Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Bell's Oberon Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Oberon AleBell's Oberon Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002

Bell's Oberon is a wheat ale fermented with Bell's signature house ale yeast, mixing a spicy hop character with mildly fruity aromas. The addition of wheat malt lends a smooth mouthfeel, making it a classic summer beer.
Reviews: 1,670 | Hads: 6,246
3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

most bell's beers in my opinion seem to be too fat and having too much hops, too much malt, or just too much of something. this beer on the other hand is very tasteful and balanced. citrus aroma, hops and malt are all well represented for this style of beer. the thing holding this beer back in my opinion is the large amount of yeast at the bottom of bottle which takes away from it's drinkability if one is always wondering "if i drink one more will i have the runs and a hangover from hell tomorrow?" but it is what it is and changing that might take away from the taste so i'll accept it.

4.3/5  rDev +12.3%

This a great ale. Good for the pallate and easy on the stomach. Very nice. I get the impression this is a Belgian style because of the stickiness and malt character. Nice to see the Midwest represent a little bit. I'll be going back for more of this for sure.

4.38/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was the first beer that I tried after turning 21 recently. The first bottle that I had I did not like but I gave it another chance and now love it!!! I think it is great to have on a hot summer’s day. It has a very unique taste with a hint of wheat in my opinion. Keep up the great work Larry Bell!!!! I would recommend this to anybody that is looking for something on a hot summer’s day.

Updated taste information: After having another glass of oberon I can really pick out a slight bitterness/citrus flavor at first which then finishes out with a ending wheat taste. It has a smooth mouthfeel also.

3.03/5  rDev -20.9%

( Served in an American pint glass)

A-This beer pours a hazy golden yellow with a gentle carbonation and a nice creamy white head that turns into a thin film on the top.

S- This beer has a clean faint smell of yeast and soft wheat there is a faint hint of old hops that are very gentle.

T- This beer has a very light wheat and pale malt taste with some faint notes of citrus characters. Not really lemon or orange just citrus. A slight acidic dryness finishes the beer with a very light hop note.

M- This had a medium mouthfeel with some fizz that makes it a bit more full.

D- There is not much complexity or uniqueness to this beer. It is very smooth but it doesn't have any strong wheat beer qualities nor are the hops really a major character. Nice and gentle for a summer quafting.

3.92/5  rDev +2.3%

On-tap at the Glass Nickle location on Atwood Ave here in Madison. Enjoyed with a bloody mary and a half/half Thai/Mexican pizza that was amazing.

Pours a golden straw color, a little cloudy and with a tiny white foamy head that turns to a spotty, thin coating. Smell is fresh - fruity and floral notes with a pale hoppiness and a bit of wheat graininess. Taste is much of the same and the fruit and floral aspects become more pronounced as it warms. Fairly highly carbonated, but not to the point of a bite. Mouthfeel is creamy but refreshing nonetheless. A good summer beer that went down well on a hot summer day that is approaching 100 degrees. I'm not much of a pale ale advocate, but this was a pretty tasty, fairly complex brew that I wouldn't hesitate trying again on a hot day.

3.74/5  rDev -2.3%

Love the label. The somewhat bemused sun against the blue background, with the mix of bright and light colors sums up the beer's purpose: a summer brew. Anyways on with the review. The bottle pours out a yellow-orange hazy liquid. It is somewhat opaque, with a normal head, that dissipates rather quickly. Truly the color reminds me of the sun on a hot, humid summer day. The smell is not strong. It is mainly that of wheat, slight hops and a bit of a citrus tinge. Nothing special really. Taste is surprisingly full for a wheat beer. It is crisp, flavorful and ends with a bit of bitter kick. On the palate, the beer holds up relatively well. Obviously not as thick as fuller brews, but for a pale wheat not as thin as one would expect. Overall, this beer comes off well. It is very drinkable, and well suited for a warm, sunny day. Not sure I would feel the same way about it if reviewing in January though.

