Bell's Oberon Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Oberon AleBell's Oberon Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002

Bell's Oberon is a wheat ale fermented with Bell's signature house ale yeast, mixing a spicy hop character with mildly fruity aromas. The addition of wheat malt lends a smooth mouthfeel, making it a classic summer beer.
Ratings: 6,049 | Reviews: 1,719
3.85/5  rDev +1%

A: Two fingers of fluffy off-white head that falls to a film of bubbles and leaves nice lacing, color is yellow-orange and hazy.

S: Nice subtle breadiness, light vanilla and floral hops.

T: Smooth, mild, vanilla and caramel, nice hope flavor and bitterness to balance.

M: Smooth medium carbonation and creamy.

O: Very nice, smooth, quite a tasty brew.

3.65/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into pint glass

A - golden pour with a medium/small white head, hazy yellowish with

S - tangy orange, pears, grapes, tons of hops, lemons, and some orange peel?

T - cereal, some hints of earthyness yeast and wheat, nice touch of citrus. definitely get hints of the wheat/tart/sour notes

M - sour yet refreshing wheat ale, nice notes of fruity and earthy combinations. Very enjoyable brew

3.79/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Somewhat hazy, golden-yellowish color, with a decent size white head.

Smell: Hint of citrus, but mainly a strong smell of wheat.

Taste: Citrusy, good balance, refreshing and somewhat wheat-y.

Overall: Very delicious! perfect for the warmer weather coming soon

Mouthfeel: Creamy, and somewhat light.

Serving Style: Bottle

3.58/5  rDev -6%

Probably one of the best wheat beers I've had.

3.4/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Another summer beer with citrus notes and not overpowering flavor. Cloudy yellow look

4.66/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great summer drink with light fruity aroma and taste. An easy drink that has a mild enjoyable flavor.

3.83/5  rDev +0.5%

A - Poured from a 12 oz. bottle. A cloudy light golden color with about 2 fingers of dense white foam. Head slowly faded, but left plenty of lacing.

S - Could smell the hops through the wheat, although the overall smell of the beer was generally weak, making undertones harder to pick out.

T - Taste was very well balanced. The hops, while providing a substantial backing to the wheat flavor, stayed well in their place. Some nice undertones, maybe citrus. Very nice.

M - Good body, a little heavy on the carbonation. Has a bit of a carbonation bite at the end.

D - Very drinkable. A good conversation beer.

Ok, here's the wheat beer that I really enjoy. One of the few exceptions to the strict 'no-wheat' policy
that I have. I regularly purchase 3 cases or more each year. I'm into 'local' beers and Bell's makes some
of the best around. This is a great lighter beer alternative to my steady diet of IPAs and double IPAs
Don't stockpile this, get some fresh or on tap.
I have tried most of the other AWPA's listed on the right side of the page, and disliked them! I'm willing
to try wheaties, just don't like 'em. I'm a big fan of both Southern Tier and Boulevard, but their wheat
beers still suck.

3.88/5  rDev +1.8%

This is a great summer ale. Has a nice hazy yellowish-golden color. You can taste the citrus flavors. If you want a real treat, put a slice of orange in your beer. Great light beer for people who don't want something too heavy.

Overall it is my favorite summer beer.

4.06/5  rDev +6.6%

Visual: Pours a cloudy straw color.
Smell: A very powerful fruity smell of lemons and oranges. Smell of wheat.
Taste: Strong taste of oranges. Light spicy notes such as black pepper.
Overall: A good summer beer. Slightly overrated for all the attention it receives.

3.84/5  rDev +0.8%

Great beer. Wish I could get more. Good drinker.

3.49/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Look: Pale golden yellow/orange
Smell: strong citrus and fruity
Taste: orange and mild spice and hop
Overall: I enjoyed how refreshing and crisp the beer is and my pallet liked the fruit/citrus flavors

4.05/5  rDev +6.3%

Appearance: Pours a nice cloudy gold with a foamy head that drops down to just some lacing.

Smell: Some citrus and flowery hop aromas come out, but nothing overpowering.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Tastes good, some citrus flavors, nice carbonation gives it a refreshing crisp taste initially and on the finish. Light bodied excellent summer beer.

Notes: I think I'd rather have two hearted ale, but its another solid beer from bell's.

4.6/5  rDev +20.7%

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A: Pours a pale gold color with about a finger of white creamy head and it is very cloudy. (Note: I pour the floaties in so this is part of the cloudiness. Another Note: I am not downgrading the score due to cloudiness/floaties because it does tell you to decant, but I like them!)

S: Smells very fruity and bready, not much else to say, has a good nose to it.

T: Strong flavors of wheat hit the palette. Following this is a nice perfectly crisp citrus hops to balance the flavor. I also get a nice yeasty taste from the floaties.

Overall: This is one of my favorite beers. It is immediately replaced whenever I run out. I love the balance and flavors in this beer on a summer day. I squealed in enjoyment when I saw the sticker at the liquor store saying it was back, and I don't squeal often. Perfect outdoor beer (which is why I almost always pick up a pitcher when at the UW Terrace). If you haven't had this beer yet, GET IT!

2.94/5  rDev -22.8%

I've had a lot of Oberon over the years, and I think the 2010 batch is the best I've had, but I'm still pretty indifferent to the beer overall. It's nice because it's release typically marks the beginning of summer, but I find it to be highly overrated. I like many of Bell's products, but I'm not much of an Oberon fan.

