Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 1,932
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
4.34/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Golden amber in color with a nice 2.5 finger head. Really nice lacing. Beautiful beer.

Smell: Was expecting more from the smell. Sweet Citrus. Some alcohol.

Taste: Citrus. Some spice and honey to balance it out.

Mouth feel: Medium body and carbonation. Potent alcohol burn for the first few sips which was unpleasant but my palate adjusted quickly. There is a creamy or sticky feeling from the honey.

Overall: It's a good IIPA but I feel that the unmasked high abv takes away from the overall appeal of the beer.

shadetree67, Feb 02, 2014
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

This is simply a review of my first impressions. I must revisit after several more pints.

First pint out of the barrel at Maduro ($3 a pint!), pours medium straw orange and quite hazed. Good head.

Juicy.

Simply one of the most juicy beers in terms of both aroma and flavor that I have had.

Strong quantities of grapefruit and pine sap are present throughout.

Fantastically drinkable. ABV is completely covered.

Bone dry yet silky texture.

DaPeculierDane, Nov 13, 2006
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

Thanks to exiled for sharing this bottle.

Pours golden with a large white head. The aroma is fruity, with peaches, mango and oranges. The flavor is fruity as well, with the above fruits as well as grapefruit and some pine. A very complex flavor. Medium bitterness, medium mouthfeel and low carbonation.

Mora2000, Feb 10, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

Drinking as I write this. Just received in the mail.

A- Clear and golden orange, with very little head to speak of

S- A big shot of hops, and then nothing. It's as if the hops evaporated or something. It doesn't smell bad, it just doesn't smell like anything anymore. Maybe I should have gotten it colder (it's at "belgian" temperature right now). I just a trace of hops and some floral aromatics from the malt. I want to believe that I can smell the honey.

T- This is fantastic. There is obviously a ton of hops in this thing, but they work together very well. I get peach and apricot flavors. Pineapple. Some rum and honey flavor. I guessing that there are either some English or Noble hops in here somewhere, because I'm getting a little bit of grassy, earthyness on the tail-end. But in a good way. The flavor lingers for a long time. I'm sold.

M- The body is totally standard, if not a little light for this style.

D- This is a fantastic, easy drinking hop-bomb. complex and flavorful, but not as harsh as many lower ABV IPAs out there (Lagunitas, I'm looking at you, pal). I could probably drink six of these easy... which is a frightening prospect at 10%.

goatxpower, Mar 31, 2009
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a tulip
A Pours a copper/amber/light orange color, cloudy unfiltered. Small one finger whiteish head.

S Big big hop, piney aroma, pick-up pineapple scent overall, with hints of apple and citrus.

T The spiciness of the hops comes out first, mellowing subtly with the honey flavor but the hop spice comes back to finish with a lingering spicy sour apple citrus finish. The mouth feel is spectacular, you can practically chew on it.

Despite the high alcohol this is surprisingly drinkable. Too bad it's a seasonal brew because I'm counting the days til it's triumphant return.

twduncan, Feb 06, 2011
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

Appears a slightly clouded apricot orange copper hue with a large white head leaves behind even streaks of lacing in my snifter glass. Aromatics have deep grapefruit peel explosions going on with a mild sugary malt presence with light grassy notes and mils biscuit malts with a huge alcohol presence in the nose. Flavor contains deep bitterness with the 109! IBUs bit at times each sip seemed to overwhelm me with the grapefruit peel oily feel to balance all I can detect is a very mild biscuit breadiness from a combonation of the yeast and malts complete coats the palate I just feel that it's a bit one dimensional with the citrus peel effect and boozy alcohol I'm down for a bit of some balance and I adore their Two Hearted so I figured they could pull off an incredible DIPA as well. Mouthfeel is medium to fuller bodied with strong carbonation and a sickingly oily texture tickles the nose with citrus pungency. Drinkability is mediocre for me an expressive and unique double IPA I'm just looking for more balance even within some huge hop bombs out there there's still a rediculous malt bill...after a bottle of this it would get hard to drink plus for 44 bucks a case I would pass on that quantity. I will continue to try I've already had it on draft side by side with Hop Wallop, kinda unimpressed with this supposed gem.

