Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 2,369
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 11,586 | Reviews: 3,419

EVERY YEAR I LOOK FORWORD TO THIS BEER. ANY TIME ONE BOTTLE HAS THE SAME AMOUNT OF HOPS THAT SIX CASES OF BUD DOES THAT IS A GOOD BEER. THIS YEARS HAS A SOFT PINE AROMA WITH A HINT OF HONEY. THE TASTE HAS A RICH GRAPEFRUIT AND ACIDIC FLAVOR. IT HAS A HAZY APPERANCE IN THE GLASS, BUT THE TASTE IS SMOOTH.

This beer gets better every year. Pay attention to this one. Beers speak louder than reviews.

Gorgeous colour, soft pillowy head that sticks. Aromas of, well, hops, but tropical fruit and honey as well. Tastes the same. Nice retention! The hoppiness really sticks around.

I'm a huge fan of the IPA's that don't have a huge malt profile, and this one tops them all. Excellent beer, and totally worth all of the hype.

Date Drunk: 1/15/11

Pours like a light lager, with a yellow-orange tint with frothy head. The smell is mouth watering of candy hops and pink grapefruit. The first sip made me fall back into my chair. It's liquid sugared grapefruit with a slight dry hop at the end, it is brewed with honey, hence the sweetness. To make this beer even better, you can keep drinking and drinking because the 10% is not even present.

The tap version is a perfect beer.

First time to try it today. Truly an exceptional beer!
Pours a nice orange and golden color with moderate head.
The aroma is a basket of citrusy fruits and sweet honey and handfuls of hops. It smells so damn delicious.
The beverage drinks smoothly, taste of fruit, pine, sweet honey, and hops...lots of em'
At 10% ABV, the alcohol is almost completely hidden. I could drink these all night and not be able to know I was drinking such a high gravity beer from just taste alone.
One of the best DIPA's out there. Get it if you can.
I had to travel a nice little distance to get it but it was well worth it!

Absolutely amazing beer! Can't say enough. Now I know why every time I walk into a bar they make it a point to tell me they have Hopslam in bottles. Heard it went out in Kickbacks Gastropub in less than a day! On the top of my favorites list right behind Sweetwater IPA!

Poured from their 12oz bottle...

Appearance - A rough pour gave me 3 gingers of golden fluffy eggshell head, color is a gorgeous glowing slightly hazy yellow gold, almost a lite orange. Big laces already starting to appear. *Thick broad splashes of lace all over the inside of my glass when finished - wow.

Smell - Oh BIG pine and fresh grapefruit zest, more citrus smells like orange zest and pineapple too, and there is an underlying sweetness, perhaps from the honey. One of the best smelling beers ever, literally makes the mouth water.

Taste - What a perfect balance here - starts with Big citrus notes of grapefruit with other citrus zests (orange and trace lemon) and even some under-ripe pineapple with hints of pine. moments after the sip there are green grassy floral hop flavors - and for the entire trip there is the perfect amount of sweetness in the back to just keep your taste-buds attached. You can actually pick up the faint honey flavor. Not the sugar laden honey from the bear shaped container at the grocers, this is much more of a natural honey from the comb flavor, very floral and natural tasting. Fantastic big flavors here. Alcohol is perfectly hidden, even at 10%.

Mouthfeel - This has a medium mouthfeel with almost medium carb. The carb adds just enough cleansing and crispness to to let the hops really come through and linger long into the finish. Careful, this is such a wonderfully drinkable beer, you could very easily end up like the person pictured on the front of the bottle...and get hopslammed ;)

Overall - I am enjoying this so much, a hop lovers dream. So perfectly balanced and still very complex. So many wonderful hop flavors - citrus, pine, floral, meadowy, grassy, like you dipped the tips of a fistful of hops into some fresh honey from the comb, and thrust this into your mouth all at once. My favorite style is a really good DIPA, and until i find something better, this is a poker hand of 5 aces.

Probably my favorite beer ever, anywhere, of any style, period! Nothing wrong with it at all. Great taste, great smell, perfectly balanced, hides the 10% ABV well. The only problem with it is that it's only available for a very short time each year. But that probably makes it that much better.

I have got to say that this is probably the best IPA that I have ever had. It starts off pouring a beautiful golden with orange highlights. The aroma is nothing but well thought out citrus characters. The Flavor is nothing shy of exceptional, as it first hits the tongue with a citrusy delight, and lingers for a while and finishes off with a floral quality that blends nicely with the subtle sweetness that the Honey in this master piece adds. The Body has been well designed to match the multitude of hop characteristics that mingle in this beer. Cheers to the brewers at Bell's for once again amazing me with this beer. Every year it never fails to please.

