Bell's Oberon Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Oberon AleBell's Oberon Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002

Bell's Oberon is a wheat ale fermented with Bell's signature house ale yeast, mixing a spicy hop character with mildly fruity aromas. The addition of wheat malt lends a smooth mouthfeel, making it a classic summer beer.
Ratings: 6,045 | Reviews: 1,717
3.11/5  rDev -18.4%

I bought a case of this, and I'm almost halfway in now, so I think it's high time for a review.

The pour into my Penn Weizen glass raises a very short head that's quite literally gone with the wind (I find that if I don't pour very lightly, the beer loses what little carbonation that it has, and tastes dead). The lacing is very spotty and slick. Below, the body is a bright golden yellow that lets color but not images pass through.

The nose is very light and bready, with a tiny bit of acidity and yeast. Otherwise, that's it. Really lacking here.

Taste:it's light and refreshing, with just a bit of wheat flavor and light banana undertones. It's a bit tangy at the end, and sweet.

The mouth is fairly light, with carbonation that seems only tenuously involved with the liquid. There's just enough as long you pour lightly.

If anything, buying a case of this due to its reputation will hopefully, finally teach me to not make whole case purchases without sampling first. It's not a bad beer, and it certainly is refreshing, but it leaves a lot to be desired.

3.12/5  rDev -18.1%

Enjoyed outside at Sir Benedict's Tavern last night.

A - Hazy yellowish orange color. Whitish head fades quickly to a film. Lacing is average.

S - Orangey citrus flavors, cream and a bit of earthiness.

T - A light tasting beer, bitter and sweet hops with wheat. Hoppy bitter orange finish.

M - Light to medium consistency with medium carbonation.

D - Not a bad beer but not really an excellent beer either. I find myself wanting more out of the taste of this beer, as it competes with better tasting summertime wheat beers like Sam Adams wheat.

3.12/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle, purchased in Rockford, Illinois on business.

Appearance- The yeast makes this one extremely cloudy. Almost carrot juice color. Surprisingly little head. Bright orange.

Smell- Over-ripe fruits - banana and strawberry. Vague wheat.

Taste- Bold for a wheat beer. Strong wheat flavors followed by some tangerine-like notes and a slice of banana. Sweet and juicy flavors.

Mouthfeel- Similar to both a fruit juice and a soda. Rather thick for the style.

Drinkability- An odd beer- not at all what I was expecting, but perhaps worth another try.

3.13/5  rDev -17.8%

On-tap at the Hopleaf in Chicago.

Nice looking light orange color, average head.

Big yeast and light citrus aromas, so far on target for a wheat beer.

Very creamy, little carbonation. Very light flavors in every department. Yeast and orange flavors are most noticable but not particularly strong.

Not too impressive, I was excited to try a Bell's product, but I probably should have picked something else, pretty boring.

3.13/5  rDev -17.8%

Cloudy golden hue, from the floating particulates and swirling yeast. Very light carbonation with no head retention or lacing. Has a very homebrewed aroma. Light hopping, present more through bittering than aroma. The more subtle fruit flavors of the wheat are masked by the bitterness. I would have preferred less bittering to allow the wheat/fruit flavors be more pronounced. Not really what I think of when I want a summer seasonal, but a pretty good, interesting beer nonetheless.

3.13/5  rDev -17.8%

My friend's girlfriend brought a sampler of Bell's brews down to Florida from her home in Indiana. Thanks Anna and Adam for sharing. I haven't seen Bell's in Florida.

I have to confess that I like the name for this beer. Why not name your summer ale after a Shakespeare character? Good choice. The beer doesn't quite live up to the great name, though.

Maybe it's because I'm a big fan of German wheat beers. American wheats seem bland to me. But since I just had Samuel Adams' Hefeweizen, I think Bell's Oberon Ale is just a tad too light. I would hope for a bit more substance. But this beer is still quite drinkable. It is a decent summer choice for drinking on a hot day.

3.13/5  rDev -17.8%

Transparent golden body, no head by the time I received it, nice lace however.

Aroma is sweet orange, wheat, and hints of hops.

Flavors of orange zest, lemons, floral hops, and grainy wheat. Spice profile is way too strong in my opinion, as it overshadows the citrus and wheat.

3.14/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Golden color with a finger of white head that fades within a minute.

S - Almost no aroma to speak of, unfortunately. If I really strain to pick something out, I get a generic bready wheat and floral hop aroma.

T - Mildly sweet up front with moderate hop bitterness that follows through the finish. Some spiced estery banana flavor plays around in the background.

M - Thin body with bright, tingly carbonation. Sweet, sticky finish.

3.14/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

*i did not like and would not buy*

app: looks like a fish tank, strange big bubbles and lots of floating fish food.not much head. looks like what comes out after you have a lot of vitamins.

smell: smells like a car air freshiner i use to have, of course mixed with some mellow malts.

taste: mellow smooth round easy going. lil uneasy after taste, this is a nice but odd beer. zingy hop citrus, but thick and coating wheat.. strange blend for me..

mf: way to coating and gooey.

drinkable?: not for me. to thick to odd. but i guess you could chug it??