Update: bottled 12/29/11 released January 2012:

What can I say I'm burping up hop candy come and enjoy here's my review. I've drank this beer every year since it's release every year enjoying it a bit more...sadly I looked back at 2006 and didn't realize how low I had scored it then. Never re-reviewing to realize that I've definitely enjoyed it much more than that as a whole. Brewed 12-29-11 that's as fresh as a six of Hopslam gets, and I've got 3 six packs at about 17 bucks a pop. Appears a slightly hazed golden orange hue with a creamy white thicket of head forming thick with chunks of scattered lacing. Aroma is usually explosive with grapefruit peel in this beer, and it still is with a sugar coated layer of candied hops. So green so fresh with hops, I can't get enough of each smell no real booze coming out in the nose, but there's a deep ridden hop pungency that makes you recognize. Flavor wise this seems to have fermented out a good bit this year not much honey sweetness and the yeast ate the heavenly malts and honey to unleash the devilish ten percent alcohol, which is showing up a bit more than I've realized in the past. No big deal I'm warm in the chest and still enjoying one of the hoppiest beers around, get slammed by the hops. Mouthfeel is slick with hop oils carbonation really wraps itself around the palate, medium bodied flowing down. Overall a once a year beer experience that I won't soon forget, and look forward to every year.

WVbeergeek, Nov 28, 2006
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured into a new Belgium globe.

Appearance: Cloudy honey color. Poured a big white head that leaves really nice lacing.

Smell: Lots of hops....naturally. This is HopSlam. Very piney, some citrus, maybe some "herbs". Very hoppy. There might be a hint of sweetness from what malts are there and the honey in it.

Taste: Again, HOPS. Piney. Some grassy notes. There is a little malt sweetness to balance. This is very hoppy, but is not so bitterly unbalanced that it wants to turn my face inside out.

Mouth: Feels really smooth, and sweet. Goes down like a charm.

Drink: The smoothness of this is countered only by the 10% abv. Which is preasent only slightly. But, you do feel it. This could be a sneaky one!

turamarth, Jan 24, 2009
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

The elusive HopSlam, we finally meet again. It has been too long, since our last encounter and yet it is a new rendezvous as this is our first time in a bottle. Now, I divulge.

A- Poured into a pint glass and yields a finger thick head. It is golden with a small trace of sediment floating about.

S- From the time it hits the glass I knew that this would be a pleasant experience as the smells erupt into the room. A strong smell of grapefruit, piney, and floral hops are apparent in the nose, one of the better hop aromas known to man in this one.

T- Alright, the nose of this beer is not at all deceiving as the flavor explodes on the tongue with an initial grapefruit/citrus flavor followed by a piney and slightly resinous aspect. I would not quite say that this is balanced by its somewhat sweet characteristics, but these are present. After a couple minutes of taking a sip, the bitter, resinous hop flavor is still there. This is a treat for the tongue.

M- The mouthfeel is nice for this beer. After not taking any sips for a few minutes, there is certainly that sticky feel that I do appreciate that comes from a more balanced IPA. Not extremely dry.

D- It is somewhat surprising that this beer is 10%. This is a beer that would definitely creep up on me. I could have at least 2 of these, but I'm sure that I could go further.

Excellent beer. Forget what the haters say, get you some HopSlam, be happy, this reminds me how good a DIPA can be.

rigdont, Jan 19, 2011
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

a: very light pour with minimal head

s: the smell was the highlight for me, it has a citrus, followed by a real hoppy smell

t: tasted a lot like the smell with a citrus burst followed by a hoppy pine bitter taste - I really like the way it changed

m: good mouthfeel with a nice bitter ending to follow the citrus beginning

d: again, I could drink a lot of these if they didn't get you so whacked

TooleBurger, Feb 10, 2009
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

A - Amber color with a white foam head. Settles quickly. Some lacing is noted. I see no carbonation.

