Join our email list →

Bell's Oberon Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Oberon AleBell's Oberon Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Michigan, United States | website

American Pale Wheat Ale | 5.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002

Bell's Oberon is a wheat ale fermented with Bell's signature house ale yeast, mixing a spicy hop character with mildly fruity aromas. The addition of wheat malt lends a smooth mouthfeel, making it a classic summer beer.
Reviews: 1,678 | Hads: 6,322
4.05/5  rDev +5.7%

Appearance: Pours a nice cloudy gold with a foamy head that drops down to just some lacing.

Smell: Some citrus and flowery hop aromas come out, but nothing overpowering.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Tastes good, some citrus flavors, nice carbonation gives it a refreshing crisp taste initially and on the finish. Light bodied excellent summer beer.

Notes: I think I'd rather have two hearted ale, but its another solid beer from bell's.

4.6/5  rDev +20.1%

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A: Pours a pale gold color with about a finger of white creamy head and it is very cloudy. (Note: I pour the floaties in so this is part of the cloudiness. Another Note: I am not downgrading the score due to cloudiness/floaties because it does tell you to decant, but I like them!)

S: Smells very fruity and bready, not much else to say, has a good nose to it.

T: Strong flavors of wheat hit the palette. Following this is a nice perfectly crisp citrus hops to balance the flavor. I also get a nice yeasty taste from the floaties.

Overall: This is one of my favorite beers. It is immediately replaced whenever I run out. I love the balance and flavors in this beer on a summer day. I squealed in enjoyment when I saw the sticker at the liquor store saying it was back, and I don't squeal often. Perfect outdoor beer (which is why I almost always pick up a pitcher when at the UW Terrace). If you haven't had this beer yet, GET IT!

4.3/5  rDev +12.3%

I first had Oberon in May as part of a beer dinner at the Porter Beer Bar in Atlanta. I was not expecting much, wheat beers (or ales) not being my "thing". Man, was I surprised. Poured on tap into a pint glass, this beer is a cloudy pale orange - really quite lovely in its own right. The aroma was somewhat fruity, but not hoppy. I didn't spend too much time on admiring it, however, and tasted it - wow, talk about being blown away. This beer is simply so much more full flavored than any other wheat beer I've tasted, and perfectly balanced. Just when you think it might start to be a bit cloying, the bitterness kicks in and vice versa - a very "clean" tasting beer. I liked it so much I pretty much finished the pint before the actual appetizer course was served (Molly at the Porter was kind enough to "top off" my glass when it was). On top of all this, my wife, who is NOT a big beer drinker, truly loved it - the first time I've known her to really LOVE a beer. Since the dinner, I've purchased this in a six pack. While not quite as tasty as on draught, still a wonderful and refreshing beer to have at home.

2.94/5  rDev -23.2%

I've had a lot of Oberon over the years, and I think the 2010 batch is the best I've had, but I'm still pretty indifferent to the beer overall. It's nice because it's release typically marks the beginning of summer, but I find it to be highly overrated. I like many of Bell's products, but I'm not much of an Oberon fan.

A- If there's one thing I do like about Oberon, it's its appearance. It is a very pretty golden and orange beer, a little cloudy. Makes for a good beer to have your picture taken next to by the pool. (I also really dig the label design on the bottle and this year's Dali-themed mini kegs, but that doesn't really count for beer appearance)

S- To me, Oberon's downfall is its smell. I also expect more of a citrusy and crisp nose but every Oberon that I've ever been around has had an unappealing yeasty smell, reminiscent of a college apartment the morning after a kegger.

T- Average summer beer taste-- some honey, orange and citrus. Yeast flavor is also very apparent. I typically don't like to put fruit in my beer, but Oberon is best served with a slice of orange. This makes it above average but I can give the beer by itself only an average rating.

M- Nothing special.

D- Bit of a heavier beer, but also can be more refreshing that others. The drinkability can really depend on what you're doing and what time of year it is: it is highly drinkable outside in the warm sun while you watch the sweat bead down the glass, but not so much in fall when you're inside and the batch has gotten older.

3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

A - Pours a lovely golden color with a generous head, slightly hazy in the glass.

S - Like the bottle says, it smells like a summer days. A fruity scent is balanced with sweet and citrus notes.