3.15/5  rDev -17.3%

A - Pours as a very hazy straw color with a very muted head. The floating stuff is in suspended animation in the beer. It's like those lucite paperweights only more hazy and yellow

S - I know that several have gotten citrus in the nose, but all I'm getting is malty. It's not very cold, so I would imagine that if there was anything else to be sniffed, I'd get it. I don't.

T - Just like the nose. Malty. I get a little of the citrus in the taste but it's not overwhelming. A little bitter, but it's not the most demanding calling card of the taste.

M - Significant carbonation with a light yet silky mouthfeel. Not too much aftertaste.

I'm not incredibly impressed by this. Maybe an orange wedge could tune it up, but I'm not into all that.

3.15/5  rDev -17.3%

This brew is so highly acclaimed in the Midwest with a very loyal following. I have had it before and was not a huge fan. Decided today to grab another one while at the bar on an extra hot Florida summer day to see if I was missing something before.

A: Hazy golden yellow as you would expect from a wheat beer. There is a nice head upon the pour made up of millions of tiny bubbles which quickly die down.

S: There is a nice yeasty malty character to this brew. Very tiny amounts of orange and lemon can be detected.

T: Not a lot of flavor here. There is a malty flavor with a hint of orange. Nothing to write home about.

M: Light and bubbly.

D: It goes down easy.... Too bad it don't taste better.

Overall: I am the first to get on this site and sing praises when it comes to Bell's. I'm sorry to the loyal following but I just don't get this beer. There is some wheat and some orange, but nothing else. It's really pretty blah. Short of being cold on a hot day it doesn’t have a lot going for it. This is a definite deviation from Bell's other wonderful beers. If you love it hey, more of it for you. I will stick to their other tried and true gems.

3.15/5  rDev -17.3%

Poured a hazy orange-gold. Fairly thin head that falls to a thin ring. Some floaties in the glass. No evidence of carbonation in the glass, but it is there.
Somewhat light aromas. Mostly wheat with some lemon, orange, spice notes.
Wheaty flavors with orange juice, honey, and hints of lemon. Spice is very faint, almost undetectable.
Medium-light mouthfeel. The hidden carbonation come out in the mouthfeel. Gets a little watery near the back of the palate.
Farily drinkable. Decent flavors.
This would be a good lawnmower beer. Hopefully we will start getting Bell's in GA soon so I can try some other offerings.

3.15/5  rDev -17.3%

A - Slight haze on a straw yellow brew. Medium head, mild lacing.

S - A bit of cloves, wheat and a touch of grapefruit.

T - A bit of a dry hop flavor (slightly woodsy) with a bit fo grapefruit. A bitterness with a citrus and a bit of an earthy bitterness. Not great, but not too bad either,

M - A tad harsh, thin, a little refreshing.

D - Okay, not as palatable as I would have hoped. Might have again . . . if in Rome (i.e. Michigan).

3.16/5  rDev -17.1%

Got this from a bottle of this year's batch of Oberon and poured into a GI Tulip.

A - A hazy, cloudy deep orange with hints of golden and amber as well. Can see a good amount of carbonation running up through this one and also a nice haze that seems to float through the glass. Poured with a quickly dissipating one thumb head that comes to sit at about a half sitting on top.

S - Tangerine and honey seem to be the biggest hits to me. A sweet orange is what I'd call it. Also, there seems to be a hint of banana that one often finds in the Hefes.

T - Hmm can definitely taste the wheat aspect and a hint of banana and clove. That sweet orange is there but not as much as I would like it to be. Also seems to have a bit of a hop bitterness that comes out of nowhere. Hmm, on the whole, this really doesn't even compare to when I had it on tap. Its good but there is not that big orange taste. Here, I just feel so dominated by the wheat, banana, and the bitterness which seems a bit unbalanced to me.

MF - A big, almost chewy beer that sits in the mouth. Kinda heavy and has a nice bready aspect which goes well with the wheat part. Light carbonation in there despite the amount you see in the glass.

D- Overall, an okay american pale wheat ale. I don't know what it was but really was disappointed especially after having this on tap. Has a bit of a bitter taste that just seems out of place to me. I would maybe get and try this in the mini keg when it comes out but I'd much rather reach for a Gumballhead for a nice, tasty summer ale especially given the common distribution area.

3.16/5  rDev -17.1%

Served on-premise at KBC. Cloudy, good color but no real head. Lemony flaver, certainly sptrizy and refreshing. KBC's taproom, the "Eccentric Cafe," though, leaves a little to be desired. Exposed brick just makes it seem cold, not much of crowd (of course it was a football Sunday and they had no TV). Seemed to be run by artsy college students.

3.16/5  rDev -17.1%

Pours a nice hazy light gold color with frothy white head with good retention and lacing. Smell is a bit earthy, some grass that is, and bit of citrus, some malt as well. Taste is good but somewhat bland. I went to school in Kalamazoo and never understood the Oberon hype and now that I'm out, and a BA, I still dont. Some malt, some grassy hops, a kiss of citrus, but otherwise pretty bland. Mouthfeel is light and crisp which does seem about perfect. Overall not bad, just a little over-hyped IMO.

