Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Bell's Barrel Aged Expedition Stout | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

YOUR RATING = None |

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by JasonR1975 on 07-27-2014

Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 36
4.41/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Really glad to have gotten some of this, so I figured I'd give a review a fair shot.

This beer is one of those barrel aged beers that doesn't try to do too much. It's barrel + stout and nothing else and it does an excellent job at it.

Bottled ten days ago and its a bit hoppier than I like my stouts, but nothing like the hoppiness of Yeti beers/variants. The barrel character really smooths out the taste. Closest cousin might be Dark Horse Barrel Aged Plead, but Plead is a tad sweeter, at least that's what my palette tells me today. It also could just be the bitterness masking it.

Mouth feel is great, not too thin or thick. Nose is fine. Wouldn't call it anything special. The best thing that I've done with this beer is let it warm. My first drink was at 50, and that was way too cold. Definitely needs to sit at room temp for a while.

If you are a big fan of the non adjunct/flavored format (I hesitate to say basic, because of the connotation) of big BA stouts, then this is a must try. However, if you prefer the cinnamon + bacon + coconut + coffee + vanilla + cat piss or one of the thousand other ridiculous things they put in beer these days, you may find yourself a bit underwhelmed considering what this beer is trading for.

Cheers!

Bell's Barrel Aged Expedition Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.