2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bell's Expedition Stout - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Expedition StoutBell's Expedition Stout

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 4,117 | Reviews: 1,856 | Show All Ratings:
drgonzo3705

Vintage 2006 bottle. Batch #7205 (Jan 12, 2006)

A: Very beautiful dark black with some slight mocha around the edge.

S: Buttery Milk Chocolate. Bit of raisin and a soft touch of vanilla.

T: Like a roasted Hershey bar. A bit smokey tasting that remains on your tongue.

M: Thick and full bodied. slightly creamy with little signs of carbonation.

D: The ABV will catch up with you after a while but until it does I'm going to drink the shit out of this stout!

This being a vintage review I will say I have had fresh Expedition Stout. Definitely worth holding on to and cellaring for a few years. Like a nice Port wine or a sherry. I split this bottle with a friend and I just want to slowly sip on this alll night long.

01-12-2009 05:21:56 | More by drgonzo3705
hefewisseguy

One of the best RIS I've everhad next to a 2008 darklord. I enjoyed this beer I'm my delirium sniffter. Pours out dark and has an awsome smell. Dark tan head and left a little lacing. Has a nice mouth feel and let's u know their is a 10.5 abv. Then chocalte,coffee, and tasty malts cover your pallet along with a creamy head (if swurled before consumed) I love that is availible in a 6pack so I can enjoy almost one a day!

09-14-2010 16:57:39 | More by hefewisseguy
Eldalonde

Pours pitch black with a dark brown full head. The smell just fills the room once the cap has been cracked...phenomenal. Rich aromas of bourbon, tobacco, sweet and bitter dark chocolate, copious amounts of coffee. There is also a bit of a hoppy bite in the aroma. The flavor is just spot on. Rich oily mouthfeel gives flavors that are close to the nose. Bitter roasted coffee and dark chocolate are the most accessible flavors with those heavily roasted malts coming across with such brilliance. Tobacco and toffee combine with molasses to give an incredible complexity. This beer also has that 'raw' edge that I love in stouts so much. The finish is long, dry, and lingering. This beer provides everything I look for in a RIS and leaves nothing undone. This is just wonderful

12-22-2010 00:27:56 | More by Eldalonde
masonjer

Expedition stout! I have had this beer out of the bottle, on tap, on handpull, fresh, slightly aged, 10 years old and enjoyed it each time. This might be my favorite beer of all time. Pours pitch black, huge aroma of roast and bitter hops, chocolate and even a touch of bitter licorice. Taste is much the same, fills the mouth and coats the tongue. A great sipper that is complex and full of flavor. Good stuff.

12-30-2010 21:07:31 | More by masonjer
vette2006c5r

This beer pours a dark black color, with a creamybrown head. The smell is very malty. The taste is massivly heavy, lots of choclate and coffeflavors, an intense malt flavor. The flavor is going to linger and the alchool blends nicley. Overall may very well be the best stout i ever had, fantastic.

03-27-2011 23:35:11 | More by vette2006c5r
gshak

I've had this a number of times, and rated it around 4.75-5. Decided this time, to chime in and write a review. Poured from a year-old (Jan '12) bottle into a Meukow snifter at refrigerator temperature. I had the desire but not the discipline to let this one sit for long and warm up. Here we go:
A - With an aggressive pour, the liquid still went flat into the snifter, only for the bubbles to gradually rise up towards the end, generate a thin mocha-colored head, and fade back into a tiny, persistent, ring. Viscous, and pitch-black; upon swirling leaves noticeable signs of alcohol legs. The mocha-tint lets you know where the beer's been through in your glass. Impressive.
S - Chocolatey, very, very chocolatey with hints of molasses. Now, this may not be much to rate the stout on, but there is that almost zen-like statement from this stout (hyperbolic, I know) the subdued appearance, the subdued aromas that portend of awesome things to come. And for that feeling alone, this gets a 5.
T - Yes, yes, yes. A big hit of dark chocolate and sweet molasses coats the mouth. Transitions into a slightly vinous sensation on the palate most likely the alcohol. I want to keep this in my mouth for as along as I possibly can - ah, the sweet, sweet delight of sipping on this beauty. As it goes down, it dries the palate - possibly a combination of hops and alcohol coming into play. I never felt the alcohol at any time, and the hops are only there to balance out the sweetness of the beer. Even so...this is a malt-lover's dream!
M - Thick, viscous, silky, smooth....the ultimate sipper.

