Bell's Oberon Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Oberon AleBell's Oberon Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002

Bell's Oberon is a wheat ale fermented with Bell's signature house ale yeast, mixing a spicy hop character with mildly fruity aromas. The addition of wheat malt lends a smooth mouthfeel, making it a classic summer beer.
Reviews: 1,650 | Hads: 6,137
3.08/5  rDev -20%

I've been wanting to try this beer for a while now. Figured I pick one up before the end of summer. Got a mixed 6 pack from the local store.

Served from the bottle in a snifter glass. About a 1 inch head the quickly dissipates. Little lacing around the glass as it goes down.

Smell is somewhat pale fruit as well as the taste. I smell a bit of orange peel. The after taste is pretty good. Also a yeasty taste, as this beer is unfiltered. Did the light test and can see all those yeasties floating around. I don't mind!

This is a very drinkable beer. I will definitely pick this up again (591 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +22.6%

As stated on the label... the color and scent of a summer afternoon. This beer is a great warm weather companion that will not only "quench" a thirst but also leave the imbiber wanting more!

A= A rich amber color with requisite cloudiness. Upon glass entry, a reasonable head and resulting lace as consumption ensued.

S= Definate light fruit with a hint of sweet wheat.

T= Smooth and quenching with an off-dry finish.

M= 30% weight to viscosity ratio. Chewy.

D= "Session" ready .

Pairing suggestion: Puffed rice encrusted talapia with mango chutney. (555 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +12.5%

I love this beer. I have had it on draft at Buffalo Wild Wings, and shortly after, out of a bottle into a glass.

The beer is a good spicy wheat ale, and tastes like summer. It has an orange glow, and goes down smoothly.

Want an orange? Throw one in. This beer drinks no differently than Blue Moon or Shock Top, however, it's better and has an even higher ABV% content!

Try it today! (385 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Nothing special for a wheat ale. Yellow in color, head was quick to recede.

S: Again, nothing too special. Pleasant, with citrus and wheat.

T: Very smooth beer, very nice wheat flavor, with subtle flavors including citrus.

M: Light and carbonated, the way I generally like it.

D: Very good beer to relax and enjoy on a warm day. A good all-around easy drinking beer, and one of the best wheat beers I've had. (416 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +1.8%

Tasting a summer beer on a cold windy spring day is not ideal but at least it's fresh. I'm not a huge fan of wheat beers, but this one I really like. It pours a lovely golden color leaving a two finger head that quickly dissipates. The smell is surprisingly intense and reminds me of lagers my dad drank.

The mouthfeel is full and satisfying. The taste is a lively spritzer of apples and cherries. The carbonation is intense and really assaults the back and sides of the tongue.

How I wish this were a hot summer day because this would be one helluva thirst quencher after a long hot round of disc golf.

Oberon, King of the Fairies and Wheat Beers, thine beer is most quaffable and thine humble bottle cap most colorful. (725 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured into pint glass

S- Herbal, citrus

A- 1 finger head, pale amber color, low carbonation, cloudy, looks dull/flat. Good lacing.

T- Slightly citrusy, wheaty with hints of yeast

M- Medium, smooth carbonation, tastes..juicy

O- Complex, can't taste alcohol (261 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +2.6%

A: amber to orange in color with a bright white head 1/2 in. thick. spotty lacing and good head retention.

S: citrus and wheat. small hop character.

T: oranges and wheat with some malty sweetness. little noble hop flavor

M: light in mouth with moderate carbonation. goes down very easy

O: staple summer beer better this year than last. (339 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Very similar to a sunrise yellow and very opaque and cloudy. There was a little head that remained for most of the drink.

Smell: Faint orange and not much else.

Taste: Nice wheat backbone with a definite orange flavor that is isn’t overpowering.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation is just right and makes the beer very unique. It is a little high compared to most beers; the finish is smooth with a faint orange after taste.

