Bell's Expedition Stout - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Expedition StoutBell's Expedition Stout

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bell's Expedition Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,473 | Reviews: 2,013
3.1/5  rDev -27.1%

This beer poured black with a very thin dark brown head on it with little retention and it looked really thick. It seemed to ooze out of the tap. The smell was good molasses, raisins and dates very sweet smelling. The smell was much better than the taste, it was slightly sweet in the beginning and finished very bitter. There was not much alcohol flavor for being 10.5%. It also had very little carbonation. Over it was ok because I am a fan of stouts.

3.1/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Tastes like used motor oil. If I wanted something so acrid, bitter and viscous I'dattach a funnel to the gas tank on my car. Bell's seems to have no clue how to produce a decent stout. Pretty much their entire line is an undrinkable mess. How this gets nationally distributed is unreal. Take your average home brew and it would taste like the second coming of Christ compared to this undrinkable mess.

3.1/5  rDev -27.1%

It's my birthday! Best before date 10/02/17. 10.50% ABV confirmed. 355ml brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a New Blegium goblet in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are through the roof given this beer's reputation. Acquired for $7.99 at a local beer store.

Served straight from the refrigerator but allowed to warm considerably over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

As I poured, I noticed it wasn't generating a head, so I really amped up the vigor.

A: Pours a quarter finger beautiful rich tan colour head of decent cream, good thickness, and awful retention - which is fairly excusable given the ABV, but I've seen other beers handle more than this without issue. Colour is a solid black. Not quite jet black, but dark as hell. Nontransparent and opaque, as it should be. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Coffee, chocolate, dark malts, cream, chocolate malt, caramel, roast, a bit of alcohol, and even a hint of toffee. Well balanced but not clearly focused. I'm getting excited for it. A mild strength aroma. Doesn't beat you over the head like many beers in the style.

T: Coffee, roast, intriguing chocolate, espresso, background floral hops, cacao, malty sweetness, hints of smoke, caramel, raisin, and a bit of dark fruit (maybe plum). Malty sweetness increases as it warms. No note seems particularly dominant, which is actually sort of a problem here. Without focus, it becomes messier. That's not to say it's imbalanced; the balance is only slightly off in that the flavours are too sweet. I imagine this would fade with time. I get molasses and licorice when I look for them. The flavour doesn't blow me away like I expected. It's actually somewhat disappointing. I don't get any yeast, but a bit of alcohol on the finish. There's a medicinal chocolate-covered raspberry note buried in the finish as well. It's certainly got body. I get more and more licorice as it warms. I despise licorice. Also, more raisin comes through along with the dark fruit - the best aspect of this beer. It's like the bastard child of a quad and an imperial stout, but far less enjoyable than that sounds.

The booze really warms the stomach - a bit too much.

Mf: Far too sticky for the style. Also chewy like licorice. Too smooth and wet. Outright wrong for the style; it should be coarse, dry and creamy. I'm unimpressed. This needs some work. It does have *some* dryness from the roast, but nowhere near enough. Undercarbonated.

Dr: Drinkable for the high ABV, but underwhelming within the style. I like the experimentation, but there are far better imperial stouts at this price point. I honestly wouldn't get this again unless it was aged or on draught. They need to tone down the sweetness and fix the mouthfeel. It does hide its ABV well in the taste, but not so much in terms of heat. I look forward to trying more Bell's, but this was a huge disappointment.

C+

3.12/5  rDev -26.6%

Well...I don't believe the hype...
As I opened it up and poured into my glass, I had to take a sniff to make sure I wasn't pouring old oil into my glass...
Dark almost black, thick, no carb
Aroma sweet raisin molasses
Taste too sweet, and not complex at all...I thought there might be a chocolate flavor there somewhere but the sweet molasses over took everything...not wretched but not great...
I loved the thick mouthfeel on this one, and for drinkability, I couldn't drink more than 1 at a time...

3.12/5  rDev -26.6%

Appearance: Jet black, like any good stout, but NO carbonation; not a single bubble.

Aroma: Tones of licorice, chocolate and coffee dominate. Alcohol also present.

Taste: Coffee, anise, and roasted malt help tame the noticable alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Without any carbonation, it is quite sweet and sticky. Somewhat unpleasant.