As far as non-barrel aged imperial stouts go, this is the one to beat. I do not see how anyone could possibly out do this one. And even among the barrel-aged ones, I can only pick a few that could, possibly, go toe-to-toe with the Bells Expedition.

12-19-2012 22:39:34 | More by gshak
RichieS2

Poured a 12 oz bottle into a Trappist Goblet.

Appearance - Opaque black even when held up to a light source. Had a mocha brown froth with a good amount of lacing. Textbook appearance of I-stout.

Smell - Strong hints of coffee with some detectable undertones of chocolate. Overall very pleasing almost like being in a coffee shop. Again textbook for an I-stout.

Taste - Heavenly to say the least. The beer starts with strong malt sweetness that fills the palate. Then the malt transitions to the more bittersweet taste of roasted malt, which again brings the coffee analogy to mind. The bitter sweetness ends with bitterness equal to that of pale ale. In case you were not keeping track that is 3 tastes in the beer's flavor, each and everyone one of them is not just good but great.

Mouth feel - Satisfyingly thick and warm in the mouth.

Overall - I do not hand out a perfect score easily. This beer has earned it.

12-28-2012 17:10:28 | More by RichieS2
Louski

Not sure I've had a more perfect Russian imperial stout. Pours a deep black with barely a finger of dark tan head- excellent lacing though. Very complex in taste. Obvious I chocolate malts, backed by coffee notes and nutty, smokey goodness. Coats the mouth just right with a slightly boozy finish that just lets you know it's there. I'm in love.

02-09-2014 19:49:03 | More by Louski
EvoRich

4.98/5  rDev +17.7%

Bell Expedition stout. Something I wanted to try for awhile, hearing great things about it. I've seen it on tap at a local restaurant I frequent, however, I kept finding things that sounded more interesting, o stuck to old favorites. Well I decided to finally just try it, and I was extremely impressed! Very glad I gave this stuff a try. I found a case at a local distributor for much less than what I thought this stuff would cost. I expected it to be over $100/case. I ended up splitting the case with a friend from work who has previously enjoyed this stout.

Look: DARK. As dark as anything. Very thing head, dwindles to noting but a small foam lip around the edge of the glass. Very tan/coffee and creme colored (but minimal) lacing/foam. Leaves an almost motor oil like coating on the sides of the glass when swirling it around.

Smell: Alcohol, bourbon, chocolate. Smells like a big stout. Very sweet and roasty smelling.

Taste: Roasty, coffee, chocolate, nutty, alcohol, dark fruits. Very sweet. A slight hoppy finish, nothing over the top. I love the alcohol burn, despite not being very high ABV (120 minute and WWS have ruined my perception of "high ABV"). At 10.5% ABV, it has a much greater alcohol burn than I would expect. This is not a bad thing, in my opinion. The Taste is just how I want a nice imperial stout to be. Perfect!

Mouthfeel: Full bodied. Light on carbonation, but just the right amount.

Overall: Without having it back to back, I think this compares well to Dogfish head World Wide Stout. Much more available, and MUCH cheaper as well, and the flavor is very comparable. Dare I say, I might actually like it a little more. One reason being the lower ABV. Yeah drinking big ABV beers is fun sometimes, but most of the time, 18% ABV is just toooo much, for a Tuesday evening :)

This may be my new favorite Russian Imperial Stout.I'm really starting to like what Bell's has to offer.