The absolute perfect example of a double IPA. honestly, this could very well qualify as a double or 3 en triple IPA. It IS SO DAMN hoppy!!! In the best way possible. It's extremely bitter and piney; if you love ipa's like I do, this isn't a bad thing. I've had far too many ipa and double and triple ipa beers that are way too sweet like southern tier. This takes the cake :) I bought two cases and don't regret it.

2011 vintage enjoyed in August. Poured into a tulip.

Beautiful orange/copper color, 1-2 finger head, excellent retention.

Smell - The smell hits you from 3 feet away. 10% beer and not a hint of alcohol on the nose. Honey, sweet caramel. Sweet.

Taste - Honey, Sweet caramel, toffee. Alcohol but this beer hides it incredibly well. The hops hit you like a mack truck! My goodness, what a beer.

Easily in my hall of fame. Incredibly drinkable beer for how big it is. It'll warm you up in cold Midwest nights but it's going down wonderfully on a hot August evening. Perhaps my favorite beer

A - Rich orange color with a perfect head

S - Tons of citrus and hops and a bit of malt

T - This is the Holy Grail of IPAs. Incredibly smooth and drinkable. Great hoppy bitterness combined with subtle malt and some sweetness from the honey. It is the nectar of the gods.

M - Smooth and balanced

O - My favorite brew hands down.

If you said to me "What is the perfect beer?" I would say HOPSLAM.

A: Very clear golden orange color with a nice looking head and some lacing.

S: Smells like you squeezed fresh pineapple juice into the beer, great aroma.

T: Gives such a good fresh hops taste with the hint of fruit and a great fruit aftertaste. Alcohol is hardly present.

D: I could drink these all night if I could afford it.

This was bottled in January 2013.

A- nice orange color, small white head that doesn't last long. Just beautiful orange, what a beer should look like.

S- even with the age on it the hops are still forward. Citrus and pine, fresh orange peel, a little honey at the end, but pretty much all hops, great!

T- follows the nose, big hops, big orange peel flavor, citrus and piney notes, big grapefruit, not as bitter as it was when I had it fresh but still bitter enough, this beer is just as good with a little age on it. The honey is there but really doesn't do too much besides create a great balance with the strong hops.

M- very smooth, medium body on it, goes down nice.

O- just a great brew, you really can't do any better. This is a two hearted ale (one of my favorite beers) on steroids. Just so well balanced and huge huge hops, which I love!

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a pint glass.

Deep golden w/a rocky 2 inch white head. Ample lacing with some serious "leg" action.

Smells like hop heaven.... Slightly earthy musk and clover fields, fresh honey and oats.

The taste is Cataclysmic! Spicey, earthy hops, rich malts and honey do melon. Slightly warm from the alcohol but I could not wait to take another sip. Simply deliscious!

This is my first review. I found this site after buying a Dogfish Head 90-minute IPA and thinking I had quite possibly found the best beer ever made. I have not reviewed the DFH yet (that's next) but after spending hours reading the reviews here I set out to find Hopslam. Lucky for me that my discovery of IIPAs coincided with annual release of Hopslam. Doubly lucky for me apparently there aren't a lot of Beer Advocaters down here in Naples, FL as my local Total Wine had 5 sixes left on January 31st (my birthday). I bought them all without even trying it first.

Hopslam is a smooth, balanced, citrusey, hoppy perfection of a beer that might just be worth the ridiculous price. I'm not going to go into it's color, mouthfeel, drinkability, lacing etc. 2,000 people have already done that. What I will say is that, in my limited experience drinking IIPAs (I've had Racer X, Founder's Double Trouble, DFH 90, and Stone Ruination to date) this beer leaves all those in the dust. I figure it needs a few dozen more people to give it all 5s to make this one of the six A+ beers on this site. It certainly deserves that distinction.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle (Lot 8277)

A - Poured a hazy honey orange with slight amounts of sticky foam. Foam dissipated quickly leaving some elegant lacing.

S - Hops hit the nose with a bit of honey sweetness in the background.

T - Juicy citrus explosion! I was tempted to wipe my chin as if I had just bit into a huge grapefruit! Pine overtones quickly fill in for the juiciness. Hops are out front on this one.

M - Velvety and creamy with little prickles of carbonation to the tongue. Very balanced on the exhale.

D - This is a remarkable brew. It's a shame it is a seasonal...umm...maybe it's a good thing as I would love to drink these often.

Label says 10% ABV...sure doesn't drink like it, but it does tend to sneak up on you.

