Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 2,428
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,266 | Hads: 11,681

If you are an IPA lover or Hops lover in general, this beer is an absolute MUST HAVE. I love IPA's and Hoppy beers in general and this one is the strongest I've ever had in that regard. But what makes this beer a 5 out of 5 for me is the addition of the honey flavor ... It is the icing on the cake and it's what really makes this beer DELICIOUS! (346 characters)

This has been hoppier in the past, but I'm going to let it slide this year. This is the only IPA that really delivers for me, aside from Palate Wrecker. If I could take this beer to bed, I'd divorce my sweet, MPDG wife and live happily ever after even if it means I don't get any more hand-knit orange socks. All jokes aside, (are they jokes, really?) this is pretty much my go-to, so it's a good thing my local beer spot has me on speed-dial and saved me 6 cases.
Fire is hot, ice is cold, Hopslam is IT. (506 characters)

Awesome! Just awesome. Best smelling beer I have tried. One of the best tasting to boot. Citrus, and especially grapefruit, to me, give this beer a fantastic aroma, and leaves a more than pleasant taste on the palette. Most likely due to the added honey, the bit of sweetness balances the bitterness well. Fantastic beer. (322 characters)

When I read "made with honey" I expected a sweet, heavy drink. What I got was a well rounded crisp flavor that was light on the tongue. The honey accented the hops exquisitely creating a balanced flavor with a nice slightly sweet, citrus flavor, without an overpowering after taste. (282 characters)

Hands down one of my top 5 favorite beers. Not necessarily a huge fan of X2 IPA's but this double will always be at the top of my list. Beautiful and rich in it's golden color with an aroma hand crafted in hop heaven. The honey in this beer is what makes it so memorable. Very well balanced in it's citrus notes and definitely not as strong as it's percentage hints that it should be. Not such a popular beer in the south, but when it is around it never lasts long. Another score for Bells Brewery! (499 characters)

Good gawd! Get dunked on by this hopslamming ale; the smell is of a hoppy meadow in the Elysian fields and the taste is similar to a bulldozer shoving a inordinate amount of pines citrus hops and a motley of other refreshing ingredients onto your palate where they accommodate one another instead of duking it out. (314 characters)

The absolute perfect example of a double IPA. honestly, this could very well qualify as a double or 3 en triple IPA. It IS SO DAMN hoppy!!! In the best way possible. It's extremely bitter and piney; if you love ipa's like I do, this isn't a bad thing. I've had far too many ipa and double and triple ipa beers that are way too sweet like southern tier. This takes the cake :) I bought two cases and don't regret it. (415 characters)

While this is an excellent tasting beer from the bottle, it is enhanced by drinking it from the glass to capture the aromas. The scent and smell of this beer coupled with it's hoppy yet smooth taste, makes this beer both delicious and enjoyable. Highly recommend! (263 characters)

This is the one beer you want in the "desert island" scenario, if you like HOPS. Caps lock is on for H-O-P-S as the grapefruit flavor is only rivaled by Fresca or an actual grapefruit. It is between the eyes HOPS and it trounces other hoppy brews.
It's a sweet Double IPA, but the sugars are perfect balanced to bring the hoppy character under control.
One caveat: at 10% ABV, this one can topple giants. This was the second time I have tried it and it's worth $3 a bottle.
Hats off to the team at Bell's. They have given me hope for every new year. (550 characters)

What can I say about, Hopslam that hasn't been said before? This beer is amazing!!! I've tried; 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014 & I must say that 2014 is the best! It has a huge mouth feel without all the bitterness. The hops are huge, the citrus flavor is there & it's a huge DIPA!!! I LOVE the Oracle but Hopslam is hands down one of, if not the BEST DIPA's out there!!! (364 characters)

I had to review this beer after trying it for the first time because I am not a hoppy beer/IPA guy but was blown away by this superb beer! Tried it in a sampler and promptly ordered a whole one.

The color was almost orange in hue, with a slight head that dissipated quickly. The aroma was fantastic! I could tell by the smell that I was in for a treat, because it wasn't overpowering in the typical way that very hoppy beers are to me, but instead gave amazing floral and citrus notes. Mouthfeel was substantial compared to a regular IPA, and I liked the body and slight malty sweetness, which quickly gave way to the hops. Whatever combo they use was enough to convert me, because it was intense and complex without the harshness of most beers with that much hops. I'm guessing a lot of late additions and dry hops. You'd also never guess this was 10% ABV. I never order IPAs or DIPAs, but from now on, when I see this on tap, that's probably what I'll get. (959 characters)

This was bottled in January 2013.

A- nice orange color, small white head that doesn't last long. Just beautiful orange, what a beer should look like.

S- even with the age on it the hops are still forward. Citrus and pine, fresh orange peel, a little honey at the end, but pretty much all hops, great!

T- follows the nose, big hops, big orange peel flavor, citrus and piney notes, big grapefruit, not as bitter as it was when I had it fresh but still bitter enough, this beer is just as good with a little age on it. The honey is there but really doesn't do too much besides create a great balance with the strong hops.

M- very smooth, medium body on it, goes down nice.

