2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bell's Expedition Stout - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Expedition StoutBell's Expedition Stout

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 4,117 | Reviews: 1,856 | Show All Ratings:
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

4.18/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a solid black that lets no light through. Tanish head that dissipates quickly, but leaves lots of marks down the surface of the glass. Aroma is wine like, with roasted malts, licorice, some chocolate and coffee too. Taste is sweet. I pick up some dried fruit, molasses, some roast and some faint hop or roast bitterness in the end. Mouthfeel is thick, and a bit sweet. Almost leaves my lips sticky like my kids with candy. Not your average Imp Stout, but I love this stuff. Bells continues to impress me!!

03-29-2008 02:34:35 | More by johnnnniee
woosterbill

Connecticut

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle (presumably 2009) into a Duvel tulip.

A: Black as a dark steer's tuckus on a moonless prairie night, with a two-finger head of creamy dark-brown foam. Solid retention and some spotty lace. Beautiful and extremely dark stout.

S: Dark fruits, roasted malt (slightly more coffee than bittersweet chocolate), and some smooth vanilla. Huge, sweet, and roasty. Terrific.

T: Extremely creamy flavors of raisins, prunes, licorice, port, and coffee. Good balance of big sweetness and bitterness. Some alcohol on the finish, but not too much considering the strength and relative youth. Gorgeous beer.

M: Mouth-filling and eminently creamy. Wonderful.

D: Delicious, but not the easiest to drink - lots of booze, lots of sweetness.

Notes: This is undeniably a huge beer, but it's remarkably well refined as well. The dark fruits are especially prevalent, but never overbearing. I'm really surprised this one isn't in the top 100, as IMO it's distinctly better than a number of stouts that are on there. I'll enjoy drinking (at least) one each year for the next half-decade.

Cheers!

03-23-2010 00:43:17 | More by woosterbill
Alieniloquium

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Firestone snifter. Batch 10068, 12/17/2010.

Appearance - Inky viscous black that yields only the slightest tinge of brown at the edges. Not much of a head. Thin khaki collar around the edge with just a lonely dime-sized island of foam roaming the surface.

Smell - I can smell the molasses from the open bottle. Tons of molasses. A stronger sniff unveils booze, licorice, and ashy burnt malt.

Taste - Ridiculous molasses again. Really creamy in the middle with just a little bit of sweetness and then the onslaught begins. Licorice, dark fruits, the darkest chocolate. Burnt pieces of chocolate, really. Ashy and extremely bitter. Booze comes back at the last gasp and bites the throat.

Mouthfeel - Low carbonation, boozy, nearly acrid in its ashy bitterness. And yet it manages to be creamy and delicious.

Overall - Every complaint I have ever had about fresh Expedition Stout has turned into an attribute in this bottle. Two years has done this very well.

03-16-2013 00:57:33 | More by Alieniloquium
drpimento

Wisconsin

3.88/5  rDev -8.3%

Shazam! KIck ass, mo fo. now this is truly big beer. again, maybe it's just my thang, but I pick up hop type hallertau yeast flavs; too fruit for me. Not a bigb head, but lots of lace. almost visquous. roasty dark chocolate, dark overruoe fruits. Would imagine that this beer would age like a dream. creamy body

03-30-2007 06:43:26 | More by drpimento
chinchill

South Carolina

4.15/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle date stamped with a fill date of 2 Oct. 2012. Served in a Belgian snifter.

Pours opaque and nearly black, but with red-brown highlights at the edges. Small dark tan head soon recedes.

Aroma: semi-sweet and appealing but relatively subtle.

Flavor: Rich and strong, with dark fruits, dark chocolate, dark roasted grains, and a hint of coffee. Approaches 4.5

Creamy smooth, excluding the impact of high ABV,

O: Excellent, but room for improvement as demonstrated by Bell's Black Note Stout.

03-05-2014 00:30:44 | More by chinchill
francisweizen

Arizona

4.85/5  rDev +14.7%

Updated: 2003 version pours at slightly below room temp with a humungous head of tan 5, thus increasing the appearance and aroma to a '5'. Taste is also a 5 to me now, but this stuff is just too thick so I have to drop .5 for drinkabiity and mouthfeel. Still, this is one of the best imperial stouts out there on the market!

