1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bell's Expedition Stout - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Expedition StoutBell's Expedition Stout

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 4,114 | Reviews: 1,856 | Show All Ratings:
trumick

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours black very little light penetrates if at all. There is very little head that hangs around for a bit with nice lacing all around.

Smell is of sweet molasses, burnt coffee, dark fruits and chocolate.

Taste is right on with the nose burnt coffee, sweet dark malts chocolate and hops. It finishes dry and with a nice burnt coffee dark bitter chocolate that goes on froever. There is an alcohol taste. I can tell it is there, almost overwhelming, it's also warming.

Mouthfeel is smooth and full bodied, robust with just the right amount of carbination, I would even call it creamy.

Drinkability would be great but for the abv. The abv. is too noticeable. It stands out and that puts it lower on the drinkability scale.

11-18-2004 04:26:37 | More by trumick
bashiba

Iowa

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours completely black with a a thin dark tan head.

Smells of Burnt Coffee, Dark Chocolate, and heavy toffee flavors.

Taste is great, dark expresso flavor with heavy amounts of chocolate with a sweet toffee maltyness breaking through and finishing with a suprisingly strong amount of hops that really balance this beer out very well.

Mouthfeel is a thick motor oil like consistancy, seems to run down your throat with the speed of lava, I had to stop and chew a couple times. Plus the ABV lends to a nice fuzzy tongue tingling. Fantastic.

Drinkability is very good for a beer on this scale of big and bold. Highly recommended.

11-03-2004 04:30:36 | More by bashiba
walleye

4.03/5  rDev -4.7%

I had this beer before and did not like it but wanted to give it another try, I am glad I did. this was a very good beer going to have to buy some more that said I don’t know if I got a bad bottle but got no head no lacing.poured black.aroma got malts,molasses, chocolate and licorice.Flavor got same as aroma with a nice taste of alcohol and fruit like plums,raisins.liked the finish that sweet bitterness I am getting to enjoy.

10-28-2004 19:25:59 | More by walleye
meathookjones

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

The poured out an opaque ink black with a huge brown head I had to sip to keep from spilling over the glass. Great retention and chunks of lace left decorating the glass as I consumed this. Aroma is thick with dark chocolate and roasty coffee as well as a touch of fruit and some other unidentifiables. I will have to try and figure out more with my other bottle. The flavor was similar with a strong chocolate taste and notes of roasted malt and espresso. Dark fruits were also in the mix as well as some earthy hops. The finish was a mixed of roasted malts, hop bitterness and a slight alcohol bit. Excellent all around flavor that I couldn’t ask any more of. Mouthfeel is full and creamy. Damn good drinkability here. Great all around Russian Imperial Stout that is near the top of my favorites.

10-26-2004 15:20:10 | More by meathookjones
TastyTaste

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

Pours a slick motor oil jet black into a Schell's snifter. Smells richly of black coffee and bitter chocolate. Alcohol is present but not prevelent. Taste is full of rich coffee and dark chocolate flavors. The taste is excellent, however, not acidic, whatsoever. Hops bitterness combined with the high ABV makes this awesome beer what it is. Probably the best Imp Stout I've ever had.

10-24-2004 19:40:15 | More by TastyTaste
swid

Missouri

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

Pours very thick and syrupy...deep brown to black. Carbonation nearly nonexistant. A 2" brown head forms; fades after about 10 minutes or so.

Chocolate and caramel notes are prominent in an overall sweet, malty aroma. Along with the chocolate and caramel, a coffee flavor dominates this beer. A surprisingly light mouthfeel; slightly bitter on the palate, feels like a light syrup on the back of the mouth/throat, finishes fairly clean. The high ABV of this beer is masked very well, much more so than other strong beers I've had in the past.

Overall, a decent imperial stout, and a beer worth trying or breaking out every once in a while. However, I wouldn't go out of my way to track down another one.

Thanks to mdinges for the bottle!

