Bell's Expedition Stout - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Expedition StoutBell's Expedition Stout

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 5,360 | Reviews: 1,994
4.46/5  rDev +5.2%

12oz bottle (Batch 9359) poured into a tulip.

A - Black, opaque beer with two fingers of dense brown head. The head fades over the course of five minutes or so, but leaves behind intricate patterns of lace.

S - Very malt-driven nose, with roast barley, sweet chocolate, dulce de leche, molasses, anise, raisin, and plum; some faint coffee in the background. Earthy, fruity hop aromas are just noticeable.

T - Plenty of maltiness on the palate as well, though there's also a rather high level of hop bitterness complementing a roasted char character. Sweetness of chocolate, caramel, and vanilla provides balance. Molasses and espresso flavors come out as the beer warms, along with a note of sherry. The finish is long and balanced.

M - Rich, full-bodied, and viscous. Very nice.

D - A complex sipper, Expedition was a pleasure from start to finish. This is one that I'll be sure to keep around in the cellar.

4.08/5  rDev -3.8%

Expedition was a beer that I would have fairly regularly and enjoy before really getting into craft beer and one that I have not been able to try in the last three years due to my move out West. Since my palate has changed since then, I decided to fork out the money and have some Expedition shipped out.

I got my bottles yesterday and immediately cracked one open. The FexEx shipping on a crisp fall day provided the beer with a perfect temperature in which to enjoy. Poured into a pint glass, Expedition looked just how I remembered, black, with a quickly dissipating caramel colored head.

The taste was fantastic. Big malt taste and what reminds me of baker's chocolate hit me the most. The syrupy texture and low carbonation of this beer, in my opinion, lends itself to the taste as opposed to hampering it. When I got to the bottom of the glass I found myself full and delighted.

While I do not believe this to be the most accurate representation of an RIS, I do believe it to be one of the most creative ones. I am glad I have 5 more waiting for me.

4.28/5  rDev +0.9%

Bottle poured into a small snifter. This bottle has to be at least two years old right now, I could not hold out anymore. I found this to be to sweet fresh.

Bell's Expedition is a dark pitch black oily looking beer. It looks mean and tough coming out of the bottle with a gooey togetherness. Thick with staining power, don't spill this. A gorgeous dark mocha colored head rose up about an inch or more with a thickness and milkshake look on top, creamy, lasting. Coats of dirty lace on the way down.

Expe has mellowed nice in just two years time. The nose discovered Chocolate cake with enough roasted malt scent to stop a horse. Caramel and slight toffee With the roast comes some smoke and molasses. Really not getting any coffee from this, perhaps that's the 1st thing to go with time, the hops are next with minimal screen time. Just a hint of dark fruit with some figs among others. This smells great.

Big amounts of roasted malt on the palate with some smoke and sweetness. The chocolate is huge and rich, bittersweet. There is some coffee espresso with some warming. Taste with figs and molasses and just a bit of wood. Some alcohol in the back but hidden over two years. In the after, I get some soy sauce which is more noticeable cold. When fresh, this was a bit to sweet and off putting, that's not the case now, great integration.

A big bold thick feel on this one, somewhat robust, creamy and large. The feel is almost bordering on syrupy, but it goes down like a charm, what's going on here? Just a bit of alcohol after all is said and done and a touch of heat, not hot at all. Hidden very well but not 100%. The hops are not completely faded as there is some bitter sense hanging around. Sweet but subdued.

Drinkability takes a slight hit due to a high ABV, but I wont dock points for that, this is a Russian after all. Whatever I did not like about this when young (alot) is completely opposite now. I would not do more than one of these a night though and won't drink it in a bottle younger than two years. You need to take your time with this to see what it holds.

4.31/5  rDev +1.7%

A- Pours a thick and syrupy black. A moderately aggressive pour yields a dark and dense brown head that has some solid staying power.

S- Dark chocolate, burnt and heavily roasted malts, a touch of char and sweetness, also a hint of cocoa.

T- Leads with syrupy dark fruits, coffee, and dark chocolate. Midpalate has a touch of candied citrus on it and the beer finishes with caramel sweetness and piny bitterness.

M- This beer brings meaning to having a syrupy texture. It is viscous and rich. Carbonation is a bit high but the beer is young and in addition it spins out fairly easily.

D- The flavors are bit high on the high notes and ever so slightly disjointed but not to a fault. Man I can't even imagine how good this beer would be with a years plus age on it. I'm a huge fan.