3.06/5  rDev -20.1%

Pours a hazy light gold with a head that doesn't last. Carbonation is good and thin towers of bubbles keep a thin white lace lingering around the ring. Not much aroma, just a bit of malt and yeast, no hop whatsoever. This beer has a subdued flavor profile. A little malt flavor, a little yeast flavor, a light citrus hint from the Saaz hops, and some hop bite which continues into the aftertaste. A light refreshing beer that would fit in the "lawnmower" category.

4.4/5  rDev +14.9%

Thanks to my non-BA drinking buddy, Dave, who recently brought this back from MI as part of a mixer-sixer.

The appearance is decent, but nothing impressive. Pours to an almost white, cloudy pale yellow color with a nice pillowy white head. Looks like almost every American Pale Wheat Ale I've ever tried.

The smell is very subdued. A bit wheaty, but nothing that really jumps out.

The taste is good. Has a mild bite from the wheat malt while at the same time being slightly sweet with a very, very minimal hint of banana esters. Quite crisp and refreshing, and very highly quaffable. Makes a great summer brew, but there are too many on the market to make this one a stand-out example.

edit: Oct. 26, 2006. I've tried this beer again after it's distributional debut in the state of IA. On second thought, this beer does indeed stand above its competitors in the pale wheat style. Much hoppier than I remembered it (centennial), though I believe it is much fresher than when I previously had it as well. Very, very drinkable. Like a beer version of tang, but much less tangy.

2.63/5  rDev -31.3%

Pours a hazy deep golden yellow witha thin ivory head. Smells of crisp wheat malt.

Tastes of grainy wheat. Hints of lemon and farina (!?!). A bit bland really. Mouth is crisp. Pretty drinkable I guess. A half step up from most boring American wheats but that is faint praise indeed.

4.35/5  rDev +13.6%

Summertime,... and the drinkin's easy...

Golden shimmering nectar, hazy with mystery and promise. Pillowy and white, the head makes me want to jump in and take a nap. Yeasty, bready aromas waft upward, followed by slight hints of tropical fruits and citrus oils. My tastebuds are massaged by the smooth creaminess, flavors penetrate, spice -wheat - flowers - apricot/banana - yeast. Drinkable? Damn skippy.

3.78/5  rDev -1.3%

Well I've probably had this beer over 100 times and I've never rated it, so last night when I had one I figured its about time. Yellowish opaque white in color (served with an orange which I removed) with a white head. The beer is loaded with malt, bread and sweet wheat, and citrus. The flavor is sweet with moderate bitterness, wheat malt blended fresh bread, and a slightly fruity and even more slightly spice. As a wheat beer it has plenty of body and a nice lingering sweetness. This is one of the best summer beers out there, refreshing, not overly hopped or spiced, and well balanced.

3.73/5  rDev -2.6%

This pours hazy light amber green with some suspended sediment. I then swirled the bottle to get a big glop of yeast, and now there are floaties everywhere. I did it to myself, intentionally, and I guess I wanted that. It looks good without that, so you can choose when you pour.

Smells pretty good. Sweet, floral and citrusey.

Tastes dry, hoppy, lemon peel and some grass a little bit.

Mouthfeel is pretty good. it is creamy, surprisingly so for a summer brew.

Finish is dry, with a slight bitterness I don't like (it was because of that bitterness that I dropped the "drinkability" from 4.0 to 3.5).

The body is nice. It isn't really thin, but it is isn't heavy either. Not lacking, it is good and solid but not too much for a summer beer.

This is a really good summer brew worthy of trying. If you see it, do give it a try.

4.15/5  rDev +8.4%

A great summer beer and one of the better wheat beers I have had.

Amber-yellow in color with a white head that sticks around for a little while.

The smell isn't overpowering, pretty subtle with the wheat malts coming through, hint of lemon.

The taste is smooth, clean and surprisingly crisp for how thick the beer is. very refreshing and slightly bitter. Not overly challenging to the inexperienced palate.

Goes down easy, but the alcohol content is a little higher than most wheat beers, so session drinkers should be wary.

4.08/5  rDev +6.5%

A- dark, hazy orange with a white head that fades quickly. On my first beer i poured gently and there was not much of any head, but on the second i made an aggrisive pour and recieved a nice fluffy white head.

S- the smell is similar to other wheat beers, with sweet apricot dominating the overall scent.

