Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Bell's Oberon Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Oberon AleBell's Oberon Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002

Bell's Oberon is a wheat ale fermented with Bell's signature house ale yeast, mixing a spicy hop character with mildly fruity aromas. The addition of wheat malt lends a smooth mouthfeel, making it a classic summer beer.
Reviews: 1,663 | Hads: 6,199
4.2/5  rDev +9.1%

A nice white-yellow hue, very reminiscent of a quality Belgian hefe. Although you could tag the usual banana, clove and citrus labels, this establishes something more enjoyable. Unfortunately seasonal, this could last through the fall. Relaxed palette, not overwhelmingly wheat or feminine, pleasantly subtle, would definitely pair well with certain foods. Larry Bell should really get his stuff to the east coast more consistently. I'd surely stock this in the fridge. (469 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +13%

Summer is upon us and this is a great summer beer. Poured from the bottle to a pint glass. Lovely straw color with a 1 finger head. The taste is a nice light wheat beer with hints of orange. Agaiin, the perfect summer session beer. Mouthfeel was deadon and what you would expect. Overall, one of my favorite wheat ales. If you can get it, drop it in the fridge, mow you lawn and enjoy! You will find it an extreme easy-drinking pleasure. (437 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

My son and his friends think this is the greatest summer beer in the bottle. I'll drink it but not all that crazy about it. It's good, don't get me wrong but I don't think it is great.

Maybe it's because wheat beers do nothing for me at any time but I wouldn't turn it down if it was offered. Could be some Michigan pride now that I am a New Yorker but... (357 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bell's Oberon Ale is a Michigan craft beer. This beer has an amber appearance with a nice foamy head. The smell is a little hoppy and has a strong hint of orange. The taste also has very strong orange notes. It has a light mouthfeel. Overall this is a very refreshing beer and I would strongly recommend it to non-beer drinkers trying to ease into beer. (353 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Great beer for a good mood with a bright dark golden hue and full, lively mouthfeel. Crisp, citrus flavor is very relaxing with a slight finish of yeast and hops. I love this beer. Wish it was available all year long, but then the opening day would not be aas fun. I equate Oberon to the McRib, in as its scarcity makes it even more desirable. Great Michigan Beer from a great brewery! (385 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Applearance-Very cloudy orange, some carbonation, ligher than last year's color

Smell-Wheat, orange, lemon, some spice (clove) notes. With a tad bit of citrus hops.

Taste-Oranges, wheat, lemon, some grass, good balance, slight bitterness. (served with orange slice, typically)

Mouthfeel-Light to medium bodied, some carbonation, but slightly watery. (good summery drink)

Overall-A wonderful summer beer, sweet and easy to drink drinking. (441 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Oberon is a great beer to enjoy in the warm summer months!
Appearance: very cloudy with a golden yellow color. Around a one inch head and came with an orange slice
Aroma: citrus wheat
Taste: great citrus flavor with a great subtle hop that balances the strong wheat flavor
Overall: Oberon is very refreshing and easy to drink. Definitely recommend it on a hot summer day! (372 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Great beer, not as strong as I remember but I still enjoy it. It came out on march 23 and I just bought it for the first and definitely not the the last time of the season. I believe this is the best beer Bell's makes. In my opinion the mini keg does taste a little better than the bottle. (289 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Yellow golden color with a nice citrus aroma. Strong scent of orange and lemon. Flavor brings out a feel of summer with its hints of orange and citrus. Sediments linger but do not hinder the flavors of the beer. Very good seasonal beer (especially for summer) (259 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Purchaser 7-11 Northern Blvd Douglaston, 6 pk 10.49....nice.

Beautiful. Great Packaging , no joke.

Promises to bring scents and colors of summer afternoon.
Delivered close , real close... got a nice not real hazy American Wheat.

grassy , lite hop , lie spice, some anise/agastace/licorice .
yeast had settled... but it is real new in their fridge, week old at best, got a nice clean pour...cake at bottom probably less headache

listed 5.8 % - didnt seemj boozy at all , very drinkable pending wheat beer headache.

real nice summer beer.

The pull downs keep me honest , weighted avg for the important stuff.... (616 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +18.2%

2004: Just purchased my first case (this year, heh.) and the Oberon maintains its wonderful flavor profile. I wholeheartedly agree with the review written by feloniusmonk. Could I have said it better? Perhaps, but his review sums it up nicely.This stuff rocks my world. (269 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +5.7%

I poured one of these for me, and one for a friend. Hers was a lovely, smooth, cloudy caramel color, and mine poured lots of yeasty, chunky sediment. The head on both was thin and fine, with delicate lacing down the sides.

The beer smelled strongly of apricots and slightly yeasty. The fruity smell was more tart than sweet, and reminded me of Magic Hat's #9. There was no sweetness or tartness to the taste. It was very crisp and clean, a little yeasty, and a very light mouthfeel. This is decent summer ale, light, no heavy tastes, although the flavor is slightly lacking. It's extremely drinkable, however. I had two, and that's a lot for me in one setting (short attention span). (686 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -10.4%

Seemed to be a very ordinary pour - pretty good head, nice lace, not as cloudy as I would expect but had interestingly large ""floaties". They were about the size of a grain of sand (not conditioning from bottom either) and did not seem to clump or combine.

Nose was pleasent. Mouthfeel was appropriately full. Moderately carbonated. Taste had a little too much alcoholic twang to it. IMHO detracts from the flavor of the style.

Pretty good, but would not purchase again. (477 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -20%

I've been wanting to try this beer for a while now. Figured I pick one up before the end of summer. Got a mixed 6 pack from the local store.

Served from the bottle in a snifter glass. About a 1 inch head the quickly dissipates. Little lacing around the glass as it goes down.