Hopslam

P-5
S-5
T-5
M-5
D-5

Pours beautiful orange gold thin white head great lacing

Smells amazing hops and grapefruit up front with a slight alcohol afterburn

Taste is huge piney hops up front with a nice sugary citrus aftertaste

Mouthfeel is perfect not to heavy not to light just right level of carbonation

Dangerously high drinkability you quickly forget there is 10%abv in these

I have had this in the past but it was a little old, this is a beer to drink fresh. Thanks for the 6 pack Vince.

Definitely a must try ...a bucket list for your tastebuds.

Bell's HopSlam Ale
Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Style: American Double / Imperial IPA
ABV: 10.00 %

reviewed 1/21/09, bottle>imperial pint glass

my summary...
"a truly unique and intense but balanced citrus hoppy experience, one of a kind!"

A 5.0 - golden honey color, foamy 2 finger head, excellent head retention.
S 5.0 - 1. Hops, 2. Honey/Malt dance, very citrus grapefruit notes
T 5.0 - same as smell, sweet vs. hoppy-ness. I really dig the grapefruit hoppy-ness, very unique indeed - possibly the Simcoe? Perfect balance of a slam of hops w/ a fruity hoppy-ness.
MF 5.0 - Med++ on carbonation, semi slick mouthfeel.
D 5.0 - A very drink-able hop tongue splitter. I could drink these things all day, but you have to be very careful of the 10% ABV! I dig the grapefruit aromas and tastes.

this is my first review for BA so i figured I'd start with one of my favorites.

appearance: nothing extremely unique that would separate it from others within the style. looks damn good though.

smell: open a bottle and walk 5 feet away. you can still smell the beer. this is good thing.

taste: tropical fruit, mango, papaya, citrus, cream. all to the tenth power.

mouthfeel: carbonated skim-milk. not too thick but still very creamy. moderate carbonation provides essential texture.

drinkability: too drinkable. i feel the alcohol after the first sip but i keep drinking. this is a good thing.

i really cant say enough about this brew. i used to be a pretty big beer-nerd but other interests have proven to prevail and i've scaled back my obsession somewhat over the past years. that said, hopslam will always be a pedestal beer for me.

Absolutely one of my favorite beers!! honestly can go good with anything, but you are better off enjoying this beer by itself. it has so much too offer, such great combination between the yeast and malt's making this an outstanding brew. you can put this on my list of top beers.

Batch 10093
Bottled January 3rd drank January 11th
Drank with UrbanCaver
A-Golden bronze in color with nice head and a lot of lacing. Simply beautiful.
S-Godliness
T-Strong hops but not too overpowering. nice amount of fruit balance. Simply amazing
M-Very well balanced, Sweet yet not too sweet with the right amount of hop kick
D-The most drinkable beer. Ever. 10%? There is no way. this goes down way to smooth and easy. One of a handful of beer that truly "Wow"ed me.

This is the best IIPA bar none. It sets the bar. If only they made it year round. Can't wait to have it on draft. I am buying a case and it is not nearly enough!

My heart swells each year when I see the new six packs of HS on the shelf. My other love, Mrs. Vanbeer, feels a little left out of the parade. However, she likes the beer too. But I am not the jealous type, except when she drinks "my" beer.

All 5's.

I know, I know, it's rare, but this is wonderful.

Pours a beautiful gold into a Sam Adams Better Beer glass. Aroma is floral, almost sweet, but not too sweet. Another sniff brings out some pine, maybe some grapefruit, some honey.

First sip is great. It doesn't bite, like expected, but comes off a little sweet. It's sweet, a little floral, not bitter at all.

The alcohol level (10%) is nonexistent. This is a consistently smooth beer, but at the same time, you know what you're drinking, so you don't get stupid drinking a ton of it.

Mouthfeel is wonderful. It's slightly bubbly, not too much, and it leaves the mouth slightly dry.

This beer is beautiful. The price though, it's steep. $20 a 6 pack is pretty outrageous. If you can, grab a bottle, and savor.

Poured from 12oz bottle batch #8911 into Bell's pint glass. Pours a light amber golden color with a half finger of frothy head that leaves gobs of retention on the sides of the glass. Smell is all grapefruit. I don't know how else to describe it but grapefruit citrus smell with maybe a hint of biscuitlike malt hidden deep. Taste is citrus hops up front(grapefruit, hints of banana and orange peel) followed seemlessly by smooth biscuitlike malts. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and not as dry as most DIPAs are. Drinkability is amazing for such a high ABV beer. Alcohol is perfectly hidden and kind of scary this could be so easy drinking. This is the best DIPA I've ever had, ever. This beer deserves a perfect 5. If this were available year round I'd stop trying new beers and this is all I would drink(at least for this style). In my opinion a perfect DIPA.

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.