Bell's Oberon Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Oberon AleBell's Oberon Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002

Bell's Oberon is a wheat ale fermented with Bell's signature house ale yeast, mixing a spicy hop character with mildly fruity aromas. The addition of wheat malt lends a smooth mouthfeel, making it a classic summer beer.
Reviews: 1,675 | Hads: 6,288
4.62/5  rDev +20.6%

Sampled in a 12 oz bottle.

Poured a cloudy honey color witha a faint head that remained throughout and provided good lacing.

The aromas from Oberon where honey, orange peel, banana bread, cinamon, wheat, and floral hints.

Tastes of honey, citrus, butterscotch, and orange cream. Medium body, smooth, with a faint bitter finishes that goes down very smoothly.

A slightly unique wheat beer, but fantastic and one of my new overall favorite beers.

4.62/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

There's a reason why this is the leader of Bell's Brewery. It's a great beer. It's great to drink on a warm day. Your friends drink it too. It's on tap just about everywhere (In Michigan at least...). It comes with an orange, sometimes. There is a great amount of citrus and the Saaz hops really bring it all together. Overall, one of my favorites.

4.61/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I love this beer for the summertime. It has a bright dark golden hue along with a lively mouthfeel. It is great for the summertime because it has a very crisp and citrusy flavor. It has a slight finish of yeast and hops. I think that a Oberon is similar to my favorite beer, Blue Moon. Finish the beer off with a slice of orange makes it a perfect beer for a summer day.

4.6/5  rDev +20.1%

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A: Pours a pale gold color with about a finger of white creamy head and it is very cloudy. (Note: I pour the floaties in so this is part of the cloudiness. Another Note: I am not downgrading the score due to cloudiness/floaties because it does tell you to decant, but I like them!)

S: Smells very fruity and bready, not much else to say, has a good nose to it.

T: Strong flavors of wheat hit the palette. Following this is a nice perfectly crisp citrus hops to balance the flavor. I also get a nice yeasty taste from the floaties.

Overall: This is one of my favorite beers. It is immediately replaced whenever I run out. I love the balance and flavors in this beer on a summer day. I squealed in enjoyment when I saw the sticker at the liquor store saying it was back, and I don't squeal often. Perfect outdoor beer (which is why I almost always pick up a pitcher when at the UW Terrace). If you haven't had this beer yet, GET IT!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

To me this beer smells, tastes, is summer. Served on the patio of nice little bar in Dublin, OH. The waitress brought the draft served with a orange slice on the rim of the glass. I was apprehensive about the orange at first, so I ordered another one without the orange slice in order to do a side-by-side comparison. I was shocked, the orange sliced beer was actually pretty damn good.
It pours a nice bronze-orange color with a thin white head. The body is a little cloudy, but hey it should be. The taste was fruity, citrus, and breadlike. A remarkably smooth drinking beer that you won't even realize that you drank ten or twelve of them till you get your tab. I recommend this be consumed on a patio in the sun, then well into the night.....

4.6/5  rDev +20.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. This American Pale Wheat Ale poured a hazy lemon color and it produced a very nice white head that has great retention. The lace is average. The aroma is full of soft wheat and pear. The taste of this wheat ale is very nice. It is very drinkable, and it is light in body. The flavor consists of wheat, green apple and pears. There is also a nice hint of floral hops thrown in. Overall it is nice and sweet at the start and finishes crisp and somewhat sour on the backend. This is an awesome summer beer. This might be one of my favorite wheat beers that I have ever tried. I will be stocking up the fridge with this summer treat!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

What a great seasonal beer. When I say seasonal, I mean late spring and summer.

The best of the summer beers. I am a stout / dark beer enthusiast, but during the summer, this is as good as it gets. I love the flavor, not light, not too much citrus, it is great for a really hot summer day.

4.6/5  rDev +20.1%

For starters this beer has a great head, fairly good lacing and somewhat notable head retention. I was expecting more in the way of "the head" with this beer, however it could be my glass. The color of this beer is lemon yellow. It reminds me of the lemon squares that my grandmother used to always make. What really surprises me about this beer's appearance is the clarity of it. I was expecting something much cloudier due to the high wheat content and bottle conditioning of this beer. I was expecting something cloudy, and more opaque, this beer is better described as hazy.

edit: now that the entire bottle is in my glass the appearance is much more appropriate for a wheat beer. Cloudy and Opaque.