Smell is somewhat pale fruit as well as the taste. I smell a bit of orange peel. The after taste is pretty good. Also a yeasty taste, as this beer is unfiltered. Did the light test and can see all those yeasties floating around. I don't mind!

This is a very drinkable beer. I will definitely pick this up again (591 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +22.6%

As stated on the label... the color and scent of a summer afternoon. This beer is a great warm weather companion that will not only "quench" a thirst but also leave the imbiber wanting more!

A= A rich amber color with requisite cloudiness. Upon glass entry, a reasonable head and resulting lace as consumption ensued.

S= Definate light fruit with a hint of sweet wheat.

T= Smooth and quenching with an off-dry finish.

M= 30% weight to viscosity ratio. Chewy.

D= "Session" ready .

Pairing suggestion: Puffed rice encrusted talapia with mango chutney. (555 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +12.5%

I love this beer. I have had it on draft at Buffalo Wild Wings, and shortly after, out of a bottle into a glass.

The beer is a good spicy wheat ale, and tastes like summer. It has an orange glow, and goes down smoothly.

Want an orange? Throw one in. This beer drinks no differently than Blue Moon or Shock Top, however, it's better and has an even higher ABV% content!

Try it today! (385 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Nothing special for a wheat ale. Yellow in color, head was quick to recede.

S: Again, nothing too special. Pleasant, with citrus and wheat.

T: Very smooth beer, very nice wheat flavor, with subtle flavors including citrus.

M: Light and carbonated, the way I generally like it.

D: Very good beer to relax and enjoy on a warm day. A good all-around easy drinking beer, and one of the best wheat beers I've had. (416 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +1.8%

Tasting a summer beer on a cold windy spring day is not ideal but at least it's fresh. I'm not a huge fan of wheat beers, but this one I really like. It pours a lovely golden color leaving a two finger head that quickly dissipates. The smell is surprisingly intense and reminds me of lagers my dad drank.

The mouthfeel is full and satisfying. The taste is a lively spritzer of apples and cherries. The carbonation is intense and really assaults the back and sides of the tongue.

How I wish this were a hot summer day because this would be one helluva thirst quencher after a long hot round of disc golf.

Oberon, King of the Fairies and Wheat Beers, thine beer is most quaffable and thine humble bottle cap most colorful. (725 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured into pint glass

S- Herbal, citrus

A- 1 finger head, pale amber color, low carbonation, cloudy, looks dull/flat. Good lacing.

T- Slightly citrusy, wheaty with hints of yeast

M- Medium, smooth carbonation, tastes..juicy

O- Complex, can't taste alcohol (261 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +2.6%

A: amber to orange in color with a bright white head 1/2 in. thick. spotty lacing and good head retention.

S: citrus and wheat. small hop character.

T: oranges and wheat with some malty sweetness. little noble hop flavor

M: light in mouth with moderate carbonation. goes down very easy

O: staple summer beer better this year than last. (339 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Very similar to a sunrise yellow and very opaque and cloudy. There was a little head that remained for most of the drink.

Smell: Faint orange and not much else.

Taste: Nice wheat backbone with a definite orange flavor that is isn’t overpowering.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation is just right and makes the beer very unique. It is a little high compared to most beers; the finish is smooth with a faint orange after taste.

Drinkability: Very drinkable and refreshing. This is a great dinner beer would compliment salads, chicken, and fresh fruit very nicely. It also does just find by itself. (611 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

When poured it had a large head was light and foamy leaving decent lacing. The color is a golden and cloudy. Can smell wheat, yeast and citrus and small amount of floral hops. Has a wheat and orange peel flavor with some floral hop that gives it a little zip. A light and crisp beer that I could see myself sitting by a campfire with on a warm summer night. (357 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -0.5%

I had a very nice night at work and came home to discover my husband had stocked the fridge with Oberon...ain't love grand!
Poured a bottle into a big Duvel tulip. I didn't get much head, but may have been too cautious in my pour. A pretty, warm, hazy orangey color. Some sediment swirling about. Wheaty, citrusy smell. The same wheat and citrus in the taste, as well as a little malty sweetness, followed by a little tangyness after the swallow. Nice and crisp. After a few sips I can pick out more maltiness in the smell. Not too much effervescence in the feel. Light on the tongue. Very drinkable. Nothing too complex, but I think that's how it's supposed to be. Gosh darn it, I like it! (690 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +6.2%

Had a bottle of this given to me by a distributor at work. I had bought one a week before the new release so I know it was about a year old, it tasted horrible, the beer had definitely gone bad. I figured I would give the fresh one a shot, glad I did.

A - Exactly what I like to see, cloudy golden and bottle conditioned goodness.
S - The smell isn't exactly pleasing at first then the orange peel, and wheat flavors build up. Definitely a summer brew.
T - Carbonation and wheat flavors hit the palate first, followed by a refreshing taste of orange peel and citrus that is well balanced.
M - Lots of carbonation a bit of hops, but a generally refreshing feel, I could see me drinking this one on a 90˚ day this summer.
D - I feel that this is one of the better seasonal summer brews, and would recommend everyone to try. (827 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -5.7%

Served on tap from Mr. B's in Rochester

Appearance is a pale golden color lots of carbonation and a whisp of pale white head

Smells of orange citrus abound citrus hops all over the nose

Tastes of orange lemon zest and biscuits

Mouthfeel is light bodied with a nice clean finish

Overall I finally got around to a formal review after thousands of servings over the past ten years my spring time staple extremely drinkable a go to around the BBQ pit and just about any other activity outside in the spring/early summer. (522 characters)

Bell's Oberon Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.