1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bell's Oberon Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Oberon AleBell's Oberon Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 4,139 | Reviews: 1,513 | Show All Ratings:
righthereisay

4.6/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

What a great seasonal beer. When I say seasonal, I mean late spring and summer.

The best of the summer beers. I am a stout / dark beer enthusiast, but during the summer, this is as good as it gets. I love the flavor, not light, not too much citrus, it is great for a really hot summer day.

05-23-2009 19:27:14 | More by righthereisay
sharlie

4.64/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I love this beer for the summertime. It has a bright dark golden hue along with a lively mouthfeel. It is great for the summertime because it has a very crisp and citrusy flavor. It has a slight finish of yeast and hops. I think that a Oberon is similar to my favorite beer, Blue Moon. Finish the beer off with a slice of orange makes it a perfect beer for a summer day.

04-29-2013 11:45:02 | More by sharlie
downeyj4

4.64/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

There's a reason why this is the leader of Bell's Brewery. It's a great beer. It's great to drink on a warm day. Your friends drink it too. It's on tap just about everywhere (In Michigan at least...). It comes with an orange, sometimes. There is a great amount of citrus and the Saaz hops really bring it all together. Overall, one of my favorites.

04-30-2013 03:52:53 | More by downeyj4
feloniousmonk

4.65/5  rDev +22%

Brewed and kegged one week ago (3-25). keg tapped 5 minutes ago.
It's a hotly anticipated sign of spring in the Midwest, the arrival of the Bell's Oberon, and I'm ready for my first, fresh sip of the season.
Color: a thick, opaque yellow/orange body. Tap Oberon is thick and cloudy at the top and the bottom of the keg, but it pours clear after a few a few pints are pulled. Head is nice and white, thick and lasting.
Aroma is delicate, but brimming with zesty citrusy notes, spices, sea-foam. In a nutshell, the tingly orange flavor dominates Oberon's taste profile. Carbonation is low, yeasty component of this unfiltered brew is tasty, tasty, tasty and adds significantly to the supremely delicious and downable mouthfeel.
As with many other Bell's products, the style is not presented clearly in the name or on the label. This used to be called Solsun, until a Mexican Brewery took umbrage. I believe they steal the name from Shakespeare's Fairy King in "A Midsummer Night's Dream." It is described as "an American wheat ale with European ingedients", which still doesn't answer all the questions. Czech saaz hops are used, and imported (from where?)wheat malt, but no curacao zest or coriander are mentioned. That aside, it tastes more like a Belgian witbier than anything else, but, like many Kalamazoo offerings, it belongs in a class by itself.
This beer plays very lightly on the palate, delivering zingy, spicy, and very fruity hops, with an utterly delicate, and thirst-quenching texture. Wheat isn't tasted as strongly as in other wheat beers, goes down very smooth, but still adds considerably to the texture. This is a beer that makes itself at home in the mouth, and makes one quite comfortable during it's stay. Long, delicious finish. Light body. So easy to drink! Everlasting finish!
There are many tasty, thirst-quenching wheats out there, but only one Oberon. The fruitiness really pushes it forward! Supreme acheivement, and a beer I'll be enjoying all summer long!

04-01-2003 17:22:58 | More by feloniousmonk
Loki

4.65/5  rDev +22%

Sampled in a 12 oz bottle.

Poured a cloudy honey color witha a faint head that remained throughout and provided good lacing.

The aromas from Oberon where honey, orange peel, banana bread, cinamon, wheat, and floral hints.

Tastes of honey, citrus, butterscotch, and orange cream. Medium body, smooth, with a faint bitter finishes that goes down very smoothly.

A slightly unique wheat beer, but fantastic and one of my new overall favorite beers.

05-23-2003 20:57:47 | More by Loki
ManekiNeko

4.65/5  rDev +22%

2003 version served chilled in a pint glass.

Appearance: Cloudy, golden yellow with a modest white head. Only retains a small ring of bubbles after a minute or so. No lacing to speak of.

