Bell's Kalamazoo Stout - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Kalamazoo StoutBell's Kalamazoo Stout

good

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Stout |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-11-2001

Stout brewed with Brewer's Licorice.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bell's Kalamazoo Stout Alström Bros

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

Serving: Bottle into tulip
Served: 1 July 2013

Appearance: Nice and dark with a good 1.5 finger head that slowly dissipates into a thin cooked-marshmallow brown ring around the edge. Some lacing.

Smell: Smells dark and roasty, a little smokey. Smells like a roasty stout.

Taste: Really nice and dark. Tastes really roasty with just the ever slightest hint of licorice. Of course, this bottle is 3mo old, so the licorice flavor has probably dissipated to some extent, but the amount that is still in there is great. You can just barely taste it on the far back of your tongue that really compliments the roasted malts.

Mouthfeel: Feels nice and smooth on the tongue. Wonderfully carbonated. Leaves a bit of roastiness on the tongue that gives it that distinctive stouty "chewiness".

Overall: A really great beer. The faint licorice flavors really compliment the roastiness of the malts. It's a fantastic combination, especially when you consider other adjuncts thrown into stouts (e.g. coffee, chocolate). I would love to taste a more heavy licorice flavor. I like black licorice, so the subtlety of the flavor makes an impact, but I would love to see it be a little more assertive.

2.18/5  rDev -45.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

I did not notice this said "Licorice" on it until I had already taken a sip. So that was my fault for not reading the label I suppose.

Either way, I could not finish this six pack in three weeks.. I forced myself to finish the first bottle, the next day forced down another. The third day I drank half a bottle and then decided I had had enough torturing myself. I poured the remainder of the bottle I was drinking down the sink, left two at work where they disappeared. The last one is still sitting in the back of my fridge months later. I know one day I'll get desperate enough to try it again, perhaps I will find something in it I didn't before. But I'm scared.

It tastes like licorice dissolved in beer. If I liked licorice, I'm sure this would be very good. But I HATE licorice.

Again, I really fault myself rather than the beer, but honestly, I hated this beer.

I bought it because I like Bell's. Their double cream, and dopplebock are in my top ten beers, the expedition stout almost makes the top ten. But Kalamazoo Stout is my least favorite beer of all time, and Bell's Oberon is my second least favorite.

I really appreciate that Bell's has such variety and strong tastes, but that necessarily means that you're not going to like some of it.

4.31/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bells : Kalamazoo Stout

Appearance: Dark brown, pretty much black colored beer. Opaque but no sediment. Brown head forms and leaves some lace on the glass. Looks like a stout for sure.

Smell: Chocolate, charcoal, roasted malt, tobacco, and molasses. Appealing to the nose, this beer is on par with other good examples of the style with a strong aroma.

Taste: Big flavor of chocolate and black patent roasted malts. Chocolatey, hint if vanilla, molasses, iced coffee. Somewhat sweet flavor upfront but there are layers. Really nice flavors in this stout. Richly malty, but with enough sustaining bitterness to balance.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied ale that is as tasters say, chewy. This stout leaves quite a roasted malt impression on the palate. Well carbonated, fairly smooth and even between sweet, smokey and roasted.

Overall: One of the best American Stouts out there, period. This is definitely under rated, if given the time and opportunity I can drink these all day. Kalamazoo Stout can hold up well to an oily cigar.

4.22/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Another brew I've had many many times and I felt deserved a review

12 oz brown bottle with a nice looking label. Very Bell's in style. Poured into a Bell's pint glass.

A - nearly black to the darkest of dark browns. Head poured well and had some size. Head was more of a light tan color with a soap like texture. Lacing was nice and has some stick.

S - big chocolate and some coffee up front. Roasted coffee bean freshly ground. Excellent dark malt with some sweetness to it. Some smokiness and Licorice is detected in the back end of the aroma.

T - roasted and bitter black coffee with a good portion of chocolate. Smokey woodiness with some malts that dip toward the sweet end. Milky lactose sugar like. Black licorice in the background rounds out an overall excellent flavor with a lovely bittersweet finish.

M - medium bodied and somewhat thin mouthfeel compared to some I've had from Bell's. it did have some texture though and enough to make it an excellent session stout. It's a good intro into the world of stouts and is very drinkable/enjoyable.

O - For me Kalamazoo Stout is a year round Stout the craft brew lover can enjoy any time and enjoy multiple without the sloppiness. It packs all the flavors a good stout should all while remaining an easy offering. I recommend this to anyone who enjoys stouts as this is one of the best American stouts anyone in the world has to offer.

3.5/5  rDev -12.1%

Bell's Kalamazoo Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.