S - Fragrant smell of hop clover and some floral notes. Slight scent of citrus fruits. A scent of honey comes through as well.

T - Sweet flavors of tropical fruit comes through first. Some honey sweetness gives this a great contrast to the residual bitterness in the finish. This is a superior beer.

M - Given the ABV, the amount of hop resin in the beer, and that is so drinkable, I cannot see how a DIPA could be better.

O - Lives up to the billing. My palate seems to prefer Pliny a little more, but this is one of the best imperial IPA's ever made. Enjoy it with a bold meal that has heat, spice, or both.

socon67, Feb 15, 2014
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

Bottle dated 1-26-12, part of a sixer.

Appearance: Amber-orange haze I am getting used to seeing from IPAs. Wish I wasn't drinking this at night, I'd imagine the sunlight playing through this brew to be amazing.

Smell: Tropical. Definitely sniffing the mangoes other speak of; the pineapples are more elusive. VERY faint hop-funk. No hint of honey whatsoever, despite what the packaging says. Intoxicatingly awesome; I could smell this all day.

Taste: If Bruce Lee one-inch punched you in the throat wearing a burlap sack that a massive load of hops was just poured from, you'd be close to the initial salvo from this beer. BITTER. I am still getting used to the IPA style even as I'm falling in love with it. Bitterness quickly fades to be replaced with fantastic floral notes. Hint of sweetness in the back end just to let you know that the sun will come up tomorrow, though not reminiscent of honey. Perhaps the malt?

Mouthfeel: I feel most noobish in this category, so grain of salt. Ever so light carbonation, nothing to stop me from drinking the hell out of this.

Overall: It should say something that I have tried both 90 Minute IPA and Dreadnaught (also stellar Imperial IPAs) and was moved enough to review this one first. I'm too new to the style to say if it's worth the hype, but I'm glad I got the sixer. Beware the insane drinkability, 10% ABV is a monster!

fullmetal1381, Feb 29, 2012
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured into a tulip glass.

A: Slightly hazy golden-orange color with a bright white head. Retained pretty well and laced very nicely.

S: Do I have to say it. Very hoopy, mostly of a citrus variety, but I detect some sweet grassy notes as well. Also some notes of granny smith apples. Just a smidgen of malty sweetness manages to penetrate the wall of hops.

T: Surprisingly, not quite as hoppy as I expected, but that's just fine. Notes of citrus fruits, sweet grassy heather, puckering pine and a hint of caramel backbone. Definitely a hop bomb, but with a substantial malt taste to boot.

M: Heavy and thick, with moderately low carbonation. The beer massages the tongue nicely and finishes fairly clean, save a very bitter aftertaste.

D: A sipper that rewards taking it slow. May go well with a rich dinner dish.

This beer achieves a rare feat: being a balanced hop bomb. Yes, the hops are very much running the show, but I appreciated the strong malt character, which kept things from getting too crazy. A great brew and certainly deserving of MOST of the praise it gets.

PirateUlf73, Feb 27, 2009
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours a nice amber color with a slight head that manages to maintain a little lacing.

This beer smells like unadulterated hops.

The taste follows the smell. Lots of hops with a slight biscuity finish.

The beer has a good feel and a dry finish.

Super dry, almost like a cactus. Fairly drinkable, though.

RomaniIteDomum, Mar 17, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

Thanks again to ericwo for sending me this. Poured a nice golden honey color into the glass with a nice white two finger head that slowly dissipated leaving lacing all the way down the glass.The nose is citrus, hoppy and honey. There is a faint smell in the nose that is a little reminiscent of cheese. The taste is solid. Delicious citrus hops that open up more with each sip. Hints of honey, grapefruit, pine and hop resin come through early. There's a bit of bite in the initial taste that is smoothed over by honey in the finish. The beer rolls over your tongue and kind of coats your mouth. The honey really balances this out and keeps the hops in check, making it very, very drinkable. I wish they made this year round, this would be the perfect beer to have on hand in your fridge at all times.

