Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Hopslam Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

YOUR RATING = None |

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by beernbbq on 04-14-2004

Reviews: 3,437 | Ratings: 12,535
4.77/5  rDev +7.4%

Another beer trade from my mid-western friends. 12 oz bottle in a pint glass...sorry, for Grant, IPA's go in a pint glass.

Appearance - cloudy orange (Chill haze?), very little off-white head, but my pour may be the culprit.

Smell - Citrus, very crisp and acidic. Green and grapefruit.

Taste - Distinctive citrus hop taste. Cascades in this one? Words escape me when I encounter a beer of this caliber...then again maybe I'm seduced by the hops.

Mouthfeel - slight burn, but not overly dry or alcoholic. Thick but not unpleasant lingering.

Drinkability - Pleasantly bitter. This is one of my favorite styles, so perhaps I'm biased. I could drink this for weeks, and no, I'm not at all disparaged by the alcohol content. For a spring or Summer brew you can't go wrong with this, very 4th of July.

4.77/5  rDev +7.4%

I cannot say enough good things about this beer. It pours well, not much head, great color, a bit cloudy or thick looking. The aroma is amazing, fruity, hoppy, and very enticing. The taste blew me away. I was expecting a big beer, and got one...now I can't stop drinking it. It has a nice balance, not too bitter, but it will ruin your palate for anything else. I could drink this beer all day and am getting worried about what I will be drinking when it is gone....that will be a sad day.

4.77/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured 12 oz bottle into pint glass.

A: Pale reddish-amber. Thin film of foam, but lacing up my entire glass.

S: Loads of citrus. Grapefruit, pineapple, tangerine, orange. Hops also there. Then sort of a mellow play between the sweetness and the bitterness.

T: Tropical fruit and hops. Screams a delicious grapefruit. Honey-sweetness, but with nice hop bittering for balance. Not malty, but not really hoppy either.

M: Nice medium body, light carbonation, very smooth.

D: Just awesome. A great beer, hides the 10% pretty well too. Had this on tap a couple of times in Jan. and Feb. so I have experienced it fresh and the hop profile was bigger, but I have no problem rating it how I did. Possibly my favorite from Bell's.

4.77/5  rDev +7.4%

Epic. I'd say that's the one word that can do this beer justice. Onslaught would have also been acceptable, but that's besides the point. I poured this one into the Duvel sifter and let it sit for about fifteen minutes while I let it warm and took in the aroma.

A - Pale tangerine coloration which settled to a murky golden orangle with a slight glow. Thin head, decent retention and lacing. Looks like some sort of potion.

S - Gorgeous aroma of peaches, apricots, and hops. You could turn this into a perfume scent Bell's!

T - Addicting hop blast and I do mean addicting. Nice citrusy backing with tons of different fruit notes; apple, grape, peach, grapefruits, and probably more. All of this carries over into a sweet aftertaste. There is a good malt backbone but it doesn't (thankfully) interfere with the hop potency.

M - Warming full body, which is the only part of this brew that even hints to the abv, low carbonation level, dry finish, sweet aftertaste.

D - Anytime anywhere. Watch out though, this one will sneak up on you and brutally beat you BMTH style. This is probably one of the most amazing beers I've ever had. Reco without a doubt.

4.77/5  rDev +7.4%

Sooo much hype - thanks to my little brother for sending me some from Morehead, MN. As NC and SC seem to be out.

A: Pours honey golden amber/brown, two finger head.

S: LOVE the nose on this one! Sweet, with lots of hops. Touch of honey as expected.

T: Has a ton of hop flavor, but not a bitter as I expected. I was thinking something along the line of DFH 90 minute, maybe its the honey that mellows it out. Tons of flavors!

M: Soooo smooth. A great tingle at the end. Perfect carbonation.

D: One in a sitting is the limit here, tried having a second bottle as it was just too much for my palate. Grab one a savor it!

This beer is fantastic!