T- sweet fruits, mild hop presence with hints of spices.

M- not to thick but definitely not thin. extremely smooth.

D- because this is so easy to drink, especially at 6%, i would get myself into trouble with these.

overall this was a very clean and refreshing beer. i would have to agree with the majority of reviews when i say this is problably the perfect summer beer. definitely worth a try!

4.01/5  rDev +4.7%

Appearance: Pours from the bottle a clear golden color. When the swirled yeast is poured in, it of course becomes cloudy; more cloudy than most American Pale Wheats I have seen. The head is thin and white, and recedes to leave a thin coating of bubbles on top.

Smell: Smells pretty wheaty with a nice odor of yeast. Herbal hints of lemon balm. Pleasing, clean and slight hop aroma.

Mouthfeel: Medium light in body with a perfect amount of carbonation. Light and refresing on the tongue.

Taste: Clean wheat malts, low hop flavor and bitterness, some light citrus, not much else. Finishes dry and clean with a little hops lingering.

Good summer seasonal, wish I was able to get them more readily so I could take some out on the boat. Well balanced and very drinkable.

Batch # 6766

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a golden yellow with a chill haze. Very white head develops and eave a small 3 mm high remaining head. Smell is of grains. Slight bitterness and a grainy taste on first sip. Very refreshing in mouthfeel. Almost lager like in smoothness and ease of drinking. Actually I take that back because it isn't as light as a typical pilsner lager. Most notice is taste is malty and of grains. Mild citrusy taste. I've had this much better on tap where you get the sludgy bits near the bottom and it takes on a much more tangy taste. That is when this beer really shines. It's bottled version has been taking on the life of the Midwest's version of Fat Tire.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

Tried this on tap this evening. Poured a SOP murky, pale slate-gold with a tight 1/4" head of mildly clinging white foam dancing on a fountain of numerous bubbles.

Nose is very mild, citrusy if anything. Initial taste on the tongue is like the nose - mild, citrusy (faint lemon), maybe some spiciness, kinda creamy. The tastes level off on the pallete and it finishes sharper on the throat with more pronounced flavors of the initial tastes. Aftertaste is slick, but not unpleasant.

This is a safe beer. No real adventure to speak of. This would fall into the "if nothing else is available" category it would be a good beer, but I'll pass on buying more.

4.7/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Much better (and I assume fresher) than last time I had this beer. There was a big malty presence that was clearly the basis for the classic wheat beer flavors, Which were delicious anyways. I could taste a little alcohol, which was definitely an attribute of this beer. Excellent wheat beer, served at my request without citrus garnish. This is a good beer for any summer wheat occasion.

3.92/5  rDev +2.3%

I've been drinking this beer for years. Time for an update on my review. this beer pours and orange color with foamy white head when poured right. The head usually disappears a while after the pour. It smells of fruity esters, citrus, & yeast. The taste pretty much follows the nose. There is a definate fruit presence. Orange and also a yeasty flavor that is rather nice. Maybe my taste buds have changed over the years but this beer taste a little more yeasty than it had in years past. Good mouthfeel and overall a very drinkable beer. I consume more Oberon than any other beer ever. A beer like this can make Michigan winters real long since this is a seasonal summer brew.

4.1/5  rDev +7%

Murky, honeyed gold. No chance of seeing through it. Topped by just a film of white head.
Smlled of musty wheat. Extremely fruity - touches of orange, apricot and pear.
Fruity, juicy and highly spicy in taste. Its tanginess awakens the tongue and then rings out mildly bitter. It's even slightly drying. A unique wheat beer. Tasty and damn refreshing, despite its medium to full body.

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

Served in a pint glass at Bado's in Mt. Lebanon, Pennsylvania.

A great name for a beer, and I've been excited to try this one for a while. And now that it's summer, let's do it.

Appearance: I expected this to be more yellow than orange for some reason, but it seems to be more orange in color, and that makes for a more beautiful beer in my opinion. Hazy, with a nice head that stays close to the top of the glass with the pour and also stays nicely on top of the beer with each sip.

Smell: Some herbal tones, grassiness, malt, yeast, zest, some sweetness. However, it seemed pretty unbalanced, and the amalgam wasn't as cohesive as I wanted it to be.