2.54/5  rDev -40.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Brooklyn Brewery snifter.

A: Pours a vigorous 1 finger chocolate, medium fine head with moderate retention. Brew is opaque black with thin webby lacing that doesn't cling.

S: The color green and unripened come to mind throughout the nose. Also chocolate, hops, mellow coffee, and nutty caramel. Very grassy and too unripened.

T: Very grassy and green again throughout. Like unripened coffee beans. Also chocolate, bitter coffee, toffee, caramel, brown sugar, unripened green figs, pine, and hoppy in the finish with a punch of alcohol. Not what I expect from a RIS. Not malty and why do I taste unripened green anything?!?

M: Medium to full bodied, oily, finishes a bit dry but its clean. Rather carbonated and that really prevents the flavors from melding here. Coffee beans linger a bit in the finish.

D: Not the best interpretation of the RIS style. Its not malty enough and the carbonation in the mouth takes away from the whole picture that the different flavors try to paint. It also makes this brew less robust. Heard a lot of hype, but this one isn't for me.

3.42/5  rDev -19.3%

batch 9359 packaged 9/17/09

A: Pours an opaque black with a tight dark brown head which leaves much lacing on the walls of the glass as it fades to a thin layer.

S: Smells of rich roasted malts and coffee

T: Tastes slightly smoky off the bat. Lots of flavors going on here; chocolate, coffee, caramel. Also, piney hops are detectable in the swallow and leave a bitter aftertaste.

M: This might be the creamiest beer I have tasted yet, it almost feels as though I'm drinking cool whip. Leaves a sticky sweet coating in my mouth after each swallow. There is a slight warming character from the alcohol.

D: While I'm really digging this beer, it's just a little to thick and heavy for me to drink more than one in a sitting. It's definitely a sipper

4.62/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch #8311, 2/7/08. Poured vigorously into a Unibroue tulip to stimulate a light brown thick head atop a black body. Never had one fresh and probably never will after smelling this liquid gold. Aroma is of dark chocolate, toasted malts and the sweetness of a RIS with some age on it, and its bursting out of the glass. Beautiful smell, simply spectacular. Taste follows closely to the aroma and it should be noted how easy it is to drink this one is considering the ABV. Mouthfeel is extremely thick and almost seems chewy. Buy this one by the case and find a place to stick it for a few years. Drink from the old cases, keep buying new ones. Do it. Just do it.

4.29/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours an inky black with a rich, frumpy brown head. Smells are remarkably toasty (rather than roasty) with a dark chocolate aroma as well. The taste, on the other hand, is very roasty indeed. Big flavors of dark and burnt chocolate, with some sweet phenolic action going on. My favorite Bell's beer. Very good stuff.

4.4/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Flying Saucer Charlotte. All black pour with 1 finger brown head. More booze and bourbon in the aroma than I ever remember this having. Heavy roast, molasses as well. This is BIG this year, either that or it's just so long since I've had it on draft. Full body, thick oily mouthfeel. I could swear this was barrel aged. A large amount of oaky toffee accents the heavy roast malts chocolates and espresso. Mild hops in the bite at the finish. Not nearly as much dark fruits as I've noticed in the past and much more of this barrel like qualities. Excellent, big sipper.

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours a deep, opaque sable with a thick, fine-bubbled tan head. Smoky coffee-ish aroma has a hint of unsweetened chocolate. Flavor is smoky and surprisingly bitter, and has an undertone of chocolate and a hint of molasses. Texture is very smooth and tingly, and leaves a rather bitter aftertaste, not hoppy bitter but a tad unpleasing. Nevertheless, this is overall a darned good beer.

4.17/5  rDev -1.7%

This beer came highly recommended by a knowledgeable friend; he did not lead me astray. This is a great beer. It pours a thick and aromatic head, dark in color, as is the liquid itself. Impenetrable by light. Very deep, rich chocolaty taste that lingers. Minor detraction is that it is a bit heavy on the alchohol, but then, it is a Russian Imperial Stout, and that comes with the territory. Highly recommend the beer, another winner from Bell's.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Per the Bell's Brewery website this bottle, batch 8864, was packaged on December 4, 2008.

This stout pours a deep opaque Stygian black, like used motor oil or a moonless night in the countryside, without a hint of any light coming through when held up to a lamp. The foamy frothy head is a deep chocolate milkshake brown, lingering a while and then leaving a thick curtain of mocha lacing in it's wake as it subsides.