PretzelCity, Jan 24, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours out a nice dark yellow with a finger, white head with good retention.

Smell is nice tropical with honey. The honey really works well with the hops. Taste is nice tropical with perfect bitterness as it goes down the throat. Really a nice beer.

Crass3000, Feb 06, 2012
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

Hopslam pours a light golden copperish color with a nice .5 inch white foamy head.

Smells of of honey sweetness with grapefruit hops. I also pick up a grass scent.

Tastes nice and sweet with a fruity hop presence. Not overwhelmingly sweet though.

Mouthfeel is a crisp sting of carbonation with a oily hop residue. Leaves a long lasting aftertaste.

Drinkability is not the highest for me cause of its high alcohol content and sweetness.

BigBlacke, Jan 25, 2011
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

This brew pours a deep and rusty orange color with about a finger and a half worth of fluffy thick white foam. The carbonation is moderate. The smell is...but hop and malt, and surprisingly balanced. There's a rich hop character that's just mixed in with this but sweet malt presence. If I say so...the whole thing smells thick, but not in a bad way...just very full flavored.

Glug glug glug

A mellow sweetness hit and is very quickly over taken by an array of hop flavors. Much more herbal than sweet IMO. There is definitely a clover honey kind of taste from both the malt (for the sweetness) and the hops (for the clover/floral flavor). Over all this is a big DIPA that I already know gets better as it warms and the hops begin to flourish more distinctly. Possibly a bit of fruitiness towards the end of the flavor. Mouth feel is full and a little heavy, but certainly not too bad.

Thur123, Feb 09, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

Bottle (2011 batch) poured into a tulip glass. Dark orange, mostly clear with just a slight amount of haze. Initial half a finger of large bubble white colored head dissipated to the surface of the beer, leaving a bit of lacing. No carbonation visible from the edge of the glass, though a little swirling forces some carbonation to move up before settling into nothing.

Nose is sweet citrus (tangerine and grapefruit), tropical fruit (mango and passion fruit), a bit of dank hops. Balanced by some bready malts.

Taking a sip, citrus and dank wet pine hops hits pretty hard initially, but fades into sweet fruits and biscuit, finishing with a bit of alcohol warmth. A light lingering hops bitterness on the back of the tongue.

Very little carbonation that barely tickles the tongue contributes to a slick sweet syrupy mouthfeel. Alcohol is definitely present in the taste and its warmth, reminding me to take it slow with this one.

nataku00, Jan 27, 2011
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

12oz received in trade from jdoncbus ... I had one.. my trading partner had the other ... we both thank you John. Mine poured into my New Belgium snifter.

2 finger head ... leaves spotty but clingy lacing ... hop hazed dark gold/light orange brew.

Aroma is abundantly citrus zest ... smells literally like somebody squeezed an overripe grapefruit into a nicely malted brew.

Flavor is ooohhhh so balanced.. very nice citric/grapefruity hoppy profile... Again.. tastes very fresh. Just enough bitterness to strap down the middle of the road pale malt sweetness.. a little crystal but no caramel. Light/medium body with nice carbonation. Drinkable doesn't describe it... I want a never ending keg .. I could enjoy this one every day and always find something to key on.. something to make me enjoy just being lucky enough to have this as an everyday beer.

Per Steven .. "this is a Great beer ... this is a sittin in the sun floatin the river beer." He is right ... and it is still fantastic when the cold wind is blowing in Boise.

Another big props to trader jdoncbus... John we must again work something out... Now I just wish I had access to all the fantastic hoppy wonders you do... lucky bastard.

