Bell's Expedition Stout - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Expedition StoutBell's Expedition Stout

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
thecarster1

3.48/5  rDev -17.7%

a- bottle poured into a nonic pint, dark, thick pour, two fingers head fade to even layer of lacing.

s- lots to the nose, raisins hit first - liquored soaked, dark chocolate and black coffee, alcohol here.

t- lots of roast and flavor here, some liquor soaked raisins, a smoky flavor, dark burnt chocolate, dark black coffee, some alcohol turnes to more alcohol as it warms.

m- huge, thick and creamy.

d- this is a sipper for a nice cold night, it wasn't as wonderful as i was expecting but certainly drinkable, and I won't have any trouble drinking the remaining single i have on hand - might throw in in the cellar for a year or so.

03-06-2011 01:12:55 | More by thecarster1

SaisonRichBiere

03-02-2013 00:35:26 | More by SaisonRichBiere
chanokokoro

3.65/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter

A: Dark tan two finger head, oily black beneath.

S: Smells of roasted malt, raisins, chocolate, and anise.

T: Slight chocolate roasted malt finishing in a pleasant burnt light caramel sweetness accented by the heat from the abundant alcohol.

M: Viscous and very creamy especially for an RIS. Appropriate level of carbonation.

O: A solid offering. I wish the flavors were just a bit more bold and robust.

02-28-2012 04:45:14 | More by chanokokoro
mythaeus

02-26-2014 15:53:21 | More by mythaeus
dspinler

04-10-2014 03:22:19 | More by dspinler
orfeu

New Mexico

4.85/5  rDev +14.7%

Knowing that I've got six more of these scheduled for delivery tomorrow (along with several other awesome MI brews, courtesy of BA hoppymeal), I decided to crack open this bottle I received in a trade from BA nflmvp last summer. Poured into a 17-ounce snifter, Expedition Stout is viscous and tar-black. The ghost of a coffee-colored foam cap appears for a brief moment, then is gone, leaving only a nascent tan ring around the glass. Deep chocolate aromas emerge at first sniff; then scents of dark Bing cherries soaked in anejo rum along with a slight coffee aroma as well as a heady cabernet character. The taste starts off with bitter Belgian chocolate bar flavors -- at least 75% cocoa -- and dark fruits (plums, cherries, blackberries) all drunkenly swimming in a bourbon bath. Then -- and this is my favorite part -- there is the most wonderful roasted coffee finish, thick and damn near burnt it's roasted so dark. Lovely vinous aftertaste. Appropriately heavy on the palate, but incredibly silky overall. Low carbonation, dryness from alcohol content, but the booze has melded nicely (I think this bottle may be a little over a year old). This is the first Russian Imperial Stout I've had in a few months, and I certainly feel welcomed back home. Bell's brewed the hell out of this one. Easily one of the finest representations of the style in the world. Exceptional.

10-05-2006 03:22:17 | More by orfeu

bifrost17

Washington

4.14/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. bottle poured into a Bells tulip (October 2012 vintage) 9 months old.

A: Couldn't ask for anything better. I wish I could post a picture in this review of how perfect it looks. Jet black, but not menacing...beautiful...? Awesome mocha colored 2 1/2 finger head with a vigorous pour into the tulip. Head subsides pretty quickly but leaves some awesome lacing behind.

S: So much going on in the nose. Booze, bitter espresso, roasted malts, chocolate, floral hops, and dark fruits are the prevailing scents that I pick up.

T: The taste is a little strange up front. Sourness initially, but after that it's damn near perfection. Dark chocolate notes on the middle of the tongue, and then the beer finishes with an intense espresso like bitterness from the blend of hops and roasted malts. Leaves a lingering flavor of dark chocolate and espresso in my mouth. Amazing.

M: Not too much to say about the mouthfeel, other than it's ideal. Smooth soft creamy silky goodness. Moderate (perfect) carbonation.

O: The first time I ever had this beer was a fresh bottle about 9 months ago. I enjoyed it, but thought it was a little bit of a mess, kind of all over the place, but now, after only 9 months of aging I see the potential that this beer possesses. When Bells states that this beer was designed with aging in mind they weren't kidding. I can only imagine this beer getting better and better with age. What a beautiful beer. I almost wish I lived somewhere in the Midwest so I could load up on this stuff when its in season, but at least my trading buddy in Chicago can send me it during the winter months. Anyways, final thoughts on Expedition...AGE THIS BEER! Can't wait to see what a few years does to this masterpiece.