Drinkability: Very drinkable and refreshing. This is a great dinner beer would compliment salads, chicken, and fresh fruit very nicely. It also does just find by itself. (611 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

When poured it had a large head was light and foamy leaving decent lacing. The color is a golden and cloudy. Can smell wheat, yeast and citrus and small amount of floral hops. Has a wheat and orange peel flavor with some floral hop that gives it a little zip. A light and crisp beer that I could see myself sitting by a campfire with on a warm summer night. (357 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -0.5%

I had a very nice night at work and came home to discover my husband had stocked the fridge with Oberon...ain't love grand!
Poured a bottle into a big Duvel tulip. I didn't get much head, but may have been too cautious in my pour. A pretty, warm, hazy orangey color. Some sediment swirling about. Wheaty, citrusy smell. The same wheat and citrus in the taste, as well as a little malty sweetness, followed by a little tangyness after the swallow. Nice and crisp. After a few sips I can pick out more maltiness in the smell. Not too much effervescence in the feel. Light on the tongue. Very drinkable. Nothing too complex, but I think that's how it's supposed to be. Gosh darn it, I like it! (690 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +6.2%

Had a bottle of this given to me by a distributor at work. I had bought one a week before the new release so I know it was about a year old, it tasted horrible, the beer had definitely gone bad. I figured I would give the fresh one a shot, glad I did.

A - Exactly what I like to see, cloudy golden and bottle conditioned goodness.
S - The smell isn't exactly pleasing at first then the orange peel, and wheat flavors build up. Definitely a summer brew.
T - Carbonation and wheat flavors hit the palate first, followed by a refreshing taste of orange peel and citrus that is well balanced.
M - Lots of carbonation a bit of hops, but a generally refreshing feel, I could see me drinking this one on a 90˚ day this summer.
D - I feel that this is one of the better seasonal summer brews, and would recommend everyone to try. (827 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -5.7%

Served on tap from Mr. B's in Rochester

Appearance is a pale golden color lots of carbonation and a whisp of pale white head

Smells of orange citrus abound citrus hops all over the nose

Tastes of orange lemon zest and biscuits

Mouthfeel is light bodied with a nice clean finish

Overall I finally got around to a formal review after thousands of servings over the past ten years my spring time staple extremely drinkable a go to around the BBQ pit and just about any other activity outside in the spring/early summer. (522 characters)

This is probably my most favorite "summer" beer. I love the sweet smell and over soft mouthfeel of this brew.

Lemony, Citrus on the light side but a bit more tart towards the end of the drink which is what I like in my Wheat style ales.

I convinced a friend of mine to give this a try and he said it was definitely on his "to buy" list next time he hits the liquor store, and this is coming from a very picky drinker.

Overall a very drinkable summer beer and it pair well with all the good summer fare to be had. :) (522 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +14.3%

This beer is a gold-yellow color with a great smell of summer and fruits such as grape. The taste was refreshing and light with a hint of citrus. Overall a great beer. I would definitely try it again. (200 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +2.3%

Received from roadhouse in a trade. Thanks!

Batch 8667

A: Poured from the bottle a hazy orange with about a finger's worth of head. Head is still present after a drinking half a bottle

S: Aroma is faint, may be due to the age. Slightly fruity. Wheat and citrus are present.

T: Bread dough, and lemon with a nice malty back bone. Flavors finish out slightly bitter.

M: Coats the tongue nicely as the carbonation fights it away. A bitterness lingers, but only causes one to want another drink.

D/O: Wish I could get this fresh and during the summer. A great beer to have for the warm months and a nice take on the American Wheat style. (642 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +14.8%

This beer is reminiscent of another Bell's beer, the great Two Hearted Ale, but the Oberon is a wheat ale. It's also not as strong as the Two Hearted Ale but Oberon still packs a 5.8% punch, although it doesn't taste it. Nice color (although a beer's color has never really mattered to me - give me the taste!) with a pleasant fruit aroma which is also not that strong or overwhelming. Highly recommend you give this one a try especially if you like Summer ales. (462 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +7.8%

Very nice wheat ale for the summer. Taste permates well but slightly overcarbonated but nice robust malt taste. Got it at Pelly's Liquors in Lakeview neighborhood in Chicago, IL, which also has a bunch of good beers including Great lakes burning ale (249 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Beer pours an apricot color with modest head retention. A good bit of spent yeast in the bottle. Citrusy nose with a hint of grapefruit. This beer as not as sweet or orangy as a lot of other wheat beers. I actually think its taste is similar to Bass Ale of all things. This beer from Bells is not even in the same league as two hearted ale. I was disappointed in this one. (372 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Oberon... the taste of summer here in Michigan!