09-29-2004 07:44:03 | More by swid
Rastacouere

Quebec (Canada)

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%

Pitch black motor-oil when pouring, a mirror to any trace of light adventurous enough to try to get through. Superb chocolate brown 1-inch head, long-lasting and displaying awesome lacing, foamy, sticky like it came nitro-pushed. Very rich malt aroma, satisfyingly bittersweet with tons of molasses, dark belgian chocolate over home-made cookies, dark european bread, torrefied coffee with two creams. Subtle fruitiness (plums, blackberries), just as subtle complementing hops as I love them, piney and obvious hints of smoke. Very complex, but still not overly envelopping in the aroma department. In mouth though, this is a very intense experience, contemplative flavour development with the typical Bell’s milky aspect although there’s almost no sweetness here. Just great smoked chocolate. Multi-dimensional spicy hoppy aftertaste, piney, bitter and very long. Carbonation was much more generous than I was lead to believe from other reviews, it’s just perfect here and I think I’d have enjoyed it less or found it a bit less lively if it hadn’t been for a little tongue-cleaning carbonation to entertain such a thick body. Holy Crap, totally dominant monument that I never expected to enjoy all that much and I’ll admit liking some sweetness in my beers and not being a fan of hopfests. Once again, Raindog is the gentleman to be thanked and re-thanked.

09-27-2004 15:19:28 | More by Rastacouere
wyllder

First off: thanks go out to deejaydan for the chance to sample this.

Pours an opaque chocolate-black with a small caramel colored head.

Nose is a mix of dark fruits, chocolate & sweetbread. Very nice.

Taste is bittersweet on the front of palate. Just a bit too salty for me. Hints of chocolate are here and make the finish nice.

Mouthfeel is good.

Drinkability suffers from, IMO, a bit too much of a salty character.

Overall, a solid interpretation of the style by not quite up there with Stone & Siberian Night for me.

Wyll-

09-20-2004 14:29:02 | More by wyllder
FormatKid

Tennessee

I received this beer as a part of BIF XII and have to admit this was the one I was most excited about. I’m glad it made it all the way to me.

The packaging is a standard 12oz bottle and I poured this into my La Trappe goblet. The body of this beer is blacker than blackity-black y’all, nothing more can be said. A dense and rather creamy head rolls up impressively especially for a beer of this girth and alcohol content. The head is the color of creamed coffee.

The nose is surprisingly sweet, and inviting. Alongside the standard stout aromas of burnt caramel, dark roasted coffee, and charred malt, I pick up sweeter scents of vanilla, ripe dark fruits, and berry, tons of berry is in the nose on this brew. Further inspection also reveals a sophisticated woody aroma.

First of all this is the thickest beer on the palate I have ever experienced. From the first sip it coats your mouth and just hangs around lovingly not letting you forget the sweet flavor for a second. If you let it sit in your mouth it brings on a milkshake like mouthfeel, you’ll be spitting black malt residue like you’ve been chewing tobacco. That being said the flavor is even more elegant and assertive than I would have ever imagined. I taste so many things as I drink it and ponder. Chocolate covered cherries, tons of berries again, bitter baker’s chocolate, espresso, and vanilla. The finish of this is a duel between charred malt flavors and stunning hop bitterness so arrogant you almost feel inferior. The alcohol only registers with a slight vinous flavor note and small burn in the back of my throat.

This beer is amazing and has absolutely bowled me over like no beer has yet. I cannot fathom taking points away for anything so here it is…my first perfect score.

09-13-2004 23:19:00 | More by FormatKid
Bruiser81

Kansas

This beer just looks yummy on the pour. Very dark black, with no light getting through. A huge two finger head that is the darkest creamiest head I've seen yet. Excellent lacing
The aroma is nice, mostly dark usweetened chocolate,small amounts of coffee and tons of roasted malt.
The flavor is familiar in all the higher quality stouts. Same ones only in different amounts. This one seems to have a major roasted barley thing happening, not overpowering though. Small hints of carmel and coffee same as the smell. A slight kick of hops later towards the finish, just enough.
Very creamy full bodied beer
Probably wouldn't be able to drink more than two.
A delicious beer. I believe I need to thank pheloniousmonk for this trade that was done over a year ago. So this has to have some age on it. Thanks brother.

