Bell's Porter - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's PorterBell's Porter

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Porter |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 02-06-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bell's Porter Alström Bros
Happy_Camper

04-25-2012 18:03:13 | More by Happy_Camper
PhxHorn

Arizona

1.5/5  rDev -61.1%

Just bought this at Sun Devil in Mesa, AZ, on their new display out front. Too bad this is such a horrific beer. Pours a thinnish brown with minimal head. Smells of smoke and burnt coffee. Tastes of coffee, but with a horrible sour taste. I was able to take about three swallows before this went down the drain. What a disaster of a beer.

02-24-2010 04:42:28 | More by PhxHorn
JDFish

1.6/5  rDev -58.5%

Poured dark and smelled of rotting fruit, burnt coffee, and somehting sour and acidic. Smallish head that disappeared quickly. I manage to get a few sips in before it was dumped down the drain. This piss water is overwhelm with sourness and alcohol. Worst tasting beer I've ever had, zero drinkability.

01-03-2011 02:58:22 | More by JDFish

TheSevenDuffs

Ontario (Canada)

2.35/5  rDev -39.1%

Poured in to a Duvel tulip. Batch #9537

A - Dark black in colour with one finger of fluffy light brown head.

S - Roasted malts with a strong licorice scent.

T - A bitter, somewhat sour licorice/anise taste dominates the palate, so much so that the roasted malts become very subdued and barely form the background of the beer. Faint roasted malts are present in the background but the licorice taste masks any specific notes of the malts. Way too much brewer's licorice for me.

M - light to medium body. moderate carbonation.

D - Didn't finish this one. This is the only Bell's beer I've had that I haven't liked and to say that I didn't like this one is an understatement. Very disappointing.

06-04-2010 02:36:43 | More by TheSevenDuffs
biglite351

2.38/5  rDev -38.3%

A - a little more light showing through than I expected. The foam vanished a bit quickly.

S - very mild and rather disappointing.

T - starts well but there quickly is a flavor that I am not too high on. I do not know how to describe it though.

M - thin and tingled like a pop.

D - way doin on the list. I will probably not buy another.

03-27-2010 21:05:43 | More by biglite351
oregonskibum

Oregon

2.45/5  rDev -36.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass.
A: Pours a nice dark brown color with a hint of really dark amber. Very fizzy light tan head.

S: Pineapple? Yes, that's it. Not sure what's up, but there's a strong tropical thing going on here. Typical roasty malts as well, but hard to get past the odd smell.

T: Similar to smell, although the roasted malts with light coffee flavor is more prominent. I still get a slight sour taste though. A little bitterness on the finish, but fairly unremarkable.

M: Really light with high carbonation.

D: Not terribly impressed. Not sure if this beer is starting to go off or not. Seems fairly light and unsophisticated with an odd (off?) flavor of pineapple. Seems to have potential and may try to give it another chance, but there are much better porters out there.

03-09-2010 04:11:20 | More by oregonskibum
AleYes

2.48/5  rDev -35.8%

Poured nice and dark. Light on taste, a bit watery. Not much complexity, hints of coffee and cocoa, thin head and mouthfeel. Slightly hoppy aftertaste. Cold to warm not much different. Not a bad beer, if it were a lager, but not worth drinking unless you had the choice between this and Bud.

10-23-2007 23:59:09 | More by AleYes
GRG1313

2.5/5  rDev -35.2%

Pours a dark brown/black with a thick firm light yellow/tan head.

Nose is assertive milked, semi-sweet coffee, roasted grain and rich sweet dark chocolate - very nice nose.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery and with no body.

Flavors are thin bitter grapefruit and thin bitter espresso but with a citrus character and acidity that detracts. Thin all around.