Taste: You're damn straight you should be drinking this in summer, and I wouldn't want to consume it at any other time. Here the taste is more balanced than the aromas, as the sweetness of the malt comes through mostly at the beginning, with the zest following closely, finally leaving a slight hop bitterness into a balanced malt sweetness. Though this could be more interesting, it's done well, and it's very refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium-bodied, and though I wish it was creamier, it's still quite nice. Seems to become a bit less palatable as it warms, but only slightly. I wouldn't want it ice cold, but I wouldn't want to drink this from the cellar either of course.

Drinkability: There are other beers I'd rather have than this, though it's still a great treat and surely something to be drinking on a summer day for a refresher for both body and taste buds. With some more care and attention this could be a damn fine beer, but as it stands it's good. Not something I'm going to buy a case of, but something I'll definitely try again.

4.29/5  rDev +12%

Pours a hazy, straw yellow topped by a bright white head, two fingers tall. Good Lacing. Citrus aromas of lemongrass and straw. Sweet and citrussy. Lemon zest and an earthiness in the flavor. Bitterness only as balance. Medium-light in body, yet tongue coating.

Oberon is one of my favorite summer beers. It doesn't fit neatly in to any catagory. This beer might be best defined as a double wit, or some other clever new style expansion. It's a great beer to sit on the docks and watch the boats come in. Oberon is still THE Michigan summer thirst quencher.

Edit: Tried this beer again recently and enjoyed it more this time. My ratings have been slightly upped, from my original 3.85

The original review is below:

First time trying Oberon and fairly underwhelmed.

To be fair American Wheats are far from my favorite beers, I adore The Hefeweizen, but feel The American Wheats lack in comparison.

So perhaps my opinion was clouded before the first taste.

From an apperance standpoint, I would rate this beer pretty highly. It's cloudy... has a nice thick head when poured into my Paulaner Hefe glass and in general is how one would expect a beer of this type to look.

From a smell standpoint, to be honest I can't really smell much. There is a bit of a spicy sort of smell. Can't put my finger on what it is excatly though. I do think it smells good though whatever it may be. Wheaty for lack of a better term, not as experienced in terms in terms of reviews of some of you, so please excuse my lack of a proper term.

The taste is solid and has the traditonal citrus taste again that you would expect from an ale of this type, but much like most American Wheat beers, lacks the complexity of The Germans and thus loses some points in my book.

That being said for what it is, it's solid enough, if not great.

This beer is dangerous, because it's easy to drink alot of and to drink quickly, due to it's easy going nature.

Expected more from this brewery though and while I would rate most of their brews in the excellent range, this one is mearly good.

Not something I'm likely to buy too often, but could see myself buying it two or three times a year, when in the mood for something different.

3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours from the bottle a bright yellow orange with a nice bubbly head on top. No complaints here. Aromas of sweet wheat grains and a good dose of tropcial fruity flavors. A hint of spiciness wafts up into my nose as well. Refreshing.

First sip brings a nice pale/wheat maltiness upfront along with a refreshing fruity, citric flavor that rolls across the tongue nicely. Soft spiciness makes itself known on the way down along with yeast notes. Easily one of the tastiest American wheat beers around and one I look forward to each summer.

Mouthfeel is crisp, smooth and slightly creamy. Much more body here than most wheats, which makes me happy. This is an all around great summertime brew. Seriously drinkable and refreshing...I could see a six pack disappearing on a hot summer day no problem!

3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours out a cloudy golden yellow color. There were some chunks at the bottom which I managed to put into the beer. Head is very fluffy and white due to the wheat malting. Some lacing. Smells sort of like a good hefeweizen. I can smell banana, fresh fruit (strawberry?!), and some vanilla spice. Nice! Taste has an up front snap followed by banana flavors; finished off by a little hop kick where I usually get clove spice from the German hefe's. Not too rich in the mouthfeel. This could be a good beer to prepare someone for a real German HefeWeizen. In otherwords, this beer isn't as complex as some of the other wheat beers of the world, but is very drinkable nonetheless.

Bell's Oberon Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.