Bell's Expedition Stout - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Expedition StoutBell's Expedition Stout

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by Jay_Ulreich:
Jay_Ulreich

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

This is the best stout on the planet, IMO. I dont understand how 10 Fidy and Dark Lord are so high up on the top 250 and this isnt even on it! Should be the other way around, IMO!!! I love this beer. Its hands down my favorite Stout.
A- When you pour it, the head is alive. Theres no nitro in this beer, but its the only stout thats ever come close to the "aliveness" that Guinness has. The heads got that brown and almost deep red color to it. Very sticky, very long lasting. Wonderful lacing. PITCH black. You have to turn on an extra light in whatever room it is in because it makes it darker. You can see how well crafted it is.
S- Heres where it really catches my attention.(not that it didnt already have it!) The alcohol is VERY well hidden- a sign of great craftsmanship. I could say things like dark fruit and complex, but I dont dig words like that to describe beer. Its got huge malt character. Chocolate, maybe a little coffee. Definite roastiness.(Is that even a word? It should be) I believe I can smell the yeast, and it is good. Another great thing about it is the hop spice I get, you can almost smell the bitterness. If that makes sense. Balance. Harmony. Beauty. These are words that float through my mind as I smell this.
T- Where to begin... There is a lot happening. If I try, I can taste the alcohol, but its not a distinct flavor, like other certain high ABV stouts Ive had recently(10Fidy). Theres gotta be a ton of hops in this thing because my tongue is dancing. Bitter and floral hops are running around. Theres alot of depth to this beer, deep malt, huge roasted flavor. Not smoke, roast. Dark chocolate, coffee- just a touch. Theres that yeast again, I think... With so much happening, its like each flavor is begging to be noticed. I want to say I taste raisins or figs or something, but at the same time I want to stay far away from words like that. Its something else. It has some kind of woody appearance, like it was in an oak barrel, not a bourbon barrel, just a regular old wooden barrel. I pick that up in the aftertaste. I just love it. Its the epitome of an Imperial Stout. Or at least, IMO, its everything one should be. Its really just excellent.
M- This is a thick stout. Oil comes to mind, but just as Im pouring it, not when actually drinking it. It is so smooth, and just the perfect amount of chewy. Makes me wonder if oatmeal is used to give it that mouth feel. Once again, this is exactly what I look for in an Imperial Stout. Bells really nailed it with this one. This beer will probably always be in my top 5. I love it so much that I really would be sad if I ever found something better, but as that is damn near impossible, Ill be just fine.
Overall, rarely will I give a beer anywhere near a 4.5, because I dont feel most meet those expectations. I dont believe there IS a perfect 5/5. If there was, then you could stop drinking anything else and stop reviewing. Its all about the chase, man. While I think the price could come down about a buck or 2, this is one of the only 6 packs that I feel is actually worth 16-17 bucks. It probly costs alot more for the amount of grains that go into making this big, big brew. The quality is worth the extra dollar. Thank you Bells!

02-25-2014 04:37:38 | More by Jay_Ulreich
BlueAndBrew

07-29-2014 04:07:33 | More by BlueAndBrew
Mikus

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured into my tulip from a 12oz bottle. These have about a year on them (purchased at the Andersons in C-Bus, OH). Bit pricey, but well worth it! Pure black (blacker than my heart) with a finger of tan head... didn't last too long. Immediate notes of coffee, molasses, and DEEP dark roasted malt. Yes. The deep roasty flavor emerged with the first swig, also a crisp bitterness. Hints of bitter chocolate and even a bit a caramel as time passed. Smooth, velvety mouthfeel. Glad I invested in a sixer, and excited to age a couple of these for upcoming birthdays (maybe '15 and '16). What a winner. One of my faves is FIS, and in my opinion (though it has some unique characteristics)... Expedition stands right up with FIS. Get some.

07-28-2014 13:41:55 | More by Mikus

Missouri

07-23-2014 15:58:06 | More by thufflife
Chuffbomb

07-23-2014 13:43:19 | More by Chuffbomb
Bell's Expedition Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.