The aroma is of dark sweet chocolate and dark roasted malts along with an earthy grassy hop note and also just a hint of alcohol.

Wow, the flavor profile on this beer is intense. This stout slowly floods your mouth with the deep bittersweet chocolate heralded by the aroma. Chocolate on chocolate and roasted grains, topped by sweet chocolate and finishing with bitter chocolate and an alochol warmth which takes it's place. There's bitter espresso and chocolate candy bars, Hershies Kisses and caramel coffee and deep dark mysterious fruit. The alcohol warms, barely noted as a taste but as an integral intensifier of the waves of flavour inherent in this beer.

Mouthfeel is heavy, full bodied, thick and chewy but velvety smooth and creamy too. A little chalky, it's a lot like drinking a big alcoholic chocolate milkshake made with coffee.

Wow, I think I may have discovered my new favorite RIS! This is a great beer for savoring. Each sip provides a massive flood of sensory input, very nice and very warming on this first cool day and night we've had here in North Florida this year. I'm drinking this with nearly a year of aging on it, I can only imagine it with another year or so. Simply amazing!

3.78/5  rDev -10.8%

I'm drinking this one hot off the presses, just a couple weeks after it arrived on the shelves. It looks black, or at the very least a dark brown-black. Not much head to speak of and just the faintest amount of caramel-colored lace. The aroma isn't exactly weak but it's not strong. I'm definitely picking up some roasted malt and a bit of dark fruit, maybe raisins. There's also a bit of alcohol in the bouquet that carries over in the flavor and while it's not really unpleasant, it doesn't seem to add anything. I hope and assume that will mellow with age. The flavor leads with some bittersweet chocolate and a trace of a sweeter caramel. It's followed quickly and overpowered by a strong, bitter, roasted malt and coffee flavor. The raisin-ish dark fruit flavor is still around and comes through a bit more as the beer warms up and seems more noticeable on the finish. There's definitely a nice complexity to this beer that seems to attach itself to every part of my palate and it has nice mouth-coating and warming qualities. When fresh, it definitely seems to show it's youth and is quite aggressive and biting but I can definitely see this beers potential to age nicely. I'd let this one sit for six months or so at least to let it mellow out a bit and allow some of it's more subtle qualities to step forward.

4.68/5  rDev +10.4%

Pours a thick brown black that looks like used motor oil with a small brown head. Aroma is loaded with roasted hops, malts, coffee beans and molasses. Flavor is much the same with almost a cognac like note. Lots of coffee flavor on the finish with a notable alcohol burn. Nice medium full body.

3.97/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured a very dark brown with a tiny head that dissipated to the barest of collars. The aroma was chocolate, coffee and alcohol. The taste was a blend of bitter and sweet. Bitter chocolate, bitter coffee and I believe the alcohol added some harshness. Sweet from the malt. The feel was thick, viscous, heavy with light carbonation. Drinkability was average due to a high ABV and the robust flavors.

I originally sampled Expedition Stout 3 months ago and found it so strongly flavored, I could barely drink it. I decided not to review at that time, to give my palate, and the beer, a chance to mature. I am sure the beer hasn't changed that much in 3 month, but my tastes have, and I'm glad I waited. While still very strong, I can now appreciate the complexities. I bought a sixer and have four left, they are still in the cellar for at least a year. We'll see how Expedition ages.

BTW, I'm thinking my first impression of Expe Stout would have been around 2.2 to 2.5, and now is a 4.05.

3.21/5  rDev -24.3%

Pours an extreme dark brown, almost black. No head to speak of, just a light brown ring that disappears quickly. No lacing.

The smell is rather sweet from lots of chocolate along with some dark fruits (cherry, plums) & molasses. The taste is nothing like the smell--bitter citrus-like hop flavor with burnt coffee & some booziness. The lack of sweetness is a negative. Mouthfeel is kind of carbonated at first, but then ends up flat at the end; weird.

This should probably be aged to cut down on the bitter flavor. Not the most drinkable at this moment. An RIS should have some trace of sweetness. My concern is that if the carbonation goes away this quickly, it will be nonexistent with age.

4.48/5  rDev +5.7%

Purchased from the local market, single bottle. Poured into my Founders KBS snifter.

A: Dark as night. Zero and I mean zero light comes through. Pretty simply put, its real dark. Almost no head.

S: Very dark fruits, bread, earth, molasses, all of the above. Real floral stout. Slightly hoppy but not too much. Malts with real heavy character at the nose.

