2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 8,808 | Reviews: 3,089 | Show All Ratings:
HellsBELLS24

Wow!

The much anticipated release of Bells Hopslam finally came on 11/3/06.

The smell of fresh hops is uncomparable to any other Double IPA. The aroma fills the air once you start to pour this brew. It has a nice goden color with a lightly colored head. The taste is awsome. It starts calm with a super slamming hop finish towards the end. There is a hint of citrus flavor as well. I believe that the abv is closer to 10% rather than the listed 9.3%

I recommend this Double IPA to any hop head. Another great brew by Larry.

11-04-2006 18:11:31 | More by HellsBELLS24
xav33

Bell's Hopslam
12 oz bottle
Packaged 10/06, slammed down 11/06
Medium pour in a tulip glass.

Poured hazy amber with a large frothy somewhat lasting (thanks in part to a constant flow of myriad tiny bubbles) slightly off white head,with a think ring of lacing. Yeast suspends beautifully like Aurora Borealis.

Smelt strongly of grapefruit, spruce, with moderate pepper, barnyard,

Taste was upfront strong bitter ruby red grapefruit followed by a strong piny earthy bitterness on a never-ending finish. If you wait it out it turns grassy, then flowery. Palate was medium bodied, silky smooth and cream, softly carbonated, moderately astringent and light alcoholic warmth.

Overall, everything is amazing about this beer, except maybe the flavor profile. It was so smooth and tasty for its strength it left me wondering where the complexity and promise for cellaring was. Also slightly tasted like pellet hops or hop concentrate, if there is such a thing. I want to love this more but it's daftly simple for a double IPA and too perfectly balanced when young. I'm torn and confused, intrigued and mesmerized. Damn you Larry Bell, I finally have a double IPA crack my top tier. Excellent work for now, but lets see what you can do for me down the road for the next 5 years. Off to the oubliettes you go, Hopslam.

11-11-2006 05:18:55 | More by xav33
ZAP

The best DIPA I have had....PERIOD...

Appearance: Light orange color....small white head..

Smell: Incredible aroma of newly cut christmas trees and fresh sweet citrus (grapefruit, oranges, pinneaples, and tangerines).

Taste: Sweet, fresh citrus hop flavor that is more tasty than bitter...a big grapefruit element but also the tangerines, oranges and pinneapples...A bit of the christmas tree taste as well....The malt is very much in the background but does the job perfectly because this never feels unbalanced or like hop water...

Mouthfeel: Perfect....medium bodied...smooth....9.3%?? No-where to be tasted....like a silent assassin...I am sure this is high in IBU's but it tastes more juicy sweet than bitter...a great example of how to use hops.

Drinkability: Like I stated at the top....the best there is...Two hearted is one of my favorites but I had no idea I would like this so much. Fuck the price, I will try to secure another case of this if possible. Truly the nectar of the gods.. It's been a long time since I popped in a 5.0 on this site and now I have had two in a week (including a Town Hall beer I have yet to enter).

11-18-2006 22:57:22 | More by ZAP
nlmartin

I would like to shoot a special thanks to bax72 for this bottle of HopSlam. It is readily available in Cincinnati but I had drank my last bottle and was craving some more. This beer was served in my Imperial Pint glass.

Appearance: The beer has a orange coloration. The carbonation actively boils away in the glass. The off white colored head is two fingers high. The head has perfect retention during the session. Thick pancake like layers of lacing remain behind on my glass.

Smell: This beer is a celebration of hops! The beer is loaded with pine resin, pineapple, a citrus explosion of grapefruit, oranges, tangerines, peaches and apricot. The beer smells positively juicy. A complementing sweetness underlies the smell.

Taste: This beer may have one of the best hop attacks I have ever experienced. The hops come at me in layers. The beer is starts out with a oily pine resin. The beer then eases into a complex weave of fruit juicyness pineapple, grapefruit, peaches, apricot, tangerines. The beer then transitions to a herbal grassyness. The beer has a good malty backbone in the background. This is a hop driven beer but in no way unbalanced.

Mouthfeel: The beer is medium bodied. The active carbonation breaks it up a bit. The beer manages to have a creamy mouthfeel. This beer is very alcoholic but incorporates the alcohol well. The beer is easy to drink. I am hoping this one will be a yearly treat from Bell's. If you like strong hoppy beers this one is for you. At $15 a sixer its a bit pricey but man is it good!

11-19-2006 14:03:02 | More by nlmartin
Cresant

Kentucky

Served at Rich O's at the correct temperature. One finger of white head leaves a spiderweb of lace on the sides of the glass.The body is a rather clear brassy orange color.

