Bell's Oberon Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Oberon AleBell's Oberon Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002

Bell's Oberon is a wheat ale fermented with Bell's signature house ale yeast, mixing a spicy hop character with mildly fruity aromas. The addition of wheat malt lends a smooth mouthfeel, making it a classic summer beer.
Ratings: 6,045 | Reviews: 1,717
4.81/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer means summer is here in MI. Very not certain slightly citrus flavor of paired with an orange wedge. Very refreshing. Cloudy appearance. Sediment in bottles. Excellent wheat.

4.8/5  rDev +26%

Oberon signifies the start of summer. Serve with a orange, and allow a bit of foam to form to induce the C02 and release the great flavor. I enjoy this beer as it is in the middle of my hops tolerance range with Bells two hearted ale being too strong for me, I opt for this beer for all the summer season. I think of it as a bit like blue moon but with much better hops flavoring.

4.8/5  rDev +26%

A: Hazy golden body topped with a whispy white minuscule head.

S: Floral and citrus hops mixed with bread malts. Not very much to write about with appearance or scent. Very straightforward.

T: Tangy wheat with a small bit of vanilla on the front. Some fruity spices and light herbal hop flavor in the middle. The finish is bread malts with some coriander.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

D: I put the beer down in about 10-15 seconds. Once I got my first taste, I couldn't stop drinking it. Nectar of the gods sums this up perfectly. Mix the PERFECT taste with a decent ABV and you have a session brew.

4.8/5  rDev +26%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is orangey-gold in color. It smells slightly of citrus and wheat. The taste has hints of citrus with bitter notes (like an orange peel) with just a hint of spices. The body is excellent. Easy to drink on either a warm or cold day. I enjoy it with an orange slice.

4.8/5  rDev +26%

I purchased a 6-pack of Oberon from my local Michigan beer store in May. This is Batch #8397.

The appearance is excellent with a wonderful golden hazy color.

The smell is wonderfully clean with a Witbier profile. It's taste is fantastically clean with a corriander mouthfeel.

Being 5.8% alcohol by volume it's definitely not a session beer.

4.79/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A great beer for summer. However this beer isnt a beer a beer that can be drank all year round but on a nice hot summer day it is perfect. The taste kinda gets old after 4 beers so i limit myself to a six pack. overall a good beer and i look forward every baseball season to drinking some of this beer

4.78/5  rDev +25.5%

From a mix-and-match six pack. Packaged on 5/7/14.

Appearance: Pours a very hazy gold with a hint of orange. 1/2" thick, foamy, just off-white head settles to lasting lacing. Consistent, small effervescence.

Aroma: Slight fruity hoppiness right off the bat. Orange peel fruitiness in the background with a clean, grassy bittering hop smell. Smell gets sweeter as it warms.

Taste: Clean, salty, tingly arrival. Slightly tart. Flash of malty sweetness across mid-palate, then a strong, clean (but lasting) bitterness. Leaves me wanting another sip right away.

Mouthfeel: Small bubbles, highly carbonated in a good way. I keep expecting it to feel slick, but it never does. Midweight.

Overall: This is one of those beers I buy consistently every year, and having it today reminds me why. This is a well-balanced, well-crafted, easy drinking beer. Spot on for style.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is the definition of summer. Refreshing, smooth, crisp, and citrusy. I do believe it needs to come from on tap, cans/bottles don't provide the same enjoyment.

4.77/5  rDev +25.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Great beer! Always look forward to it coming out every year

4.77/5  rDev +25.2%

A - A murky orange-gold. Unfiltered, with visible particulate suspended in the glass. A medium head with decent retention and moderate lacing.

S - Literally smells "bright"; it's not entirely describable. Wheat, orange and yeast. Smell is full and balanced.

T - Robust wheat beer flavor. Hints of orange and spice - just perfect. What wheat beers like Shock Top and Blue Moon wish they could taste like.

M - Thicker than your average summer beer. However, not heavy in the least.

D - On a hot summer day, one of these could easily turn into six in no time.

Among my friends, Oberon has become almost synonymous with summer. Minikegs of Oberon, which are only available in the summertime, are essential for any barbeque, camping trip or casual get together. I have yet to try a better summer wheat beer.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Michigan's original. Solid beer. 90/100 Good brew

4.76/5  rDev +24.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Great beer, not as strong as I remember but I still enjoy it. It came out on march 23 and I just bought it for the first and definitely not the the last time of the season. I believe this is the best beer Bell's makes. In my opinion the mini keg does taste a little better than the bottle.