T - A refreshing fruity beer with a hint of spice to it. A classic belgian wheat with a twist. Finishes sweet and delicious.

M - Creamy and just the right amount of carbonation. It's great when it's 90 degrees out.

O - A fantastic summer beer that I wouldn't mind enjoying all year round.

4.88/5  rDev +27.4%

3rd year in a row as my favorite spring-summer brew. I've sampled it every which way you can.
Orange gold. When poured in to an oversized pint glass look for a nice haze of yeast. 2 - 3"'s of beautiful creamy head that takes a little while to subside (usually can’t wait). The nose is not particularly fruity or citrusy, a touch of spice & flowers without the perfume. Very, very smooth, creamy, dry & quenching. Extremely easy to drink (too easy @ 6% ABV) the yeast is perfect with just a smidgeon of sediment left at the bottom of the glass, perfect for the next pour.

I purchased a case of this on sale at Westy's (Camp Hill, PA) for $27 to take to a Labor Day picnic.

I tried one this afternoon and I thought it was pretty good - easy drinking and tasty with no real aftertaste. I had some "everything" sourdough pretzels with it and they were a perfect accompaniment.

4.3/5  rDev +12.3%

While I do love this beer, part of it comes from spending way too much time in Bell's in my youth, enough so that I still want to call this beer Solsun (the original name, long story). Anyways...a great, refreshing beer, very cloudy when poured in a glass, while I generally avoid mixing my fruit and beer, an orange slice does add a nice touch to this. Great beer year around and very happy to have it now in Florida.

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%

A nice white-yellow hue, very reminiscent of a quality Belgian hefe. Although you could tag the usual banana, clove and citrus labels, this establishes something more enjoyable. Unfortunately seasonal, this could last through the fall. Relaxed palette, not overwhelmingly wheat or feminine, pleasantly subtle, would definitely pair well with certain foods. Larry Bell should really get his stuff to the east coast more consistently. I'd surely stock this in the fridge.

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

this beer poured with great color and a good amount of head. it's a pale golden yellow with yeast and particles still floating around as you drink. the smell, when first poured, was overwhelmed by yeast; however it soon mellowed out. The taste is malty and caramely with a slight hop finish. goes downed very smooth and is very drinkable. this is a very great beer.

4.3/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours a clear yellowish orange color with a small white head that gathers around the edges. Wheat and spicy notes in the aroma; a touch of lemon. The palate is light and refreshing, smooth on the tongue and lightly carbonated; not a bad finish. Good balance between sweetness in the malt and some dry spice and floral flavors. A little citrus in the flavor as well. Overall, refreshing and satisfying. Attention-grabbing for an American Wheat beer.

4.61/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I love this beer for the summertime. It has a bright dark golden hue along with a lively mouthfeel. It is great for the summertime because it has a very crisp and citrusy flavor. It has a slight finish of yeast and hops. I think that a Oberon is similar to my favorite beer, Blue Moon. Finish the beer off with a slice of orange makes it a perfect beer for a summer day.

3.38/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Just submitted review for what I thought was this beer & turned out to be Breckenridge Agave Wheat...what a travesty. This is a major upgrade already. On tap.
A - cloudy golden orange. Small wispy head.
S - orange, fresh dough...touch of lemon.
T - good mouthfeel, definite orange, Mellon, citrus. Pepper finish.
O - overall enjoyable.

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

Drank straight from the bottle because my mug was dirty. Bottle is really attractive with an orange and blue outlined label. I expect some citrus flavors and maybe wheat from the bottle. Couldn't judge the pour but the smell was a mixture of wheat, citrus,and a bit sweet. The taste was much the same tune as the smell; sweet and smooth with a hint of spice at the end. I got this beer from my friend Evan and questioned his judgment when he said it was good. I think this beer is an OK ale but my judgment may not be up to par considering I drink few standard ales.

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%

Oberon poured from the bottle a cloudy, golden orangey color with a rapidly fading white head. Nicely carbonated, with little bubbles dancing about and nice mouthfeel. The flavor is smooth, with nice hops presence that is flavorful but not overpowering. Exceedingly tasty. And dangerously drinkable.

4.39/5  rDev +14.6%

12oz bottle poured into goblet. It's bottle conditioned, and I chose to pour it without the sediment.

A: Pours deep yellow with sticky white head.

