Bell's Venus (The Bringer Of Peace) - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Venus (The Bringer Of Peace)Bell's Venus (The Bringer Of Peace)

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Blonde Ale |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: mothman on 06-27-2014)
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

3.44/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

A- 1-finger, off-white head drops to a light film. Golden-orange body is a little hazy at first. Moderate carbonation. It clears after sitting for a couple minutes.

S- Definte fruity aroma (I assume it's the apricot). Very much on the sweet side, like an herbal tea with a solid squeeze of honey. Not overly aromatic. Warmth amps up the scent and pulls out the vanilla.

T- Whoa! The apricot flavor is puckeringly tart. Honey sweetness tris to keep up, but is rather lost. Another sip and the tartness settles down a bit. Like the aroma, I get more with warmth (vanilla and a little black pepper).

M- Medium body and carbonation. Rather dry.

O- I don't know. At first I thought it was way too tart, and would be a chore to finish. Some warmth brings out complexity and makes for a more enjoyable beer. From a geeky standpoint, I'm glad I had it and can continue the "Planets" series. However, I wouldn't seek out any extras on this one.

3.8/5  rDev +18.8%

Hot on the heels of the "bringer of war" comes the peaceful second coming of Bell's planet series of ales which boasts a Belgian-esque undertow with fruit, spice and added sweetness added to the brew kettle for a comfortable and calming flavor and effect.

Its glowing body catches the eye with its peachy-golden gaze. Its supple veil of haze pushes a zesty white head upward to take on champagne-like appearances. With the bubbles popping with a sprite attitude, aromas leap out immediately with orange, apricot, mango and a spicy, earthy accompaniment.

Initial taste seems of candied fruit while a notion of honey, citrus, and leafy verbena is juicy with citrus but with a pleasant grassy taste. Considerably dry through the center, the piquant acidity of the beer is buffered with soft vanilla and cream. A peppery and herbaceous taste carries the taste into finish with the stemmy refreshment of sassafras tea.

Finishing with the unique taste of citrus but without its associated fructose, honey or candy sweetness, the ale seems to capture the taste of orange cream sickle but without much of its sweetness. Instead a vanilla softness soothes the senses while a peppermint bite returns in echoes.

2.75/5  rDev -14.1%

This one was quite bad. I applaud the experiment, but the acidity and tartness of the apricot juice overrides everything in the beer. I was looking forward to the vanilla and honey notes and couldn't do anything other than pucker. Disappointed by this iteration of the planet series after thoroughly enjoying Mars.

2.95/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

The second beer in the planet series hopes to bring more love then the first. Sometimes I think beers these days are just being made to make a beer. If you are going to take the time to make a beer, please make a good beer. Enough of my rant, on to the review.

A strong pour only generates about a half inch of quickly fading off white head. No lace is left behind as it fades in about a minute to just a skim. Body is a light honey amber in tone.

Smells like a odd candle with hints of honey, vanilla and cardamom. Just like the label says, but I'm not sure it works for a beer. We will see about the taste.

Oh jesus, oh my I think to my self as I take the first sip. There is a lot going on here and it is mostly bad. Oddly soured fruits mixed with vanilla candle wax and musky honey tones on the tongue. This can't be what they were shooting for here. Really not enjoyable to drink at all. I really wanted to like this beer, especially because of how hard it was to get, but I just don't. Nothing good to say so I won't say any more at all.

2.56/5  rDev -20%

A: Pretty golden/orange, slightly cloudy. Initially, I’m into it. Insignificant (and slightly depressing) head turns me off.

S: Predominately sweet vanilla, maybe honey, maybe cardamom/baking spices. I should warn you that I think I’m only trying to smell cardamom because it’s listed on the bottle.

T: At first, overwhelming vanilla. Although they claim to have used over 60 pounds of hand-sliced vanilla beans, the taste is synthetic, like a cheap extract. Then I get a tartness, presumably from the apricot. Had they been less heavy-handed with the vanilla, this beer might’ve been balanced. Do I taste animal crackers?

M: Medium-bodied, soft carbonation, long finish. Apricot stays in my mouth, which I’m okay with. It helps numb the cloying, artificial vanilla flavor that’s overwhelming my palate.

O: I’m more enamored by the idea of this beer than the taste. I didn’t hate or like it, and I wouldn’t drink it again, unless it was put in front of me (let’s be honest). But I do appreciate that it’s making me think. I give Bells points for creativity.

BTW, what’s up with Holst? He calls Venus “the Bringer of Peace,” which according to planetary science, is total BS. It’s the hottest planet in the solar system, and it has a super dense atmosphere. Clearly, he was interpreting the planets from a mythological standpoint…love, beauty, femininity. He wrote Venus as a resolution to Mars, “the Bringer of War.” I wonder if my perception of this beer would be different if I had tasted Mars first.

3.9/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

maybe too weird for some? with apricot juice, cardamom, vanilla bean, and honey. I personally think this thing is amazing, expertly balanced between all these unique and not often paired elements, it really does work, and they really all do get tasted. there is a funny tang to the nose, the apricot and the vanilla the most robust additives, and a curious yeast character with some booze too. the taste is amazing through, the honey and the apricot are really vibrant and authentic up front with some sweeter and richer barley malt, which the cardamom is just subtle in the middle and brings out the hoppier side of this, and the vanilla is all in the finish, sweet, and circling back to the apricot in a well timed reprise. to say its complex is an understatement, and I see why others have not reviewed this beer favorably, but I for one admire its reach and think its as well put together as it possibly could be considering its constituent parts. cant wait for the rest of the series!

4.25/5  rDev +32.8%

12oz bottle poured into glass. $1.99 per bottle at Woodmans with NO LIMIT, so i got 4.

Appearance: Pours a hazy amber with a head that cleanly dissipates over a few minutes.

Smell: honey and spices. Different, for sure.

Taste: honey and spices... the cardamon gives it a very unique flavor profile that compliments the honey and apricot quite nicely. It's a very unexpected flavor, so I can see why some may be put off. It's really a beer for a very specific taste.

Mouthfeel: good amount of carbonation, honey lingers in your mouth.

Overall: I am so happy I got three more of these.

3.75/5  rDev +17.2%

2.9/5  rDev -9.4%

2.6/5  rDev -18.8%

3.5/5  rDev +9.4%

3.75/5  rDev +17.2%

3.3/5  rDev +3.1%

3.8/5  rDev +18.8%

2.5/5  rDev -21.9%

Not a huge fan, too fruity and tar for my taste

3.52/5  rDev +10%

1.44/5  rDev -55%

4.08/5  rDev +27.5%

2.9/5  rDev -9.4%

3.15/5  rDev -1.6%

3.23/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Gold in color with some haziness from suspended sediment. A fingernail of off white head sits on top. Faint overly sweet aroma of apricots is hard to pickup. The flavor is an intenselycloying sweetness quickly giving way to a hefty dose of herbal cardamom. There's moderate carbonation and it's syrupy.

I really do like this fruity tart sour of a beer. I'm going to age a few to see what happens and if those colliding flavors ever settle down.

Bell's Venus (The Bringer Of Peace) from Bell's Brewery, Inc.