Drinkability: Dissapointing. I hope this was a bad bottle, because I just spent $14.50 on a 6-pack.

3.13/5  rDev -26.4%

Sampled from a 12oz bottle in a pint glass.

A - A deep, dark black beer with no light able to fight through it. A thick, creamy tan head.

S - Strong roasted aroma with chocolate and coffee notes.

T - Sweet, malty and syrupy. This one really caught me by surprise. I guess I've been focusing on hops and IPAs too much these days. I just couldn't enjoy this but I attribute that more to the style than the beer.

M - Very thick and chewy. A bit like cough syrup. Good moderate carbonation with lots of tiny bubbles.

D - I found this way too rich and malty to enjoy.

3.14/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Taste the alcohol too much for my taste. I had one fresh and had one after a year and a half of cellaring, both were too hot for me. I also didn't care for what I consider a string black licorice taste.

3.14/5  rDev -26.1%

A - Inky black with very little carbonation

Smell's good - molassesy with some dark fruit, caramel, maybe a hint of coffee.

Taste is bitter - more hops than I expected. Can also taste molasses, alcohol, coffee and a hint of chocolate. Rougher than I expected - it would probably be better with age to mellow it out a bit. Definite bitter aftertaste.

M - thick, but missing carbonation gives it a flat feel

D - again, lack of carbonation and bitter taste made it hard to finish the bottle

3.16/5  rDev -25.6%

first, let me say that my rating on this beer will not give it justice. if i was able to rate euphoric qualities, it would get a 5. is this absinthe? is the blue gone gray in the town with the giraffe, kill the stars! hmmm... must be absinthe, i'm losing my mind!

when i poured this beer, took a look, took a sniff, and took a drink; i came to one conclusion-too much of everything. except carbonation! show me the ghost that stole this beers bubbles and i'll cut him! (sorry thats the beer talking)

i was not impressed by the first one i drank. i saved the other five for my day off. after getting over that first impression and knowing what to expect, i very much enjoyed my session with this beer.

3.16/5  rDev -25.6%

Poured into a pint glass vigorously to help generate head this beer is dark black syrupy in color with a pinky of quickly vanishing tan foam. Dark roasted malt comes through in the nose along with hints of coffee, chocolate and date. The flavor is first of dark malt, with similar notes as the scent. The mouthfeel does not remind me of a stout, as it is claimed on the label. It is clinging and syrupy.

I was a little disappointed in this brew after many excellent beers from Bell's.

3.16/5  rDev -25.6%

Thanks to Knownfactor for this bottle, and two more.

Pours black, perhaps some brown edging, but overall this thing is dark. That's the good part. No head at all. I could be persuaded to say it has a collar...

Aroma is boozy up front. This takes away from the nice prune and black plum, dark chocolate and molasses aromas. Too bad.

Again, booze really hinders the flavors. I know they are there. The cocoa is thinned out and the dark, soft fruits are too soaked. It has some sharp agents, too. Anise and quick roasted malt give it a bit of a kick. This one *needs* age on it. Ok with me.

Overall a nice beer. Too boozy right now to warrant higher ratings, but it has great potential.

2007 Version

Poured from a 12oz bottle, Pitch Black with ¼ inch dark tan/light brown head. Smell of carmel/toffee malts, coffee with hops in the background. Totally black with no light able to show thru. Heavy, heavy lacing. Strong coffee taste of espresso along with a lot of hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is creamy.

Not my favorite of this style. The hop bitterness does not balance well with the rich malts and coffee. It's a clash, like an unhappy marriage. Why can't they get along? This beer is also not as complex as others in this style.

3.18/5  rDev -25.2%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

A: Very dark pour. Black with a brown head.

S: Roasted malt, coffee, and a hint of chocolate.

T: Very heavy and bitter. Malts and coffee.

M: Thick with little carbonation.

D: Uh-huh. This must be an acquired taste.

3.18/5  rDev -25.2%

Picked this beer up at Dirty Johns in Iowa City, IA. Beer pours a dark black color with a thick dark brown head. Smell is of roasted malts and caramel. Flavor of chocolate, malts, coffee, and carmel. Very intense flavor and very intense beer. Not sure if I was ready for this one yet.

3.2/5  rDev -24.7%

Found this at the Cracked Kettle in Amsterdam.

