Bell's Oberon Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Oberon AleBell's Oberon Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002

Bell's Oberon is a wheat ale fermented with Bell's signature house ale yeast, mixing a spicy hop character with mildly fruity aromas. The addition of wheat malt lends a smooth mouthfeel, making it a classic summer beer.
Reviews: 1,665 | Hads: 6,207
3.07/5  rDev -20.3%

Pours a golden yellow with a small, wispy head.

Hard to ascertain a smell. Doesn't smell bad but the minimal smell of honey and clover is hard to get but pleasant.

Taste is of a light honey wheat-beer but nothing outlandish going on. I was expecting something more complex than this.

Overall not a summer beer I'll try again though I wouldn't say it's below average either. (376 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -20%

Looks like a Belgian Wit, deep honey colored with thin white head., wnd little retention. Aroma is a bit yeasty with heavy wheat malt presence. Very crisp on the palate which reminds me of a belgian style. Flavor is mediocre. A somewhat generic bland flavor to it that reminds me of Blue Moon's white. No great flavors really jumping out at you. Finishes slightly bitter, and a little stale. (391 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -20%

I've been wanting to try this beer for a while now. Figured I pick one up before the end of summer. Got a mixed 6 pack from the local store.

Served from the bottle in a snifter glass. About a 1 inch head the quickly dissipates. Little lacing around the glass as it goes down.

Smell is somewhat pale fruit as well as the taste. I smell a bit of orange peel. The after taste is pretty good. Also a yeasty taste, as this beer is unfiltered. Did the light test and can see all those yeasties floating around. I don't mind!

This is a very drinkable beer. I will definitely pick this up again (591 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -20%

Pours a sunshine gold with two fingers of fluffy head in my duvel tulip. Aromas of wheaty bread, carrot??, slight hints of citrus and yeast. Very light and refreshing if not a bit watered down. Taste brings some light bread, a slight citrus and yeast funk finishing with a nice touch of acidity and carbonation. (311 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -20%

A: Cloudy golden straw yellow. Respectable lacing throughout the session.
S: Typical wheat beer, I'm not finding the words to describe it. Nothing spectacular
T: Citrusy and slightly hoppy. I can definitely taste the wheat aspect, as well as the pale aspect.
M: fine carbonation, very refreshing.
D: Quite drinkable, although not much in the flavor department. Admittedly I'm not a wheat guy, but for what this beer is, it's enjoyable. After I finish this 6-pack, I probably won't purchase another. (503 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -20%

Poured on tap into a pint glass.

A- Frothy two finger white head, very clear yellow straw color, nice carbonation
S- Very plain aroma, wheat and bready/malt is present, slight citrus and lime aromas, nothing special.
T- The taste is exactly the same as the aroma, slight citrus and lemon taste but nothing really stands out, some malt and breadiness is present but nothing else, very bland.
M- Light/medium mouth feel, nice carbonation, slight bitter aftertaste.
O- I was a little let down after drinking this beer, noting special stands out, the only big positive note for me would be that its refreshing on a hot summer day, would not pay to drink again (656 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -20%

A - Nice 2 finger head. Quite cloudy, rich honey color.

S - Wheat & citrus with slight yeast

T - Cool, with slight wheat and tiny citrus. Clove and apple notes. Light and well balanced. Slightly bitter at the end.

M - Not too thick, slight carbonation. Tingles at the end.

D - Refreshing & nice. Nothing overwhelming, good summer drinking beer. Very nice. (359 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -19.7%

A - Pours a hazy golden color with a decent white head that dissipates rather quickly. Lacing is ok.

S - Smells clean and bright. A hint of lemon and wildflower is present. Fresh cut wheat is able to be picked up as well.

T - Tastes slightly citrusy with a subtle lemon-like sourness. A little orange maybe? Backbone is wheat flavor and an even malt profile which is somewhat biscuity. Maltiness is present but flavor is subdued to a faint afterthought.

M - Feels almost moderate in body. Not as light as I like my APWA's. Carbonation is a little less than desirable for my liking, but acceptable.

O - This beer is interesting. It's got some extra flavor than most APWA's, but at the cost of higher ABV and a more moderate mouthfeel. I'd surely drink it again, but as it removes itself from my regular APWA summer rotation due to the higher ABV and increased mouthfeel. Sorry Bells, love ya, but others have got you beat in my book. (936 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -19.7%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a hazy golden color. The head is around two fingers high, and is a smidge off-white in its shade. Its texture is extremely frothy, as expected, with good retention too. Some lacing is left on the glass.

S: Lots of bready wheat on the nose. Not particularly estery; then again, it's not a hefeweizen. The mild hop character helps compensate with subtle pine and citrus. It's simplistic, but it's not trying to be anything more than a gently-hopped wheat beer.

T: The opening character is surprisingly heavy in peaches and apricots. Afterwards, wheat notes take over, and creates a slightly intrusive finish combined with subtle hopping. It becomes slightly more enjoyable when some of the hops come out and conceal the wheat flavor slightly.