Smell is sweet and pungent. Piney. As it warmed the aroma developed a cat-piss like essence. Very well hidden alcohol.

Taste was sweet, resiny, oily bitterness. A hops marmalade. Maltiness and hops boldness work together, yet remain distinct. An interesting juxtaposition of juiciness and drying qualities. Very drinkable and never cloying.

Mouthfeel was slightly oily and full/medium bodied. Fantastic. Just as good on tap as it is from the bottle.

12-12-2006 17:59:45 | More by Cresant
scorched

I was apprehensive about this beer, namely because of its price, $14.99 for a sixer. I was rewarded, however when I cracked the cap open on my wall-mounted gem of a bottle opened. I got out a fine pint glass and began the pour.

I was cooking at the time, and I could STILL smell the hoppiness of the brew. FANTASTIC. Wonderfully balanced aroma, with hoppiness and maltiness. Once the brew settled, the head was a nice 3/4 white cap. I took in the smell by diving my nose right down the center of the glass and taking a gigantic whiff. Once again, fantastic. I couldn't wait to taste it.

The appearance is what you would expect from a double IPA, and was a rich amber gem.

This beer is aptly-named hopslam, because it assaults your taste buds with the produce of the gods... hops. Instantly, the amount of alcohol in the brew is evident, being a double ipa. The mouthfeel is extraordinary, and has an extremely well-balanced flavor. Hints of grapefruit are abound.

If you're an IPA fan, this is the brew for you, just not your wallet. This beer is extremely drinkable and I give it my highest rating for an IPA yet

12-31-2006 23:43:50 | More by scorched
treedoctor5002

Two thoughts:Nectar of the Gods and Grapefruit Juice from heaven. That is what this beer is like. I love the total package. Very artfully crafted. The hops are HUGE! But, they're hidden behind a masterfully built malt base. Lots of citrus, pine and honey flavors going on here. What a great combination. A hopheads dream? I think so! The finest beer that I've tasted so far to date.

01-31-2007 23:44:59 | More by treedoctor5002
AlexJ

A very rare all 5-er for me, but this beers deserves that and more. A pale, hazed apricot colored pour wears a frothy white cap that lasts forever and leaves a thick crusting of lace on my goblet.

The aroma is like you are meditating in a Zen garden high in the crisp mountain air filled with fresh flowers and honeysuckle, all around you are tangerine, orange, lemon, and grapefruit trees, their leaves rustling gently in the breeze. Beneath their branches heavy with fruit grows a fragrent marijuana plant, it's buds bejeweled with powerdy crystals.

With the flavor continues the transcendent experience that is HopSlam. A complex and expertly assembled blend of magically complimentary flavors just explodes across your palate. It's aggressive hop character is tamed by the complex citrus, wildflower, golden malt toast, wildflower honey, and pungent yet fruity marijuana notes. I LOVE Double IPA's and there are very few that are on this level.

Body is perfectly medium with a soft mouthfeel like smooth flower petals with a creamy texture and lasting finish of complex hops. Insanely drinkable due to it's severe deliciousness and well hidden alcohol content. I hope the bottled version is as good when (if) it ever makes it to Charlotte.

02-18-2007 21:01:38 | More by AlexJ
srobertson59

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle (Lot 8277)

A - Poured a hazy honey orange with slight amounts of sticky foam. Foam dissipated quickly leaving some elegant lacing.

S - Hops hit the nose with a bit of honey sweetness in the background.

T - Juicy citrus explosion! I was tempted to wipe my chin as if I had just bit into a huge grapefruit! Pine overtones quickly fill in for the juiciness. Hops are out front on this one.

M - Velvety and creamy with little prickles of carbonation to the tongue. Very balanced on the exhale.

D - This is a remarkable brew. It's a shame it is a seasonal...umm...maybe it's a good thing as I would love to drink these often.

Label says 10% ABV...sure doesn't drink like it, but it does tend to sneak up on you.

02-11-2008 00:44:30 | More by srobertson59
IPADAN

12oz. bottle.

A - Amber/orange cloudy body with 1/2 inch white head that quickly diminished. Lots of lacings around the glass as you drink.

S - Smell is AMAZING!!! Amazing hop nose bursting with juicy citrus fruits (grapefruit and pineapple and pine needles?.

T - Sweet and citrusy up front, then a bit of honey flavor in the middle, then huge hop explosion at the end which is deliciously bitter.

M - Smooth, creamy texture with a medium bodied mouthfeel. Nice and hoppy.

D - Highly drinkable DIPA. Goes down very easy for 10%. Got to love Bells, got to love Hopslam. Can't find a single thing to fault. Favorite beer to date.