Had this on tap and in the bottle many times, pours a nice hazy golden orange color. Tastes like a citrusy wheat beer, perfectly refreshing. My favorite beer in the wheat category. Often served with an orange however I prefer a lemon to swipe around the rim prior to each sip to provide a little sour with the citrusy sweet wheat. Delicious! (390 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -5.2%

A- Light color, barely any head.
S-Smells like summer! Summer fruits/light bread.
T-Wheaty/bready, notes of citrus fruits, particularly orange and lemon.
M- Very light and refreshing.
O- It was quickly compared to Blue Moon by my peers. I found it a bit more pleasing, more flavorful. A great "day at the lake" beer. (316 characters)

Oberon is a beer from Bell's Brewery

This is one of my all time favorites! As a little kid I remember my friend's dad always drinking Oberon, and was determined to try one once I came of age. I was not disappointed! Oberon Day in March is the beginning of summer for Michigander's, and for good reason.

The beer pours orange and cloudy with a medium sized head. The smell is of oranges, wheat, and cloves. Oberon is a wheat beer, and wheat is known to give some beers a cloves taste. A smooth well balanced beer, and tastes like it smells. One can put in an orange as a garnish, however I prefer to drink it as is. Very smooth and crisp finish.

Drinkability: Perfect for a warm sunny day, there isn't many more refreshing beers for the summer. I could easily drink more than one of these as it is quite drinkable. For those outside of Michigan who have never tried it, I highly recommend it! (894 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +0.8%

Ah....It's Summer and the Oberon is back! In my opinion a great Wheat Ale. The Beer pours hazy orange with a one to two finger head that dissolves quickly. The aroma is a slight citrus, not overpowering. The taste is where this Beer makes it's stand. Smooth and citrusy with a hint of Hops to clean things up and knock the edge off of the sweetness. Mouthfeel is light, clean and crisp. Drinkability is good and really hits the spot on a hot Summer day. It makes one happy to reside in Bell's backyard. (502 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Poor Phil's.

So happy Bell's is back in Illinois! This is the beer that made me fall in love with Bell's. Okay, let's go...

Appearance: Not very cloudy, not much head. By the time I got my glass it was mostly lace.

Smell: To be honest, I'm not getting much of anything off this. Nothing bad, though.

Taste: Ahh, this is why we drink it, isn't it? Lovely. Wheat beer taste, a little sweet but not too much.

Mouthfeel: Fizzy, light. Great summer beer.

Drinkability: Yes, yes, a thousand times, yes. Hot day, glass of Oberon? Yes yes yes. Seriously, though, it's quite drinkable, almost sessionable. (613 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +24.7%

I purchased a 6-pack of Oberon from my local Michigan beer store in May. This is Batch #8397.

The appearance is excellent with a wonderful golden hazy color.

The smell is wonderfully clean with a Witbier profile. It's taste is fantastically clean with a corriander mouthfeel.

Being 5.8% alcohol by volume it's definitely not a session beer. (343 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +21.6%

First Oberon ever for me. Bought at Friar Tucks in Crestwood, MO. 7.99/6pk!

Poured into a pint glass.

A-Beautiful light orange. Truly looks like summer in a glass as they describe it.

S- Actually oddly sweet on the nose. Some orange, maybe some kind of spice.

T-Really pleasing. The spice is there, great backbone of malt and sweetness. Just kills any wheat beers I have had.

D-Fantastic. I cant wait until the weather heats up a bit so I can cool down with this. I feel like I could drink this from the bottle too and still enjoy it if I am at a park or something. Lived up to the hype for me. (600 characters)

Bell's Oberon Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.