Bell's Kalamazoo Stout - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Kalamazoo StoutBell's Kalamazoo Stout

good

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Stout |  6.00% ABV

Stout brewed with Brewer's Licorice.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bell's Kalamazoo Stout Alström Bros

Batch # 10363. 12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Pours pitch black with barely any light getting through, small mocha head with decent lacing. Smells great with tons of smoke. That's the main element I'm picking up. Very roasty. Lots of milk chocolate as well. I'm picking all of that up in the flavors as well. I'm picking up some tobacco and black licorice as well. Thankfully the licorice isn't overpowering and blended very well with everything else going on. This one's more on the bitter side; not that sweet. Keyword is roasty. This one has a really nice mouthfeel, thick but not chewy, spritzy carbonation. Medium-light bodied. This is an easy drinking stout, but somewhat one note, which wouldn't have me drinking more than one. I'd still easily recommend this though.

Very straight forward, nothing unique, but very enjoyable. Good stuff from Bell's.

3.9/5  rDev -2%

Pours black with a thin beige head. The nose is mildly chocolatey. I don't smell any of the brewers licorice. This seems like a straightforward stout so far.

The taste has bitter coffee up front followed by some hints of cocoa on the finish. I didn't detect any of the licorice until I burped.

I was lukewarm on this beer at first but I find myself liking it more with each sip. It's flavorful and balanced. I wouldn't mind it if they cranked up the licorice, though!

4.03/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours straight black with one finger of dark brown head. Lots of nice roasty, chocolatey notes on the nose. It also has an underlying complexity that I am interpreting as the licorice that the label says is in there. Just a touch boozy, estery on the nose. Taste is more of the same, really full bodied roasted stout. Good complexity but also very easy drinking. Overall a really nice brew, just wish they distributed to my area.

3.75/5  rDev -5.8%

4.33/5  rDev +8.8%

Great beer. Fantastic everyday stout especially since the weather has started to turn cold.

It's got that 30HD motor oil color and pored beautifully into the glass. Great head retention and mild lacing.

Great smokey, coffee boozy smell that beckons you to try it.

Fantastic chocolate malt notes with enough hops to balance it out. Great earthy aftertaste that begs you to keep drinking.

Solid and full on the palate really great coffee notes

Overall an absolutely fantastic stout. Big fan of Bells and most of their brews and this one does not disappoint.

3.25/5  rDev -18.3%

3.68/5  rDev -7.5%

Was at Bell's recently when they had 10 or so stouts on tap. I brought back a mixed six pack of mixed brews and this was one of them. The K-Zoo stout pours deep deep black with a caramel head. It smells sweeter than the tongue. It reminds me of baking brownies. Chocolate, a mild earthiness, and malt. I know the bottle says brewed with licorice but I smell berries. Could just be the cold I'm dealing with. Good smelling beer but not my favorite smelling stout out there.

Taste also was good but not great. Chocolate, malt, very mild bitterness, maybe from the licorice, which is mildly noticeable. Some toasted notes as well, I would almost call it smokey on the finish but toasty might be the better descriptor.

Overall a good beer. It feels a little lighter bodied out of the bottle than what I remember out of the tap but still robust and filling. Good way to start my day.

Bell's Kalamazoo Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.