4.73/5  rDev +24.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

One of the quintessential summer beers. When it's 90 and humid out, my favorite beer to reach for. Sweet but not too sweet, nice thick feel, beautiful cloudy appearance, and enough hops to balance it out. Not a hop bomb, just a great summer brew.

4.72/5  rDev +23.9%

Lucky enough to have a friend who makes mid west beer runs and to able to sample this. Pours an orange amber with lots of good stuff floating around. There is an overpowering orange aroma going on from start to finish, really amazing stuff, I can only imagine what it tastes like fresh. This is a perfect summer beer, it is incredibly refreshing and worth tracking down if possible.

4.72/5  rDev +23.9%

As stated on the label... the color and scent of a summer afternoon. This beer is a great warm weather companion that will not only "quench" a thirst but also leave the imbiber wanting more!

A= A rich amber color with requisite cloudiness. Upon glass entry, a reasonable head and resulting lace as consumption ensued.

S= Definate light fruit with a hint of sweet wheat.

T= Smooth and quenching with an off-dry finish.

M= 30% weight to viscosity ratio. Chewy.

D= "Session" ready .

Pairing suggestion: Puffed rice encrusted talapia with mango chutney.

4.71/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Fantastic beer, deliciously hoppy taste.

4.7/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Much better (and I assume fresher) than last time I had this beer. There was a big malty presence that was clearly the basis for the classic wheat beer flavors, Which were delicious anyways. I could taste a little alcohol, which was definitely an attribute of this beer. Excellent wheat beer, served at my request without citrus garnish. This is a good beer for any summer wheat occasion.

4.7/5  rDev +23.4%

A= Pours a bright cheerful yellow color that's hazy and a small head rises from it leaving just a soapy ring around the glass.
S= Great wheat and orange smell. Maybe some lemon in there as well. Summer in a bottle?
T= Very flavorful. Smooth wheat taste and of course some orange flavor finishing with a little lemon. I really enjoy this taste
M= Light and smooth beyond belief
D= Amazing! I'll be drinking a lot of these this summer.

4.69/5  rDev +23.1%

Paid $1.29 for a 12 oz. bottle. Looks like a wheat beer in the glass. Smells of sweet oranges, blossomy, light fresh malts, very fragrant and quite exceptional. taste is just like it smells with a touch of honey but just barely. Plays around on the tongue a bit with lots of subtle and faint flavors.

One of the most drinkable beers I've ever tasted. This is my favorite beer from Bell's next to their Expedition Stout.

4.69/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Look: golden hazy color
smell: sourdough bread, lemon citrus
taste: smooth, crisp and refreshing
aftertaste: doesn't linger, nice dissipating taste
overall: one of my favorites

4.68/5  rDev +22.8%

First Oberon ever for me. Bought at Friar Tucks in Crestwood, MO. 7.99/6pk!

Poured into a pint glass.

A-Beautiful light orange. Truly looks like summer in a glass as they describe it.

S- Actually oddly sweet on the nose. Some orange, maybe some kind of spice.

T-Really pleasing. The spice is there, great backbone of malt and sweetness. Just kills any wheat beers I have had.

D-Fantastic. I cant wait until the weather heats up a bit so I can cool down with this. I feel like I could drink this from the bottle too and still enjoy it if I am at a park or something. Lived up to the hype for me.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great summer beer! My favorite beer to drink while working outside! Too bad it's seasonal. I would love it year round.

4.68/5  rDev +22.8%

This American wheat beer pours a bright yellow amber with a creamy white head that sticks around throughout. The nose is quite light, with wheat, clove and a touch of coriander -- in some ways, this smells more like a Belgian witbier than a German-style wheat beer. Maybe the only thing missing is orange peel? The taste is quite pleasing, with plenty of citrus notes up front, followed by some doughy yeast, nice acidity, and a hop-based tingle at the end. Very well balanced. Perfect body, nicely acidic, flavorful. This one's a winner, and it gets bonus points for being a wheat beer from America and not sucking.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I like the way it tasted a lot and beer advocate won't let me post my outlier review without a comment.

4.67/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

One of my favorite beers! A scent of oranges greets you as you pour it out of the bottle. It is a brilliantly clear deep golden color. It has a distinctively wheaty, yeasty flavor, with a bit of hop on the end, rounded with a citrus flavor. The tartness of the citrus notes make it a crisp, refreshing beer, perfect for a summer day.

Bell's Oberon Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.