02-12-2008 19:11:47 | More by IPADAN
Landshark67

Since drinking this dbl IPA, I have been on a quest to find even more. Being in Michigan has helped but my sources are drying up. IMO - This beer is exactly what a double IPA should deliver from the initial aroma thru to the lingering finish.

Luckly, I found 2 cases at a local beer store this weekend. (5/10). That should hold me over for a while.

05-12-2008 10:05:36 | More by Landshark67
jeremyd365

I've had this a few times before without yet reviewing it, but I finally popped open my last one from past January '08 (Batch 8283). This is the holy grail of beer! Poured a dark amber-golden with medium clarity and medium to heavy carbonation with a slight white head. The hops are apparent at quite a distance, and once you actually put your nose in it, you've reached the motherland. On the tip of the tongue, the bitter hops are already being absorbed, and upon swallowing, the piney flavor melds with the monster hops to the most pleasurable blend imaginable. It's medium to heavy bodied and a true hop-SLAM, yet goes down smooth and remains extremely drinkable. This seasonal is one to definitely one to stock up on to enjoy sparingly at special moments throughout the year! Thank you, Bell's!

08-28-2008 03:46:57 | More by jeremyd365
drgonzo3705

A: A beautiful light copper color with a quickly diminishing head.

S: Piney, citrusy, and hoppy mmm.

T: Just like it smells. Absolutely marvelous! Mostly Pine with a little citrus and a slight malt backbone.

M: Oily and sticky with a nice medium body.

D: I know the ABV will catch up to me eventually but I'm drinking the shit out of this until it does! About as close to Pliny as us Eastern guys will get. A pure masterpiece!

01-16-2009 05:34:41 | More by drgonzo3705
Bejogle

After trying soooo many beers on the best of BA list and being disappointed time after time by the hype, FINALLY there's a beer that blows my mind.

A: Pours a beautiful amber color with a 2 or 3 fingers of head.

S: Jesus. I don't know if it's the honey or what but this beer's smell is indescribable. It's similar to the smell of Nugget Nectar, only more intense and a bit sweeter.

T: "Tastes just like it smells....DELICIOUS" - Dave Chappelle. Unbelievable blend of hoppiness and sweetness, with almost no alcohol burn at all. As close to beer perfection as I've ever tasted.

M: Just the right amount of body. It's not so thin that you're wondering if you're drinking dasani with food coloring in it, but it's not so thick that you feel like you just liquified a turkey.

D: 10 percent?? Are you kidding? It drinks like a session beer, and as such is quite dangerous.

Overall, the best beer I've ever had period. I'm a mid atlantic guy, so my craft beer foray began with Troegs. Nugget Nectar was my mecca, and this just expands on everything that was.

Well done.

01-16-2009 19:25:44 | More by Bejogle
MCfunkyJ

It's to bad that they limit the quantity. This is a brew I would like to stock all year round.

Pours: gold/amber with a nice thick head that quickly dispersed

Aroma: sweet fruit & hoppy smell

Taste: exceptional Hops taste

Mouthfeel: medium, sweet but not to strong

Drinkability: the aftertaste leaves you wanting more

Serving type: 12oz bottle

01-22-2009 07:19:11 | More by MCfunkyJ
valpodogs

A peachy grapefruit flower punch to your traditional understanding of an IIPA. Definitely more of a citrus taste than last year. One of the best beers I have every had. For $16 a six pack, it better be. I wish there was a way to store and cellar this beer so that it could last until next year's release.

01-25-2009 02:04:31 | More by valpodogs
crayphish

Perfection in a bottle. This brew pours a radiant yellow orange liquid, floating a respectable head. Insane lacing sticks to the glass. Smell is a sweet citrusy pine aroma. Grapefruit and lemons. Taste is a tart citrus hop attack balanced quite perfectly by asugary honey note. This beer is perfect. 10% drinks like 5%. After every sip, my mouth was left wanting another. The bar has been set, this is the perfect DIPA for the citrus hop fiend.

02-09-2009 06:17:54 | More by crayphish
BenJames1984

To start off, I am very fortunate to live in Mid-Michigan, as the Bell's Brewery is only about two hours away.

What's there to say? This is the first year I've had this delectable seasonal beer from Bell's, and was very impressed. I've always enjoyed their Two-Hearted IPA, and I had an intuition that Hopslam wouldn't be a let-down. I was right.

First impressions are important. As a hop-lover, seeing a label depicting a guy being crushed under the weight of an over-sized hop was enough to sell me. However, the wonderful taste around this beer didn't stem from it's hoppy-ness. It was the combination of a sweet honey flavor AND the hops, with a ten percent ABV to boot; very smooth and drinkable. Considering a six pack is nearly twenty dollars with tax + deposit, it's worth the ticket.