04-15-2014 23:29:58 | More by EvoRich
cretemixer

Indiana

4.97/5  rDev +17.5%

Pours thick, not really black, more of a garnet so deep it seems black. Not much head to speak of, even after a vigorous pour. Chocolate fudge & coffee aromas are so strong that I can actually taste them before I take my first sip. It almost smells like malted chocolate chip pancakes with an alcohol based currant syrup. The first sip coats my mouth and oozes down my throat warming everything as it goes down. A "belly warmer" as Gusler calls it. Bitter chocolate like fine Dutch cocoa is at the forefront, currants and port wine follow behind. The carbonation is not apparent unless you just let a swallow sit in your mouth for a while. Wow this beer has some weight to it! There's a burnt toast aftertaste that comes through at the finish and lingers for a good long while. A little more head and it would have been 5's accross the board for me.

A powerhouse of a brew that will cellar well. Another great Bells product. Their best so far IMHO.

01-04-2003 07:17:56 | More by cretemixer
jtw5877

4.97/5  rDev +17.5%

An excellent beer, pours a deep dark black thick motor oil color. Little head, but on a beer like this that is not a problem. Smells like coffee, toffee, chocolate, and caramel. A rich roasted malt experience. This beer lives up to the hype, and exceeds it.

02-21-2003 04:42:58 | More by jtw5877
santoslhalper

4.97/5  rDev +17.5%

Appearence: Pours a midnight black with a dark, chocolaty head. Leaves decent lacing. A near-perfect looking stout.

Smell: Smells of roasted nuts and chocolate with a little bit of hops shining through. Stout heaven. The sniff of all sniffs.

Taste and Mouthfeel: This tastes like a steak!! Its a steak in a bottle! Fabulously complex and perfectly balanced. There's no alcohol there what-so-ever. A huge, grand tasting beer that has to be sipped to be understood. Rich, malty goodness with a great amount of hops finishing off this well-rounded beer. I can't say enough, the best tasting stout I've had to date. Feels nice and chewy in the mouth with a rich, creamy texture that just doesn't quit.

Drinkability and Overall: I didn't think my long-time favorite Storm King could be topped, but goddammit this did it. Bell's totally suprised me with this. If this were more readily available this might be one of the few beers I drink. This is my new desert island beer. As close to perfection in a stout as you can get. Unbelievable.

12-07-2004 03:48:33 | More by santoslhalper
chargerfanjess

4.97/5  rDev +17.5%

This is an incredible beer....great smell of coffee toffee and burnt sugar, mouthfeel was not to thick but thick enough to be considered big, definately not syruppy. The taste is phenominal with great toasted notes and coffee overtones Very very drinakble at a slow pace...carefull do not get too loaded!

09-22-2006 17:15:02 | More by chargerfanjess
hopdog

4.97/5  rDev +17.5%

Bottle and tap multiple times and more to come!

Poured a dark black with an averaged sized brown head. Aromas and tastes of mocha chocolates, roasted malts, and light bitter coffee. This is one good tasting beer. Alcohol content well hidden. Smooth and easy to drink.

11-13-2008 19:44:22 | More by hopdog
dotsonjamesg

Arkansas

4.97/5  rDev +17.5%

Special thanks to jcdgoad for recommending this brew to me....

I purchased this brew from liquorama.net. Not that bad of a price either but shipping costs made it a little pricey, but hopefully worth it. I would really like to point out that Russian Imperial Stout is my favorite style, so you can imagine that I tend to have somewhat of a bias concerning them. In my defense, I would like to let those who read this know that I also grade them very harsh. If this one is truly as good as I have heard, it must be truly impressive; though I have noticed the wide-array views so I am very skeptical and curious.

