Bell's Oberon Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Oberon AleBell's Oberon Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002

Bell's Oberon is a wheat ale fermented with Bell's signature house ale yeast, mixing a spicy hop character with mildly fruity aromas. The addition of wheat malt lends a smooth mouthfeel, making it a classic summer beer.
Reviews: 1,649 | Hads: 6,128
4.73/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

One of the quintessential summer beers. When it's 90 and humid out, my favorite beer to reach for. Sweet but not too sweet, nice thick feel, beautiful cloudy appearance, and enough hops to balance it out. Not a hop bomb, just a great summer brew. (249 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I love this beer! One of the more delicious wheat beers out there. Some say it is overrated, but I say HOGWASH! This beer is frikkin delicious! Just try this beer....you will not be disappointed! (195 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +22.6%

Lucky enough to have a friend who makes mid west beer runs and to able to sample this. Pours an orange amber with lots of good stuff floating around. There is an overpowering orange aroma going on from start to finish, really amazing stuff, I can only imagine what it tastes like fresh. This is a perfect summer beer, it is incredibly refreshing and worth tracking down if possible. (382 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +22.6%

As stated on the label... the color and scent of a summer afternoon. This beer is a great warm weather companion that will not only "quench" a thirst but also leave the imbiber wanting more!

A= A rich amber color with requisite cloudiness. Upon glass entry, a reasonable head and resulting lace as consumption ensued.

S= Definate light fruit with a hint of sweet wheat.

T= Smooth and quenching with an off-dry finish.

M= 30% weight to viscosity ratio. Chewy.

D= "Session" ready .

Pairing suggestion: Puffed rice encrusted talapia with mango chutney. (555 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Much better (and I assume fresher) than last time I had this beer. There was a big malty presence that was clearly the basis for the classic wheat beer flavors, Which were delicious anyways. I could taste a little alcohol, which was definitely an attribute of this beer. Excellent wheat beer, served at my request without citrus garnish. This is a good beer for any summer wheat occasion. (388 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +22.1%

A= Pours a bright cheerful yellow color that's hazy and a small head rises from it leaving just a soapy ring around the glass.
S= Great wheat and orange smell. Maybe some lemon in there as well. Summer in a bottle?
T= Very flavorful. Smooth wheat taste and of course some orange flavor finishing with a little lemon. I really enjoy this taste
M= Light and smooth beyond belief
D= Amazing! I'll be drinking a lot of these this summer. (433 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +21.8%

Paid $1.29 for a 12 oz. bottle. Looks like a wheat beer in the glass. Smells of sweet oranges, blossomy, light fresh malts, very fragrant and quite exceptional. taste is just like it smells with a touch of honey but just barely. Plays around on the tongue a bit with lots of subtle and faint flavors.

One of the most drinkable beers I've ever tasted. This is my favorite beer from Bell's next to their Expedition Stout. (423 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Look: golden hazy color
smell: sourdough bread, lemon citrus
taste: smooth, crisp and refreshing
aftertaste: doesn't linger, nice dissipating taste
overall: one of my favorites (177 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +21.6%

First Oberon ever for me. Bought at Friar Tucks in Crestwood, MO. 7.99/6pk!

Poured into a pint glass.

A-Beautiful light orange. Truly looks like summer in a glass as they describe it.

S- Actually oddly sweet on the nose. Some orange, maybe some kind of spice.

T-Really pleasing. The spice is there, great backbone of malt and sweetness. Just kills any wheat beers I have had.

D-Fantastic. I cant wait until the weather heats up a bit so I can cool down with this. I feel like I could drink this from the bottle too and still enjoy it if I am at a park or something. Lived up to the hype for me. (600 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +21.6%

This American wheat beer pours a bright yellow amber with a creamy white head that sticks around throughout. The nose is quite light, with wheat, clove and a touch of coriander -- in some ways, this smells more like a Belgian witbier than a German-style wheat beer. Maybe the only thing missing is orange peel? The taste is quite pleasing, with plenty of citrus notes up front, followed by some doughy yeast, nice acidity, and a hop-based tingle at the end. Very well balanced. Perfect body, nicely acidic, flavorful. This one's a winner, and it gets bonus points for being a wheat beer from America and not sucking. (616 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

One of my favorite beers! A scent of oranges greets you as you pour it out of the bottle. It is a brilliantly clear deep golden color. It has a distinctively wheaty, yeasty flavor, with a bit of hop on the end, rounded with a citrus flavor. The tartness of the citrus notes make it a crisp, refreshing beer, perfect for a summer day. (333 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +21%

2003 version served chilled in a pint glass.