Smell: Buttery, yeasty, and vanilla aromas, with faint orange and honeysuckle if you look for it. Wow!

Taste: A yeasty, bready taste with lemon and orange flavors in the background. Nummy.

Mouthfeel: Slightly buttery mouthfeel, but very light on body.

Drinkability: Oh great beergods, why doth thou taunt me so? Such heavenly ambrosia is only available to me via the kindness of other BA's. There's a certain Joni Mitchell song from the Blue album that pretty much says how much of this stuff I'd love to have.

Again, a hearty thanks to feloniousmonk for opportunity to try this.

09-30-2003 06:02:56 | More by ManekiNeko
becktone

4.65/5  rDev +22%

For starters this beer has a great head, fairly good lacing and somewhat notable head retention. I was expecting more in the way of "the head" with this beer, however it could be my glass. The color of this beer is lemon yellow. It reminds me of the lemon squares that my grandmother used to always make. What really surprises me about this beer's appearance is the clarity of it. I was expecting something much cloudier due to the high wheat content and bottle conditioning of this beer. I was expecting something cloudy, and more opaque, this beer is better described as hazy.

edit: now that the entire bottle is in my glass the appearance is much more appropriate for a wheat beer. Cloudy and Opaque.

Wheat malt is apparant in the nose of this beer. Floral and citrus tones are also apparent in the aroma of this beer. Smells much like one would expect from an American Pale Ale, with the exception of the wheat influence. Hops could be a bit more pronounced in my opinion.

This is a great brew. The distict wheat character is the first and foremost flavor tasted on the palate. After that a floral/citrus hop influence is easily recognized. This beer really hits the spot on a hot summer day. (Kinda going off memmory here, I'm sitting drinking on right now, but I think my tongue got burnt the other day. I remember the taste being very reminiscent of an APA, that was a few days ago when I cracked my first bottle open.)

Medium bodied on the palate, medium carbonation. What else can I say, I don't think that there is anything that could be possibly better on a hot summer day, too bad today isn't a scorcher. This beer is easy to drink, one that I will definitely get more of. Said it enough already, but I can't help but stress how good this beer is on a hot day.

06-07-2006 20:02:31 | More by becktone
DarbyOGill

Wisconsin

4.65/5  rDev +22%

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A: Pours a pale gold color with about a finger of white creamy head and it is very cloudy. (Note: I pour the floaties in so this is part of the cloudiness. Another Note: I am not downgrading the score due to cloudiness/floaties because it does tell you to decant, but I like them!)

S: Smells very fruity and bready, not much else to say, has a good nose to it.

T: Strong flavors of wheat hit the palette. Following this is a nice perfectly crisp citrus hops to balance the flavor. I also get a nice yeasty taste from the floaties.

Overall: This is one of my favorite beers. It is immediately replaced whenever I run out. I love the balance and flavors in this beer on a summer day. I squealed in enjoyment when I saw the sticker at the liquor store saying it was back, and I don't squeal often. Perfect outdoor beer (which is why I almost always pick up a pitcher when at the UW Terrace). If you haven't had this beer yet, GET IT!

06-15-2009 06:37:14 | More by DarbyOGill
GossageBrewery

Missouri

4.65/5  rDev +22%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. This American Pale Wheat Ale poured a hazy lemon color and it produced a very nice white head that has great retention. The lace is average. The aroma is full of soft wheat and pear. The taste of this wheat ale is very nice. It is very drinkable, and it is light in body. The flavor consists of wheat, green apple and pears. There is also a nice hint of floral hops thrown in. Overall it is nice and sweet at the start and finishes crisp and somewhat sour on the backend. This is an awesome summer beer. This might be one of my favorite wheat beers that I have ever tried. I will be stocking up the fridge with this summer treat!

06-21-2011 23:26:06 | More by GossageBrewery
noahallington

4.65/5  rDev +22%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

One of my favorite beers! A scent of oranges greets you as you pour it out of the bottle. It is a brilliantly clear deep golden color. It has a distinctively wheaty, yeasty flavor, with a bit of hop on the end, rounded with a citrus flavor. The tartness of the citrus notes make it a crisp, refreshing beer, perfect for a summer day.

