Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Bear Hug | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

YOUR RATING = None |

Added by Zaphog on 01-07-2014

Reviews: 8 | Ratings: 100
3.8/5  rDev -4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

On tap. Look is jet black, but not as thick as some RISs. Smell is bright hops and some toasty malt. Taste is rather hop forward too, with malt coming late. They could bill this as black IPA and I'd be ok with the label. Feel is thin, again more black IPA less stout. Overall a fine beer for a one off, but nothing amazing

4.09/5  rDev +3.3%

Pitch black appearance with good carbonation. Floral hop forward aroma along with chocolate. Tastes are pretty similar with a nice palate that mixes the hop and malt well. Overall a good stout but not as good as bell's other offerings like expedition or 30th anniversary

3.95/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Love the nose, but the flavors don't really come through enough for me to be completely blown away. Overall, a well done, semi-sweet stout from a brewery that does a lot of them

4.02/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz pour at Whole Foods Columbus Circle. Dark brown with rich ruby highlights. Slight cream colored head with good retention. Aroma is generous roast and touch of sweet malt. Not a huge aroma, but good.

Taste is roasty, but slightly bittered. An astringent, tanic bitterness, not a hop bitterness. Closer to slightly over brewed coffee. It's rich and dark, but just slightly too bitter. Mouthfeel is middle of the road for a rich stout.

Overall not a bad stout, but seems rough around the edges.

4.07/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Got to head to Bell's today for the first time (sad given the fact we live about 45 minutes north). I'm guessing this isn't a very highly produced beer, as I'd never heard of it before today. That being said, I'm a big fan of Imperial Stouts, and this one didn't disappoint. The ABV was a little more tame than what I'm used to seeing with Imperial Stouts (see Bell's Expedition), and the beer appeared to pour a little thinner/lighter than Expedition. I could smell coffee, as well as some caramel when putting the snifter up to my nose.

The taste of this was much more mild than I was expecting out of this type of beer, but I liked that. I had to pace myself on the consumption of this beer as it was that smooth. I got a little bit of coffee, a little bit of caramel, with a very mild coffee finish. Another solid offering by Bell's, and I'm glad I got an opportunity to check out the Eccentric Cafe today.

FWIW, based on what I've had from Bell's thus far, I'd rate their Imperial Stouts as #1 Black Note #2 Expedition and #3 Bear Hug. I'd definitely drink this one again if given the opportunity.

3.77/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Draft from Local Option

A: Dark brown/black, slightly transparent. One inch mocha head dissipates quickly.

S: Roast, caramel, bitter hops

T: Caramel, roast, coffee bitter hops, sweet malt finish, coffee aftertaste.

M: Light, on par for the ABV

O: Good in between stout, better than most stouts, not as good as most RIS's though.

4.23/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Local Option. Pitch black color with light lacing. Aroma is subdued chocolate and roasted malts. Opened up as it warmed. Great mouthfeel and overall, a very solid stout from Bell's.

3.76/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Draft at Bells. Pours black with thick tan head. Aroma is coffee, chocolate. Taste is sweet, roasted malt, coffee, strong chocolate notes, hop bitterness. Not as balanced as the Expedition stout but a strong showing from Bells. Will come back for this one.

Bear Hug from Bell's Brewery, Inc.
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.