09-11-2004 01:29:19 | More by Bruiser81
oxmasterscream

Poured an opaque dark brown, nearly black, with a small, thick brown head. The aromas this beer gave off were nothing short of mouthwatering... all very desert-like, predominantly raisins and chocolate, with some sweet spices thrown in, but some deeper whiffs revealed smells of a dark raisin cake, oatmeal raisin cookies, even maraschino cherries. Taste was just as huge... obviously, a big malty flavor right off the bat with some cascade hoppiness. The tastes of all things present in the aroma coat your tongue – burnt malts, raisins, chocolate, dark and sour fruits like cherries, baking spices and a slight alcohol burn on the tongue and throat, then a bitter coffee-like finish that is unbelievable. The mouthfeel is thick and syrupy like it should be. This is a top-notch Imperial Stout.

09-03-2004 18:39:36 | More by oxmasterscream
Shaw

4.13/5  rDev -2.4%

This beer was part of the second batch of Bell's beer my friend's girlfriend brought down to Florida from her home in Indiana. Thank you Anna and Adam for sharing. And Anna, this elevates you to goddess status in my eyes.

This looks just like an imperial stout should: super black with a dark brown head. It has a roasted smell that competes with malt aromas.

The taste is heavy on roasted flavors and unfermented sugars. It is sweet, but well balanced with bitter flavors. This is one of the more subtle Russian Imperial Stouts I've had. It doesn't knock you over the head like Rogue's. Maybe you could call this the thinking man's imperial stout?

I really like its mouthfeel. It's huge. It's got more back than a Sir Mix-A-Lot song. It's got a better body than Jane Mansfield. It's ... well, you get the point.

This is a drinkable stout, despite the high ABV. Check it out.

08-30-2004 07:18:45 | More by Shaw
StuFox

4.88/5  rDev +15.4%

This is a beer so dark not even light can escape it's surface. The singularity of stouts. Delicious. The Expedition Stout has a crazy array of spices that are balanced very well against the maltiness. Any thicker and you would spread mustard on it and place ham and cheese between it. My whole dinner never went down so smooth. This is a great beer that all but has to be used as the measuring stick for other stouts of this league.

08-26-2004 18:21:15 | More by StuFox
GuinnessSmurf

Missouri

4.9/5  rDev +15.8%

I'm pretty sure that a beer doesn't get any darker than this. This beer looks so good that I fear it - (fear that a 6pk was not enough). A low ring of thick condensed head circles the glass.

The smell is has cocoa malts, alcohol, and scotch.

The taste is amazing - very full bodied. The pallette is massaged with coffee, butter, dark bitter chocolate, toffee and a dark alcohol flavor. Yum.

Drinking this beer is like pounding a pint of super rich icecream. You know that you shouldn't but there is no way you are going to stop short of finishing it.

Every sip was as good as it gets.

08-25-2004 19:02:34 | More by GuinnessSmurf
IrishRedRock

4.13/5  rDev -2.4%

Thick, viscous and black with a large tan head that quickly drops down to a thin lace. Had to force the head with a very hard pour. Rich chocolatey nose with the pungent cascades shining through. The alcohol is very very well hidden in both aroma and flavor. Wouldnt have guessed nearly 12% by volume. Nice burnt flavor with a good smacking of hops and roasty malts, but not as aggressive as some of its American Imperial counterparts. Mouthfeel is rich and smooth...quite seductive. Jack up the complexity and this one is a classic; nonetheless, Bell's has done an excellent job with this offering.

08-09-2004 03:19:11 | More by IrishRedRock
faernt

4.58/5  rDev +8.3%

I looked at my reviews and, diggy doo, I haven't reviewed one of my stalwarts. It pours with a pleasant head and a little bit of white on top of the cappucino. I have no idea how they do this but I'm thrilled when it happens.
It's very dark brown in this glass. I don't get much smell, (escuze me!) The taste is what I want in an Imperial. The mouthfeel is seriously thick and chocolatey. This beer is drinkable. I keep it around all year.

