Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Hopslam Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

YOUR RATING = None |

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by beernbbq on 04-14-2004

Reviews: 3,437 | Ratings: 12,536
2.42/5  rDev -45.5%

I do not think this is a fair review because of my taste in beers, but I do not get what all the fuss (and the premium price) is about. It smells good, but was so alcohol forward could barely taste the hops. I prefer the APA and milder IPAs where you can actually taste hops and not get overwhelmed with the booze flavor. Doesn't taste like beer; would rather drink vodka. Glad I was able to buy as a single can, was only able to finish 1/4th of it. As a general disclaimer my wife liked it.

2.89/5  rDev -34.9%

2016 vintage poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Ooooohhh boy. This one's a bit of a mess. A big, sweet, syrupy mess.

The best part of this beer is the appearance. It pours golden orange with a heathy head that is retained for a while and which leaves a bunch of lacing in my glass.

Things start going wrong in the nose. It's sickly sweet. Like simple syrup or honey with a hint of hop bitterness.

The initial flavors are bracingly bitter (which is nice) but that's quickly followed up with honey sweetness. The problem with this one is the ABV. To achieve this ABV you have to use so much honey or malt and that detracts from the hops in my opinion. Also, at 10% it's hard to enjoy this one. It's boozy and hot. Goes straight to your head. I don't mind a RIS or Barleywine weighing in at 10%+ ABV because I can cellar them for a bit to mellow. This beer is meant to be drank fresh and at 10% that's a bit rough.

4.5/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a nice, bright deep orange with some haze and about a finger worth of head. Aroma is not as pronounced as I was expecting, yet hop notes are present along with some malt sweetness. Taste is one huge hop bomb with a really nice malty backend that balances it all out nicely and the feel is perfect for a double IPA.

4.54/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clear deep gold or pale amber producing 2 fingers of off-white, moderately lasting, frothy head that leaves a nice coating of lace. Aroma is almost equal amounts of grapefruit & resinous pine, backed by caramel malt, a hint of honey, with orange & pineapple well defined in the mix. Taste is caramel malt, orange, grapefruit & pineapple swimming in a sea of pine resin. A hint of honey. Very bitter finish & aftertaste. Incredibly balanced for such a hop heavy brew. Mouthfeel is medium to heavy bodied, rich, smooth & thick with moderate carbonation.

4.73/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into my favorite glass, my Lost Abbey stemmed tulip, canned on 1/28/16. Pours a perfect bright orange with a 2 inch sticky white head that leaves nice lace behind.

Smell is peach, mango, papaya, pine, and grapefruit.

Taste follows, loads of tropical fruits, with pine and grapefruit taking over in the surprisingly balanced finish.

Mouthfeel is on the larger side, moderate carbonation which is perfect, on the lush side, and 10% never went down easier!

Overall this is my 600 the review and 900 hundred rating and I couldn't have chosen a better beer to hit this milestone with. Thanks @jzeilinger for taking this off my bucket list!

4.6/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Can Date: 2/1/16
Palate Contaminants: salty cheese

It showed up in my area, so not having had it, I'm obligated, right?

Appearance is a clear light gold, lacing is about perfect.

Smell is nicely florally hoppy, not overbearing. A little barley, too. A lil alky-hall.

Taste is really mellow at first, followed by a little bitterness and a little sweetness. When I'm looking for balance, this is what I want: complexity without dominance. (Okay, stating the obvious there.) It's more pine than citrus, but there's also a bit of savoriness that I didn't even know was possible with a hop bomb.

It's so smooth, I could chug it. At the non-Michigan price, I'll just have to gradually enjoy. There was some noticeable alcohol on the nose, but I suppose that dissipates once it's out of the bottle (or can).

I guess I'm going to keep an eye out for it this time next year.

4.65/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Finally had a chance to try this one and the wait was worth it. What more can I say that has not been said a million times before about this beer? The one thing I will say is that I was worried this would be a little too sweet for me, but not at all. It's just about perfect

4.01/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Canned on 2/1/2016. Body is a nice bright golden orange color, slight hop haze with a good amount of carbonation streaming up towards a tightly packed off-white head. The alcohol legs post up immediately along the sides of my snifter. Upon first smell, I got nothing. Swirling the glass opened the beer up a little, but I was still hunting for what I was smelling. Sweet caramel malts, honey, candied citrus, spicy pine, apricot and faint tropical notes. Good mouth feel on this one; an initial spritz of carbonation makes the beer feel light but it transitions towards a chewier consistency. A nice sweet citrusy flavor throughout with a nice lingering aftertaste. Not overly sweet and doesn't feel bitter at all. On the taste I get a lot of honey comb, grapefruit, canned clementines, caramel, pine, a sweet maltiness, and spicy herbal hops. Never really understood the hype for this one.

4.6/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 ounce can poured into a snifter

A: Pours a dark orange color with a white head, no head retention, low carbonation, slight lacing, looks hazy, cloudy.