Served in a chilled 14oz snifter

Appearance: Whoa...probably one of the thickest, darkest ales I have ever poured. The brew had a thin, ½ finger head that quickly dissipated. I have heard some complaints stating the brew is over-carbonated. Since my head was so weak, maybe my pour wasn't aggressive enough. Still looks good to me.

Smell: Probably one of the most aromatic stouts I have ever experienced. I poured the brew and set it aside, as not to be hindered by the heat of my "super-laptop." The brew is sitting about 18 inches away from my nose and I can still smell it...not very common, even with the most aggressive of stouts. The nose is full of chocolate, fig, currants, dark roasted malts, a tinge of hops, and alcohol.

Taste: Much like its intense nose, the brew is rich with dark roasted malts, chocolate syrup, and alcohol. Starts with a smooth and intense chocolate flavor and moves in to brutal bitter, dark roasted coffee-like flavor. The bitterness is harsh and lasts for quite some time. I can see why some people have given this brew some varying reviews. It stays true to its legacy in being a Russian Stout, but it might be a little too bitter. Russian Stouts should be strong, and extremely sugary. This brew is absent of the EXTREME levels of caramelized sugars, commonly found in many Russian Stouts. The enormous, backed-up bitterness may be too intense for most people.

Mouthfeel: Thick, velvety, and very smooth. Carbonation was also pretty nice and matched well.

Drinkability: It is a definite sipper. If you can stand the extreme bitterness, it is heavenly, but you have to possess the ability to drink some of the heaviest of ales ever brewed; and this most certainly qualifies. This brew is extreme, and that's being nice. Don't let the simplistic label or bad reviews fool you...this epic-brew is anything but simplistic. Its character is tremendous and unfathomable by most, and enjoyed by even fewer.

Excuses for the bad reviews? Russian Stouts are definately an aquired taste. This one is pretty intense and not as balanced as others and will probably drive away most people who aren't use to the extreme levels of burnt-bitterness, flavor of alcohol, and syrup-like viscosity.

I would recommend this only to a seasoned Russian Imperial Stout drinker. I would also recommend a very nice cigar with this lovely brew, it would match perfectly.

Enjoy this as much as I did.

Cheers!

-Dotson

03-17-2009 23:23:23 | More by dotsonjamesg
cokes

Wisconsin

4.95/5  rDev +17%

I am stunned by this amazing concoction. A masterpiece through and through. It is easly the best imperial I have tried. As good, if not better than the much heralded Storm King.

Expedition pours pitch black...light enters but cannot escape. A wispy tan head appears, but the beer itself is hardly carbonated. Makes the mouth feel wonderfully slippery.

Smell is of dark fruit, charcoal, sharp hops and alcohol. Taste contains all of these plus expresso, chocolate, molasses, caramel, and faint vanilla bean. Starts with some burnt sweetness, the comes the onslaught of the hops (cascades?). Even the huge hop profile is quickly buried beneath the avalanche of massive roasted flavors. Alcohol is not too evident (especially for 10%ABV) but provides a delighful warming sensation.

Very well integrated right now, but I can't wait to see how this matures. Kepping my hands off the rest will truly test my will-power.

Update 3.22.03:
(2yr old bottle.) Holy shit.

04-03-2002 01:07:55 | More by cokes
ManekiNeko

4.95/5  rDev +17%

12 oz bottle served lightly chilled in a Trois Pistoles goblet.

Appearance: Inky black with no highlights whatsoever. Wow, über-dark. Topped with a fantabulously gorgeous and healthy mahogany brown head. It eventually settles down to a film and a ring, but only after a good long while. Extraordinary lacing, just plain extraordinary.

Smell: Dark roasted coffee, high quality cocoa, light prunes, mild smoke, and slight biscuit aromas. Damn, that's dark and complex. I spent a good few minutes just sniffing this incredible elixir of the gods.

Taste: Intense and bittersweet coffee flavor with hints of smoke. Notes of prunes and raisins. Aftertastes of pepper and piney hops that last forever. Just friggin' incredible.