M: Dry yet refreshing, it goes down easily without parching the palate. There is some residual sugar around to beef up the body and balance some of the more bitter characteristics. Powerful carbonation, as expected.

O: Barring a couple offerings, a lot of this brewery's offerings are pretty average - this included. I guess I'm just not a huge fan of standard (non-hefeweizen, non-hoppy) wheat beers. On the other hand, I understand why this is popular - it's easy going and very drinkable. I'd never refuse one, but I wouldn't seek it out. (1,329 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -19.7%

Pours a foggy darker yellow color with a medium white head. Aroma of yeast and light hops. Light bodied with flavors of hops and fruit but not in big doses. Finish is crisp and progressively bitter throughout the glass. I found this to be a little mundane but it was not too bad. (279 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -19.5%

Typical summer ale, light bodied, light-medium carbonation and a cloudy pale yellow. Pours a one-fingered, white head that settles quickly but leaves some lace. Looking for the wheat and not finding it, this is a pale without the bitter hoppy aftertaste. 12oz bottle $1.75, from Liquor Barn, Lexington, KY. (306 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -19.5%

12oz. Bottle poured in to a pint glass.

A: Pours a light straw yellow with a off white head measuring a 1/4". Head faded away immeadiatley. Lots of carbonation inthe glass with alot of yeast floates.

S: Smells of citrus, yeast, and wheat. Nothing really strong coming from this one.

T: Citrus with some wheat. Almost no bitterness. Fisishes clean.

M: Meduim bodied, smooth, and lightly carbonated.

D: I would perfer a 2 Hearted Ale over a Oberon. This is not a bad summer beer. Just personal preference. I had to check this one out, maybe I'll pick it up again next summer. (578 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -19.5%

Fresh 12oz bottle in pint glass.

a - golden color with white top and a little cloudy with some visible particles.

s - smells wheaty and spiced, maybe some apple going on there. No biggie.

t - funky. I'm not sure what it is but something is just not right with me. I'll try more this coming summer with the hope that last years was just not that good.

m - this is where this beer really makes a bust with me. It leaves something on the tongue - something not good. Maybe a spice that doesn't agree with me - like you need to go brush your tongue and rinse with some mouthwash.

d - the redeeming note is that it's pleasantly carbonated, and light enough to be sessionable. But this would not be my first choice for a summer beer.

Bell's Oberon and Dreamweaver are smash hits yet they are my two least favorite of their popular beers. They can make a killer IPA like Two-hearted (which I would gladly grab over Oberon in a summer swelt) to my beloved Kalamazoo stout which is just delightful. At Troegs in 2010, we attended their saturday tasting and got the trays and filled every growler we could find. When the waitress came and grabbed our trays, none of us had finished the dreamweaver or the oberon. The waitress was surprised enough to say, "Wow, didn't like the dreamweaver or the oberon?!" None of us did. Oh well. The rest were great! And even the scratch beat the Oberon. Hands down.

edit: And NO! I'm not throwing an orange slice in the bottle! If it needs an orange or a lemon, package it with one. (1,515 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -19.2%

I bought a case of this, and I'm almost halfway in now, so I think it's high time for a review.

The pour into my Penn Weizen glass raises a very short head that's quite literally gone with the wind (I find that if I don't pour very lightly, the beer loses what little carbonation that it has, and tastes dead). The lacing is very spotty and slick. Below, the body is a bright golden yellow that lets color but not images pass through.

The nose is very light and bready, with a tiny bit of acidity and yeast. Otherwise, that's it. Really lacking here.

Taste:it's light and refreshing, with just a bit of wheat flavor and light banana undertones. It's a bit tangy at the end, and sweet.

The mouth is fairly light, with carbonation that seems only tenuously involved with the liquid. There's just enough as long you pour lightly.

If anything, buying a case of this due to its reputation will hopefully, finally teach me to not make whole case purchases without sampling first. It's not a bad beer, and it certainly is refreshing, but it leaves a lot to be desired. (1,078 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -19%

Enjoyed outside at Sir Benedict's Tavern last night.

A - Hazy yellowish orange color. Whitish head fades quickly to a film. Lacing is average.

S - Orangey citrus flavors, cream and a bit of earthiness.

T - A light tasting beer, bitter and sweet hops with wheat. Hoppy bitter orange finish.

M - Light to medium consistency with medium carbonation.

D - Not a bad beer but not really an excellent beer either. I find myself wanting more out of the taste of this beer, as it competes with better tasting summertime wheat beers like Sam Adams wheat. (562 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -19%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle, purchased in Rockford, Illinois on business.

Appearance- The yeast makes this one extremely cloudy. Almost carrot juice color. Surprisingly little head. Bright orange.

Smell- Over-ripe fruits - banana and strawberry. Vague wheat.

Taste- Bold for a wheat beer. Strong wheat flavors followed by some tangerine-like notes and a slice of banana. Sweet and juicy flavors.

Mouthfeel- Similar to both a fruit juice and a soda. Rather thick for the style.

Drinkability- An odd beer- not at all what I was expecting, but perhaps worth another try. (567 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -18.7%

On-tap at the Hopleaf in Chicago.

