Bell's Oberon Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Oberon AleBell's Oberon Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002

3.58/5  rDev -6%

Ugly bottle. Translucent custard colored liquid with a foamy white head. No lace but strong retention from glass top to bottom.

Smells of like a bag of oats and yeasty wheat funk.

Tastes like lemon citrus and wheat. Mild herbal hop in back lingers for a drying aftertaste. Pretty standard stuff here albiet done well.

For what it's worth I don't like wheat beers and I liked this one. Goes good with a sunny day.

3.9/5  rDev +2.4%

12oz. Batch #9055. Poured a cloudy yellow with a very slight hue of orange. Some particulates with a foamy white head. Aromas are of grass, wheat, lemon, and yeast. Tastes are similar - wheat, lemon rind, dried grass, with a nice balanced hop finish. Really nothing wrong here, but Oberon has never really wowed me like other Bell's offerings.

3.95/5  rDev +3.7%

I've had this tons of times - it's not my favorite pale wheat ale, but it's really solid and a good, readily available go-to.

Appearance: Pours very clear golden-yellow with some orangey-copper highlights. The 2 finger white creamy head fades and retains at a 1/2 finger with some lacing sliding down the glass. Good carbonation shows throughout.

Smell: Good clean and crisp wheat pairs with a subtle citrus hop.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Taste is full of wheat and a slight hop presence that's not too bittering. Slightly present yeast, a little tartness and some crisp malts in the aftertaste. Taste is not terribly distinct not flavorful...more balanced and mild. Feel is decently carbonated, a little on the wet, thin side.

Drinkability: Very high - the light feel and subtle flavors make it refreshing and easy to down. I prefer the ST Hop Sun or the 3F Gumballhead in this style, but this one is definitely solid and worth a try.

3.85/5  rDev +1%

A very nice beer overall, I am happy that Bell's finally made its way to SC.

The beer pours a nice luminescent yellow with orangey-red notes. There is some nice cloudiness and a thin crown that disappears quickly but laces well.

The smell and taste both have characteristics that I can only describe as chardonnay-like...sorry. There is some oaky butteriness, some light ripe fruit, very different and impressive.

This leads to a nice mouthfeel as well, crisp with just enough body.

I could drink quite a few pints of oberon, one of the better summer beers I have had.

3.71/5  rDev -2.6%

one of the best summer ales...thats all that needs to be said...pours a cloudy light orange, typical of the wheat ale...inviting white foam which stuck around...smells of wheat bread and hint of orange fruit...taste is moderate, not too much but very refreshing and crisp...you'll get the orange fruit and what you'd expect from a summer wheat ale...not typically a big fan of this type of beer as i like the stronger tasting beers...but bell's has got this one right...

its popular for a reason...def. pick up a six pack for any upcoming trip to the beach and enjoy on the back porch around late afternoon....you'll think me later if you do...

3.66/5  rDev -3.9%

Everyone loves Oberon...we'll see how it stands up to my super-critical beer snob reviewing prowess (jk, I like it too, and this is like my 8th review).
This serving was poured into a pilsner glass by the way, just for kicks (also cause I thought it would look nice).

A: Nice semi-hazy pale orange color, with a decent sized head. Head retention is average, Lacing is sort of distributed in a non-committal manner across the glass.

S: Mild citrus aromas, the aromas aren't really giving away too much, preferring most of the experience to be tasted.

T: Orange peels, light wheat taste, and no banana-like flavors (this definitely is an American wheat, so at least it distinguishes itself well).

M: Moderate carbonating and a light body. Extremely clean finish.

D: Goes down easy, as advertised.

While Oberon is definitely a leader in the light summer beer class, I'm pretty sure that it essentially holds its popularity on the basis of bridging the gap between lighter and full flavored beers. Nothing special, simply a nice tasting, easy-to-drink ale that has its place firmly in the heart of the Michigan faithful.