From a bottle into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: Pours a small medium-looking mocha colored head that quickly recedes to a ring and a really faint wisp. Not as thick as expected coming out of the bottle. Jet black body in the glass with no carbonation evident. A ring remains but leaves no lacing down the glass. Average at best here.

SMELL: Mild nose of roasted malts, milk chocolate and smoked meat. I pick up some smoked salami even. Very different and interesting, but not bold enough to stand out.

TASTE: Much bigger than the nose. Roasted malts, smoked malts, and licorice. Strong flavors of smoked and salted salami. Finish is bitter-sweet, with caramel and bitter coffee notes, along side some hints of smoked meat again. Aftertaste is bolder and lingers nicely on the palate. An odd flavor that I'm not quite sure about, but an intrigued enough to continue

PALATE: Medium body and medium carbonation. Starts out a little airy, but as it sits, it thickens up a bit. Eventually turns relative creamy smooth on the palate, and goes down fine finishing slightly dry. Fine for the style.

OVERALL: Not sure what to think about this one. The appearance and nose were average for the style, but the addition of some kind of smoked salami was odd yet enticing at the same time. I'm not sure if this was intentional, but I enjoyed it enough that I'd buy it again if I came across it again. Definitely not a standard Imperial Stout offering.

3.2/5  rDev -24.7%

A- It appears to be a stout. Very little head, but even the head is dark

S- Chocolate and coffee with an oatmeal taste

T- No oatmeal in the taste. Chocolate and coffee are both obvious. The coffee flavor is a main part of the aftertaste, but is "burnt"

M- buttery and heavy

O- It tastes like someone burned popcorn and then tried to brew coffee, but burned that, and then put it in a beer.

(this is a 2 year old sample, from 2010)

3.21/5  rDev -24.5%

Pours an extreme dark brown, almost black. No head to speak of, just a light brown ring that disappears quickly. No lacing.

The smell is rather sweet from lots of chocolate along with some dark fruits (cherry, plums) & molasses. The taste is nothing like the smell--bitter citrus-like hop flavor with burnt coffee & some booziness. The lack of sweetness is a negative. Mouthfeel is kind of carbonated at first, but then ends up flat at the end; weird.

This should probably be aged to cut down on the bitter flavor. Not the most drinkable at this moment. An RIS should have some trace of sweetness. My concern is that if the carbonation goes away this quickly, it will be nonexistent with age.

3.21/5  rDev -24.5%

A - Black beer that browns on the edges with a couple fingers of mocha-colored head.

S - Sweet, and slightly hot, typical RIS with chocolate and coffee notes, bit of roasted malt, caramel, and molasses.

T - Sweet, molasses and chocolate are definitely there, and it drinks a little bit boozy as well. Some roast, but it is a bit heavy on the molasses and taste a little burnt as well. It's okay, but nothing special.

M - Slightly overcarbed, but full bodied.

O - It's not a bad beer, but I've had a lot better and wouldn't really seek this out.

3.21/5  rDev -24.5%

Thank you once again to beerisheaven for this one. The appearance is nice inky with a nice sark tan head. Smells like a traditional RIS to me, chocolate, coffee, and malt. Nothing different there. The taste is unlike any RIS I have ever had. Molasses, malts and a bit of chocolate make up the initial taste. Then Bitter hits my tongue and takes over. All I can taste now is the bitter from some unknown source. I think a little age would do wonders for this beer. The mouthfeel is smooth, velvety and a bit creamy. I could not drink another of these right now. It just is way to bitter for me. I would love to try an aged and brand new one side by side, but for now ugh.

3.21/5  rDev -24.5%

12oz bottle (cheers to IdrinkGas), warmed slightly from fridge temperature and poured into my Chimay goblet.