01.04.07

Each year I put back a bottle or two of Expedition Stout. Initially, I wrote the year date on the crown cap and thanks now to the Bell's site I can look for bottling dates for the batches. Tonight, as I was reading posts on the site I read one about oldest beers. I have a bottle of 1999 Expedition in the cellar and now it's open and in a chalice beside me. It poured still as expected. The aroma is chocolate and port. The taste is raisins and port with a nutty bitterness like English walnuts. The flavors are beguilingly blended. The hops are subdued into the blend. This is a silky delight. I urge any fan of this beer to go for the long aging. It's beyond any old beer I've had.

08-01-2004 04:26:44 | More by faernt
mattcrill

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a mighty impressive brew!

Appearance: Pours flat and thick. A foamy head appears with some agitation on the pour. The head is brown with ruby edges. Nearly flawless.

Smell: This is where it missed for me. I couldn't pick up anything. I had to practically bury my nose in this beer to pick up anything. A hint of smoke was about the only thing I could get. Glad I didn't judge this brew soley on the basis of smell.

Taste: Here we go....sweetness, dried fruits, vanilla, espresso. All the cool things you would expect from an Imperial Stout. I didn't even notice the high ABV and I was in fact suprised when I saw how high it was. Certainly didn't pick up any of that in this brew. Just the slightest hint of a dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Thick and creamy. A meal for your palate!

Drinkability: I could see myself going through a lot of these but since I bought a single, I'll have to wait for more. This truly lived up to expectations. I put this up there in my "Top 5" for RIS (I know, who cares?? I do!)

A must sample for all who venture in to this style...

07-31-2004 19:15:33 | More by mattcrill
jayb

Iowa

4.4/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This syrup poured out as black as night into the glass. when pouring it almost looked like oil, as far as its thickness. started with no head but as i finished pouring a nice chocolate milk colored, 2 fingered head appeared....then settled to a film. lacing was ...decent. a very lovely beer to behold while the head remained. smell was of sweet chocolate, burnt malts, and what my sister described as "soy sauce".
Taste: gee whiz. what a powerful brew. Most probably wouldnt think so as much as i, but from this was probably the strongest brew ive had in my limited experience. Taste was of chocolate, coffee, and a very roasty, burnt taste that lingered in the mouth. with such a sweet nose on this, the bitterness is a suprise, and a welcome one. Hint of candy flavoring, toffee and butterscotch? weird for me, id never expect that in a beer. wow, that burnt taste, as well as the bitterness keeps kicking me in the teeth! Toasty, just like my stomach. definite warming effect in my gut. Alcohol level is high but isnt a prevailent characteristic. mouthfeel is FULL and lovely, thickest ive had (I imagine not the thickest there is though) For my first imperial stout experience im a overcome with joy... and the roasted bitterness. Delightful. drinklability is low just for the fact that i could in no way drink more than two of these in an evening. Mighty tasty! Again i say, gee whiz, what a powerful brew.

07-19-2004 06:33:51 | More by jayb
noclue

4.7/5  rDev +11.1%

Serving Type: 11.2 ounce bottle served in matching tulip/snifter.

Appearance: Pours a thick pitch-black liquid. Tall brown creamy head that dies quickly. Decent lacing.

Smell: chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, faint whiff of hops.

Taste: Brutally harsh malty sweetness. Sweet and fruity up front, but the coffee comes kicking up from behind. Pleasantly bitter finish that lingers on and on. High alcohol content is noticeable, but not overwhelming.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, Smooth, and syrupy.

Drinkability/Overall: This is definately a brew to sit back, relax, drink slowly, and enjoy. Let the temperature come down a bit to enjoy some subtle changes. Maybe even stow some away in the cellar. I must say that this is the best Imperial Stout I have come across. A real treat!

07-19-2004 02:14:23 | More by noclue
GCBrewingCo

4.78/5  rDev +13%

The beer poured pitch black with slight ruby highlights. The head was brown and rose huge as the beer was poured and fell slowly to lace the glass.

The aroma was chocolate, coffee and caramel with a huge dark fruit aroma in tow.

The flavor was excellent with well bittered chocolate and coffee flavors and dark fruits with hints of alcohol. Very complex and interesting.

