Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 2,496
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,269 | Hads: 11,751

Asking a beer lover their favorite beer is asking a music lover their favorite song. This beer would be "Can't you hear me knocking?" This is the first beer I had of that caliber and I look forward to it's release every year.

Hop slam is my personal fav beer. I wish Bell's would produce this beer year round! The color was golden honey. With a i finger head. taste wise this beer was a home run.. OR slam DUNK!! It has a nice hoppy flavor but was exceptionally balanced by citrus and honey flavor. My palate picked up on orange and grapefruit flavors. I can not say enough about this brew I was lucky to find 2 six packs here in florida this beer sells out in a day!

This is what got me into the IPAs and Double IPAs. My absolute favorite IPA, unfortunately, not available where I live, but I will always remember the taste and flavor! Love this brew and look forward to hunting it down and finding some more!

The much anticipated release of Bells Hopslam finally came on 11/3/06.

The smell of fresh hops is uncomparable to any other Double IPA. The aroma fills the air once you start to pour this brew. It has a nice goden color with a lightly colored head. The taste is awsome. It starts calm with a super slamming hop finish towards the end. There is a hint of citrus flavor as well. I believe that the abv is closer to 10% rather than the listed 9.3%

I recommend this Double IPA to any hop head. Another great brew by Larry.

12oz. bottle.

A - Amber/orange cloudy body with 1/2 inch white head that quickly diminished. Lots of lacings around the glass as you drink.

S - Smell is AMAZING!!! Amazing hop nose bursting with juicy citrus fruits (grapefruit and pineapple and pine needles?.

T - Sweet and citrusy up front, then a bit of honey flavor in the middle, then huge hop explosion at the end which is deliciously bitter.

M - Smooth, creamy texture with a medium bodied mouthfeel. Nice and hoppy.

D - Highly drinkable DIPA. Goes down very easy for 10%. Got to love Bells, got to love Hopslam. Can't find a single thing to fault. Favorite beer to date.

Served in a snifter, 45 degrees.

The head dissipated quickly. the aroma is of citrus and bright hopiness. The flavor is sweet, you can taste honey notes. There is a soft finish that is accompanied by the carbonation that doesn't quit.

This is well balanced, with a ton of hops and sweet malt flavor. One of the best IPAs that I have had. A+

Served at Rich O's at the correct temperature. One finger of white head leaves a spiderweb of lace on the sides of the glass.The body is a rather clear brassy orange color.

Smell is sweet and pungent. Piney. As it warmed the aroma developed a cat-piss like essence. Very well hidden alcohol.

Taste was sweet, resiny, oily bitterness. A hops marmalade. Maltiness and hops boldness work together, yet remain distinct. An interesting juxtaposition of juiciness and drying qualities. Very drinkable and never cloying.

Mouthfeel was slightly oily and full/medium bodied. Fantastic. Just as good on tap as it is from the bottle.

Poured from 12 oz. bottle

Look: golden yellow

Smell: Grapefruit, pine

Taste: WOW! A Hop bomb just doesn't get any better in my opinion. It's all in the balance of bitter and sweet. Punches you in the mouth with hop, grapefruit, and let's you down easy with a sweet bit of citrus and honey.

Mouthfeel: Strong at first, dryer in the end.

Drinkability: I normally space out the number I have in a night just since it is more scarce than most beers, but it tastes too good not to want one after another and another.

I enjoy it as much if not more than PtE, and think it deserves a place close to the Top.

What can I say about, Hopslam that hasn't been said before? This beer is amazing!!! I've tried; 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014 & I must say that 2014 is the best! It has a huge mouth feel without all the bitterness. The hops are huge, the citrus flavor is there & it's a huge DIPA!!! I LOVE the Oracle but Hopslam is hands down one of, if not the BEST DIPA's out there!!!

There is one of the best beers in the world today. Unbelievable aroma. Citrus, pines and a touch of honey really have your palate craving it. For the amount of different hops it is made with, it is pretty unbelievable how smooth of a beer it is. Bell's Hopslam is simply one of the best beers in the world.

I had a hard time getting this beer for the last two days, thankfully I found some!

Pours perfectly with a two finger thick cranium, and has a nice golden and copper colored body that is cleanly filtered.

Aroma wise it's piny to the core. There could be a hint of honey, but I may be fooling myself since I see this is brewed with honey.

In the taste it's initially hoppy like biting into an orange and then suddenly dissipates. Then comes the honey and slight toffee hints, then the hops return to finish me off with a sharp and tart grapefruit kick.

A bit chewy but not over the top for such a high ABV beer. Warming in the middle to the end, so this makes for a great beer today due to STL being a frozen tundra today.

I love this beer and all the hype is true!