Like the previous reviewer my bottle was also very flat. Rendering me with only an almost inaudible 'pfft' as I popped the cap. This beer poured as dark as darkness itself but unfrotunately for me, it had no head. The aroma was a little intense at first, but as this beer warmed up you could small dark roasted flavors, malts, chocolate, candies, and fruits...very nice. The taste was, of course, exceptional but the mouthfeel was a little too thick for the low carbonation of this bottle. This has a good drinkability and it is one of my favorite Imperial Stouts by far. If I could get this with a nice head on it and some more carbonation it would probably rate all 5's. I have heard about this breweries inconsistency so perhaps my next bottle will be the 'straight 5's monster' I think this beer can be!
thanks to sakaroo for the sample...
cheers!,
F.

02-27-2003 06:48:53 | More by francisweizen
FosterJM

3.68/5  rDev -13%

243rd review on BA
bottle to snifter
No bottle code- Emailed bells said only issue was batch 9424 bottled on 10/29/2009

2009 Vintage

App- A very dark brown pour almost black with a dark tan almost brown head. Quickly receding to a ring of bubbles.

Smell- A lot of booze on this even with a year on it. Big RIS scents fill the nose. Chocolate, coffee, malt.

Taste- A bit stout with some less than balanced flavors that somehow still manage to taste great. The malt is a bit too strong with a underdevloped roast. A bit of a nutty aftertaste.

Mouth- A light/medium body with a low carb slick oily feel to it.

Drink- I was expecting a bit more but still pretty good. I give it high marks.

02-11-2011 03:33:08 | More by FosterJM
tpd975

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

Like the java stout I just reviewed this one comes to Florida from Indiana with love from my brother. God bless him.

A: The perfect pouring stout. Nice large 3 finger espresso colored head that settles down nicely to a small pillow atop the brew. There is also very nice lacing down the glass. This one could make People' Magazines 100 most beautiful list.

S: Lacking. There is not much really coming from the glass. I like big bold smells when it comes to beer and this one just don't have it. There is some sweetness that I can detect along with some char of the malt. I wanted nice strong tones of coffee and chocolate, none were found here.

T: The taste is good, but not great. The taste of charred malt is in there, which gives you a sense of coffee. The chocolate taste is of bitter chocolate. To be honest I expected more.

M: This one is thick like a milkshake. The coating is wonderful on your mouth. Had the taste been great this would have helped to put the beer over the top.

D: If this is your cup of tea you could drink several despite the ABV. It goes down rather smooth and hides the alcohol nicely.

Overall: I was expecting this to be Bell's best stout. Right before drinking this one I had a Java Stout which I like sooo much better. I have also had their Kalamazoo stout which I also prefer to this one. I realize those are lighter stouts with this being a RIS. Maybe I was expecting too much coming in to this one. I will revisit in a few days as I have a six pack of it. I will also put a few back to age. Time may be on its side.

I almost feel as though I am being too critical. Bell's is quite possibly my favorite brewer. I have to revisit this one. Will update after my second go around with this one.

06-25-2007 16:28:39 | More by tpd975
spinrsx

Ontario (Canada)

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

12oz Bottle from 2009 - Thanks to pushkinwow for this

Appearance - Black/brown colour with a small size fizzy/frothy brown coloured head. I can't see much carbonation due the darkness of the beer and there is some good lacing on the sides of the glass. The head lasted for around 5 minutes.

Smell - Chocolate, coffee, malts, smoke, roasted/burnt nuts, dark fruits

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an average amount of carbonation and I can taste lots of chocolate, coffee, and some burnt/roasted nuts. There is also some smoke mixed with malts and it ends with a chocolatey burnt/bitter aftertaste.

Overall – Another fantastic beer from Bell's. It seems like it has aged very well and the booze hits you pretty hard. I would like a touch less charcoal/burnt flavour but the dark fruit notes help balance it out. A great beer.