JohnGalt1, Feb 15, 2008

Poured into a tulip from a 12oz bottle

A- A burnt orange or copper color, whit rocky head with about 2 finger worth of head on it

S- Amazing really tropical, grapefruit, pine needles, with a sweetness deff can get the honey

T- Bitter right at the front, big grapefruit, tropical notes, really smooth and well balanced the alcohol cant be detected at all

M- Medium, great carbonation, smooth and it coats the mouth...wonderfully put together

O- Outstanding beer, well put together, will deff be getting this again

DustinSmall, Feb 02, 2012
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle poured into my lost abbey stemware glass

Appearance: Light amber/orange with a 1,5 inch head . Lots of lacing

Smell: potent hops, grapefruit, pineapple, honey , mango

Taste: very bittersweet, some grapefruit, rich caramel malts, honey, pine , mango

Mouthfeel: medium light body, nice carbonation, very drinkable for 10% alc.

Overall: An incredible imperial ipa. I love how bitter and drinkable this is. An outstanding IPA. I usually like them extremely fruity but this one is perfect.

beerpirates, Mar 16, 2013
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into Hess truck glass at parents' house...

Single-finger head with average lacing. Perfect honey-orange body.

Flowery hop bitterness with sweet honey aroma and perfumy alcohol burn on back of nostrils.

Taste brings a little grapefruit but primarily a nice blend of flowers, alcohol, honey and apple. This is nice stuff.

Slightly syrupy but clean on the mouth - tough to gauge if served a little cold.

This is easily drinkable for 1-2 - gets a little heavy on the back end. Overall, extremely well-made.

IBUnit63, Mar 01, 2008
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

Once again poured from bottle into pint glass after work. Bottled 6 months prior.

Appearance: Pours a clear pale orange/yellow bottle with a medium white head and no lacing.

Smell: Actually not as hoppy as I would expect, its a smooth tropical and citrus mix.

Taste: First of all, I would have no idea that this is a 10% ABV. It's sooo smooth and the hop's age well in the bottle, it's not as "boom" in my face as a fresher bottle. The fruit notes and hops are great.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Such a good blend for a clear American imperial IPA.

julian89, May 19, 2012
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

Served in a 12oz snifter. Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically.

Appearance: As served the beer is a nice dark tangerine color with a 1/8" white head that receded to a ring and an irregular shaped film of foam on the surface of the liquid. Throughout the beer sipping left some nice, but sparse lacing.

Smell: The aroma has a soft pleasant almost floral citric character that mingles together some orange, tangerine and lemon flower with some hints of malt and honey.

Taste: Much as expected from the nose, the complex flavor of the beer is almost sweet with honey and malt backbone and it is almost bitter with the flavors of orange zest and tangerine. But the flavor is also unexpected from the nose as there are some tropical fruits thrown in for good measure.

Mouthfeel: The mouth feel is full to medium bodied and smooth, with moderate but persistent carbonation that lasts throughout the beer. The finish is long and gentle with hop flavors riding on the sweetness until they gradually fade away leaving a slight dryness that invites the next sip.

Drinkability: This is a first rate DIPA that is well made and very very drinkable. I could easily have another right now but will pass because of the ABV. I'm sure I'll be having this again. One particularly nice thing about this beer is that one can taste the hops without the tongue rasping that characterizes many DIPAs. But that being said, for me this is not at the top of my short list simply because out of the bottle and with a bit more age I can pick up traces of the honey which is something I prefer more hidden or not in the beer at all. I like this one much better on tap.

drtth, Jan 15, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

a: pours a hazy orange color with about a half inch of head that dissapears slowly leaving only a hint of lacing

s: sweet citrusy/grapefruity hop bitterness there is also a very present piny bitter aroma

t: starts of with a sweet caramel flavor but quickly overtaken in a pleasant way by the hop bitterness. Piny, citrusy, grapefruity all of those distinct hop bitternesses can be detected

m: medium bodied beer with good carbonation

overall, this is an amazing brew i loved it, not something to have a lot of at a time though

happygnome, Jun 15, 2009
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.