Wheat malt is apparant in the nose of this beer. Floral and citrus tones are also apparent in the aroma of this beer. Smells much like one would expect from an American Pale Ale, with the exception of the wheat influence. Hops could be a bit more pronounced in my opinion.

This is a great brew. The distict wheat character is the first and foremost flavor tasted on the palate. After that a floral/citrus hop influence is easily recognized. This beer really hits the spot on a hot summer day. (Kinda going off memmory here, I'm sitting drinking on right now, but I think my tongue got burnt the other day. I remember the taste being very reminiscent of an APA, that was a few days ago when I cracked my first bottle open.)

Medium bodied on the palate, medium carbonation. What else can I say, I don't think that there is anything that could be possibly better on a hot summer day, too bad today isn't a scorcher. This beer is easy to drink, one that I will definitely get more of. Said it enough already, but I can't help but stress how good this beer is on a hot day.

4.6/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

:) REALLY THURST QUENCHING! Smells REFRESHING! Got 1st 6 pac Saturday after work. Had to get another 6pac Sunday to watch 2014 NBA Championship. Even tasted great with Sunday dinner(Smoked Baby Back Ribs & Sauerkraut) Only small down side was making sure I got the residue out the bottom of the bottle by pouring 3/4 of the brew into my glass then swirling the rest around the bottle until residue loosened up; then pour the remainder in my glass. (Got to get all that flavor in my glass! (SMILING) Ma New Summer Brew! :)

4.59/5  rDev +19.8%

Have had this one on tap at several bars and restaurants, always served in a pint glass and usually with an orange slice (though I usually separate it from the beer). Sweet smell and taste that goes down very smooth. My favorite beer in this style, since it has more flavor than comparable beers.

4.58/5  rDev +19.6%

Purchased a six pack solely on the basis of it's grade here at BA. Medium foam head on a beautiful cloudy gold body. Smells of citrus and banana, with a little floral hint. Taste is near perfection, with the citrus accentuating but not overpowering. Wheat could be just a tad stronger. Very thick on the mouth, like I need a fork to eat it. This is a very, very good brew, among the best American Wheat Ale's I've had.

4.57/5  rDev +19.3%

Aroma: Fruity Esters, Slightly Sweet with a Pleasantly Clean Hop Aroma.
Appearance: Cloudy, Golden Appearance with a Dense White Head.
Flavor: Malty up front with Huge Fruity Esters Balanced with a Fruity/spicey Hop Bitterness, Probably Saaz Hops. Hint of Biscuit or Bready Flavor From the Wheat Malt. Slight Alcohol Warmth. A lot Fruitier if you Swirl the Yeast at the Bottom of the Bottle and add it to your Glass.
Mouthfeel: Medium-Full Bodied Ale
Overall Impression: Oberon is the First Sign of Michigan Summertime-Thick Humid Air and Mosquitoes. Bell's Launches their Summer American Wheat Beer. Perfect beer for those "Up North" Michigan Nights. This is the Beer that turned me onto Homebrewing. This is probably one of the Best Beers I Have Ever Had.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Great beer for a good mood with a bright dark golden hue and full, lively mouthfeel. Crisp, citrus flavor is very relaxing with a slight finish of yeast and hops. I love this beer. Wish it was available all year long, but then the opening day would not be aas fun. I equate Oberon to the McRib, in as its scarcity makes it even more desirable. Great Michigan Beer from a great brewery!

4.57/5  rDev +19.3%

Pours a super hazy golden with a nice fluffy head that sinks just a little too quickly. Some large yeasties are suspended in this brew. Smell is of floral, slightly spicy hops and some lemony citrus. Sharp lemony/orangey citrus flavor on tongue as well as some nice spicy hoppiness. Some light, bready yeastiness is detectable as well. Crisp and refreshing, this is one of the best summer brews I have had. Very refreshing and extremely drinkable. My only regret is that this beer isn't in circulation down here in VA. Thanks to Deuce for the sample.

4.57/5  rDev +19.3%

Poured from bottle to Sam Adams glass.

Appearance> Golden in color. Very clear, not much haze at all. Long-lasting white head.

Smell> First smell hit me with room-temperature smashed strawberries. It smelled a lot like I was making strawberries and shortcake, nice warm-sweet aroma. Citrus hit after the strawberry and then I could smell the wheat coming through. Light and wonderful.

Taste> Light to medium wheat flavor, hops come through, but definite fruit as well as other citrus notes (read the smell description above).

Mouthfeel> Medium carbonation, medium body.