T: Well first off, I drank five Sam Adams' Octoberfests before drinking this so it should be a "treat." Dark bitter chocolate, coffee, toffee, sweet malts, hops, wow! One of the most complex stouts I've ever had in my life. Blows my mind every time I drink one. It's so dark, so evil, so hoppy, so bitter. I love it!

M: Real heavy! This baby leaves a coating in my mouth. Heavy mouthfeel with real nice carbonation. Very pleasant.

D: Not real drinkable but this isn't the kind of beer you sit back and drink a six pack of. If you're just drinking one 12oz bottle or maybe two, you're money. It's pretty drinkable for how heavy and complex it is.

Overall, like I mentioned earlier, one of the best stouts I've had for how bitter, heavy, and complex it is. The 11% can take a toll though. Be warned, it's a beast!

4.62/5  rDev +9%

12oz bottle. I really wasn't terribly impressed with Bells's other stouts, but this is pretty damn good stuff. I'm going to skip the beer color and go right to the head because that's really all that sets stout apart; I mean, you know it's black, right? has a good sized brown head off the bat, but settle into a solid ring of tan foam in a couple minutes. Big, vinous, chocolate, port-like aroma, with cherry and other fruity accents. Like a delectable black forest cake in a glass really. The flavor is the same rich dark chocolate with fruity, port-like complexity. You can tell that there are plenty of hops to balance the malt, but they don't really protrude at all. There is a light alcoholic bite in the finish that reminds you how strong this is and dries enough sugar off on your tongue to invite the next sip. Thick, mouth-coating body. Definitely the most balanced imperial stout that I have had to date. Amazing beer actually

4.09/5  rDev -3.5%

Bottle into red wine glass. Thanks again to Jeff (mnjeff) for the sample!

Pours impenetrable black, with almost no visible carbonation, just a thin soapy head.

Nose is roasty, with a big, hoppy acidity on top of everything. Lots of citrus, chocolate, coffee... really, really hoppy for an RIS.

Taste is excellent. Starts off with a big dose of bright, hoppy citrus acidity, bit of pine, borne on the back of a huge, chocolatey malt body with nice coffee bite. Significant resiny hop bitterness lingers on the palate, more of that big, bright citrusy acidity, this time with a stout, roasty counterpart. Reminiscent of Night Stalker, Smutty IS - well done. I can see why this is such a huge favorite to age.

Mouthfeel is great - so smooth and creamy, a light undercurrent of carbonation that lets the acidity from the hops do a lot of the work. Massive body is bigger than full.

Drinkability is mainly hurt by just how massively hoppy this beer is. Big, big bitterness works against that aspect. Still, a tasty treat.

4.05/5  rDev -4.5%

12oz bottle from batch 7205 poured into a snifter. Thanks to Aaron for this three year old bottle.

Slick black liguid with a thin collar of chocolate milk colored bubbles.

The nose is full of chocolate, raisins, dates, burnt sugar, roasted malt, booze, tobacco, some coffee.

The first sip gives me tons of roasted malts, raisins, chocolate, some maple, some vanilla. There are some slight bitter hoppy notes in the tail end and a tiny bit of soy, but it works well. It's extremely rich and filling with no harsh booziness although it is quite warming.

Mouthfeel is big and slick with moderate carbonation.

Up until now I've only had fresh Expedition because I hadn't the will power to age any longer than half a year. This is almost sublime with 3 years on it and I wish I had more. Thanks again to acme to tossing me this great aged bottle.

3.31/5  rDev -21.9%

Batch #8864

A- poured a nice dark color that any stout should be. nice tan/ light brown half finger head.

S- malty with the scent of the alcohol. i mean what do you expect with a 10.5abv stout???

T- roasted malts with the slightest coffee taste. the alcohol definitey hangs in the backend.

M- light bodied with the right carbonation i would say.

D- just a couple and i'm good.

Overall- this is one hearty beer. not so much in the full bodied but the 10.5abv. i'm not usually a stout fan but i can dig this one. like i said you could only have a couple. i recommend this to any stout fan. would be better during some freezing cold weather or a family xmas party. haha.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

both bottles reviewed were obtained in trades. not 100% sure who. maybe vwcraig for the older bottle, and jnn4v for the newer one. please feel free to correct me.

tasted side-by-side in late may 2009.