03-02-2012 18:13:35 | More by spinrsx
LilBeerDoctor

4.55/5  rDev +7.6%

Reviewed on 5/11/08. Bottle. Pours a dark black with the most beautiful dark brown/red head, as thick as a milkshake, man I can't wait to drink this! Aroma of chocolate, coffee, roast, sweet aroma (the aroma is probably the weakest component of the beer). Flavor of similar chocolate, coffee, roast, light alcohol, sweet sweet malt with a bitter hops finish. So rich, probably one of the richest beers I've ever had. The mouthfeel is just incredible. Although it is rich, it is fairly smooth and easy to drink. The best Imperial Stout that I've had to date--just super awesome and I'm so sad we don't get this in NY.
8/5/10/5/18 (4.6/5)

12-03-2008 02:42:58 | More by LilBeerDoctor
RedDiamond

Oregon

4.13/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A seriously dark beer with a thin brown head. The flavor is a muscular mix of dense roasty elements, bitter chocolate, a welcome sweetness, and a formidable measure of alcohol. The smell touches upon mocha at first, then dry roasted goodness, alcohol, and coffee. CO2 is minimal, lace is absent.

An ambitious recipe with plenty of kick. Special thanks to cmaruschak.

05-17-2005 20:41:30 | More by RedDiamond
Jwale73

Rhode Island

3.85/5  rDev -9%

Served in a nonic. Pour was black as night. Half-inch coffee colored head quickly dissipated into a quarter-inch layer of foam that maintained decent cohesion. Consistent, sticky lacing coated the sides of the glass throughout the tasting. Strong scents of malt, coffee and alcohol. Taste similar to nose, but also extremely sugary sweet (maybe molasses); burnt taste lingers at the finish. Somewhat of a syrupy mouthfeel with a hint of carbonation. Not bad, but drinkability is somewhat compromised by the thick mouthfeel, pronounced flavor of alcohol and bitter finish that lingers in the mouth. What's weird is that I typically enjoy many of these features in an RIS, but the combination just didn't come together for me.

02-18-2008 22:33:42 | More by Jwale73
alexgash

Connecticut

100th review time. I've been hanging onto this one for awhile. I drank it's five carton mates last winter, and it was all I could do to not touch this one. This bottle was from the 2001 batch. This beer/batch is also now the number one beer on my short, but growing list. This is also my first (and last?) all "5s" beer. It pours as black as any beer or used motor oil I've ever seen. The head, which is on the smaller side, is a dark brown (probably the darkest head I have seen). Beautiful. The nose is insanely complex: chocolate, rum, raisins, plums, alcohol, oak, soy sauce, ???. I'm getting dizzy. Taste is ahhh. Big, rich dark fruity malts start off, then chocolate caramel takes over, then smoky oakiness, and then, finally, roasted bitterness. Alcohol is there, but it doesn' feel like 11.5%. Mouthfeel is thick, chewy, yet beautifully smooth. I could drink this until detox.

10-13-2003 17:26:03 | More by alexgash
hopdog

4.97/5  rDev +17.5%

Bottle and tap multiple times and more to come!

Poured a dark black with an averaged sized brown head. Aromas and tastes of mocha chocolates, roasted malts, and light bitter coffee. This is one good tasting beer. Alcohol content well hidden. Smooth and easy to drink.

11-13-2008 19:44:22 | More by hopdog
AgentZero

3.2/5  rDev -24.3%

A - Black beer that browns on the edges with a couple fingers of mocha-colored head.

S - Sweet, and slightly hot, typical RIS with chocolate and coffee notes, bit of roasted malt, caramel, and molasses.

T - Sweet, molasses and chocolate are definitely there, and it drinks a little bit boozy as well. Some roast, but it is a bit heavy on the molasses and taste a little burnt as well. It's okay, but nothing special.

M - Slightly overcarbed, but full bodied.

O - It's not a bad beer, but I've had a lot better and wouldn't really seek this out.

