Bell's Kalamazoo Stout - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Kalamazoo StoutBell's Kalamazoo Stout

good

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Stout |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-11-2001

Stout brewed with Brewer's Licorice.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bell's Kalamazoo Stout Alström Bros

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

3.56/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a Burley Oak snifter (bottled on 3/11/13)

A: Pitch black with a slightly mocha-colored head that is minimal and with almost no lacing.

S: Sweet, roasted malts and an interesting licorice-type flavor.

T: Dry, just like their Porter I just had. Mainly roasty flavors with a bit of day old filtered black coffee in their for some bitterness.

M: Very smooth with just a small steady stream of bubbles that provide a bit of texture.

O: Their Porter and Stout aren't making me too excited for their much lauded Expedition Stout. Too dry and without prominent flavors for me.

3.68/5  rDev -7.5%

A - Pours a beautiful dark chocolate with a darker tan 1 finger head with very nice retention

S - Huge aromas of chocolate and roasted coffee. Nice caramelly background as well. My only complaint would be I did not detect any aromas of Licorce as advertised on the label. Very nice smelling beer otherwise!

T - Not nearly as sweet as I anticipate! Nice smoke flavor that I did not pick up on the aromas. Definately more roasted coffee and caramels tastes than chocolate, but a very nicely done stout. Still not picking up on the licorce though

M - Light to medium bodied stout Thinner than I anticpated and not as carbonated as I would like. Slick feelnig in the mouth

O - A very good solid stout. Nice smokey and roasted coffee flavors. With it being a lighter feeling stout, a person could easily have multiples.

4.25/5  rDev +6.8%

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

Serving: Bottle into tulip
Served: 1 July 2013

Appearance: Nice and dark with a good 1.5 finger head that slowly dissipates into a thin cooked-marshmallow brown ring around the edge. Some lacing.

Smell: Smells dark and roasty, a little smokey. Smells like a roasty stout.

Taste: Really nice and dark. Tastes really roasty with just the ever slightest hint of licorice. Of course, this bottle is 3mo old, so the licorice flavor has probably dissipated to some extent, but the amount that is still in there is great. You can just barely taste it on the far back of your tongue that really compliments the roasted malts.

Mouthfeel: Feels nice and smooth on the tongue. Wonderfully carbonated. Leaves a bit of roastiness on the tongue that gives it that distinctive stouty "chewiness".

Overall: A really great beer. The faint licorice flavors really compliment the roastiness of the malts. It's a fantastic combination, especially when you consider other adjuncts thrown into stouts (e.g. coffee, chocolate). I would love to taste a more heavy licorice flavor. I like black licorice, so the subtlety of the flavor makes an impact, but I would love to see it be a little more assertive.

2.09/5  rDev -47.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

I did not notice this said "Licorice" on it until I had already taken a sip. So that was my fault for not reading the label I suppose.

Either way, I could not finish this six pack in three weeks.. I forced myself to finish the first bottle, the next day forced down another. The third day I drank half a bottle and then decided I had had enough torturing myself. I poured the remainder of the bottle I was drinking down the sink, left two at work where they disappeared. The last one is still sitting in the back of my fridge months later. I know one day I'll get desperate enough to try it again, perhaps I will find something in it I didn't before. But I'm scared.

It tastes like licorice dissolved in beer. If I liked licorice, I'm sure this would be very good. But I HATE licorice.

Again, I really fault myself rather than the beer, but honestly, I hated this beer.

I bought it because I like Bell's. Their double cream, and dopplebock are in my top ten beers, the expedition stout almost makes the top ten. But Kalamazoo Stout is my least favorite beer of all time, and Bell's Oberon is my second least favorite.

I really appreciate that Bell's has such variety and strong tastes, but that necessarily means that you're not going to like some of it.

4.25/5  rDev +6.8%

Bell's Kalamazoo Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.