The finish was dry with chocolate and coffee and alcohol warming. The body was full and the mouthfeel was well rounded and smooth.

12 ounce bottle smuggled past the NC 6% limit by AKSmokedPorter. The label on the bottle is upside down...

07-15-2004 01:01:28 | More by GCBrewingCo
mobyfann

2.55/5  rDev -39.7%

Paid $2.99 for a 12oz. single

The appearence is a thick black bace with a thin if any brown head that doesn't last and the lacing is hard to find. The aroma is pretty good of roasted chocolate and coffee.

The taste was mixed personality, the thickness of the beer I didn't like, so I lowered mouthfeel down, the taste is a bit too strong, as not well defined, I really didn't find anything to special in this department. It's kind of drinkable but I didn't enjoy finishing my glass...

Final Thought: Extremely high expectations down the drain, almost literally, I don't know if this is common in high alcholic stouts, or if I had a bad bottle or what, I can't believe this is a Kalamazoo BC product... love their porter and double cream stout, but this was below par...

06-21-2004 02:44:32 | More by mobyfann
psyco1

4.08/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This is strong beer.

It comes out of the bottle black and thick as I think beer can get. Not much of a head at all and while tilting the glass, it coats the side like bubbly paint.
Can you roast alcohol? That's what it smells like, roasted barley, chocolate, coffee and a heaping helping of alcohol.
The taste... a bit of alcohol, roasty and a bit of sweet then ending bitter. Not unpleasant, just more of everything that most stouts are known for.
It coats the mouth like it coats the inside of the glass, almost like oil.

I gave it a lower mark on drinkability because I'd only drink one or maybe two before moving on to something else a little less "stout".

06-13-2004 00:19:07 | More by psyco1
shapudding

4.65/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured an amazingly dark chocolate brown, almost blackish.... Great thick and creamy head reduced down to about one finger of luscious caramelly beige lovleyness. This is a beauty to look at, perfection marred by the tons of large pieces of sediment throughout. Scents of chocolate, toffee, sassafrass...roasted yumminess.... So great and creamy, wonderful mouthfeel. Tastes so dark and yummy... Chocolate, very dark black coffee, burnt toast, grapefruit. Light carbination. Very good and one I could sit back and handle a damn few in a sitting. Good amount of thickness to it, but not so it is too heavy. Very great stout. Love this one!

06-10-2004 01:22:03 | More by shapudding
ppoitras

4.53/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle obtained via trade with CRJMellor. Thanks for the opportunity...

Poured into an imperial pint glass, WOW, some almost nitro action from a CO2 bottle beer, weird, but cool. Formed a thick, frothy 2" chocolate-hued head above a dark, dark brown/black brew. Head lasts more or less forever, and laces like you wouldn't believe. Aroma is is of heavy grains and malts, but not the bitterness that is usually associated with such a constructed brew. Heavy malts dominate the flavor, but their bitter ness seems to hide behind their sweetness, and make for an easy drinking brew, considering the heaviness and alcohol strength that is hiding somewhere in there... Mouthfeel is excellent, and drinkability is dangerously high for such a brew. An amazing phenom of brewing construction, this one is.

06-08-2004 02:48:27 | More by ppoitras
blitheringidiot

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

BELL'S Imperial Stoudt pours out as a typical all black non see-thru pour with a dark tan clingy head that slides down the glass.

Black cherry and toasted wheat bread scents with a malty nosed essence.

Taste of a super roasted capucino flavor. Dark caramel leads to a carbonationless thick almost cocoa milkshake style bodied creamy.

Aftertaste: Dark ice cream like body. Burnt waffles.

Last swigs: Rather surreptitious looking plain bottle 'wolf in a sheeps clothing' style label. 12 fl oz 355 mL dark brown glass bottle. Quote: an incredible balance of strength and beauty, …”
Here goes: Part of a 6 style x 4 each case for $58 smackers + 6% PA tax thanks to Beeryard in Wayne, PA.

Beer is good.Happy strong beering.

05-23-2004 09:05:28 | More by blitheringidiot
Bell's Expedition Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.