04-25-2013 22:57:23 | More by noahallington
BarrelBrother

4.68/5  rDev +22.8%

Oberon Ale is my favorite summer brew plain & simple. I love weiss type beers in the summer because they are so refreshing. Oberon is unusual and simply damn tasty with a slice of lemon. The appearance is the usual cloudy weiss look but a bit more golden. The aroma is unique with citrus notes and nutty overtones. The taste is solid with a drinkability to last all summer long!! Sit on your deck and sip an Oberon as the sun sets on a weekend evening; almost heaven (IMHO). If you like summer weiss brews, this one will become one of your favorites quickly.

09-11-2004 04:26:27 | More by BarrelBrother
benmiliron

4.68/5  rDev +22.8%

Paid $1.29 for a 12 oz. bottle. Looks like a wheat beer in the glass. Smells of sweet oranges, blossomy, light fresh malts, very fragrant and quite exceptional. taste is just like it smells with a touch of honey but just barely. Plays around on the tongue a bit with lots of subtle and faint flavors.

One of the most drinkable beers I've ever tasted. This is my favorite beer from Bell's next to their Expedition Stout.

08-13-2005 00:00:04 | More by benmiliron
hosehead83

4.68/5  rDev +22.8%

Poured into a standard pint glass
Deep, tawny, orange/gold with big, fluffy head.
Aroma-Fresh wheat, mown grass,and orange zest
Taste-Clean wheat, orange citrus with a bit of orange-rind bitterness in the finish. Very refreshing and drinkable. Sessionable and "pitcher-worthy'.
Oberon has a bit of a cult following in this part of the country, (mainly Michigan and Northwest Ohio). The release of Oberon in early Spring means that Summer is just around the corner. The last few years it's release has also coincided with the Detroit Tigers opening day, which is considered to be a holiday in these parts. Oberon is also special to me because it is the first craft beer that I ever tried, and opened my eyes (and taste buds) to the great new world of great tasting crafted beer.
My mouth is watering. Get Some!!!

09-14-2009 12:15:51 | More by hosehead83
dhartogs

4.68/5  rDev +22.8%

A: Nice cloudy golden beer, I love the cloudy stuff.
S: Not a whole lot to me on the nose, but smells a little yeasty with some malts.
T: For a wheat beer it has a little maltiness to it, none of the off putting overly wheat, yeast in a lot of summer wheat beers.

This has become my go to summer beer and I can drink it almost any time. With a meal, slowly or drink one fast after some excercise. I always have a 6 pack on hand.

05-12-2011 22:16:15 | More by dhartogs
BierStein711

Bottle poured into weizen

Three and a half finger head

Burnt orange and yeast turbid

T: Citrus, orange, apricots: from the whole cone hops
Refreshingly bitter finish!

S: Oranges, yeast, and booze

M: perfectly balanced

Overall, have this beer!!! Buy it and try it on draught as well!!

04-26-2012 00:51:10 | More by BierStein711
HellsBELLS24

4.7/5  rDev +23.4%

Nice citrusy wheat for the summer. Tastes very smooth and has nice undertoes of citrus and floral. Had in bottles as well as on tap. The tap is much better than the bottle. I would still buy this ale for those long summer boat trips.

The mini-keg can (5l) size is also as good as the tap. I recommend no garnishes with orange or lime because I feel that the acidity of the fruits change the flavor some.

06-01-2006 02:18:08 | More by HellsBELLS24
mirish72

4.7/5  rDev +23.4%

Lucky enough to have a friend who makes mid west beer runs and to able to sample this. Pours an orange amber with lots of good stuff floating around. There is an overpowering orange aroma going on from start to finish, really amazing stuff, I can only imagine what it tastes like fresh. This is a perfect summer beer, it is incredibly refreshing and worth tracking down if possible.