Appearance: Cloudy, golden yellow with a modest white head. Only retains a small ring of bubbles after a minute or so. No lacing to speak of.

Smell: Buttery, yeasty, and vanilla aromas, with faint orange and honeysuckle if you look for it. Wow!

Taste: A yeasty, bready taste with lemon and orange flavors in the background. Nummy.

Mouthfeel: Slightly buttery mouthfeel, but very light on body.

Drinkability: Oh great beergods, why doth thou taunt me so? Such heavenly ambrosia is only available to me via the kindness of other BA's. There's a certain Joni Mitchell song from the Blue album that pretty much says how much of this stuff I'd love to have.

Again, a hearty thanks to feloniousmonk for opportunity to try this. (784 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +20.8%

Poured into a standard pint glass
Deep, tawny, orange/gold with big, fluffy head.
Aroma-Fresh wheat, mown grass,and orange zest
Taste-Clean wheat, orange citrus with a bit of orange-rind bitterness in the finish. Very refreshing and drinkable. Sessionable and "pitcher-worthy'.
Oberon has a bit of a cult following in this part of the country, (mainly Michigan and Northwest Ohio). The release of Oberon in early Spring means that Summer is just around the corner. The last few years it's release has also coincided with the Detroit Tigers opening day, which is considered to be a holiday in these parts. Oberon is also special to me because it is the first craft beer that I ever tried, and opened my eyes (and taste buds) to the great new world of great tasting crafted beer.
My mouth is watering. Get Some!!! (813 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +20.8%

Brewed and kegged one week ago (3-25). keg tapped 5 minutes ago.
It's a hotly anticipated sign of spring in the Midwest, the arrival of the Bell's Oberon, and I'm ready for my first, fresh sip of the season.
Color: a thick, opaque yellow/orange body. Tap Oberon is thick and cloudy at the top and the bottom of the keg, but it pours clear after a few a few pints are pulled. Head is nice and white, thick and lasting.
Aroma is delicate, but brimming with zesty citrusy notes, spices, sea-foam. In a nutshell, the tingly orange flavor dominates Oberon's taste profile. Carbonation is low, yeasty component of this unfiltered brew is tasty, tasty, tasty and adds significantly to the supremely delicious and downable mouthfeel.
As with many other Bell's products, the style is not presented clearly in the name or on the label. This used to be called Solsun, until a Mexican Brewery took umbrage. I believe they steal the name from Shakespeare's Fairy King in "A Midsummer Night's Dream." It is described as "an American wheat ale with European ingedients", which still doesn't answer all the questions. Czech saaz hops are used, and imported (from where?)wheat malt, but no curacao zest or coriander are mentioned. That aside, it tastes more like a Belgian witbier than anything else, but, like many Kalamazoo offerings, it belongs in a class by itself.
This beer plays very lightly on the palate, delivering zingy, spicy, and very fruity hops, with an utterly delicate, and thirst-quenching texture. Wheat isn't tasted as strongly as in other wheat beers, goes down very smooth, but still adds considerably to the texture. This is a beer that makes itself at home in the mouth, and makes one quite comfortable during it's stay. Long, delicious finish. Light body. So easy to drink! Everlasting finish!
There are many tasty, thirst-quenching wheats out there, but only one Oberon. The fruitiness really pushes it forward! Supreme acheivement, and a beer I'll be enjoying all summer long! (1,992 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +20.5%

Nice citrusy wheat for the summer. Tastes very smooth and has nice undertoes of citrus and floral. Had in bottles as well as on tap. The tap is much better than the bottle. I would still buy this ale for those long summer boat trips.

The mini-keg can (5l) size is also as good as the tap. I recommend no garnishes with orange or lime because I feel that the acidity of the fruits change the flavor some. (407 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 5

I initially thought this beer was supposed to be of a very strong orange flavor because of the picture and how people always put oranges in it, but now I know it is a very nice wheat ale with a citrus yeast to add that flavor. Also, Larry Bell's intentions were to never have orange slices in this beer. Very light beer with good flavor for a nice summer day. (359 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +20.3%

A: Nice cloudy golden beer, I love the cloudy stuff.
S: Not a whole lot to me on the nose, but smells a little yeasty with some malts.
T: For a wheat beer it has a little maltiness to it, none of the off putting overly wheat, yeast in a lot of summer wheat beers.