04-03-2011 05:10:07 | More by AgentZero
Brent

Kentucky

3.05/5  rDev -27.9%

Poured a stygian black - no light could escape the gravitational pull of this beer black-hole. A tannish head quickly fizzed about, and then departed, thereafter the beer seemed quite lightly carbonated. Aroma was sweet and creamy, boasting of highly roasted malts. Dark roasted malt flavors packed the liquid, like strong brewed coffee, without the coffee flavor. Mouthfeel was rather disconcertingly thin, which seemed out of place against the onslaught of roasted malt. Hops in the finish vied with a rather harsh alcohol flavor for control of the finishing note, with the alcohol winning out after a hard-fought battle. Overall, the flavor profile seemed out of whack for the style - a great deal of effort had gone into crafting the beer, but the final product is one which failed to win me over.

04-22-2003 07:30:32 | More by Brent
GClarkage

4.88/5  rDev +15.4%

11/24/07- Received via trade with Lou91.

Presentation- 12oz bottle with a code marked 6672 on the bottom of the back label. Not a clue what that means. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Very black in color. 3/4 inch milk chocolate colored head. Head has nice staying power. Lace streaks and spots and patchwork remain after the finish.

Smell- Strong nose of molasses, deep sweet malt, coffee, licorice and chocolate. Full house in this nose. One of the better ones out there.

Taste- Wow, this is right up there with my all time favorite tasting imperials. Huge milgled flavors of dark chocolate, roasted fresh coffee beans and mollasses. Sweet and dark like candy. Just an explosion of flavors that meld so well together. Hops are there, but come out more in the aftertaste than the actual consumption.

Mouthfeel- Creamy, viscous, extremely mouthcoating. Thick and chewy, but unlike cough syrup. Medium carbonation level with a bitter aftertaste that gets stronger and stronger.

Drinkability- Abv is noticeable, but doesn't seem like the 11.5% Seems high though. Damn I wish I could get these out here. May have to do some mail order. Top notch stuff that competes with Stone, Alesmith and a few other ones IMO. Will be doing what I can to get more of these.

11-27-2007 17:06:15 | More by GClarkage
Mebuzzard

Colorado

3.15/5  rDev -25.5%

Thanks to Knownfactor for this bottle, and two more.

Pours black, perhaps some brown edging, but overall this thing is dark. That's the good part. No head at all. I could be persuaded to say it has a collar...

Aroma is boozy up front. This takes away from the nice prune and black plum, dark chocolate and molasses aromas. Too bad.

Again, booze really hinders the flavors. I know they are there. The cocoa is thinned out and the dark, soft fruits are too soaked. It has some sharp agents, too. Anise and quick roasted malt give it a bit of a kick. This one *needs* age on it. Ok with me.

Overall a nice beer. Too boozy right now to warrant higher ratings, but it has great potential.

03-30-2011 07:14:04 | More by Mebuzzard
Brenden

4.11/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Thick and rich, this midnight-black stout looks every bit as big as the any RIS could strive to be. It's got the motor oil viscosity that makes these beers so appealing, not to mention great for cold weather. The brown head forms a solid cap between one and two fingers high with lots of density to it. It drops fairly chunky lacing rather plentifully.
The aroma doesn't pop out of this brew, but it is big. It's heady, too, some sweeter sort of rum-like booziness tempting the nostrils along with some moderately bitter, somewhat milkier chocolate, almost smoky roast, and mostly sweet dark fruits with a touch of tartness. It's almost complete, and some char tickles the nose a bit much, but this is nice regardless.
The big malts start off with sweeter notes of toffee and vanilla even as the chocolate comes in along with coffee grounds, not spent but not quite fresh. Still, this is very tasty stuff, and the alcoholic heat is kept pretty well in check as well. Char comes out with the roast in the middle, while the blend of dark fruits rounds out the finish.
Where this beer really shines is the feel. If ever I was tired of middle-of-the-road breweries brewing a medium or barely full-bodied RIS and I needed something I knew I could find, there's no question this substantial, robustly-bodied beauty would do it. It coats the tongue almost luxuriously but doesn't sit too heavy though it's seriously thick and rich. A little char adds a drying note into the finish.