A- If there's one thing I do like about Oberon, it's its appearance. It is a very pretty golden and orange beer, a little cloudy. Makes for a good beer to have your picture taken next to by the pool. (I also really dig the label design on the bottle and this year's Dali-themed mini kegs, but that doesn't really count for beer appearance)

S- To me, Oberon's downfall is its smell. I also expect more of a citrusy and crisp nose but every Oberon that I've ever been around has had an unappealing yeasty smell, reminiscent of a college apartment the morning after a kegger.

T- Average summer beer taste-- some honey, orange and citrus. Yeast flavor is also very apparent. I typically don't like to put fruit in my beer, but Oberon is best served with a slice of orange. This makes it above average but I can give the beer by itself only an average rating.

M- Nothing special.

D- Bit of a heavier beer, but also can be more refreshing that others. The drinkability can really depend on what you're doing and what time of year it is: it is highly drinkable outside in the warm sun while you watch the sweat bead down the glass, but not so much in fall when you're inside and the batch has gotten older.

3.95/5  rDev +3.7%

A - Pours a lovely golden color with a generous head, slightly hazy in the glass.

S - Like the bottle says, it smells like a summer days. A fruity scent is balanced with sweet and citrus notes.

T - A refreshing fruity beer with a hint of spice to it. A classic belgian wheat with a twist. Finishes sweet and delicious.

M - Creamy and just the right amount of carbonation. It's great when it's 90 degrees out.

O - A fantastic summer beer that I wouldn't mind enjoying all year round.

2.83/5  rDev -25.7%

Love wheat beer. This one fell short for me. Tasted more like flat beer than wheat beer.

4.88/5  rDev +28.1%

3rd year in a row as my favorite spring-summer brew. I've sampled it every which way you can.
Orange gold. When poured in to an oversized pint glass look for a nice haze of yeast. 2 - 3"'s of beautiful creamy head that takes a little while to subside (usually can’t wait). The nose is not particularly fruity or citrusy, a touch of spice & flowers without the perfume. Very, very smooth, creamy, dry & quenching. Extremely easy to drink (too easy @ 6% ABV) the yeast is perfect with just a smidgeon of sediment left at the bottom of the glass, perfect for the next pour.

I purchased a case of this on sale at Westy's (Camp Hill, PA) for $27 to take to a Labor Day picnic.

I tried one this afternoon and I thought it was pretty good - easy drinking and tasty with no real aftertaste. I had some "everything" sourdough pretzels with it and they were a perfect accompaniment.

4.3/5  rDev +12.9%

While I do love this beer, part of it comes from spending way too much time in Bell's in my youth, enough so that I still want to call this beer Solsun (the original name, long story). Anyways...a great, refreshing beer, very cloudy when poured in a glass, while I generally avoid mixing my fruit and beer, an orange slice does add a nice touch to this. Great beer year around and very happy to have it now in Florida.

4.3/5  rDev +12.9%

I first had Oberon in May as part of a beer dinner at the Porter Beer Bar in Atlanta. I was not expecting much, wheat beers (or ales) not being my "thing". Man, was I surprised. Poured on tap into a pint glass, this beer is a cloudy pale orange - really quite lovely in its own right. The aroma was somewhat fruity, but not hoppy. I didn't spend too much time on admiring it, however, and tasted it - wow, talk about being blown away. This beer is simply so much more full flavored than any other wheat beer I've tasted, and perfectly balanced. Just when you think it might start to be a bit cloying, the bitterness kicks in and vice versa - a very "clean" tasting beer. I liked it so much I pretty much finished the pint before the actual appetizer course was served (Molly at the Porter was kind enough to "top off" my glass when it was). On top of all this, my wife, who is NOT a big beer drinker, truly loved it - the first time I've known her to really LOVE a beer. Since the dinner, I've purchased this in a six pack. While not quite as tasty as on draught, still a wonderful and refreshing beer to have at home.

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

A-bottle into snifter, cloudy straw with thin white head

S-sweet citrus, a little bit of lemon

T-wheat and citrus. Nothing overpowering.

M-very light and smooth, although a fair amount of carbonation.

O-like the label says, a perfect beer for summer. Refreshing and flavorful without being heavy.

3.88/5  rDev +1.8%

this beer poured with great color and a good amount of head. it's a pale golden yellow with yeast and particles still floating around as you drink. the smell, when first poured, was overwhelmed by yeast; however it soon mellowed out. The taste is malty and caramely with a slight hop finish. goes downed very smooth and is very drinkable. this is a very great beer.

4.3/5  rDev +12.9%

Pours a clear yellowish orange color with a small white head that gathers around the edges. Wheat and spicy notes in the aroma; a touch of lemon. The palate is light and refreshing, smooth on the tongue and lightly carbonated; not a bad finish. Good balance between sweetness in the malt and some dry spice and floral flavors. A little citrus in the flavor as well. Overall, refreshing and satisfying. Attention-grabbing for an American Wheat beer.

4.61/5  rDev +21%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I love this beer for the summertime. It has a bright dark golden hue along with a lively mouthfeel. It is great for the summertime because it has a very crisp and citrusy flavor. It has a slight finish of yeast and hops. I think that a Oberon is similar to my favorite beer, Blue Moon. Finish the beer off with a slice of orange makes it a perfect beer for a summer day.

Bell's Oberon Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.