Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Bell's Oberon Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Oberon AleBell's Oberon Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002

Bell's Oberon is a wheat ale fermented with Bell's signature house ale yeast, mixing a spicy hop character with mildly fruity aromas. The addition of wheat malt lends a smooth mouthfeel, making it a classic summer beer.
Reviews: 1,670 | Hads: 6,246
3.15/5  rDev -17.8%

Poured a hazy orange-gold. Fairly thin head that falls to a thin ring. Some floaties in the glass. No evidence of carbonation in the glass, but it is there.
Somewhat light aromas. Mostly wheat with some lemon, orange, spice notes.
Wheaty flavors with orange juice, honey, and hints of lemon. Spice is very faint, almost undetectable.
Medium-light mouthfeel. The hidden carbonation come out in the mouthfeel. Gets a little watery near the back of the palate.
Farily drinkable. Decent flavors.
This would be a good lawnmower beer. Hopefully we will start getting Bell's in GA soon so I can try some other offerings.

3.15/5  rDev -17.8%

A - Slight haze on a straw yellow brew. Medium head, mild lacing.

S - A bit of cloves, wheat and a touch of grapefruit.

T - A bit of a dry hop flavor (slightly woodsy) with a bit fo grapefruit. A bitterness with a citrus and a bit of an earthy bitterness. Not great, but not too bad either,

M - A tad harsh, thin, a little refreshing.

D - Okay, not as palatable as I would have hoped. Might have again . . . if in Rome (i.e. Michigan).

3.16/5  rDev -17.5%

Got this from a bottle of this year's batch of Oberon and poured into a GI Tulip.

A - A hazy, cloudy deep orange with hints of golden and amber as well. Can see a good amount of carbonation running up through this one and also a nice haze that seems to float through the glass. Poured with a quickly dissipating one thumb head that comes to sit at about a half sitting on top.

S - Tangerine and honey seem to be the biggest hits to me. A sweet orange is what I'd call it. Also, there seems to be a hint of banana that one often finds in the Hefes.

T - Hmm can definitely taste the wheat aspect and a hint of banana and clove. That sweet orange is there but not as much as I would like it to be. Also seems to have a bit of a hop bitterness that comes out of nowhere. Hmm, on the whole, this really doesn't even compare to when I had it on tap. Its good but there is not that big orange taste. Here, I just feel so dominated by the wheat, banana, and the bitterness which seems a bit unbalanced to me.

MF - A big, almost chewy beer that sits in the mouth. Kinda heavy and has a nice bready aspect which goes well with the wheat part. Light carbonation in there despite the amount you see in the glass.

D- Overall, an okay american pale wheat ale. I don't know what it was but really was disappointed especially after having this on tap. Has a bit of a bitter taste that just seems out of place to me. I would maybe get and try this in the mini keg when it comes out but I'd much rather reach for a Gumballhead for a nice, tasty summer ale especially given the common distribution area.

3.16/5  rDev -17.5%

Served on-premise at KBC. Cloudy, good color but no real head. Lemony flaver, certainly sptrizy and refreshing. KBC's taproom, the "Eccentric Cafe," though, leaves a little to be desired. Exposed brick just makes it seem cold, not much of crowd (of course it was a football Sunday and they had no TV). Seemed to be run by artsy college students.

3.16/5  rDev -17.5%

Pours a nice hazy light gold color with frothy white head with good retention and lacing. Smell is a bit earthy, some grass that is, and bit of citrus, some malt as well. Taste is good but somewhat bland. I went to school in Kalamazoo and never understood the Oberon hype and now that I'm out, and a BA, I still dont. Some malt, some grassy hops, a kiss of citrus, but otherwise pretty bland. Mouthfeel is light and crisp which does seem about perfect. Overall not bad, just a little over-hyped IMO.

A-Pours a hazy orange with a nice 2 finger head

S-Smells of a malty lemongrass

T-A very malty beer with hints of citrus, not exactly what I would expect from a summer ale. Doesn't have quite the crisp refreshing taste you would expect from a seasonal of this type. This seems just very ordinary nothing jumps out tast wise. Mild carbonation with a thin mouthfeel nothing to great.

This isn't a bad beer just not what I would be looking for in a summer seasonal, there are better examples (Gumballhead!)

3.16/5  rDev -17.5%

Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a fluffy white head. The head dissipated quickly and leaves no real lacing.

Smell has a bit of grainy malt but otherwise nothing really going on.

Taste has a bit of sweet fruit and a bit of spice but, as with the nose, the taste is disappointingly subdued.

Mouthfeel is crisp and clean. This is drinkable but bland. I was fond of last year's batch but this year something is missing...like flavor.