10-11-2010 23:28:33 | More by mirish72
TastyTaste

4.72/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Much better (and I assume fresher) than last time I had this beer. There was a big malty presence that was clearly the basis for the classic wheat beer flavors, Which were delicious anyways. I could taste a little alcohol, which was definitely an attribute of this beer. Excellent wheat beer, served at my request without citrus garnish. This is a good beer for any summer wheat occasion.

06-06-2005 04:48:40 | More by TastyTaste
geexploitation

Indiana

4.72/5  rDev +23.9%

This American wheat beer pours a bright yellow amber with a creamy white head that sticks around throughout. The nose is quite light, with wheat, clove and a touch of coriander -- in some ways, this smells more like a Belgian witbier than a German-style wheat beer. Maybe the only thing missing is orange peel? The taste is quite pleasing, with plenty of citrus notes up front, followed by some doughy yeast, nice acidity, and a hop-based tingle at the end. Very well balanced. Perfect body, nicely acidic, flavorful. This one's a winner, and it gets bonus points for being a wheat beer from America and not sucking.

05-08-2006 23:24:41 | More by geexploitation
Aaron58

4.72/5  rDev +23.9%

First Oberon ever for me. Bought at Friar Tucks in Crestwood, MO. 7.99/6pk!

Poured into a pint glass.

A-Beautiful light orange. Truly looks like summer in a glass as they describe it.

S- Actually oddly sweet on the nose. Some orange, maybe some kind of spice.

T-Really pleasing. The spice is there, great backbone of malt and sweetness. Just kills any wheat beers I have had.

D-Fantastic. I cant wait until the weather heats up a bit so I can cool down with this. I feel like I could drink this from the bottle too and still enjoy it if I am at a park or something. Lived up to the hype for me.

04-05-2009 20:18:22 | More by Aaron58
Beerking721

4.75/5  rDev +24.7%

As stated on the label... the color and scent of a summer afternoon. This beer is a great warm weather companion that will not only "quench" a thirst but also leave the imbiber wanting more!

A= A rich amber color with requisite cloudiness. Upon glass entry, a reasonable head and resulting lace as consumption ensued.

S= Definate light fruit with a hint of sweet wheat.

T= Smooth and quenching with an off-dry finish.

M= 30% weight to viscosity ratio. Chewy.

D= "Session" ready .

Pairing suggestion: Puffed rice encrusted talapia with mango chutney.

07-08-2008 21:12:42 | More by Beerking721
jjanega08

4.75/5  rDev +24.7%

A= Pours a bright cheerful yellow color that's hazy and a small head rises from it leaving just a soapy ring around the glass.
S= Great wheat and orange smell. Maybe some lemon in there as well. Summer in a bottle?
T= Very flavorful. Smooth wheat taste and of course some orange flavor finishing with a little lemon. I really enjoy this taste
M= Light and smooth beyond belief
D= Amazing! I'll be drinking a lot of these this summer.

04-02-2009 23:44:41 | More by jjanega08
TurboChief

4.76/5  rDev +24.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Great beer, not as strong as I remember but I still enjoy it. It came out on march 23 and I just bought it for the first and definitely not the the last time of the season. I believe this is the best beer Bell's makes. In my opinion the mini keg does taste a little better than the bottle.

04-02-2014 20:53:36 | More by TurboChief
neotempest

4.78/5  rDev +25.5%

Oberon signifies the start of summer. Serve with a orange, and allow a bit of foam to form to induce the C02 and release the great flavor. I enjoy this beer as it is in the middle of my hops tolerance range with Bells two hearted ale being too strong for me, I opt for this beer for all the summer season. I think of it as a bit like blue moon but with much better hops flavoring.

06-29-2010 02:54:07 | More by neotempest
yuenglingfan101

Indiana

4.78/5  rDev +25.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A great beer for summer. However this beer isnt a beer a beer that can be drank all year round but on a nice hot summer day it is perfect. The taste kinda gets old after 4 beers so i limit myself to a six pack. overall a good beer and i look forward every baseball season to drinking some of this beer

11-11-2013 16:12:09 | More by yuenglingfan101
Bell's Oberon Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.