03-04-2010 20:39:57 | More by GRG1313
Birmz

06-20-2014 16:35:29 | More by Birmz
ldelancey

Kentucky

09-22-2013 21:12:38 | More by ldelancey
voyageurs60

2.5/5  rDev -35.2%

As part of a "Tap Takeover" by Bell's at the Harris Grill during Pittsburgh's Big Pour Week this porter was tapped. Visited the venue 1 week later and it was still on tap.

The pour was delivered to the table with 1/2" head in a shaker pint glass. Color was black as I would expect from a porter. Smell was a nice caramel. Taste was disappointing. No smokey, carmamel, coffee flavors at all. Very thin mouthfeel. Very little to no aftertaste.

Overall impression, a very forgettable beer. If this were my only choice against the big brewers, I would be drinking water instead.

09-18-2011 00:45:19 | More by voyageurs60

Montana

01-20-2012 22:30:13 | More by RWNewhouse
adamette

2.5/5  rDev -35.2%

Live review. Poured from the 12 oz. brown bottle that I purchased as a single at Save-On Tobacco & Beverage in Mentor, Ohio a few weeks ago for $1.68 into my Cooperstown Beverage Trail pint glass. Batch 9800.

A Light brown somewhat creamy head of about 1 cm over a dark body that glows a mahogany red in front of direct light. A basic look. 3.0

S Moderate to dark roast malt and an "amber" smell that I did not expect. The beer is not very aromatic. Several sniffs were needed to produce the first statement. 3.0

T Taste flows from the smell in that I can taste the disappointingly thin dark roast malt but also an "amber" taste that I did not expect. This lacks the depth and great taste of Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter which is available in nearly every store in my area. 2.0

M Too thin for me. The dark roast malt is too distant and the "amber" tastes seem to make it feel even more thin. I don't know about this one....I am firmly disappointed in it. 2.5

D Good with manageable ABV (5.6%) but the smell and taste are forgettable enough that I cannot see reaching for another one of these. 3.0

Notes: Just as much as I was impressed with the Java Stout (just reviewed it) I am disappointed with this one, far inferior to many, many other porters available to me (Not just the great Edmund Fitzgerald, but others too).

12-22-2010 04:13:00 | More by adamette
alysmith4

District of Columbia

2.6/5  rDev -32.6%

Not terribly impressed with this beer. Found it on tap at a local restaurant. Thought the roasted malt tasted slightly burnt and somewhat dirty. There was a definite coffee and chocolate flavor coming through, and I could taste a little bit of cola as well. Not bad, but not exactly worth a try imo.

04-20-2007 18:57:16 | More by alysmith4
xfactor9600

Indiana

2.63/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: A dark brown with a light tan head. So far so good.

S: an "off" coffee aroma.

T: Carmel mixed with malts and what tasted like bad coffee. I suspect I had a bad batch.

M: Creamy

D: Perhaps I was expecting something different or I had a bad batch. But the taste was not what I expected. I may try again just to see if I have a better experience.

12-16-2008 01:52:11 | More by xfactor9600
airheadmtrcycle

Georgia

2.75/5  rDev -28.8%

I'll be right upfront with my bias towards porters. It's one of my favorites styles. Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint. Almost black it's so dark with a tan head and nice lacing. Great looking pour!

Smells of dark roasted malts and perhaps something else. Not too aromatic, though. The taste is difficult to find. Strange, as I usually expect porters to have burnt and smokey flavors with perhaps some bitterness on the finish, particularly with American porters. It's generally a quite "in your face" kind of thing, not something you have to go searching for. I let it warm to finally find some smokey flavor hiding.

The most disappointing quality is the mouthfeel. Way too thin for the style. Makes me want to go get something more robust to finish the night with. Funny thing is I can feel it weighing on my belly. That's the opposite of what I'm looking for in an ale.

Overall, a real disappointment.

12-06-2010 04:25:42 | More by airheadmtrcycle
HopFace

05-07-2012 22:50:12 | More by HopFace
mcaulifww

12-20-2012 15:13:43 | More by mcaulifww
Bell's Porter from Bell's Brewery, Inc.