S: Floral, herbal hops predominate with malt and a touch of grain beneath. It's a VERY hot day and this beer smells VERY appetizing. It's like a beer flower.

T: Soft sweetness blends well with herbal hoppiness. Slightly tart backbone throughout. Smooth finish with low to moderate hop bitterness. Delicious and refreshing! A well-balanced combination of pleasant flavors without any harsh surprises.

M: Light-medium body, moderate carbonation. Soft mouthfeel (similar to a good Munich helles lager) gives the impression of lightness without being weak or watery.

D: I could drink this beer all day! But alas, this is my last one!

Overall, this is a fantastic beer. I wish I could get this in NJ. Must try on a hot summer day.

PS: I've tried this beer with sediment mixed in as well. This obviously changed the character of the beer, but it was just as enjoyable. Try it both ways.

4.35/5  rDev +13.6%

Summer is upon us and this is a great summer beer. Poured from the bottle to a pint glass. Lovely straw color with a 1 finger head. The taste is a nice light wheat beer with hints of orange. Agaiin, the perfect summer session beer. Mouthfeel was deadon and what you would expect. Overall, one of my favorite wheat ales. If you can get it, drop it in the fridge, mow you lawn and enjoy! You will find it an extreme easy-drinking pleasure.

3.25/5  rDev -15.1%

My son and his friends think this is the greatest summer beer in the bottle. I'll drink it but not all that crazy about it. It's good, don't get me wrong but I don't think it is great.

Maybe it's because wheat beers do nothing for me at any time but I wouldn't turn it down if it was offered. Could be some Michigan pride now that I am a New Yorker but...

3.59/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bell's Oberon Ale is a Michigan craft beer. This beer has an amber appearance with a nice foamy head. The smell is a little hoppy and has a strong hint of orange. The taste also has very strong orange notes. It has a light mouthfeel. Overall this is a very refreshing beer and I would strongly recommend it to non-beer drinkers trying to ease into beer.

4.57/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Great beer for a good mood with a bright dark golden hue and full, lively mouthfeel. Crisp, citrus flavor is very relaxing with a slight finish of yeast and hops. I love this beer. Wish it was available all year long, but then the opening day would not be aas fun. I equate Oberon to the McRib, in as its scarcity makes it even more desirable. Great Michigan Beer from a great brewery!

4.37/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Applearance-Very cloudy orange, some carbonation, ligher than last year's color

Smell-Wheat, orange, lemon, some spice (clove) notes. With a tad bit of citrus hops.

Taste-Oranges, wheat, lemon, some grass, good balance, slight bitterness. (served with orange slice, typically)

Mouthfeel-Light to medium bodied, some carbonation, but slightly watery. (good summery drink)

Overall-A wonderful summer beer, sweet and easy to drink drinking.

4.18/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Oberon is a great beer to enjoy in the warm summer months!
Appearance: very cloudy with a golden yellow color. Around a one inch head and came with an orange slice
Aroma: citrus wheat
Taste: great citrus flavor with a great subtle hop that balances the strong wheat flavor
Overall: Oberon is very refreshing and easy to drink. Definitely recommend it on a hot summer day!

4.76/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Great beer, not as strong as I remember but I still enjoy it. It came out on march 23 and I just bought it for the first and definitely not the the last time of the season. I believe this is the best beer Bell's makes. In my opinion the mini keg does taste a little better than the bottle.

4.36/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Yellow golden color with a nice citrus aroma. Strong scent of orange and lemon. Flavor brings out a feel of summer with its hints of orange and citrus. Sediments linger but do not hinder the flavors of the beer. Very good seasonal beer (especially for summer)

3.8/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Purchaser 7-11 Northern Blvd Douglaston, 6 pk 10.49....nice.

Beautiful. Great Packaging , no joke.

Promises to bring scents and colors of summer afternoon.
Delivered close , real close... got a nice not real hazy American Wheat.

grassy , lite hop , lie spice, some anise/agastace/licorice .
yeast had settled... but it is real new in their fridge, week old at best, got a nice clean pour...cake at bottom probably less headache

listed 5.8 % - didnt seemj boozy at all , very drinkable pending wheat beer headache.

real nice summer beer.

The pull downs keep me honest , weighted avg for the important stuff....

Bell's Oberon Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.