Bell's Oberon Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Oberon AleBell's Oberon Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002)

1.25/5  rDev -67.2%

1.25/5  rDev -67.2%

1.5/5  rDev -60.6%

1.55/5  rDev -59.3%

Poured a dull light orange with almost a 1" head. Very minimal lacing. Smells a bit soapy, musty--I can't really detect any malt/bread/yeast or anything else for that matter.

Tastes like soap. Some faint malts struggling valiently to get to my taste buds, but they never quite make it. Mostly I feel like I took a big gulp of dirty dishwater.

I heard such great things about this beer, read so many positive reviews and was really looking forward to it. For those reasons I may try one more to be fair but this was pretty awful for me.

From notes.

1.6/5  rDev -58%

1.75/5  rDev -54.1%

1.78/5  rDev -53.3%

Poured a straw cloudy color with small head that quickly disapeared. Smell is of grainy wheat and a sweet, citrus, yeasty almost unpleasant scent. The taste is a real disappointment, it is just sweet. A sugary sweet taste with no balance whatsoever. It leaves the palate with the same sweetness. It does have nice carbonation but the sweet taste is too overpowering. I could only drink one. Give me some salty peanuts for cryin out loud. I Won't drink this one again.

1.78/5  rDev -53.3%

Extremely cloudy tangerine colored juice in color with a thin, creamy head. Doughy, lemony, citrusy nose with a light hint of orange, which may smell more like cheap tang. Raw, hearty wheat with a bit of skunk and spoiled fruits. Hoppy for an American wheat, with spicy, floral notes. Pretty full-bodied and creamy for a wheat beer. Not good, at all.

1.95/5  rDev -48.8%

Batch 10264 from the bottle Bell's Oberon, poured into a Brooklyn Tulip.

This beer is off. I'm not sure if this what it is intended to taste like, but it smells and tastes like soybean milk. It has a weird cereal, bean-y smell and taste. I could not finish it and poured it out. It didn't taste very much like wheat or citrus, but mostly like old tofu. Not good.

1.95/5  rDev -48.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

That's a yeasty bitch! Pours opaque orange, with a ton of yeast floaties(too damn many), I'd better find something to read on the pot for tomorrow morning.
Smell's,,,,neutral. Maybe some citrusy wheat?
Just not real flavorful, but there is a bit of wheatiness and a background citrus flavor. Oh, wait yeast sandwich. Virtually no aftertaste.
Mouthfeel.... well, it''s carbonated, that's gotta count for something, right?
Actually pretty drinkable, not much there, so not much there to complain about. Oooohhh... Larry Bell, you're tricky.

1.95/5  rDev -48.8%

A: Gold, extremely cloudy and full of ... stuff. The stuff seems to be suspended like dirt in a lemon jello. Actually looks kinda gross, but whatever. No head to speak of. Meh.

S: Smells sour, overbitter, too grainy. Reminds me of cheap beer. This doesn't look good so far.

T: Tastes rather awful. I think this one might have gone bad. But Bell's Brew Finder says it should be good until November, so I can't be blamed. Reminds me of the bland German beers I've tried, with extra bitterness and less sweetness. Pretty awful - was expecting a lot more. Aftertaste of dirt. Maybe I've lost all taste for wheat beer.

M: Overcarbonated, medium-light body, astringent, dry. Doesn't help the flavor.

D: I can't drink any more. I'm going to pour it out. Maybe I have a bad sample, maybe I just don't like this style, but I can't stand this one. It's not worth the pain to me.

1.98/5  rDev -48%

was hoping for "shock-top" goodness; instead i got warm beer at the bar door smell. honestly folks, who recommends this stuff? a friend mistakenly bought me this smelly offering. told me he had some ipa. sorry buddy you bought me foul-smelling brew.

cloudy pour
insulting smell
flat taste
no finish

10 bottles left from 12 pack
one broke on the street in front of his house
very ofensive aroma. sorry oberon, something is wrong.

Bell's Oberon Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.