3.18/5  rDev -17%

Originally sampled on 2 October 2002. This beer pours a cloudy yellow color. The flavor has a nice bite on the palate. It very much reminds me of a white beer. I think that this is a pretty good American wheat. Not one of Bell's best, but certainly very good.

3.18/5  rDev -17%

Poured into a weizen glass, this beer pours a pale, slightly cloudy yellow, with a one and a half fingered head supported by some carbonation rising from the bottom. The bubbles also swirl up quite a bit upon drinking.

Smell is wheaty with hints of mild citrus...lemon and orange, but also has some sour notes up front. Not a strong smell of hops either.

Taste is pretty carbonated up front which quickly dissipates into sourness and lemon citrus. Orange is strongly present too, with some just a hint of banana undertones to the smooth wheat finish.

Mouthfeel is carbonated up front with a smooth medium bodied finish. Leaves a clean crisp feeling in the mouth.

Overall I'm a bit dissapointed with this one...I was expecting just a little bit more complexity from it. Also the small hints of sourness that it had were a pretty big turn off as well...I will say that it's a crisp refreshing beer, and is fitting as a summertime release, but all in all I probably won't go out of my way to purchase it again.

Sippin on this sizzurp with mah boi areich6

A- Pours a hazy light yellow with a whispy 1 inch white head

S- Can obviously pick up the wheat in the nose with a few hints of pale malts. Not a lot of hops but a trace I would say

T- Very light taste. Just some wheat and citrus notes that are too orangy for my liking.

M- Thicker than I would expct for a PWA

O- Not on the same level of gumball head or sumpin sumpin, not even close. Not awful though

3.18/5  rDev -17%

Thanks to Schmittymack for sharing this one at a recent tasting. Poured a hazy golden color with a small lingering white head. Aromas of wheat, light straw and honey. On the palate, this one was light bodied and smooth, with flavors of wheat, honey and light citrus.

3.18/5  rDev -17%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into an Ommegang glass. From notes. Reviewed 14 June 2011.

A: Some stark-white head. Cloudy yellow.

S: Very little. Sweetish. Wheat? Cloves?

T: Sweet, spicy, and light. Clove and/or cinnamon. Vaguely sharp. The aftertaste is delicate and clean. My main complaint is that the spice lends a vaguely artificial vibe to the beer.

M: Slightly above average. Again, light.

O: Maybe least favourite Bell's, though I wasn't partial to Oarsman either. I don't like the spice profile. The beer was actually pretty okay, but I wouldn't have another. Not recommended.

3.18/5  rDev -17%

Looks like a Belgian Wit, deep honey colored with thin white head., wnd little retention. Aroma is a bit yeasty with heavy wheat malt presence. Very crisp on the palate which reminds me of a belgian style. Flavor is mediocre. A somewhat generic bland flavor to it that reminds me of Blue Moon's white. No great flavors really jumping out at you. Finishes slightly bitter, and a little stale.

3.19/5  rDev -16.7%

Okay, this beer is exactly why I tend to be annoyed by the recent "craft" craze. Bell's has quickly become the darling of the craft movement--at least where I live--and this beer is average at best.

The head was totally absent, and the beer's color was the same as if I just pissed into a glass after some light yard work. It is watery and thin, and a sickly pale color when compared to other wheats, like Starr Hills The Love, for example. The mouthfeel was water, and similar to a Bud. Sorry, but I have drank a lot of Bud, and this has the same feel to it.

The smell was average. It just smelled like someone popped open an adjunct lager. Nothing to writng home about, and nothing to really dog the beer over.

The taste was very mediocre. It was not bad, but it also was not great. This is a huge problem to me, because this beer runs about 12 bucks a six pack, and it doesn't even compare to most local or national brands. I could almost buy twelve better beers for just a few bucks more.

This is the first beer that I had of Bell's, and it basically backs up everything that I think about people acting snobbish about craft beer; this beer is hands down the most overrated beer that I have ever consumed.

3.2/5  rDev -16.4%

Pours a cloudy pale yellow, with a big white head. Aromas of corriander and spice, and wheaty notes. In the taste, mellow yet spicy and a small presenceof a grapefruity hop end. It has sweet texture and a dry aftertaste. Refreshing and a nice light flavor. A good beer for summer.

3.2/5  rDev -16.4%

Pours a hazy yellow color,has a nice head that does lace and lingers,I think this beer is a tad thin some wheat and malt and hop balance a hint of lemon zest but I was not impressed,I could drink this beer all day then never miss it again,its by no means bad but just unimpressive and a tad overpriced,I guess ya call this a gateway beer I suppose its a heavy hitter in the summer months

12 oz.

