summer ale after a Shakespeare character? Good choice. The beer doesn't quite live up to the great name, though.

Maybe it's because I'm a big fan of German wheat beers. American wheats seem bland to me. But since I just had Samuel Adams' Hefeweizen, I think Bell's Oberon Ale is just a tad too light. I would hope for a bit more substance. But this beer is still quite drinkable. It is a decent summer choice for drinking on a hot day.

07-02-2004 06:48:21 | More by Shaw
Bell's Oberon Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.