Mouthfeel: Thick, robust body. I've often pondered comparing the body of a beer to a woman's body, but have quavered for consideration of those possessing homozygous sex chromomes. Now, I shall throw caution to the wind and just say it: if this beer were a woman, she'd have the body of a 50's starlet like Jane Mansfield of Marilyn Monroe. Va-va-voom!

Drinkability: Well, I sadly only have one bottle, and this is it. *sniff* >.< *weep* I love this. Trades will be made, oh, yess.. yes they will. Worthy of it's placement in the top 50. Curse you Bell's for making such tasty stouts of all stripes!!!

Mad crazy props to feloniousmonk for making this possible. My second child shall be named after you, even if it's a girl.

11-25-2003 04:16:43 | More by ManekiNeko
waughbrew

4.95/5  rDev +17%

Thick black with a slow-to-rise, not-too-tall, very dark, not-long-lasting-but-laces-some head. Smells like a salted chocolate bagel - very doughy like that. Tastes like deep cocoa fudge with mellow raspberry. Oily and strong herbage. Very nice, though I could like a little more bite. The alcohol is at a perfect level. Thick feel, but not slick and not fluffy: quite amazing really. Finish is balanced and lovely, and welcomes another sip. This is godly.

04-28-2006 01:48:24 | More by waughbrew
metallistout

4.95/5  rDev +17%

This is one damn fine beer!

This thing pours black like Florida Swamp water! The head is so foamy it looks like a giant marshmellow on top.

Smell rich in coffee and chocolate.

Tastes of coffee and chocolate malts with a dry hop finish.

Probably one of the best Imperial Stouts I have had. I love that I can buy this in a sixer.

11-03-2007 03:09:01 | More by metallistout
GratefulBeerGuy

New Hampshire

4.95/5  rDev +17%

Thanks to ncvbc for this brew!

12 oz.>postel chalice glass

This one pours out slow and thick, black as a moonless night night with a healthy, one-finger deep head at first then it slowly settles to 1/4" deep ULTRA tight, compact, smooth and perfectly even dark-mocha brown head that is retained throughout the duration. Very impressive look, the lacing left behind is intricate patterns and very sticky. It doesn't get any heavier looking than this.

The nose is sweet, smokey molasses, Guatamalan coffee and cream, peanutbutter, and a high alcohol heat, but it's not overpowering. Big Wow aroma.

I'm stunned, my mind is blown, my tastebuds have been nuked, it has a deer-in-headlights effect on my brain. The malt is Soooo huge it's unreal. World class Malt complexity which includes: A very sweet, dark chocolate covered caramel, brown sugar and a big roasty coffee edge, but the thick, sticky sweetness is what's amazing here. The hops are big too, which is needed to form some kind of balance beyone the roastiness and sweetness...it's easily achieved here with an agressive earthy and bitter hop, not as hoppy as the Smuttynose RIS or some West-coast style RIS's but it's pretty big. The bitter, earthy hops blend well with the high heat of the alcohol which just adds further depth and balance. As the brew warms up even more I can taste wild blackberries and an almost zesty edge to the hops. The complexity has never been better...This stuff is extreme in all ways, pushing the envelope...totally beyond the pale.

The feel is as heavy, full and thick as you could want, the carbonation is low, but not void of feel, which is fine with me. I love my RIS's to be as heavy and thick as possible, this one is just that. My lips got sticky really fast, due to it's massively sweet malt.

This is really everything I could ask for from this style. totally rightous stuff...a true sipper, enjoy slowly. Have stout, will travel!!

02-12-2008 16:31:17 | More by GratefulBeerGuy
hopslamds

4.95/5  rDev +17%

Pours a pitch black, thick, with a small tan head. Aroma of roasted malt, dark chocolate, and a suttle hops. Fresh is a bit hot, which tends to mellow over time and become dangerously smooth. Definitely a wonderful beer that is readily available (when in season) and well priced. Buy and age this beer every year. This truly gets better every year.

