Bell's Saturn: The Bringer Of Old Age - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Saturn: The Bringer Of Old AgeBell's Saturn: The Bringer Of Old Age

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Barleywine |  11.50% ABV

Beer added by: mothman on 06-27-2014

to view more.
Ratings: 90 | Reviews: 16
4.17/5  rDev -2.1%

Deep amber appearance with a bit more carbonation than expected. Aroma of honey, vanilla, and butterscotch. Tastes of lots of vanilla and caramel upfront. Harsh backend that is very alcohol warming. Slight bourbon at end. Needs more time. Mouthfeel is ok, but slightly watery. Second best of the series.

4.26/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Like a watered down Central waters BBBW if that makes sense...not great but good. Better than average mouthfeel but a little boring for the style. Highly drinkable with traces of alcohol.

4.28/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Best planet of the serious. Boozy beautiful. Hopped just enuff

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle into tulip. Golden copper color, two fingers of white head that's here and gone, leaving a thin cap. Aroma is sweet and boozy; honey, caramel, spice, booze. Taste is harsh on the back end at first, then settles to a warmth. One of the better barleywines I've had, wish it was easier to get a hold of.

3.92/5  rDev -8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A bit harsh, needs time in the bottle. Also, more carb than I would expect from the style, but overall very solid, and looking forward to how it evolves

Was interested to note some reviews that this want very happy. I got the opposite. Harsh bitterness on the finish that I hope fades. Very much american style for me

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

poured 12oz bottle into chalice.

A - Dirty bronze with a 1.5 finger white head. Surprised how white the head is for this style of beer. Fades into a collar and leaves behind a nice amount of lacing.

S - Sweet bourbon, butterscotch, vanilla, caramel aromas. Not much in the way of dark fruit or wood on the nose. It certainly has a very nice smell.

T - It is bourbon forward with plenty of vanilla, caramel, and some butterscotch. Semi sweet and not very hoppy. No real dark fruit notes, but it does have some oak/wood in the middle.

M - Feels light for a barleywine, which is not a bad thing for this beer. Nice carbonation and a bit of alcohol warming on the palate.

O - Solid BBBW that should mellow a bit with age. It's not overly bourbon, but I think I will appreciate it even more come October-December.

4.51/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Bottled on 04/03/15.

A- Pours a cloudy golden with initially a large amount of white colored head which quickly fades.

S- Bourbon, caramel, and sweet malts on the nose.

T- Holy bourbon. A sweet caramel flavor initially before the bourbon comes through. The bourbon takes over the back end of each taste, not a bad thing.

M- Medium bodied, well carbonated, very bourbon forward with a warming sensation through each sip.

Great BA Barleywine, I'm looking forward to sitting the rest of my 6 pack down to see what some ages does.

4.39/5  rDev +3.1%

Strange it took Bells almost 30 years to release there first barley wine. This is by far the best of the series along with mars. The smell dosent get any better than this. It's a bourbon bomb at first but mellows nicely as it warms. I got a feeling with some age my review will go way up.

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I like this as a different take on a BA Barleywine. Its not just Third Coast Old Ale in a barrel. I get different flavors then most with this glass, but the 10 month old Gruyère I had just prior. Paired well.

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

*Beer #700*

My 700th beer is our 6th from the sun -- Saturn. This was something like $3 bottle. Bottled 4/3 and poured 4/16... let me just say I'm glad I got two bottles, so I have one to sit on for a couple years. It says "The Bringer of Old Age" ... sure, I'll put some age on it.

Appearance: Hard pour gave a two finger head with "tight" bubbles -- didn't last long, but looked great. The beer is copper brown with some floaters. Spotty lacing at best.

Smell: Beautiful vanilla, oak, and malt aroma... awesome blend. Just a very nicely blended beer that smells phenomenal. I mean, if I'm going to whine about something, I guess it's that the barrel could be a bit "strong" for some people (really though, who complains about that?). I absolutely love the barrel, booze, malt, and overall richness of this beer's nose. Stunning.

Taste/feel: Essentially the smell of the beer ... on the taste buds. Maybe this beer doesn't have the hugest amount of depth compared to some other barleywines I've had, but I couldn't ask for much more -- warming alcohol, oak, a little vanilla, rich sweet malt... something about this brew is never truly cloying though. There's actually a bitterness in there that's void in a number of English barleywines I've had before. There's a little dark fruit, but it's not as prevalent as I was expecting. The only thing that could *maybe* improve this beer would be a little maple flavor. The feel is solid -- a moderate sort of body with a slightly syrupy feel and a minor prickly carbonation; it really makes it all come together for Saturn.

The Planet Series has been disappointing as a whole. The only one I really enjoyed was Mars, which I thought was insane. Mercury and Venus were both mediocre at best, and Jupiter, while a good brown ale, didn't do much for me. Saturn is an outstanding beer, and worthy of being my 700th beer.

3.84/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Disclaimer - I don't drink much barley wine. But am trying to drink all the planet series.

I thought this was very bourbon up front and a little lighter color than I was expecting. The beer poured with a nice white head and the up front aroma was bourbon. After a second or two I could pick up some smell of vanilla and some rich caramel.

The drink tasted the same way, thick and smooth with a blast of bourbon upfront. It finished with sweetness of vanilla and some fig flavor at the end. The bourbon was a little too overpowering to get strong flavors from the other ingredients.

Going to put some more in the cellar.

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

A solid, but not too-harsh barley wine. Nice bourbon smell and flavor with vanilla and some toffee/caramel. Thick mouthfeel compared to an IPA but not overly for this style. No head in my pour into hopslam snifter but was not sloshing. Translucent caramel color. Surprisingly clear for a barley wine. This one should age well. Hard to find but worth a try for a good sippin nightcap.

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

Really enjoyed this beer. wasn't sure what to expect and glad i got some.

4.27/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Malty, boozey, and a little spice I didn't expect! It's a little on the thin bodied side, but the smell is "out of this world"!

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Lightly colored for the style, a nice dark amber with decent lacing.
Aroma: TONS of vanilla. Reminds me of the smell our container of whole vanilla beans has at work. Smells a bit like caramel chews. Can definitely pick up on the bourbon notes here.
Taste: Toast, figs, and some herbal qualities. I get some baked apples too. The oak barrel is apparent alongside some earthy, floral notes from the hops. Definitely hot on the tongue but not unpleasantly so.
Mouthfeel: Rather thick and warming. Compliments the taste well.
Overall: Easily the best of the series since Mars. I'm eager to see what a year or two in the cellar does to this beer.

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 12oz. bottle into a snifter.

L- Deep amber, good clarity, small slightly off white head. Good amount of alcohol coating the glass.

S- Lots of bourbon, vanilla, oak, light raisin, butterscotch. Some alcohol but not burn your nose off alcohol.

T- Similar to aroma, caramel, butterscotch, vanilla, not too sweet, some alcohol but not burning the throat, light hop bitterness on the aftertaste.

F- Thin syrup, good carbonation for the style.

O- A pretty great beer for the price and for the flavor, the base beer seems a bit lacking and fight to come through the bourbon flavors but it has a great amount of bourbon to it and is pretty smooth out of the gate. I do miss some of the more complex fruity notes for something like TCOA though and this is one of the more lighter colored barleywines I've had but again still a great beer.

to view more.
Bell's Saturn: The Bringer Of Old Age from Bell's Brewery, Inc.