HopSlam is currently in my top five, and probably won't be going anywhere for a while.

02-12-2009 06:18:31 | More by BenJames1984
unclejimbay

Bell's HopSlam Ale
Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Style: American Double / Imperial IPA
ABV: 10.00 %

reviewed 1/21/09, bottle>imperial pint glass

my summary...
"a truly unique and intense but balanced citrus hoppy experience, one of a kind!"

A 5.0 - golden honey color, foamy 2 finger head, excellent head retention.
S 5.0 - 1. Hops, 2. Honey/Malt dance, very citrus grapefruit notes
T 5.0 - same as smell, sweet vs. hoppy-ness. I really dig the grapefruit hoppy-ness, very unique indeed - possibly the Simcoe? Perfect balance of a slam of hops w/ a fruity hoppy-ness.
MF 5.0 - Med++ on carbonation, semi slick mouthfeel.
D 5.0 - A very drink-able hop tongue splitter. I could drink these things all day, but you have to be very careful of the 10% ABV! I dig the grapefruit aromas and tastes.

02-17-2009 18:52:00 | More by unclejimbay
coolchris1400

Ashleys in Ann Arbor, on tap. Great beer, taste smell and eveything else. On thing is for sure if that it's got a very green flavor, all those good hops. Currently I'm sitting in the bar typing this review and let me tell you" this is a serious brew"(Bigal723).

02-18-2009 22:54:23 | More by coolchris1400
locstir

Kentucky

EVERY YEAR I LOOK FORWORD TO THIS BEER. ANY TIME ONE BOTTLE HAS THE SAME AMOUNT OF HOPS THAT SIX CASES OF BUD DOES THAT IS A GOOD BEER. THIS YEARS HAS A SOFT PINE AROMA WITH A HINT OF HONEY. THE TASTE HAS A RICH GRAPEFRUIT AND ACIDIC FLAVOR. IT HAS A HAZY APPERANCE IN THE GLASS, BUT THE TASTE IS SMOOTH.

02-19-2009 19:12:05 | More by locstir
dakid618

Poured from 12oz bottle batch #8911 into Bell's pint glass. Pours a light amber golden color with a half finger of frothy head that leaves gobs of retention on the sides of the glass. Smell is all grapefruit. I don't know how else to describe it but grapefruit citrus smell with maybe a hint of biscuitlike malt hidden deep. Taste is citrus hops up front(grapefruit, hints of banana and orange peel) followed seemlessly by smooth biscuitlike malts. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and not as dry as most DIPAs are. Drinkability is amazing for such a high ABV beer. Alcohol is perfectly hidden and kind of scary this could be so easy drinking. This is the best DIPA I've ever had, ever. This beer deserves a perfect 5. If this were available year round I'd stop trying new beers and this is all I would drink(at least for this style). In my opinion a perfect DIPA.

02-28-2009 02:25:16 | More by dakid618
GordonQuid

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a pint glass.

Deep golden w/a rocky 2 inch white head. Ample lacing with some serious "leg" action.

Smells like hop heaven.... Slightly earthy musk and clover fields, fresh honey and oats.

The taste is Cataclysmic! Spicey, earthy hops, rich malts and honey do melon. Slightly warm from the alcohol but I could not wait to take another sip. Simply deliscious!

07-22-2009 20:22:52 | More by GordonQuid
dstickel

Probably my favorite beer ever, anywhere, of any style, period! Nothing wrong with it at all. Great taste, great smell, perfectly balanced, hides the 10% ABV well. The only problem with it is that it's only available for a very short time each year. But that probably makes it that much better.

07-27-2009 23:13:53 | More by dstickel
xcrunner78

First off before I go into this review I have to say <b>WOW!</b>

Poured 12 oz. bottle into stemless wine glass while at Main Street Gourmet.

Appearance: Poured a dark honey/copper color, left a 1-cm white head. Absolutely clear.

Smell: Hops right in your face! I smelled a slight grapefruit fruity smell with a lot of other citrus to it.

Taste: Again, hops in your face! I taste a lot of citrus, slight honey and a little malt.

Mouthtaste: On the back of the palate is where I get the bitterness of the hops. It was the only beer that I would drink that night, because it ruined my tastebuds for the rest of the night.

Drinkability: Very drinkable for me. Bigger the beer that better. 10% ABV hit the spot and made me hungery for more. Three of them goes into my cellar!

Notes: Had not had a good beer from Bells in a while. This was maybe redemption.

01-10-2010 23:33:57 | More by xcrunner78
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.