A: Pine, resin, grapefruit peel, hint of honey, touch of malts, no alcohol on the nose, big pungent aromas.

T: Big hit of pine and resin, like chewing pine needles, some grapefruit peel, hit of bitterness, finish is more grapefruit peel balanced with malts, touch of honey balances out the beer, very tasty.

M: Medium bodied, low carbonation, semi-dry finish.

O: This is very good, lots of hop notes, good amount of malts, and a touch of honey to add some sweetness. I would drink this again if I had the chance. A big, balanced IIPA that is worthy of the hype.

4.15/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 oz Can dated 012016 @ 17:06, tasted 022416 @ 18:36

A — Pours a hazy and vibrant orange hue into the glass. A puffy, cream colored head forms and settles, leaving behind some solid rings of lacing with each sip.

S — Smell is dominated by some nice honey notes, a bit of floral lavender, resinous, piney, chewy, lemon, candied ginger, some caramely sweet notes and some lightly toasted bready notes, quite sweet and subdued.

T — Candied hops, ginger, lemon, orange peel, grapefruit, blood orange, melon, citrus rind and pith, bitter pine needles and earth, some honeyed sweetness.

M — Slightly warming and rich, a really smooth and clean finish, slightly lingering and chewy, very nice.

O — Excellent overall, like gnawing on a candied hop flower. Very much reminiscent of Hoptimum, but not quite as aggressive, still spectacular.

I don't know what I can add everything is been said. If you haven't tried it you need to. You will not forget it! It will stay in the back of your mind for the whole year until it comes out again. It has for me every year for about six years now.

I love this beer!!

4.43/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a tulip glass. Amber hue, slight cloudiness and a nice format head that left white lacing on the glass between sips. Aroma is mellow... Honey and hops. The taste...wasn't blown away at first but by the 3-4 sip this Bree starts to shine. Beautifully balanced, a touch honey sweet and extremely drinkable... Like sessionable. Damn good ale I finally had the chance to try

4.39/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Look - A glowing golden honey color. Hazy in the glass.
Smell - Big pop of honey sweetness on the nose. Also get some citrus, some light mango along with some grapefruit aromas.
Taste - More of that big honey sweetness coming thru on the palate. Orange, citrus, grapefruit, slight tropical fruitiness is there as well. The 10% is there.....but drinks very smooth for such a high ABV.

Overall - Not sure its worth all the hype....but this is a damn good DIPA.

4.66/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Overly carbonated pour that makes a 3 finger head. Dark honey color.
Juicy citrus, sweet melon.
Loads of hops, ripe citrus, sweet malt, slight alcohol in the back.
Medium heavy mouthfeel that coats mouth. Alcohol is present.
Nice dipa that holds it's own, but there are better offerings.

4.69/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This was a nice Double IPA.

-The malt and hop balance played well. The IPA starts off hoppy, but finishes with a stronger malt character. The hoppy character stays throughout despite the malt character coming through as the beer warms.

4.35/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours clear golden honey with small white head, smells of citrusy pine slight florally sweetness from honey, tastes of pine and citrus with florally honey and slight alcohol bite, mouthfeel is smooth medium bodied, carbonation is moderate, finish is lasting and bitter.

4.41/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cans! Also first time.

Stamped on the bottom PKG 12716. Dating machine is misguided, as the relevant info is stamped halfway through the bottom lip of the can.

A: Aggressive pour gives two finger dark khaki head. Not quite to creamy up top, with large bubbles forming the side. Beer itself is a golden orange. Translucent, with a ton of very tiny particulent floating in suspension. Carbonation is subdued, with the odd bubble floating to the surface every few seconds. Retention is pretty minimal. Head collapses in the course of 30-45 seconds.

S: Smells like a bruiser. Big malts from the glass. Sweet malted barley, heather honey, honey (duh). Hops lend towards the more west coast style. Some pine, some grapefruit. Stone fruits are more pronounced. Pears, apples, some peachiness.

T: First word that comes to mind is balance. While obviously hoppy, there is more than enough malt here to compensate. Shot of sweetness from the honey up front, immediately cut by stone fruit skin. Think the bitterness of pear or apple rind. Malt wins out towards the mid palate, but a sharp tropical spiciness takes over before the sugars completely run away with it. These two flavor sets intermingle towards the finish, where the malt eventually wins out with a pleasantly, but not overly, sweet finish. The fruity hoppiness encores in the aftertaste, with the same spicy tropical and peach notes being the final flavors of each sip.

For several sips I agitated it on my tongue for a few seconds before taking the drink. Starts off sweet, but this fades into a distinct fruity bitterness each time. Further agitation made the bitterness more pronounced, taking on a borderline green tannin type flavor. This agitation also opened up the 10% ABV, leaving a noticeable warmth on the back of the tongue and nasal cavities. The IBU's must be pretty high, since the bitterness really sticks around after all is said and done.