>>>>
batch# 7251 (2006)

opaque black. some red-brown tints under the light. 1-finger, brown, foamy, creamy head. fades to wisps and ring. most lacing never sticks, although a splotch here and there and a single thin ring manage to linger.

aroma: malty dark caramel, scorched sugar and chocolatey roast w coffee notes and acidity, blending w gentle fruit esters (dried cherry?) and hint of vanilla. this in turn is met by an unexpected woody, almost cedar or spruce character. blends w the damp earth tones (from hops?) and damp autumn leaves.

taste: malty and fruity characters, plus some molasses and charred sugar, meeting bitter roast and leafy-yet-still-resinous hops, giving bold bitterness. underlying faint coffee-like acidity. that unusual "woody" character again too. resinous finish, w lots of cocoa and coffee lingering into the aftertaste.

quite thick and viscous. syrupy. some smoothness, met by acidic tones and tannic astringency. mild to moderate carbonation is tingly, and helps with creamy feel.

>>>>>>>

batch# 8864 (2008)

creamier, larger head, less reddish brown in tone and more coffee-like. persists longer as well - a thin but constant creamy layer. much better lacing too.

aroma is much mellower and balanced, with none of that "wood" character from before.

flavors are similar. just more balanced overall. still hoppy and moderately roasty, with bold bitterness. just less "weird" notes, helping to give a smoother perception. less coffee in the finish but still there and pleasant.

feel is not as viscous, but still very smooth, with more balanced resins and tannins.

>>>>>

overall i feel that the age seems to bring out complexities, although not necessarily for the better. then again, it could've just been that particular batch. either way, i still think this is a great RIS.

4.45/5  rDev +5%

Had this bottle of oily goodness after Thanksgiving dinner 2008 and it was still awesome, although the BudMillerCoors-guzzling family members were not ready for it. Never had a Bells beer until then, and let me tell you, this made sure that it wouldn't be the last time I had one.

A - Black and viscous with a small tan head and decent lacing.

S - Coffee, chocolate, roast, and dark fruits.

T - Very intense and somewhat sweet with roasted malt, coffee, chocolate, black cherries, anise, and vanilla. Complex and very tasty.

M - Thick and oily. Carbonation is a little low, but not terribly so.

D - Medium and not bad for the style. Good in small servings. At least this comes in 12oz bottles so you'll never feel like you have to finish a whole bomber of this stuff.

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into an Imperial Pint. Batch #8728 - Packaged Sept. 16th, 2008. 10.5% ABV.
Thanks to Sweemzander for this one!

A - Poured with the color and near consistency of molasses it was a visible clear dark brown while hitting the glass until it was full. The result was a pitch black beer with a loose-bubbled, one-finger, milk chocolate colored head. It stayed around for a good amount of time considering the alcohol percent which left visible legs on the glass. A thin layer was left while little lacing adorned the glass.

S - Huge roasted malts pour out with out any regard for overwhelming your senses. Carried with them are a toffee and caramel with brown sugar sweetness along side a sharp, unmistakable molasses aroma. Drifting in the background is a coffee bean burnt-ness and what seems like a light hop aroma. Up front with the malts is a slightly warm boozy spice scent too. Full of brute strength yet complex.

T - You may call this a malt punch in the mouth. One of the most robust beers I've ever encountered in my beer expedition, it's heavily bitter from the roastiness with a caramel sweetness that takes the back seat to the molasses kick, coffee roast, and alcoholic boozy spice. A touch of toffee can be sampled here and there but is pretty scarce amidst the malty onslaught. Woody notes are also present as well.

M - Full-bodied in every sense of the word, it features almost no carbonation detection and coats the mouth and throat like syrup. The roasted malts give off a hefty bitterness that balances well with the sweetness and finishes with a very warm alcohol spice. The lingering alcohol kick is a bit much to finish out with in conjunction with the cocoa powder dryness.

D - While I love and respect this beer for what it is, it is not drinkable. It's thick as molasses and twice as strong but don't get me wrong; it's a great sipper for a cold winter day. Otherwise the alcohol is a bit too present for my tastes. This big beer demands all of your attention and would substitute well for a cup of coffee and breakfast in the morning, however; one is plenty. Sip slowly and enjoy for a while.

batch #8729 sept 17, 2008

pours jet black with a 1 finger tan head that left lacing all down the glass

smells of chocolate coffee and dark fruit

taste is still pretty boozy @ almost 1 year

strong sweet/bitter chocolate with the dark fruit - this one is a sipper

mouthfeel is almost perfect - good carbonation upfront that along with the alchol heat gives it a little bit - but then silky smooth

drinkability - while i would not drink more then a 12oz bottle i immensely enjoyed every sip

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Bell's Expedition Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.