10-29-2012 17:27:44 | More by bifrost17
ngandhi

4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

Chocolatecherryrumcoffeeexpialidocious.

Goes down exceptionally smooth for an 11.5% (11.5!) beer. I stress beer. Unlike some high abv Belgians that mimic wine or cider to compliment the fire, Expedition Stout brings a full-frontal exhibition of oily malts disrobing by the bedroom window and peeping-Tom hops hanging by the trellise.

Phenols come out on the tongue. Smoke finish. Warmth, not like alcohol, but as a mother's breast to her newborn child. Makes me long for autumn. And my mommy.

Absolutely intoxicating.

Relax, relax.
ng

08-28-2003 23:53:18 | More by ngandhi
oakbluff

Manitoba (Canada)

4.28/5  rDev +1.2%

I thought this beverage would be appropriate considering it is -35 degrees celsius out tonight.

Pours out like ten month old motor oil from my car. I had to run upstairs to get the knife and fork for this baby. Wow that is a thick stout. Hops are quite pronounced even though there is obviously an avalanche of malt here. Chocolate, plum, raisins, hops are main tastes. As thick as it is at the beginning, it actually finishes lightly and dry. carbonation is medium to low, but is at an appropriate level for this style.

A slow sipper for sure, but a perfect match for a soul sucking cold ass night. I'm looking forward to aging a couple of these to see how it/if it mellows out.

02-04-2007 03:56:19 | More by oakbluff
rousee

3.38/5  rDev -20.1%

Pours black molasses color with a head that is the color of chocolate brownies. I am immediately amazed and slightly worried by the smell--this thing is probably going to taste too boozy and vinous for me but maybe not...

Taste is of dark malts, caramel, licorice with some cherries and other fruits, nuts--almonds, raisins, etc. I can tell this will improve as it warms. It finishes fairly clean but does have a little bourbon-esque burn in the throat after. It is also a bit too flat in mouthfeel. I've had better imperial stouts. Maybe I need to try it again in January when the weather is much colder.

10-18-2005 21:27:48 | More by rousee
MSchae1017

Georgia

This beer was tasted in a 22oz Terrapin Snifter from the 12oz bottle.

The beer pours the color of dark chocolate with a creamy tan head that holds a nice ring leaving lace down the side of the glass. The smell is full of roasted barley and chocolate. The taste displays the same flavors as the smell along with a good amount of hops. The mouthfeel is full bodied with some carbonation. It could be a bit smoother, but it is still good. Overall a great RIS, but I would prefer a more muted hop presence.

06-28-2008 23:06:20 | More by MSchae1017
funkyaudio

12-30-2011 18:16:51 | More by funkyaudio
inebrius

4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

Christ it was dark. Dark and damp, but I had to move on. I started by probing the darkness and cutting a swath through the dense roasted barley jungle. Juicy currants bathed my sides and cacao beans landed on my back. Vines of hop wrapped around me in bitter spite but I kept on, through the clouded mire of malt, I kept on. I kept on and a sense of elation had begun to wash over me. It wrapped me up in its warm and furry embrace and I was happy now. It was right and good now. It was Expedition Stout.

Cheers to Deuce for the sample!

07-12-2002 23:48:13 | More by inebrius

03-24-2014 02:16:29 | More by djgustafson
BoitSansSoif

France

3.43/5  rDev -18.9%

A-Poured like smooth 10W-30 into a Bordeaux glass. This stuff devours light. Very thin head that drops to a fine cap.

S-Deeply toasted grain, malt, dried dates, toffee, coffee, alcohol, rich earthy tones.

T-Burnt malts and creamy toffee blend that carry over into more identifiable coffee, fig, and date flavors. The finish reveals the alcohol, and lingers with bitterness that momentarily saturates the taste buds on the back of the tongue. I don't know whether to attribute this uniquely to the well-done grains, or partially to hops as well.

M-Thick and syrupy, this stout coats the mouth and clings to the taste buds for dear life. The aftertaste is not unpleasant, but throughout the rest of the trial, the lack of more carbonation renders the body cloyingly sweet.

D-I'm only 2/3 done, and I'm starting to get full. Despite a couple shortcomings, I enjoyed seeking out this bold brew's veiled subtleties, but as a big Bell's fan since my irresponsible Bronco days, I'm left somewhat disappointed. Bell's has plenty of other varieties I would rather spend $ on.

01-25-2008 08:58:11 | More by BoitSansSoif
Bell's Expedition Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.