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

After attending a Bell's brewery launch party last weekend at Barleys Taproom in Greenville, SC. I was very excited about purchasing my first Bells six-pack and giving it a proper review.
Pour a hazy tangering-amber/lemony color, v ery nice fluffy white heasd caps this brew. Active bubbling, looks readyto drink!
Smells of musty wheat grains, yeast comes through in a slighty spicy note finishes dry,lemony-sweet, almost a meyer-lemon note in there.
Upfront in flavor, creamy sweetish citus. Almost like candied orange peel, or dried apricot. The wheat flavor comes into balance with a nice hit of mustiness, however sweetish fruits dominate. A fine bit of lingering yeast spiciness is left on the palate, leaving your tongue tingling for another sip. As I drink, even candied ginger comes to mind. I do enjoy this sweetness, however, its as refreshing as a cool glass of lemonade on a hot day.
Drinkability is good, however, I personally prefer a German Hefe or Belgian Wit over the American Wheat style. I would like to cook with it however, A nicely spiced, gingered Thai noodle dish, or very must Muenster cheese would marry beautifully into this brew This is a good offering, and now that it's finally avaliable in SC I see myself buying this brew in the hot summer months ahead.

3.26/5  rDev -14.4%

I've seen some reviews on here that indicate this is better on tap. I hope so because I had some pretty high hopes for this brew and was a bit let down.

A-It's orange in color with 1 finger of head that doesn't stick around long and a litle lacing left on the glass

S-The nose was weaker than expected with a faint orange smell as well as some bread after really searching for it.

T- It has a nice wheat flavor with a slight citrus flavor coming through from a mild hop presence. The bitterness from the hops is a bit underwhelming and I was left wanting more to come through even though it's probably not really keeping to the style. But for personal taste, I wanted some more flavor coming through.

M- The mouthfeel is quite good and is probably the best part of the beer.

D- I'm going to have to give this a try on tap since I was definately a bit let down by the bottle. I am typically happy with Bell's brews but this one didn't really win me over.

3.51/5  rDev -7.9%

Had this on tap at Downtime on Wednesday during the Twins game.

On tap from the bar. Served in a pint glass, color is a hazy golden orange. Decent white head, minimal lacing.

The nose is lots of wheat malts. Sort of sweet smelling, with a dash of spice. Also a noticeable hop bitterness, at least noticeable from a wheat beer standpoint.

Pretty good taste. When I first got into craft beers, I had a lot of wheat beers, and I loved them. Since then, I have kind of thought they where bland. This one is definitely heavy on wheat. There is also a substantial citrus and spice taste to if. Nothing to special, but for an American wheat beer, it's pretty impressive.

Mouthfeel is cripa nd smooth at the same time. A strong carbonation makes for a crisp stinging feeling, while the heavy wheat malts make it sweet and smooth. Overall very drinkable.

Another solid offering from Bell's, and another of their brews that make it to the top of it's class.

3.85/5  rDev +1%

Oberon
Reviewed @ E Street JB, 5/15/09
Draft>pint glass
A 3.5 - orangish amber in color, smaller head than normal, could have been the pour?
S 3.5
T 4.0 Citrus and malty caramel in taste. Semi sweet malt base with a deep citrus finish.
MF 4.0 - Medium+ in body, Medium in carbonation
D 4.0 - I dig this for a seasonal Bell's offering. I am always excited when it comes out in the spring!

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a weizen glass. Thanks, Kadonny!

Pours a hazy golden color. Decent white head doesn't last too terribly long. Some nice lacing.

Big wheaty nose. Some spice, and a little bit of fruity hops.

Flavor essentially follows the nose. Wheat malt and a very, very light hop bitterness. Also light spicing. Bone dry finish. Just doesn't seem like there's much depth to the flavor.

Very crisp and refreshing. Easy drinker. Body doesn't seem as light as most wheats. Very smooth.

This is a beer that's awesome on Tap but it's terrible in a bottle.