M: Feels a bit shy of its 10%, but still a big beer. The sweetness of the honey helps to accentuate the roundness in the mouthfeel, which has subdued carbonation. The "weight" of the beer can really be felt if one chews it. It effectively sticks to one's palate and teeth. God knows how many carbohydrates are in a single can. The astringent hop presence in the end dries the beer out substantially in the finish, with the alcohol only becoming really noticeable if one continues to swirl in the mouth.

O: This is exceptional. I bought it because it's new to my region, but I was skeptical due to its reputation as being old hack as far as DIPA's are concerned. I was also concerned because many had stated that several vintages were subpar. I'm glad I picked this up. At $20 a sixer, it's very well priced. Many would balk at the tag, but it equates to less than 8 bucks a bomber. That's more than fair for a beer of this quality. I'm very happy to have picked it up. Top notch stuff. It's a classic for a reason.

4.46/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A very enjoyable, well balanced beer. Pours a fizzy golden orange but carbonation is normal. Head lasts a while for such a high ABV. Lots of grapfruit and melon on the nose. Is a little sweet but still crisp and relatively easy to drink all things considered. Bitterness is there but balanced. A pleasure to sip on. The hop flavor is citrusy and a hint of honey and melon. Not super hoppy or dank like more modern DIPA's. I think I'll take this over ruination 2.0 or some of the hoppier big IPA's running around lately.

4.76/5  rDev +7.2%

look - looks delicious, golden color with 3 inches of white head.
smell - not too much aroma but you get the honey and citrus.
taste - citrus and honey and it has a sweet start and bitter finish.
feel - medium body, balanced well with the sweet and bitterness.
overall - damn good beer.

4.59/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours - cloudy orange copper color, massive white head that seems will never go away great lacing one of the best looking pours I have had.

Smell - Very juicy nose I am getting orange some tangerine some hops very citrusy.

Taste - This is amazing very juicy lots of orange and grapefruit for a 10% ABV I get no alcohol this could be dangerous nice hop flavor as well.

Feel - Medium body little dry no burn and no sign of the alcohol.

Overall - An amazing beer well worth what I paid even though it was a little steep I think it was worth it.

This is my second year drinking Hopslam. About time I did a review.
Poured into a snifter.
A - Pours an opaque orange with a thick white foamy head. Settles to a solid ring and broken up cap.
S - The aroma is all citrus, like tangerine.
T - The flavor is wonderfully balanced. It's bready and mango/citus and a bit of bitterness. The honey adds sweetness and may be the key to its unique flavor. And you can feel the ABV in the first few sips.
M - Creamy is the word I would use. Carbonation is medium.
O - This is a very special beer and rates as one of the perfect beers in my opinion. That's right, if you look at my ratings, I have this up there with Heady and slightly better than Pliny.

4.53/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Consumed 27 days after canning from a tulip glass. The pour was a mild hazy tint with golden/orange color. The head was very light, white, and lacy. Absolutely great hop aroma. First sip was a delicious hop taste. Overall, most favorable dipa to date. Perfect citrus notes.

4.3/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Well, I had to fly to Puerto Rico for two days worth of business meetings to finally have a chance to try Hopslam. It was worth it. I took a Taxi to La Taberna Lúpulo and asked if they had Hopslam..."on tap or a can?" is what I heard in response. I begin to tear up.

I ordered it on tap and was not disappointed.

Clear copper body with a thin white head. Great retention.

Not a huge DIPA aroma...but I actually found this intriguing. I knew this beer was under 4 weeks old...and not a west coast beer...so I actually kind of liked the midwest scent. Smelled fresh and hoppy without going overboard.

Big beer in every way, with an incredible balance. This is why the beer is so sought after. You can taste some of the booze, but there's a very good balance of hops and honey sweetness. I actually think the mouthfeel is nearly perfect as i found myself gulping bigger sips

I gotta say, it's a wonderful beer. The balance is superb...and it's certainly not a west coast hop bomb that seems to be the "preferred" IPA these days.

Very glad to have a chance to finally try it and certainly not disappointed.

4.49/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz can. Pours bright orange with slight haze, the finger fluffy white head, fades slowly. Big fruity hoppy aroma with sweet malt touch. Delish balanced taste of juicy fruity hops, honey sweetness, nice malt backbone. Bitterness comes in at the end, mostly citrus peel with a bit of pine. Medium creamy soft mouthfeel, touch of alcohol. Very good DIPA, just like I remembered it.

4.62/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours clear, orange-brown in color with one inch head. Taste is wet hops, orange, citrus, and hemp. Super tasty, nice mix of bitter and sweet. Worth every bit of hype. This is a delicious IPA. Do not taste the alcohol. I could drink this all night. Right up there with my favorite beers from a great brewery. I will fight tooth and nail to find this next year. Just an amazing beer. About as good an imperial IPA as can be.

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.