Bell's Expedition Stout - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Expedition StoutBell's Expedition Stout

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2002

4.75/5  rDev +12%

4.6/5  rDev +8.5%

3.99/5  rDev -5.9%

Appearance: Poured into a wili becher. Pours an impenetrable black with a light brown, two-finger head of fine bubbles.

Aroma: Sweet, creamy, roasty malts dominate. Coffee, some bitter dark chocolate, but mostly excellent roastiness.

Taste: Sweet, creamy. slightly chocolatey malt notes move into roasty astringency and slight booziness.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, slightly viscous, light carbonation.

Overall: Killer RIS. Absolutely delicious.

4.75/5  rDev +12%

4.31/5  rDev +1.7%

Bottled 8/22/13 and poured into a shaker pint :| ... I wanted to age this one, but decided to drink it now, and then age any bottles that I get later. $2.99 single.

Appearance: I poured aggressively thinking this wouldn't give me much of a head, boy was I wrong. I got about 90% of the beer poured and the glass was full, almost half with foam. Gorgeous beer, and one of the best RIS's I've seen. As you'd expect, the beer's an abyss. The mocha (almost orange) three finger or more of head dies down to about half of one. Lacing is phenomenal.

Smell: Quite good, but just not quite what I was hoping for. Has a very nice aroma to it, but it's not as pungent as I was hoping for. Maybe it's the thick head I have on top that's blocking out some of the notes. Roasted coffee, deep, dark chocolate, a hint of smoke/ash, and a bit of soy sauce. As Expedition Stout warms, nondescript dark fruits come out to play.

Taste/feel: First off, the feel. It is every bit of what an RIS lover would hope for. Super thick and creamy, with a subtle carbonation. The taste is fabulous, though, like the smell, not killing me with gigantic bold flavors, and the bitterness isn't nearly as harsh as I was lead to believe. Like the smell, roast, coffee, chocolate... there's also a pretty big ash sort of flavor on the finish. There is an alcohol warmth (surprised, surprise!), but there doesn't really seem to be an alcohol flavor... maybe slightly.

Overall, I actually want more out of this. It has a big body. It has a really bold "feel" to it, but the flavor isn't reeking of coffee or chocolate like I thought it might. Still, I'm ecstatic that I enjoy RIS's as much as I do now. I'm really enjoying this beer... I couldn't ask for more from the appearance and mouthfeel, as they are truly flawless.

4.48/5  rDev +5.7%

3.63/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: a motor oil black with some brown on the edges. Opaque. A tan head that fades slowly and leaves a nice lacing

Smell: bitter chocolate, roasted malts, some cocoa. Slight sweetness that is ver subtle compared to the bitterness in this bad boy.

Taste: chocolate, some sweet some bitter. Cocoa. Roasted malts. Bittering hops aparent throughout. Alcohol in the backend

Mouthfeel: heavy. Bitter lingers a bit. Hot alcohol kick

Overall: good. Not my favorite. Will keep you warm on a cold one. I think I will through one in the cellar to see how I like the age on this one

2.91/5  rDev -31.4%

9/26/11 date on the bottle, so this is better than 2 years old, cellared.

Looks the park, dark and menacing with not much beyond a thin white ring of head.

Smells decent, but I can smell the alcohol, that's not a good thing for me.

Taste is burnt coffee, bitter chocolatey with some alchohol on the back end.

Overall, I'm disappinted, this has been conditioning in the basement for over 2 years, mouthfeel has no silk at all, somewhat prickly, the bitter chocolate/coffee taste with alcohol isn't working - ten tidy, old raspution lost abbey serpent stout, BCBS all vastly superior tasting imho.

4.49/5  rDev +5.9%

3.75/5  rDev -11.6%

Bell's Expedition Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.