The beer pours absolute black, with a two finger dark coffee head. It quickly dissipates halfway and just sits at a finger in height for a long time. A little bit more lacing would have garnered Expedition Stout a five. The smell is of dark chocolate (good) and some black licorice (not as much). As long as the flavor pulls more from the former than the latter I think I'll still dig it. Well, I got my wish, but this beer is *very* rough around the edges. The dark chocolate overpowers the licorice, after an opening dollop of caramel, but there's a harsh graininess and a bitterness that I want to say comes from hops, but there's no accompanying hop flavor. I was ready to score the flavor lower, but it did smooth out some as the beer hit room temperatureIt's a shame too, because the mouthfeel on this beer is great, a chewy and luxurious body and carbonation that's just a tiny bit too high for my taste. The poor taste really hurts drinkability, but the beer gets some credit for effectively masking any alcohol. I'd never had Bell's beer that was less than top notch until Expedition Stout, but I'm glad I got to try and I'd like to try this beer with a few years on it to see if it smooths out.

3.22/5  rDev -24.2%

The last time I drank this beer, it was called Robitussin. Seriously.

Poured a deep, purple-black with zero head. It's Valvoline in a bottle, baby -- viscous doesn't even begin to describe this. In fact, there's no carbonation in this beer at all. Low carbonation seems normal enough for a stout, sure. But this is just flat.

Anyhow, the aroma is mostly derived from the high alcohol content -- rubbing alcohol, pine needles, raisins (or grapes?). The taste is the lone redeeming factor of this beer but even then, I rate it highly only because of its complexity. I think this beer is actually kind of poorly balanced, and the alcohol flavor is way too overpowering. I generally dig high-abv beers -- trappists, barleywines, even Sam Adams Triple Bock. But this just didn't do it for me. If you don't drink this nearly ice cold, the flavor -- like many overdone American microbrews -- just overpowers any semblence of balance. And having so little carbonation in this really hurts the texture and feel.

Naturally, I couldn't see myself having more than (n)one of these -- at most. I have a pretty wide range of tastes for beer, but this one just didn't fit into it.

3.24/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

This is an overrated beer, a real let down for me.

The *amount* of flavor is the only thing it has going for it. Poured into glass from 12 oz. bottle, with no head until dumped very hard at the end, and it quickly dissipated, although with some lingering lace--very light tan, not at all dark for an imperial stout.

The scent was on par for a regular stout, but with more alcohol, burnt raisins, and roastiness, characteristic of Russian imperial stouts. The taste was very strong and full, about the only thing that distinguishes this beer. Way too sweet, though.

The mouthfeel was no good--far too creamy and very low carbonation, and this begets low drinkability. In all, a decent beer--I'd be impressed to find a beer this good at any unknown microbrewery--but this is in no way deserving of the honor of a top 100 beer, nor is it on par with other offerings from Bell's, such as its simple, well-crafted Two-hearted Ale.

Most egregious, however, is the price at $15/6 pack. There are way better options for as low as $9-$11 in this category alone (especially Victory and Thirsty Dog). This is one Expedition I probably won't be making again.

3.25/5  rDev -23.5%

A- just black, thats all. not really anything for head.

S- cardboard or paper, dark chocolate, not much else.

T- just about how it smells, with a coffee aftertaste and a bit of booze mixed in.

M- very thick and chewy. just how it should be. basicly nothing as far as carbonation goes.

D- i really dont see the appeal to this one and think that bells is capable of much more. i wouldnt want to attempt more than one in a sitting, and probably wouldnt reach for this one again. ill retry it when i know that its fresh because the cardboard taste might be oxidation? oh well, glad i got the chance to try this one finally.

edit: it grew on me as the beer warmed. maybe i just had it too cold? regardless, i need to give this one another chance.

3.26/5  rDev -23.3%

Timing is, again, everything. I was really looking forward to this beer, as it is one of the top-rated in the world. However, I found that it is NOT the beer for a hot summer’s night. Great aroma of very sweet malty chocolate and carmel. The taste follows suit, and at first was enjoyable. However, by mid glass, the beer seemed to get thicker and sweeter, and by the end, the alcohol was leaving a very warming sensation and it was like drinking a sweet thick syrup. I intend to pick up another bottle of this when I’m in the midwest, and next time drink it on a cold winter’s night, maybe as an after-dinner drink.

3.26/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Was expecting so much from this beer, considering it's high ranking and glowing review (and gift!) from my neighbors. Perhaps I just don't care for this style, but I found it way to syrupy. The malt profile doesn't seem to balance out the beer at all, and I found myself making terrible faces every time I took a sip. It's a cross between coffee and cough syrup, in my opinion. Not my favorite. The appearance however, is lovely!

Bell's Expedition Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.