A-It's got kind of a dark orange color if I can remember correctly.

S-It's got a nice orange scent to it.

T- When it's actually on tap it tastes REALLY good. Kind of similar to Blue Moon.

M- It feels great in the mouth it goes clean.

D- Its great on tap but it's not good in a bottle. It's way overpowering if it's in a bottle. At least to me it is.

Overall, Oberon is a tap Beer.

3.81/5  rDev 0%

Poured In: Pint Glass

Appearance: Pours a golden yellow color. Lots of floaties in the glass. Probably a mixture of wheat and yeast.

Smell: A whole whiff of wheat. Wheat beers never smell the best to me.

Taste: The first sip I wasn't quite sure, but the more I drink the more I like it. A nice blend of wheat flavors at the front, finishing with a nice citrus splash.

Mouthfeel: Just right. Light to medium body. A nice feel on a warm day.

Drinkability: I'm not sure how often I'd dish out the money for an Oberon. I think there are some better priced wheat beers for the quality. I'm glad I tried it though, and I'm sure it will make an appearance somewhere in my coming Summer.

4.07/5  rDev +6.8%

I've had this beer a ton of times, time to review it.

Tasting note: Drank immediately after mowing the lawn.

A: Yellow with yeast floaters. Very clumped together rather than cloudy. Soft white head sits atop. Strong carbonation.

S: Grassy, carapils malty, and floral are the first three things I notice. I get a hint of lemon zest as well. Smells a bit like a pilsner. Definitely getting the aromas of saaz hops.

T: Slightly tart and a hint of sweetness from the malts. The hops are definitely present with a definite "pilsner" character. The hops are floral and slightly spicy. I do get a hint of lemon throughout as well.

M: Light bodied. Crisp, clean and finishes dry. Nice carbonation.

D: This is really an exceptional American wheat. Maybe not the best, but definitely an icon. Tastes kind of like a pilsner/wheat hybrid with the saaz hops. I like my American wheats with a bit more citrus character, but this beer is great in other ways. It has elements that please the beer geek, but at the same time may lure over a non-craft beer drinker. I will continue to enjoy this summer after summer.

4.06/5  rDev +6.6%

Appearance -Had a hazy gold color with very little head and no lace.

Smell - Very light smell, a little bit of orange.

Taste - Much better than the aroma. Could taste orange and lemon with sweet malt.

Mouthfeel - Medium body with good carbonation.

Drinkability - Very drinkable. It would be easy to have several of these.

3.71/5  rDev -2.6%

A Pours a hazy golden color with a medium white head.

S- Light wheat and citrus notes.

T- Wheat malts upfront, midpalate has a touch of sweet citrus, finishes with a touch of bitterness.

M- Somewhat syrupy with a moderate carbonation.

D- A solid wheat beer somewhat inconsistent when compared with years past. Worth trying and solid summer drinker.

3.8/5  rDev -0.3%

A- Not bad, a nice straw gold color with a small to moderate head.

S- Somewhat weak. Citrusy, slightly sour.

T- Pretty good. Decent amount of citrus and bittering hops paired with a slight wheaty backbone. Hint of pine/grass/earth in the finish.

M- Medium to light bodied. Well carbonated. Nothing special, but nothing bad.

D- Good session beer.

3.65/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured a hazy yellow/orange color with moderate white head. White particles floating throughout. Light malt. Aroma of citrus - grapefruit,orange,tangerine, pear, peach. One or more of those, I cannot decide. More citrus than wheat for me. Flavor of grain, citrus. Easy, smooth finish. Very easy going down. Not overly flavorful - all the aromas and flavor are subtle, and that is no necesarily a bad thing. IMO a very good summer session beer.

On tap at The World of Beer. The beer was a hazy yellow color with a thick white head that left a good deal of lacing. It had a grassy/outdoors aroma, with a little citrus. Lemony citrus taste, some malt. The beer was medium-bodied, very refreshing. Would be a great beer on a hot summer day.