Nice looking light orange color, average head.

Big yeast and light citrus aromas, so far on target for a wheat beer.

Very creamy, little carbonation. Very light flavors in every department. Yeast and orange flavors are most noticable but not particularly strong.

Not too impressive, I was excited to try a Bell's product, but I probably should have picked something else, pretty boring. (432 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -18.7%

Cloudy golden hue, from the floating particulates and swirling yeast. Very light carbonation with no head retention or lacing. Has a very homebrewed aroma. Light hopping, present more through bittering than aroma. The more subtle fruit flavors of the wheat are masked by the bitterness. I would have preferred less bittering to allow the wheat/fruit flavors be more pronounced. Not really what I think of when I want a summer seasonal, but a pretty good, interesting beer nonetheless. (484 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -18.7%

My friend's girlfriend brought a sampler of Bell's brews down to Florida from her home in Indiana. Thanks Anna and Adam for sharing. I haven't seen Bell's in Florida.

I have to confess that I like the name for this beer. Why not name your summer ale after a Shakespeare character? Good choice. The beer doesn't quite live up to the great name, though.

Maybe it's because I'm a big fan of German wheat beers. American wheats seem bland to me. But since I just had Samuel Adams' Hefeweizen, I think Bell's Oberon Ale is just a tad too light. I would hope for a bit more substance. But this beer is still quite drinkable. It is a decent summer choice for drinking on a hot day. (680 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -18.7%

Transparent golden body, no head by the time I received it, nice lace however.

Aroma is sweet orange, wheat, and hints of hops.

Flavors of orange zest, lemons, floral hops, and grainy wheat. Spice profile is way too strong in my opinion, as it overshadows the citrus and wheat. (279 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Golden color with a finger of white head that fades within a minute.

S - Almost no aroma to speak of, unfortunately. If I really strain to pick something out, I get a generic bready wheat and floral hop aroma.

T - Mildly sweet up front with moderate hop bitterness that follows through the finish. Some spiced estery banana flavor plays around in the background.

M - Thin body with bright, tingly carbonation. Sweet, sticky finish. (438 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

*i did not like and would not buy*

app: looks like a fish tank, strange big bubbles and lots of floating fish food.not much head. looks like what comes out after you have a lot of vitamins.

smell: smells like a car air freshiner i use to have, of course mixed with some mellow malts.

taste: mellow smooth round easy going. lil uneasy after taste, this is a nice but odd beer. zingy hop citrus, but thick and coating wheat.. strange blend for me..

mf: way to coating and gooey.

drinkable?: not for me. to thick to odd. but i guess you could chug it?? (555 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -18.4%

Look: Seriously hazy orange-gold (think orange juice) with some white lacing. Smell: Wheat beer smells with some citrus and kind of a syrupy sweetness
Taste: Sharp citrus and fruity wheat and hops (well blended) with some non-hop related bitterness towards the finish. Doesn't taste overly sweet but the nose gives it a syrupy sweetness
Feel: Medium body (not light), not sure if its psychological but seemed thick, syrupy in a way

Overall: Stylistically it's hard to identify anything that's "wrong" with this one. it's got a nice balance and blend of flavors but i just couldn't get into it. Part of it was the syrupy quality which is most prevalent in the nose. The bitterness, which seems more grain related than hop related, was also a bit off-putting. Kind of a disappointment. (787 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -18.2%

A - Pours as a very hazy straw color with a very muted head. The floating stuff is in suspended animation in the beer. It's like those lucite paperweights only more hazy and yellow

S - I know that several have gotten citrus in the nose, but all I'm getting is malty. It's not very cold, so I would imagine that if there was anything else to be sniffed, I'd get it. I don't.

T - Just like the nose. Malty. I get a little of the citrus in the taste but it's not overwhelming. A little bitter, but it's not the most demanding calling card of the taste.

M - Significant carbonation with a light yet silky mouthfeel. Not too much aftertaste.

I'm not incredibly impressed by this. Maybe an orange wedge could tune it up, but I'm not into all that. (746 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -18.2%

This brew is so highly acclaimed in the Midwest with a very loyal following. I have had it before and was not a huge fan. Decided today to grab another one while at the bar on an extra hot Florida summer day to see if I was missing something before.

A: Hazy golden yellow as you would expect from a wheat beer. There is a nice head upon the pour made up of millions of tiny bubbles which quickly die down.

S: There is a nice yeasty malty character to this brew. Very tiny amounts of orange and lemon can be detected.

T: Not a lot of flavor here. There is a malty flavor with a hint of orange. Nothing to write home about.

M: Light and bubbly.

D: It goes down easy.... Too bad it don't taste better.

Overall: I am the first to get on this site and sing praises when it comes to Bell's. I'm sorry to the loyal following but I just don't get this beer. There is some wheat and some orange, but nothing else. It's really pretty blah. Short of being cold on a hot day it doesn’t have a lot going for it. This is a definite deviation from Bell's other wonderful beers. If you love it hey, more of it for you. I will stick to their other tried and true gems. (1,170 characters)

Bell's Oberon Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.