This has become my go to summer beer and I can drink it almost any time. With a meal, slowly or drink one fast after some excercise. I always have a 6 pack on hand. (429 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +20.3%

Oberon Ale is my favorite summer brew plain & simple. I love weiss type beers in the summer because they are so refreshing. Oberon is unusual and simply damn tasty with a slice of lemon. The appearance is the usual cloudy weiss look but a bit more golden. The aroma is unique with citrus notes and nutty overtones. The taste is solid with a drinkability to last all summer long!! Sit on your deck and sip an Oberon as the sun sets on a weekend evening; almost heaven (IMHO). If you like summer weiss brews, this one will become one of your favorites quickly. (558 characters)

Bottle poured into weizen

Three and a half finger head

Burnt orange and yeast turbid

T: Citrus, orange, apricots: from the whole cone hops
Refreshingly bitter finish!

S: Oranges, yeast, and booze

M: perfectly balanced

Overall, have this beer!!! Buy it and try it on draught as well!! (289 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Before Bell's was ubiquitous in northwest Ohio, a friend brought this down from a golf trip in Michigan and used it to pay me for some work I did around his place. Kicking back a few of these on a summer afternoon watching baseball in his garage may have some influence over me, but a bright glass of this on a warm summer day equals happiness. The complex aroma compliments the brightness of the beer. It may look and smell better than it tastes, but that's not a bad thing. (476 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +20%

Sampled in a 12 oz bottle.

Poured a cloudy honey color witha a faint head that remained throughout and provided good lacing.

The aromas from Oberon where honey, orange peel, banana bread, cinamon, wheat, and floral hints.

Tastes of honey, citrus, butterscotch, and orange cream. Medium body, smooth, with a faint bitter finishes that goes down very smoothly.

A slightly unique wheat beer, but fantastic and one of my new overall favorite beers. (456 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +20%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

There's a reason why this is the leader of Bell's Brewery. It's a great beer. It's great to drink on a warm day. Your friends drink it too. It's on tap just about everywhere (In Michigan at least...). It comes with an orange, sometimes. There is a great amount of citrus and the Saaz hops really bring it all together. Overall, one of my favorites. (348 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I love this beer for the summertime. It has a bright dark golden hue along with a lively mouthfeel. It is great for the summertime because it has a very crisp and citrusy flavor. It has a slight finish of yeast and hops. I think that a Oberon is similar to my favorite beer, Blue Moon. Finish the beer off with a slice of orange makes it a perfect beer for a summer day. (370 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +19.5%

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A: Pours a pale gold color with about a finger of white creamy head and it is very cloudy. (Note: I pour the floaties in so this is part of the cloudiness. Another Note: I am not downgrading the score due to cloudiness/floaties because it does tell you to decant, but I like them!)

S: Smells very fruity and bready, not much else to say, has a good nose to it.

T: Strong flavors of wheat hit the palette. Following this is a nice perfectly crisp citrus hops to balance the flavor. I also get a nice yeasty taste from the floaties.

Overall: This is one of my favorite beers. It is immediately replaced whenever I run out. I love the balance and flavors in this beer on a summer day. I squealed in enjoyment when I saw the sticker at the liquor store saying it was back, and I don't squeal often. Perfect outdoor beer (which is why I almost always pick up a pitcher when at the UW Terrace). If you haven't had this beer yet, GET IT! (968 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

To me this beer smells, tastes, is summer. Served on the patio of nice little bar in Dublin, OH. The waitress brought the draft served with a orange slice on the rim of the glass. I was apprehensive about the orange at first, so I ordered another one without the orange slice in order to do a side-by-side comparison. I was shocked, the orange sliced beer was actually pretty damn good.
It pours a nice bronze-orange color with a thin white head. The body is a little cloudy, but hey it should be. The taste was fruity, citrus, and breadlike. A remarkably smooth drinking beer that you won't even realize that you drank ten or twelve of them till you get your tab. I recommend this be consumed on a patio in the sun, then well into the night..... (747 characters)

Bell's Oberon Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.