05-05-2011 21:48:28 | More by hopslamds
genuinedisciple

4.95/5  rDev +17%

Let me start by saying that Expedition and I have a history, a semi-short, but budding history. Expedition Stout was one of the first stouts I ever had. I liked it then, and absolutely love it now. The other day I happened upon a couple sixers of 2008 expedition, dusty bottles and all. Let me confirm for everyone that this beer gets much better with age.

A - very dark, would like to see a bit more lacing, but I'll get over it, because...

S - The smell is fantastic. At first sniff you get struck by coffee, but then you quickly smell chocolate as well...personally, I think you can smell some type of fruit as well, but it is hidden. I encourage people to take multiple sniffs before and during the consumption...use a snifter.

T - Well, it really depends on if you are drinking an aged or non-aged bottle. The non-aged has more harsh flavors with the coffee and chocolate really standing out. However, you can sense that this is a complex beer, but it's difficult to hit all the flavors. The aged bottles are much more mellow. The coffee flavor is not as potent and you can really taste the other flavors that are present.

O - if you couldn't tell...I give it a 5. I'd probably give the regular expedition an A-, but age it a couple years and it's a solid A+ in my opinion...but you know, "that's just like my opinion man"

10-27-2011 02:16:35 | More by genuinedisciple
kdoc8

Oregon

4.93/5  rDev +16.5%

I had this both on tap at the brewery and in a bottle, but reviewed from the bottle purchased at the brewery. I can't believe this is an 11.5% stout. You simply cannot taste the alcohol content at all. It pours a deep dark black color with some hints of red to it. I didn't get too much of a head from either on tap or the bottle. The little there was was dark brown in color. The aromas were so complex. Chocolates and fruits and coffee or mocha roast with just a twinge of alcohol. The taste was similar. Started out with a little bitterness and then erupting into the complexity of the malts. This was the winner of I'm Bored Tonight Stout-Off, pitted against Deschutes Obsidian Stout and Rogue's Imperial Stout. It was a hard choice - they were all amazing, but I found the Bell's Expedition to be the most complex and and exceptional. Way to go Bell's. Another job very well done.

03-13-2007 22:56:10 | More by kdoc8
xhuskr

4.93/5  rDev +16.5%

share a bottle with friends today. Pulled a bottle out I had put away quite some time ago. Turns out...a LOONNGG time...it was a '07 Batch 8145

A...dark and glorious
S...licorice, cocoa, vanilla?
T...same as above, but a hint of bourbon?
M..smooth as silk
O...best beer I"ve had in awhile...wish I had more...

I stopped at that for the day...hard to get better.

I've been thinking of drinking more of what I've saved..great enjoyment and makes room for new beers in the rotation

08-12-2011 01:18:36 | More by xhuskr
Realale

Missouri

4.9/5  rDev +15.8%

This example was cellared for about two and a half years.

Absolutely opaque black color. Can't see any light through it even when held up to a 225 watt light bulb.

Head was a little less than in the past, but a persisitent espresso-crema-like cap of foam is there and remains throughout the pint.

The nose is roasty coffee and chocolate with incredible sweet fruity notes of dates and dried cherries. There is no hop aroma, but a definite bitter note exists in the nose.

Amazingly thick and rich on the palate, but a very fine beaded carbonation keeps it from being too much. There is a ton of malt character, but its not sweet, and its well-balanced by a coffee-like bitterness. In fact, the lingering impression is one of bitterness, but the good kind that just keeps making you reach for another sip.

Simply stated, a triumph of the brewer's art. IMHO this is even better than a bottle sampled from this six pack about five months ago - the fruity complexity was much greater here. Still one bottle left, and can't wait for a cold night in front of the fireplace to try it!

10-08-2002 07:40:24 | More by Realale
Bell's Expedition Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.