Ashleys in Ann Arbor, on tap. Great beer, taste smell and eveything else. On thing is for sure if that it's got a very green flavor, all those good hops. Currently I'm sitting in the bar typing this review and let me tell you" this is a serious brew"(Bigal723).

This precious liquid is only available for a few glorious days in January. As soon as it hits the shelves I buy up as much as I can find/afford, but it's never enough. Larry Bell must be some kind of wizard: Hopslam's amazing balance of hops and honey seems the result of alchemy, and making 10% ABV disappear can only be described as magic. It doesn't get any better than this.

Best beer ever. I look forward to its release every year. A little limited in the Philly market if you want a whole case. Shangy's in Emaus always gets it, but it's first come first serve and sells out in one day. How long do these comments need to be?

8 Days new poured into a Duvel Tulip

A: One finger off white head. Color is a bright crystal clear golden honey with orange hues. Cap never goes away. Thick sticky lacing.
S: Tropical paradise. Orange, pineapple, floral, touch of sweet malt and honey. Juicy fruit gum comes to mind. Smell is amazing.
T: Very well balanced. Starts sweet and then turn tropical like the nose. Lots of sweet honey, citrus and pineapple. Nice lingering bitterness.
M: Smooth and creamy. Perfect carbination and nice lingering bitterness.
D: 10% ABV??? Holy #$*#... This is so drinable it is scary. If you didnt know any better you could easily finish a six pack and fall over dead drunk.

Outstanding beer lived up to the hype.

I waited 40 days (lent) to drink this and holy Jesus this is amazing!
Do not hesitate to pick this up. The honey really balances out the subtle complexities to this exquisitely crafted IPA.

Sorry for not supplying a full review...I am really enjoying this and you should too!

Since drinking this dbl IPA, I have been on a quest to find even more. Being in Michigan has helped but my sources are drying up. IMO - This beer is exactly what a double IPA should deliver from the initial aroma thru to the lingering finish.

Luckly, I found 2 cases at a local beer store this weekend. (5/10). That should hold me over for a while.

Pours a clear golden honey color with a single finger head that leaves lots of sticky lacing on the glass. Small carbonation bubbles up the sides of the glass. Looks delicious.

Smell is citrus hops, sweet malts and honey. Lemon zest, lime, and honey are very prevalent. Smells intoxicating, my mouth is watering.

Taste is the same as the smell, citrus hops, followed by sweet malt and lots of honey. Finish is bitter hops. This goes down very easy, the alcohol is very well hidden, don't even notice it. Extremely well balanced between hop profile and sweetness of malts and honey.

The mouthfeel is lively, the carbonation dances on your tongue. It allows the sweetness to come through, but prevents it from being to cloying. This beer drinks too smoothly for it's abv. It it's fantastic, one of the top beers I've had. Wonderful.

Overall, this is one of the best beers around. This is the beer that turned me on to hoppy beers and I love it. I wish they would make it year round.

Had my first Hopslam on tap at a BW3's in Troy, OH and fell in love. Have had a case purchased and delivered to me each year after since I can't get it easily in VA. Pours a beautiful orange/gold color with a bit of a haze and a nice fluffy head. Smells wonderful if you're a hop-head. The taste of this stuff really puts it on top of my list of favorites. Taste is super hoppy and citrusy and then the honey sweetness settles into the after-taste. But, remarkably smooth for a big beer. Mouthfeel has a nice cling and coat type feel on the inside of the mouth so the flavor lingers. Easily my favorite DIPA/Imperial IPA and quite possibly my favorite beer.

This has been hoppier in the past, but I'm going to let it slide this year. This is the only IPA that really delivers for me, aside from Palate Wrecker. If I could take this beer to bed, I'd divorce my sweet, MPDG wife and live happily ever after even if it means I don't get any more hand-knit orange socks. All jokes aside, (are they jokes, really?) this is pretty much my go-to, so it's a good thing my local beer spot has me on speed-dial and saved me 6 cases.
Fire is hot, ice is cold, Hopslam is IT.

I was apprehensive about this beer, namely because of its price, $14.99 for a sixer. I was rewarded, however when I cracked the cap open on my wall-mounted gem of a bottle opened. I got out a fine pint glass and began the pour.

I was cooking at the time, and I could STILL smell the hoppiness of the brew. FANTASTIC. Wonderfully balanced aroma, with hoppiness and maltiness. Once the brew settled, the head was a nice 3/4 white cap. I took in the smell by diving my nose right down the center of the glass and taking a gigantic whiff. Once again, fantastic. I couldn't wait to taste it.

The appearance is what you would expect from a double IPA, and was a rich amber gem.

This beer is aptly-named hopslam, because it assaults your taste buds with the produce of the gods... hops. Instantly, the amount of alcohol in the brew is evident, being a double ipa. The mouthfeel is extraordinary, and has an extremely well-balanced flavor. Hints of grapefruit are abound.