O- just a great brew, you really can't do any better. This is a two hearted ale (one of my favorite beers) on steroids. Just so well balanced and huge huge hops, which I love! (854 characters)

Best beer ever. I look forward to its release every year. A little limited in the Philly market if you want a whole case. Shangy's in Emaus always gets it, but it's first come first serve and sells out in one day. How long do these comments need to be? (252 characters)

Asking a beer lover their favorite beer is asking a music lover their favorite song. This beer would be "Can't you hear me knocking?" This is the first beer I had of that caliber and I look forward to it's release every year. (228 characters)

Absolutely one of my favorite beers!! honestly can go good with anything, but you are better off enjoying this beer by itself. it has so much too offer, such great combination between the yeast and malt's making this an outstanding brew. you can put this on my list of top beers. (279 characters)

This has got to be one of the most powerful beers that I have ever tasted. I tried a Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale (which is a beer that I enjoy) afterwards to compare and Hopslam made SI Celebration Ale seem/taste like a run of the mill Brown Ale. Hopslam is an amazing beer all the way around. The flavors are full and robust to say the least. I hope to drink some more this weekend at the Beer Dabbler in St. Paul, MN. (421 characters)

A: a beautiful orange with the perfect amount of head.

S: Floral and citrus hops with a hint of honey. a smell that makes home brewers want to quit.

T: Balance. it all comes through. The citrus and floral hops, complexity, a touch of alch. At 10% the honey really helps this go down easy.

O: The perfect DIPA (314 characters)

Poured a nice amber into a tulip glass, bubbles can be seen rising and a very slight off white head formed. The scent is of floral grassy hops, pine and grapefruit, with slight hints of honey and cat urine. The cat urine scent became more pronounced as the beer warmed but was almost pleasant in an odd way. The taste was excellent. Bitter pine begins each sip, going into more bitter pine mixed with grapefruit and ending on notes of bitter grapefruit pith. There is also a nice presence of malt, though it is overwhelmed somewhat by the hop profile, as well as nice hints of honey that are present throughout each sip. The mouthfeel is pleasant, with a slight carbonation, but not enough to dull the tongue to the hops or make drinking the beer difficult. There is also a slight stickiness but not as much as in some examples of the style. The mouthfeel aids the flavor of the beer and does not detract. Overall this is an excellent DIPA, by far one of the best, with an excellent hop flavor profile, well worthy of the title hop bomb. Yet it also is well balanced and avoids the pitfalls of being too hoppy. A beer to try and to enjoy. (1,138 characters)

A: beautiful, golden color
S: smells like honey and sweetness
T: explosion of flavors in your mouth! Very hoppy, but also has an acceptable amount of sweet taste that balances well with the bitterness. The after taste of this beer just leaves me wanting to drink more of it.

This is truly a world class beer. It's also very expensive and usually costs around $16-$20 for a 6 pack! However, at 10.5% abv, you get what you pay for in alcohol content and exquisite taste.

If I were stranded on an island and only had one beer I could take with me (along with food, of course ;)), this would be it. Well done, Bell's. Of course it would have to be on tap because this stuff is LEGIT coming from a keg. Bottles are good too, but this beer really shines on tap. (759 characters)

Absolutely amazing beer! Can't say enough. Now I know why every time I walk into a bar they make it a point to tell me they have Hopslam in bottles. Heard it went out in Kickbacks Gastropub in less than a day! On the top of my favorites list right behind Sweetwater IPA! (270 characters)

IF YOU LIKE HOPPY BEERS THIS IS A REALLY AWESOME SMELLING BEER! THE NAME SPEAKS FOR IT SELF IT IS EXTREMLY HOPPY AND IT PACKS A PUNCH MEANING IT DOES NOT TAKE MUCH TO FEEL THE EFFECTS OF THE BEER. I JUST LOVE IT CAN NOT GET ENOUGH. ONE OF THE BEST BEERS I EVER HAD. (265 characters)

My absolute FAVORITE IPA ever! The aroma has a strong grapefruit character, as does the taste, there is a nice refreshing citrus quality along with a slight pine taste and it's all topped off by a huge hoppy taste.

It also has a perfect malt background and there is no taste of alcohol even with the high ABV. Amazing. It's especially phenomenal on tap. (355 characters)

This is the only Beer I've given a rating of straight 5's.

Hopslam this year is one of the most refreshing beers I've ever tasted. The drinkability is almost scary. It tastes like a fresh mix of citrus juice that I could personally drink all day until I succumb to alcohol poisoning. And personally I was not a big fan of Bell's at all before I tried Hopslam. Already had it on draft and out of the bottle, and out of the bottle there is much more of a citrus taste, and I can not taste any alcohol in it at all. It has a gorgeous golden blonde color with a thin white head that disappears quickly. There is a ton of citrus smell to this, the smell of hops and citrus almost fill the room when you open this beer. It is simply delicious. (739 characters)

A: Pours a nice clear color with a slight green tinge. To be expected with a beer as hoppy as this one claims to be.

S: The nose doesn't really smell as hoppy as I would expect with a beer called "hopslam." Relatively sweet with a little bit of bitterness.

T: The hoppiness is relatively tame. It's definitely there, but the sweetness of the honey definitely comes through. Not getting any booziness which is nice on the 10% abv.

M: Super smooth mouthfeel. Nothing unpleasant about this.

O: I really wanted to be able to say something bad about this beer after all the hype. I've been trying to get my hands on a bottle for 2 years, and finally managed to get a couple of 6-packs and a draft pour this year. While it may not be deservng of the price charged, it is definitely a delicious beer. And I can't judge the quality of beer by what the bars decide to charge for it. So, while I won't pay $20 for a 6er of beer every week, I'll definitely do whatever I can to get my hands on one of these when I can. Not to be missed. A very well balanced and well put together beer.

Serving type: bottle & draft (1,112 characters)

I was never much of an IPA fan, but then I walked into Dutch's. I have always been a fan of Bell's, and wow, I was Blown Away by this beer. The flavor was amazing the subtle hints of honey just made me instantly fall in love with it. It is my favorite beer. Bravo Bells! (270 characters)

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.