A-Pours a hazy orange with a nice 2 finger head

S-Smells of a malty lemongrass

T-A very malty beer with hints of citrus, not exactly what I would expect from a summer ale. Doesn't have quite the crisp refreshing taste you would expect from a seasonal of this type. This seems just very ordinary nothing jumps out tast wise. Mild carbonation with a thin mouthfeel nothing to great.

This isn't a bad beer just not what I would be looking for in a summer seasonal, there are better examples (Gumballhead!)

3.16/5  rDev -17.1%

Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a fluffy white head. The head dissipated quickly and leaves no real lacing.

Smell has a bit of grainy malt but otherwise nothing really going on.

Taste has a bit of sweet fruit and a bit of spice but, as with the nose, the taste is disappointingly subdued.

Mouthfeel is crisp and clean. This is drinkable but bland. I was fond of last year's batch but this year something is missing...like flavor.

HV

3.18/5  rDev -16.5%

Originally sampled on 2 October 2002. This beer pours a cloudy yellow color. The flavor has a nice bite on the palate. It very much reminds me of a white beer. I think that this is a pretty good American wheat. Not one of Bell's best, but certainly very good.

3.18/5  rDev -16.5%

Poured into a weizen glass, this beer pours a pale, slightly cloudy yellow, with a one and a half fingered head supported by some carbonation rising from the bottom. The bubbles also swirl up quite a bit upon drinking.

Smell is wheaty with hints of mild citrus...lemon and orange, but also has some sour notes up front. Not a strong smell of hops either.

Taste is pretty carbonated up front which quickly dissipates into sourness and lemon citrus. Orange is strongly present too, with some just a hint of banana undertones to the smooth wheat finish.

Mouthfeel is carbonated up front with a smooth medium bodied finish. Leaves a clean crisp feeling in the mouth.

Overall I'm a bit dissapointed with this one...I was expecting just a little bit more complexity from it. Also the small hints of sourness that it had were a pretty big turn off as well...I will say that it's a crisp refreshing beer, and is fitting as a summertime release, but all in all I probably won't go out of my way to purchase it again.

Sippin on this sizzurp with mah boi areich6

A- Pours a hazy light yellow with a whispy 1 inch white head

S- Can obviously pick up the wheat in the nose with a few hints of pale malts. Not a lot of hops but a trace I would say

T- Very light taste. Just some wheat and citrus notes that are too orangy for my liking.

M- Thicker than I would expct for a PWA

O- Not on the same level of gumball head or sumpin sumpin, not even close. Not awful though

3.18/5  rDev -16.5%

Thanks to Schmittymack for sharing this one at a recent tasting. Poured a hazy golden color with a small lingering white head. Aromas of wheat, light straw and honey. On the palate, this one was light bodied and smooth, with flavors of wheat, honey and light citrus.

3.18/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into an Ommegang glass. From notes. Reviewed 14 June 2011.

A: Some stark-white head. Cloudy yellow.

S: Very little. Sweetish. Wheat? Cloves?

T: Sweet, spicy, and light. Clove and/or cinnamon. Vaguely sharp. The aftertaste is delicate and clean. My main complaint is that the spice lends a vaguely artificial vibe to the beer.

M: Slightly above average. Again, light.

O: Maybe least favourite Bell's, though I wasn't partial to Oarsman either. I don't like the spice profile. The beer was actually pretty okay, but I wouldn't have another. Not recommended.

3.18/5  rDev -16.5%

Looks like a Belgian Wit, deep honey colored with thin white head., wnd little retention. Aroma is a bit yeasty with heavy wheat malt presence. Very crisp on the palate which reminds me of a belgian style. Flavor is mediocre. A somewhat generic bland flavor to it that reminds me of Blue Moon's white. No great flavors really jumping out at you. Finishes slightly bitter, and a little stale.

3.19/5  rDev -16.3%

Okay, this beer is exactly why I tend to be annoyed by the recent "craft" craze. Bell's has quickly become the darling of the craft movement--at least where I live--and this beer is average at best.

The head was totally absent, and the beer's color was the same as if I just pissed into a glass after some light yard work. It is watery and thin, and a sickly pale color when compared to other wheats, like Starr Hills The Love, for example. The mouthfeel was water, and similar to a Bud. Sorry, but I have drank a lot of Bud, and this has the same feel to it.

The smell was average. It just smelled like someone popped open an adjunct lager. Nothing to writng home about, and nothing to really dog the beer over.

The taste was very mediocre. It was not bad, but it also was not great. This is a huge problem to me, because this beer runs about 12 bucks a six pack, and it doesn't even compare to most local or national brands. I could almost buy twelve better beers for just a few bucks more.

This is the first beer that I had of Bell's, and it basically backs up everything that I think about people acting snobbish about craft beer; this beer is hands down the most overrated beer that I have ever consumed.

Bell's Oberon Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.