12-07-2013 22:42:19 | More by Brenden
tdm168

4.18/5  rDev -1.2%

A - black and as thick as oil with a thick, short cap of brown head that sits atop this brew forever

S - licorice, dark fruit, coffee, roasted malts

T - big roasted malts, coffee, chocolate, faint dark fruit, very bitter

M - full bodied, warm, smooth, perfectly carbonated and oily

This is a really solid beer. The bitterness is a bit intense and detracts from the rest of the flavors. The overall flavor profile is impressive. Rich, chocolate, roasty, bitter coffee, underlying dark fruit -- really enjoyable. I would have this again for sure.

11-15-2012 01:25:18 | More by tdm168
maximum12

4.28/5  rDev +1.2%

Had a nip of this at the Happy Gnome Bell's night as part of a flight & knew I wanted to sit down & have a serious conversation with it, soon.

After looking in several dark corners for this bad-boy, I located it at the Big Top in the Midway, St. Paul. Why were you hiding, little buddy?

Pours with a thin brown foam, which my wife immediately commented on ("why isn't it white? That's weird!"). I think it looked very cool. Smells good to my weak nose.

Taste is borderline fantastic. A hint of coffee, which is all I like, & lacking the heaviness of a less-excellent stout that fills you up after a few sips. Very drinkable - I might even be able to down more than one per hour, which isn't the normal relationship I have with stouts.

Great beer. I'm going to try to convince my wife to hold off on trying stouts until the six-pack has been relegated to a fond memory.

03-13-2008 02:50:35 | More by maximum12
ArrogantB

Colorado

12 oz bottle received as an extra from Photekut. The color was solid midnight black with a dark brown head. The smell was doughy and heavy. The taste was doughy, syrupy, and roasty. Alcohol was not tasted but felt afterward. This was a very good RIS but I find that I am liking the style less and less. Solid beer but I didn't want more than one.

05-14-2007 15:36:10 | More by ArrogantB
JoeyBeerBelly

4.4/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

12oz bottle, received in a trade with tavernjef, served in a snifter.

A - black as the night with a light brown head that thinned to a layer, leaving spots of lacing behind.

S - molases, black licorice, espresso and bittersweet chocolate aromas fill the nose.

T - all of the aromas I listed are blended into the taste with a slightly bitter bite on the finish. The alcohol warms, but is not tasted.

M - thick and rich, very nice.

D - a most enjoyable sipper.

Final Note: not for the novice stout drinker!
thanks again, tavernjef.

11-28-2007 01:15:13 | More by JoeyBeerBelly
rudzud

4.51/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Received this a long while batch, bottle date of 8/29/12

A - Poured into my Duvel tulip a nice pitch black hue with a good quarter inch mocha head that fades to leave light wisps and a nice halo. Good legs on it too.

S - Aromas of char, nutty roasted notes, faint alcohol, flashes of dark fruit. Very, very faint hops. Awesome dark chocolate. Almost brownie like!

T - Taste is sweeter malts, chocolate, rich roast, light char. Flashes of occasional pine, alcohol is nearly nonexistant. Faint, faint bitterness. The roast malts and rich rich chocolate are really just awesome here. Not quite brownie batter, but awfully close. The nuttiness is really fun here.

M - Mouthfeel is great, just great. Maybe a hair less carbonation on the finish would make this a 5. Creamy, rich velvet, hardly any alcohol.

O - Overall, this was a very, very good beer. Glad I waited as long as I did to crack one of these, age has really mellowed out all that bitterness. Stuff is drinking so so good.

02-06-2014 00:11:33 | More by rudzud
mynie

Indiana

Completely opaque blackness with an incedibly small brown head and little lacing. Par for the course, so far as micro stouts are concerned.

Smells like a mix between soy sauce and worcestershire. Meaty with nodes of cheese and roated malt. This beer is going to be a meal.

Tastes like a good smoked porter, only without the smoke and with a tart alchol zip. Meat and potatoes upfron, salt and bread in the back. Yummy.

08-26-2005 01:15:05 | More by mynie
Bell's Expedition Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.