Overall> Exceptional session beer. Very smooth and the fruit and other citrus notes make this great. Not overwhelming with the body and it's an all-around great American wheat beer.

4.57/5  rDev +19.3%

oberon is so smooth you can easily drink a sixer in a session but at 5.8 ABV you will feel it. it is a superb summer wheat with a saaz hops bite that lingers with floral/ citrus overtones i love this beer from april till october every year. i am fortunate to have bells beers available and reccommend it if your in the midwest to try any or all of the beers from this great brewer.

4.57/5  rDev +19.3%

I don't understand some of the tepid reviews of this beer, seems people are forgeting to review within the style and are instead reviewing against big beers. That being said, here goes.

A: Pours a hazy orange with a solid finger of head. Great lacing, best I've seen in a wheat.

S: Smells yeasty and citrusy. This is what blue moon wants to be when it grows up.

T: Taste is just like the aroma. Crisp, with great amounts of citrus and some nice flavors from the yeast. Incredibly refreshing, just what you look for in the style.

M: Much thicker body than you'd expect. Carbonation level is relatively low, all leads to a nice smooth feel.

D: Very sessionable, could drink this all night.

Overall a great beer from a great brewery. Luckily it's available year round here in Florida!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Served in a glass, beer purchased a week or so after it came out. This is a great all-around beer. Nice citrusy taste on the front end, with good flavor on the back. A good go-to beer for people who want to have a beer but don't know what they want. Good head retention, nice color.

4.55/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a frozen pint glass and served with an orange
Deep golden hazy color with an excellent head. Nicefruit bouquet. Hits the mouth with a crisp and welcome depth. Not a light unassuming beer but more of a spicy complex flavorful beer
This has lunch written all over it.
Added the orange halfway through. Don't recommend. Dulled the flavor and lessened the impact.

ithis would be a fantastic beer if you were buying a keg for both casual and more interested beer drinkers to enjoy.

4.55/5  rDev +18.8%

2004: Just purchased my first case (this year, heh.) and the Oberon maintains its wonderful flavor profile. I wholeheartedly agree with the review written by feloniusmonk. Could I have said it better? Perhaps, but his review sums it up nicely.This stuff rocks my world.

4.55/5  rDev +18.8%

I love the cloudy golden color though some may get turned off by it. Not a whole lot of head to speak of. The aroma of fruity undertones hits me immediately. Very smooth taste that is extremely drinkable. A great summer quencher and excellent beer to introduce premium beer to friends. Most wheat beers are served with a lemon wedge, but this one doesn't need it.

4.54/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Not as much head as a lot of a head as I was expecting, but it does have a nice dark apricot color. The first aroma and flavor that you pick up is apricot. A good bit of it. That's followed by the expected wheaty and malty flavors that start to dominate towards the middle of the glass. Some citric crispness is present througout. Very little bitterness or hop characteristics are present. This is an awesome wheat beer.

4.54/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A - pours a pale orange with good head at first, that quickly disappears. Decent lacing, not much head retention.

S - orange peels, grains, wheat, bread. A light nose, but smells wonderful.

T - The most amazing blend for a wheat ale. I don't usually prefer wheat ales, but this brew is the most unique and drinkable beer I have ever had in this category. Crisp and refreshing, citrus notes, faint bitterness to close to bite just a bit for some lip smacking goodness.

O - This beer defies the odds for me. I can't place my finger on it. I don't really enjoy any other beers in this category, nor would I choose to drink any in this category. This beer needs its own genre and that would be ass kicking, highly (and dangerously) drinkable summer ale. It is the quintessential american summer ale and is an absolute must try. Note - although it goes against the grain for the beer purist, you must try it with an orange peel. This beer paves the way for the right of spring in Michigan. Amen Bells. Amen Oberon.

4.53/5  rDev +18.3%

This is the best summer beer brewed in Michigan.

The light golden oarnge color looks like a sunset over Lake Michigan.

The smell has a slight citrus undertone which matches well with a slice of orange. This is the way it is normally served in West Michigan.

The taste is sightly hoppy with a slight citrus undertone.

The beer has a nice thick feel on the palate.

There is just the right amount of flavor so that you can drink several on a summer night and not have beer overload.

A must try summer beer.

4.53/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this beer a few years ago at a cool little cafe in ohiopyle after a day of rafting and/or hiking. it hit the spot on a hot day. it is refreshing and light but with subtle hoppiness that lets you know its a bell's beer. thats all i remember about this brew but will revisit it this summer. i like pretty much all bell's beers.

Bell's Oberon Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.