If you're an IPA fan, this is the brew for you, just not your wallet. This beer is extremely drinkable and I give it my highest rating for an IPA yet

Preview: "The Bell's Brewery batch number you searched '10115' is a Bell's Hopslam Ale and was packaged on January 11th, 2011." The beer is a bit over 3 weeks old and was poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

Appearance: A gorgeous, clear, honey orange color with a nice off-white head. The foamy two inch head slowly collapses, etching the glass with permanent lace.

Smell: One word says it: Wow! This is the most amazingly and powerfully aromatic beer I have ever experienced. As soon as the bottle is opened, it starts. After it hits the glass....there is an aroma cloud that envelops a 2 ft area around the pour. The smell is incredible. Pineapple, mango, peach, honey, grapefruit, and pine. I could smell this all day.

Taste: The taste blows me away. A changing flavor profile throughout the experience is quite unique. The first taste is all pine and bitter. The next several sips highlight the honey and grapefruit. Then some malt. Each sip has flavors to savor. Flavors mellow and get more floral as it warms. Very complex.

Mouthfeel: Medium with a pleasant oily feeling left on the roof of the mouth from the hop resins.

Drinkability: Superb. You would never know this weighs in at 10% ABV. Each sip has me muttering things like "ahhhh", "amazing" and "incredible". Very few beers do that. Very few.

Overall: Despite all the hype....there is definitely a reason with this one. This has got to be my favorite beer...definitely in the top 2 no doubt. Bell's has done a great job here. If not for the ABV...I could drink these all day long. I was lucky enough to procure a case worth of these and will be spacing them out nicely over the next month or so. Even my wife (not a big beer fan) loved this one. Sadly, while I wish this was available year-round...at least there will be Bell's Two-Hearted Ale to fill in the gap. Get this beer if you have not tried it while it is still available.

Poured from bottle into draft glass.

A- Burnt orange color body with a frothy two-finger off-white head.

S- Hop cones, pine, grapefruit, citrus, and tropical fruit notes come screaming to the top of the glass jockeying for position. A lot going on here. Immaculate.

T- Grapefruit, citrus (maybe some tangerine), pine, honey, and some sweet malt...bordering on too sweet. Leaves a strong bitterness on the finish to round out that sweetness, but not at all to the point that you can't handle it. If you are a hophead, you'll love this one.

M- It has a juicy feel to it. I'd call it medium-heavy. Its has the heavier feel of a DIPA but its not a big thick syrup bomb. Its done just right.

O- This beer gets a ton of hype and deservedly so. I've had yet to try Russian River's Pliny the Elder, but if its better than this it would have to be an out of body experience. Between this, the Two Hearted Ale, Best Brown, and Special Double Cream Stout...Bell's makes some killer beers and this one is the headliner. Shame that this is not a year-round serving. Im glad that I have another case of this waiting for me upon its arrival.

bottle poured into pint glass
A - small one finger white head, good retention, beautiful cloud amber, exactly what a beer should look like
S - deep citrus, orange, lemon grapefruit, wonderful, a nice little sweet bite on the end
T - wonderful orangey citrusy deliciousness, slightly sweet, like the nose
M - creamy and easy to drink
O - possibly best double ipa ever, i will edit this when i have some pliny's or hill farmstead

I would like to shoot a special thanks to bax72 for this bottle of HopSlam. It is readily available in Cincinnati but I had drank my last bottle and was craving some more. This beer was served in my Imperial Pint glass.

Appearance: The beer has a orange coloration. The carbonation actively boils away in the glass. The off white colored head is two fingers high. The head has perfect retention during the session. Thick pancake like layers of lacing remain behind on my glass.

Smell: This beer is a celebration of hops! The beer is loaded with pine resin, pineapple, a citrus explosion of grapefruit, oranges, tangerines, peaches and apricot. The beer smells positively juicy. A complementing sweetness underlies the smell.

Taste: This beer may have one of the best hop attacks I have ever experienced. The hops come at me in layers. The beer is starts out with a oily pine resin. The beer then eases into a complex weave of fruit juicyness pineapple, grapefruit, peaches, apricot, tangerines. The beer then transitions to a herbal grassyness. The beer has a good malty backbone in the background. This is a hop driven beer but in no way unbalanced.

Mouthfeel: The beer is medium bodied. The active carbonation breaks it up a bit. The beer manages to have a creamy mouthfeel. This beer is very alcoholic but incorporates the alcohol well. The beer is easy to drink. I am hoping this one will be a yearly treat from Bell's. If you like strong hoppy beers this one is for you. At $15 a sixer its a bit pricey but man is it good!

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.