Bear Hug - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bear Hug

to view more.
Ratings: 60 | Reviews: 6
Reviews by JDizzle:
3.77/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Draft from Local Option

A: Dark brown/black, slightly transparent. One inch mocha head dissipates quickly.

S: Roast, caramel, bitter hops

T: Caramel, roast, coffee bitter hops, sweet malt finish, coffee aftertaste.

M: Light, on par for the ABV

O: Good in between stout, better than most stouts, not as good as most RIS's though.

Had on 12/13/14 at Bell's on tap, it was pretty good... didn't wow me in any way.

4.23/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Local Option. Pitch black color with light lacing. Aroma is subdued chocolate and roasted malts. Opened up as it warmed. Great mouthfeel and overall, a very solid stout from Bell's.

4.07/5  rDev +2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Got to head to Bell's today for the first time (sad given the fact we live about 45 minutes north). I'm guessing this isn't a very highly produced beer, as I'd never heard of it before today. That being said, I'm a big fan of Imperial Stouts, and this one didn't disappoint. The ABV was a little more tame than what I'm used to seeing with Imperial Stouts (see Bell's Expedition), and the beer appeared to pour a little thinner/lighter than Expedition. I could smell coffee, as well as some caramel when putting the snifter up to my nose.

The taste of this was much more mild than I was expecting out of this type of beer, but I liked that. I had to pace myself on the consumption of this beer as it was that smooth. I got a little bit of coffee, a little bit of caramel, with a very mild coffee finish. Another solid offering by Bell's, and I'm glad I got an opportunity to check out the Eccentric Cafe today.

FWIW, based on what I've had from Bell's thus far, I'd rate their Imperial Stouts as #1 Black Note #2 Expedition and #3 Bear Hug. I'd definitely drink this one again if given the opportunity.

3.76/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Draft at Bells. Pours black with thick tan head. Aroma is coffee, chocolate. Taste is sweet, roasted malt, coffee, strong chocolate notes, hop bitterness. Not as balanced as the Expedition stout but a strong showing from Bells. Will come back for this one.

4.33/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Very smooth! Would drink again.

to view more.
Bear Hug from Bell's Brewery, Inc.