Bell's Oberon Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Oberon AleBell's Oberon Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002)
2.25/5  rDev -40.9%

2.3/5  rDev -39.6%

A - This is a tasty looking summer beer. Hazy light orange with a nice one finger head that sticks around for a while. No lacing, but that is expected of a light summer brew.

S - Smell is what you would expect for a wheat beer. Cloves, light sugar, orange, tangerine. Very little hop profile.

T - So this is pretty much where things fall apart. Cloves. And some bananas. And that's it. No citrus hops, no malt backbone. Cloves and bananas. And more cloves.

M - Thin and bubbly. The carbonation was so strong that the overpowering taste hits the roof of your mouth in a not so pleasant way.

D - This is just about as drinkable as your typical Miller Lite or High Life. Now don't get me wrong, when I'm unwinding with my buddies and looking for a night out, nothing beats 8 or 9 Miller Lites or High Lifes - but, that is certainly not what I'm looking for in a craft beer.

2.38/5  rDev -37.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A- cloudy off yellow colored body, small fingernail head that reduces to a thin discontinuous layer

N - something about this that turns me away.. I can pick up citrus but there's something else on the forefront that I can't quite put my finger on

M - light and noticeable carbonation feel

T - eh.. Same as the nose. I can pick up citrus flavor which is great but there's something that turns me off

O - this bottle was 2 months old but that's not bad.. I don't know but I wasn't a fan of this. I wouldn't cringe if offered one but I would ask what else was is available..

2.42/5  rDev -36.5%

Poured into a Naragansett pint glass. (Hey neighbor, have a Gansett!)

a - visibly effervescent, 2 inches of sticky white head that collapses very slowly leaving light lacing, orangey gold color, very hazy but still slightly translucent

s - subtle notes of orange and wheat, but not much aroma overall

T - some wheat cracker flavors to start, slightly sweet in the middle, with mild bitterness finishing out that lingers

M - bubbly and light, somewhat cleansing, but dissipating almost immediately

D - I found this a forgettable example of a summer wheat. Not quite refreshingly clean enough to be a lawnmower beer, but also without the depth of flavor and complexity that makes great wheat beers. First thing I haven't liked from Bells.

2.48/5  rDev -34.9%

2.5/5  rDev -34.4%

Served on tap at Buffalo Wild Wings in Brownsburg, IN (advertised as a Summer seasonal), in a flavor-concealing frosted glass. Not my favorite serving style, so I let it sit for about 10 to get a feel for the beer itself, not just the temp.

A: It's an orange-golden mixture, thicker than a PA, but nowhere near a bock. There's just a little bit of head, but what's there stays for the duration.

S: Nothing strong. Sweet teases in the form of berry and some subtle leafiness. Really though, it's quite weak. I walked over to the jukebox at one point, and my main whiffs still comprised mostly of fried chicken from the kitchen (even with my nose in the glass). Oh well; some of the best beers I've had lacked prominence in the nose. If God wanted us to just smell beer, he wouldn't have given us taste buds. Not a deal-breaker for me, personally.

T: Uh-oh...turns out the weak nose was a warning for the taste that followed. Cheap, cheap, cheap! Some pronounced grainy qualities, but other than that, it's a weak BMC. Hops are just an afterthought once you get past the disappointing skunkiness.

M: Super carbonated, even for a draft. I can only imagine it's to distract from the taste...

O: No thank you. It's strange, because I've heard such good things about this brewer (usually with an honorable mention of their Two-Hearted Ale). What are you doing, Bell's? Just because it's summer doesn't mean you can sell cheap, cold beer with less flavor for the same price.

2.5/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a pint glass and had to double check to make sure I wasn't pouring a bmc... color is very light yellow with no head at all to speak of even with a vigorous pour. Minimal bubbling in the body. Smells like the back alley of a college bar, just generic malt and stale hops. Mouthfeel is on the verge of being flat. Overall a disappointing brew.

2.5/5  rDev -34.4%

Bell's Oberon Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.