3.98/5  rDev +4.5%

Sixer purchased at Wise Guys in Indiana (suburban Chicago). Second of two bottles I drank.

A- Mostly clear slightly cloudy pale yellow color. 2 Finger head after vigorous pour. Medium lacing on the glass.

S- This part of the beer was most disappointing to me. Had a sour slightly funky aroma. I should say that I expect some sourness from the wheat malt, but something was just a little off.

T- Had a clean, citrusy, slightly sour flavor. The hops were subdued but meshed well with the malt backbone that was present.

M- Smooth, clean and flavorful. Not much bite from the carbonation, this is a wonderful summer beer.

D- Being in Texas, summer lasts 7 months here. If I had access, this could possibly be my summer go to beer.

3.46/5  rDev -9.2%

12 oz bottle, thanks to IBUnit63.

Pours a clear, lightly hazed golden yellow, thin white head forms, quickly settles to a thin ring around the glass, few spots of lace stick, looks pretty good. Smell is neat, malty, some wheat, kind of vegetal, citrusy, some light floral, lightly fruity, some biscuit malt, light honey/caramel sweetness. Taste is biscuity, malty and sweet, some honey, wheat, light floral, lightly yeasty, light bit of veggie, bit of citrus, otherwise unexciting. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with medium carbonation, refreshing and drinkable if not doing a whole lot for me. Thanks Larry!

3.65/5  rDev -4.2%

Appearance: A cloudy yellowish orange with lots of suspended particles swirling around in it. It has a thick white head that left lots of frothy lace.

Smell: Smell is great with citrus, wheat, and spice.

Taste: Wheat, citrus, spice and hops all make an appearance but none are amazing. Just a little bitter at the end.

Mouthfeel/drinkability: Very light and crisp and not nearly as carbonated as I was expecting.

3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into water glass at work. Two Fridays in a row that someone brought beer in, and this time we got Bell's!

Appearance: Cloudy, burnished yellow-orange with small, but persistent head.

Smell: Strong orange smell upfront with wheat and Saaz hops in the background. Unfortunately, the smell becomes muted a couple minutes after pouring.

Taste: Orange flavored citrus countered by spicy (and ever so slightly bitter) Saaz hops. The wheat taste is fairly minimal. The taste of this beer is truly unique, as it seems like an orange flavored Pilsner.

Feel: Moderately high carbonation. Really feels more like a Pilsner despite being a wheat ale.

Drinkability: One of the ultimate summer beers, even though it could use a little more depth. Easy to keep drinking on a nice warm Minnesota day.

3.83/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have this every year and for some reason I never kept anything on it in any of my notebooks. Looks like now is the time.

A- Poured into a pint glass. Nice hazy golden straw color. Nice inch head that sticks around for a little while ending with nice lacing that slides down the glass.

S- Big wheat smell here. Nothing else really just wheat. Maybe the head is covering it up?? Once the head is a little less I can pick up on a doughy smell along with very slight hints of orange (citrus) undertones. Very faint though.

T- Big bitter citrus upfront dying down to a doughy wheat finish. This is not how I remember Oberon but maybe after a year of drinking big hopbombs my palate has taken a change. It's not bad I'm just not use to this. I taste a faint metalic tone to it as well. Not all the time but every once in a while.

M- Nice carbination makes this beer dance over the palate and down the throat. A light beer that is easily in the mouth. Crisp and refreshing.

D- I could drink this as a nice session beer when hanging out with friends sitting on the porch during a warm day. It is to my liking but something says that they might have changed this beer up a little bit over the years.

4.92/5  rDev +29.1%

Bright almost backlit appearance, orange color. Medium head and carbonation. Delectably earthy, mostly morel combined with a hint of citrus smell. Clean, crisp, semi-dry taste...no lasting aftertaste. Light to medium, smooth mouth feel. Easily my current favorite domestic ale.

Bell's Oberon Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.