Bell's Oberon Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Oberon AleBell's Oberon Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002

Bell's Oberon is a wheat ale fermented with Bell's signature house ale yeast, mixing a spicy hop character with mildly fruity aromas. The addition of wheat malt lends a smooth mouthfeel, making it a classic summer beer.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 5,708 | Reviews: 1,619
2.26/5  rDev -40.7%

Oberon is now huge and is Bell's top selling beer, with annual release parties at local taverns and beer stores each spring. You know a beer is ubiquitous when I can purchase a six pack at Walmart, accompanied by the stupid smiley face logo promoting a price drop to $7.54 per six pack (don't ask me why I was at a Walmart, but it wasn't intentional).

Having long consumed it, I was obviously familiar with the beer. I never drink it with friggin' fruit, but that's just me. Oberon pours pale orange or dark straw in color and the head dissipates quickly. The body is thin and there is a soft citrus aroma on the nose. The first sip strikes the upper palate with a shock of bitterness and the taste rolls back on the tongue with all the grace of a used gym sock. It lingers on with a mix of bitterness, acidity and dirty laundry. While much of the distastefulness can be covered up or balanced with the slice of orange, the same can also be said of a Corona or Sol with a lime. This really isn't an honestly pleasant quaff.

While I don't mean to be overly harsh, because the beer is palatable, it's certainly not even close to being worth all the fuss it generates. In fact, it's below average, particularly for what is supposed to be a "refreshing" summer wheat beer ... instead, it's stringent and way too bitter. There are many, many better tasting and more consistent choices out there, in my opinion.

While I love Bell's Brewery and the vast majority of their offerings--and I adore wheat beers--this just simply isn't one of them. Even though I'm obviously in the minority in that opinion judging by Oberon's sales.

2.34/5  rDev -38.6%

A - This is a tasty looking summer beer. Hazy light orange with a nice one finger head that sticks around for a while. No lacing, but that is expected of a light summer brew.

S - Smell is what you would expect for a wheat beer. Cloves, light sugar, orange, tangerine. Very little hop profile.

T - So this is pretty much where things fall apart. Cloves. And some bananas. And that's it. No citrus hops, no malt backbone. Cloves and bananas. And more cloves.

M - Thin and bubbly. The carbonation was so strong that the overpowering taste hits the roof of your mouth in a not so pleasant way.

D - This is just about as drinkable as your typical Miller Lite or High Life. Now don't get me wrong, when I'm unwinding with my buddies and looking for a night out, nothing beats 8 or 9 Miller Lites or High Lifes - but, that is certainly not what I'm looking for in a craft beer.

2.37/5  rDev -37.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A- cloudy off yellow colored body, small fingernail head that reduces to a thin discontinuous layer

N - something about this that turns me away.. I can pick up citrus but there's something else on the forefront that I can't quite put my finger on

M - light and noticeable carbonation feel

T - eh.. Same as the nose. I can pick up citrus flavor which is great but there's something that turns me off

O - this bottle was 2 months old but that's not bad.. I don't know but I wasn't a fan of this. I wouldn't cringe if offered one but I would ask what else was is available..

2.41/5  rDev -36.7%

Poured into a Naragansett pint glass. (Hey neighbor, have a Gansett!)

a - visibly effervescent, 2 inches of sticky white head that collapses very slowly leaving light lacing, orangey gold color, very hazy but still slightly translucent

s - subtle notes of orange and wheat, but not much aroma overall

T - some wheat cracker flavors to start, slightly sweet in the middle, with mild bitterness finishing out that lingers

M - bubbly and light, somewhat cleansing, but dissipating almost immediately

D - I found this a forgettable example of a summer wheat. Not quite refreshingly clean enough to be a lawnmower beer, but also without the depth of flavor and complexity that makes great wheat beers. First thing I haven't liked from Bells.

2.48/5  rDev -34.9%

2.5/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a pint glass and had to double check to make sure I wasn't pouring a bmc... color is very light yellow with no head at all to speak of even with a vigorous pour. Minimal bubbling in the body. Smells like the back alley of a college bar, just generic malt and stale hops. Mouthfeel is on the verge of being flat. Overall a disappointing brew.

2.5/5  rDev -34.4%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Bell's Oberon Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.