Bell's Pale Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Pale AleBell's Pale Ale

poor

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: SheepNutz on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bell's Pale Ale Alström Bros

1.5/5  rDev -56%

1.85/5  rDev -45.7%

Poured a yellow hue filled with hundreds of white specs. I'm not sure if this is a bottle conditioned beer, but even if it is the white specs suspended in the beer were not typical sediment found in bottle conditioned beers. Very little aroma other than skunk. Tastes very skunky with some hops flavor. Light mouthfeel, drinkable because its light, but not so much because it is skunked and generally not good.

1.9/5  rDev -44.3%

Poured from bottle, appearance is golden with small amount of white head. Sediment hangs throughout pour. Should there be sediment? and this much? Or did I get a bad bottle in my Pick Six?
Aroma is a lot of bread, some wheat, a little hop.
Taste is very lightly bitter and oily feeling.
Falls flat for a pale ale.

1.95/5  rDev -42.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Apperance- Has a light amber color to it and leaves little head

Smell- Grainy and some hops not much to this beer

Taste- Has a variety of tastes all into one, grains, spicy malts, and fruit doesn't taste well

Mouthfeel- Goes down smooth not much carbonation

Drinkability- Would not drink this again try it once and be done with it

1.98/5  rDev -41.9%

Chunky sediment remains suspended in the pour, creating what looks like a glass of sea monkeys.
Flavor quickly leaves my mouth, making me wonder what I just tasted.
Some hop taste but lacks sweetness.

Bought as a single bottle. No freshness date, but I think this was a left-over from long ago.

A= Straw yellow with a two finger head but it doesn't last and lacing is sparse

S= Not bad, smells like grassy herbs. No malt.

T= Too much like an IPA. Too bitter and not enough malt. Grapefruit bitter aftertaste

M= Awfully watery for an ale, feels more like a lager in the mouth

D=If you like watery grapefruit, it's ok

2.13/5  rDev -37.5%

batch 9162, brewed in june. Poured into a pint glass

a: blond/light amber color, foamy 1/2" head with fair retetnion

s: light camalized malt, slightly citrus. grain husk

t: This is a rough pale ale. Large amount of tannin that cut the palate. hops cut in with slight citrus and spice. Then more tannin arrive.

m&d: light to medium bodied, good carbonation. Drinkable

I will never drink this ever again. The grain tannins are heavy and cast all other flavors aside.

Cheers!!!

2.17/5  rDev -36.4%

I know it's frowned upon to have expectations going into reviewing a beer. However, I couldn't help but think that this beer would be a hoppy pale ale, especially coming from the brewers of Two Hearted and Hopslam. Boy, was I wrong.

Batch 9710. Pours a light amber hue with a bunch of small, floating pieces of sediment. Small head, average retention.

Aroma is pretty bland. Grainy, with the slightest touch of spicy hops.

Flavor is pretty close to awful. Just straight up bitter and astringent. Either this beer was scorched, or it's just husky and full of tannins. There is some malt sweetness and breadiness, but overall, it's quite off-putting. Bitter without any real hop flavor. At least the mouthfeel is decent and the carbonation isn't too high. Otherwise, this would be very close to a drain pour, which, for me, is saying a lot.

Bottom line: if you are looking for some sort of miniature version of Two Hearted, then look elsewhere. Bell's Pale Ale is shockingly bad.

2.2/5  rDev -35.5%

Geez, why did I buy a whole six pack of this before trying out one first!?!?

Bell's is so good with anything but pale ale it seems. I was disappointed with their Third Coast and I'm disappointed with this beer.

The beer pours with a short-lived head and so many yeasty floaties that at first I thought they were carbonation bubbles in the glass. The beer itself is a light brass.

I smell barnyard on the nose and some citric hops. I don't find barnyard offensive since I drink enought Cotes-du-Rhone to find it "interesting."

The taste is underwhelming with mostly an off-bitter component that fails to satisfy.

Mouthfeel is fine, nothing notable about it really.

I certainly won't be buying another one of these. This is better than, say, Coors, but that's about all the compliment I can give it.

2.23/5  rDev -34.6%

Appearance: Pours a pale golden color into snifter. Decent frothy head. Noticed lots of carbonation.

Smell: Not much picked up besides a faint maltiness from the grains. Very bland aromas. couldn't detect much of anything.

Taste: Bitter dry hop flavor. Not a whole lot flavors going on here which is rather disappointing for Bell's which produces some very good Ales (namely Two Hearted & Hopslam). So I was hoping for more flavor. Instead I tasted a very dry/heavy carbonated pale ale without much balance or flavor. Very earthy taste with no hint of fruit.

Mouthfeel: A rather boring pale Ale. The dryness really dominates this brew and lingers for a longtime on the tongue.

Drinkability: The brew is drinkable, but not very memorable. I would not seek this one out by any means. There are so many better APAs out there that are much more enjoyable. Thank goodness for mixed bottle 6-packs.

2.25/5  rDev -34%

2.25/5  rDev -34%

2.35/5  rDev -31.1%

This was my one disappointment last night @ Bell's. It poured a very light with no cloudiness. The smell was nearly non-existant. Then on to the flavor.... to my disappointment that was non-existant as well. Now I am a HUGE Pale Ale fan and this one definitely needs more flavor. This reminded me more of a summer ale or golden Ale, too mellow for a pale ale in my opinion. The mouthfeel was ok and its something I could drink a bunch of but for a pale ale it was lacking.

2.4/5  rDev -29.6%

I poured this one bottle into a pint glass. Looking at the beer in the glass I was pretty excited to take a huge slurp. A dull yellow color, it looks enticing and a little bit on the thick side, mostly because of the particles floating around. It is mostly opaque.

Sloshing the beer around and first drink, it becomes immediately apparent that the beauty of the beer itself does not make up enough for the undistinguished flavor. Most points on this one come from look and perceived texture, however there is a nice bite and it's definitely drinkable, just not for the price. I'll keep searching...

2.4/5  rDev -29.6%

This beer doesn't impress me. Poured 12 ounces into a frosted mug. 1/2 inch foam which lingers and leaves a little lace in its wake.

A yellow - gold unfiltered appearance looks delicious and a slightly grainy smell is appealing too...then, I drink...

Taste is extremely grainy. Too grainy for my taste. This beers goes down pretty well as it is lightly carbonated and somewhat refreshing, but the after taste is bitter, bitter, and more bitter.

This is my first Bell's brew and I was really looking forward to a delicious pale ale, but I am not impressed.

I wouldn't recommend this beer.

Bell's Pale Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.