Pours a clear wheat gold with a minimal white head.

The smell is wheat malts and a bit of floral hoppiness.

Tastes like wheat malts with a bit of tartness almost like a white wine.

Mouthfeel is average, moderate carbonation presence.

Pretty decent, an easy beer to drink a few of. Worth trying.

3.2/5  rDev -16.4%

Poured a pale golden yellow color with light carbonation and minimum haze.
Smells heavily of spices, citrus and malt.

Taste is medium bodied, malty, and bursting with citrus hop goodness.
Lemon flavors and malty finish make it a very refreshing and definitely a summer beer.

It seems many are champions of this beer; myself, I couldn't get past some of the sweeter flavors. I was surprised because I typically like wheat beers, so I won't rule out revisiting this one.

3.2/5  rDev -16.4%

Thanks to my brother for bringing me this one.

Pale yellow but not BMC pale. Weak head, surprisingly. No sediment and not hazy. Mild floral hop aroma. On the tongue this beer is a bit flat; tries to show some wheatiness. Minimal hop bitterness. Not sure if this brew has any life. Quite bland. Maybe an odd estery note towards the end. Not very crisp. So very thin.

Cool label, boring beer.

3.21/5  rDev -16.2%

Had this on tap at my local watering hole, The Village Inn, on my last visit.

Appearance- Comes off of the tap a hazy amber-orange with a thin sheet of white head sitting across the top. Dies back to nothing in short order. No real lacing or active beading.

Smell- I don't find a whole lot interesting to be going on here. Smells mildly of wheat, with a cereal graininess as well. Can't say I really pick up on much else. Doesn't smell bad but doesn't really capture my attention.

Taste- Wheat and cereal up front, not a whole lot else. Flavors are mild and not particularly strong, decent but unimpressive. Finishes fairly watery.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouthfeel is alright apart from the finish as mentioned in the flavor profile, which comes across to me as fairly water. In terms of drinkability, it wouldn't be too hard to put back a couple of these, but I find the flavor profile to not be terribly impressive, especially for Bell's. I would reach for most of their other standard offerings to session before Oberon.

Overall, I'm not terribly impressed with Oberon. I've had it a number of times and can't say it has ever really stuck with me. There are many other examples in this and other similar style categories that I'd choose first.

3.21/5  rDev -16.2%

12 bottle poured into a Weihenstephan glass at fridge temp.

A. Cloudy golden body with a 2 finger fluffy white head.Lacing stuck all over the glass.

S. Smells of lemon and wheat with a bit of pine.A touch of clove.

T. Taste is of lemon hopbite and a smooth earthy finish.

M. Very smooth and creamy mouthfeel with a good bit of carbonation.

Overall not a bad brew don't know if I would seek this out again but I wouldnt turn it away either.

3.21/5  rDev -16.2%

given to us by a neighbor from michigan (thank Lori and Mike)... they suggested drinking with an orange... though in some bars it's a lemon... tried orange... i can see it's good for summer, but no for me.

smells tangy, citrusy - 3

appearance - dark orange, hazy, nice thick head for a wheat... - 4

good mouthfeel - hard to distinguish the nuances of taste

bubbly and refreshing...

overall 3.5

3.21/5  rDev -16.2%

Poured a slightly cloudy straw color with a thin head that disappeared rather quickly. Decent lace, but not great. Smell was yeastywith slight hops and even less malt. Some lemon hints noted as well. Taste is a bit too bitter, that is to say too much I think for a wheat ale. Its over bitterness takes away from its drinkability on a hot smmers day. It is still a very good brew, but not a great one like Bell's is capable of. I do have to add that the six pack I purchased from my local beer store had their entire supply of this at room temp and the package very clearly indicates to "KEEP REFRIGERATED". This may have altered its taste. I guess I will just have to visit the brewery since my parents noe live about 10 miles from there.

3.22/5  rDev -15.9%

A - Golden body with bright white head. The head isn't that thick and doesn't last that long but the body color and head color is fantastic.

S - Not much here. Pretty faint malt smell.

T - Nice light wheat and fruit tastes. Slightly orange tasting, but again kind of light and not that pronounced.

M - Medium-light body with a nice carbonation level. No alcohol burn.

O - Good session beer, very drinkable, unfortunately just lacking in intensity.

3.22/5  rDev -15.9%

This brew poured a very large invigorated head of finely sized white bubbles and a cloudy orange unfiltered yeasty body. It had a decent hop aroma and was slightly fizzy in its initial mouthfeel while coming to a smooth finish with its mild hop flavor.

Bell's Oberon Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.