I was expecting a typical hop bomb, which is still a good thing, but this is different. The hoppiness is definitely there but mellowed out somewhat by the honey, making it the most drinkable beer I've ever had at 10% abv. I can't buy it locally and I'm wishing I had more. Phenomenal.

4.77/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours out a semi-cloudy orange with some floaties. Fingers worth of white head that leaves just faint lacing. Those particles stay suspended until I drink them...only a few have settled on the bottom.

Aroma of fresh citrus hops only gets better as it warms up. I'm picking up some fruits I have never really noticed in hoppy beers like pineapple and papaya. It reminds me of tropical fruit salad.

This is a DIPA all the way. No cloying sweetness as some others have. Just enough malt to barely notice it in the background. Nicely bitter but not "squint you eyes and pucker up" bitter. I find all the fruits I noticed in the aroma making an appearance in the flavor. Citrus stand hops are present from beginning to end.

Very smooth and easy to drink for a DIPA. The abv , although it's over 9%, isn't noticeable and that's impressive. Larry did one hell of a job on this one. Now, can we get him to make this one a bit more frequently?

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Picked up a fresh six pack from my bottle store today. Poured from a bottle into my Founders (I know, I know...) tulip glass. Aggressive pour yields a solid 1 inch head that lingers, and lingers... Slowly dissipates leaving excellent lacing sticky to the glass. The color? This is what this style should be, a hazy orange gold tint. Big up front hop kick in the nose with solid boozy smell behind. Exactly what I wanted. Taste? I can only imagine what this is like on tap if it's this delicious out of the bottle!! Very similar to Doom, without Doom's overpowering alcohol kick. Loads of piney bitter hops, held in check by the honey to balance them out. For a ten percenter, this is a very drinkable beer! The sweetness of the honey is the perfect balance to the hops. This beer takes the sting out of a cold bitter Michigan winter night. Damn good beer!

4.77/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

P: Pours a golden apricot body with a swirly micro bubble tornado in the middle. Capped with a thin creamy white top with sudsy lacing glistening from the sides.

S: A cornucopia of juicy tropical fruits, natural honey, accented by spices and medium toast malts. Can't stop sniffing this.

T/M: Follows the nose with juicy fruits, honey dew melon, cantaloupe, mango, grapefruit, pineapple, tropical bubblicious, timid fresh pine needles and earthy honey drizzled granola. I get hints of corn alcohol, toasted grain and lightly smoldered pine wood. Hops are pronounced and assertive but not overly bitter. Booze is a tad harsh and warms the senses. Medium- full bodied that is sticky and gracefully carbonated. Lingers pomegranate, berries and honey. Leaves a drying film on the palate similar to sharp cheddar cheese.

O: I just love highly hopped brews that don't smack you with harsh bitterness but truly highlight and display the lush flavor of the hops. This is a masterpiece of complexity and harmony. This beer mimics me of a tropical fruit Naked juice but with alcohol. Only down side is availability and the price.

4.77/5  rDev +7.4%

A - Deep, rich bronze with a finger high head of white foam which sticks all over the side of my glass.

S - I hear they added more hops... Ok maybe I am lying because this is the first year I've tried this sucker, but dag, hops. Peaches and pineapples were what came to mind first, but there is a distinct tinge of musty hop resin as well. The back end hides a small waft of malty toffee.

T - Brutally bitter hops that run the gamut in terms of variation of flavor. All the tropical fruits are there; pineapple, mango, peach, grapefruit. And the spicy, musty and earthy characteristics of the hops is also present. There's only a malt backbone so that you don't wet yourself with the intensity of the hops. And a touch of honey of course, but this is not a sweet beer, that stuff fermented all out leaving the flavor essences of the raw stuff... pretty cool.

M - Medium on the mouthfeel; there is some creaminess to this brew. Does not seem overly carbonated to me, pretty nice for the style.

D - Err, this is 10%? I should watch myself because I'm thinking the six pack will go in a day or two. The only downfall to this beer is price, but compared to many other DIPAs it's a bargain!

4.77/5  rDev +7.4%

My favorite double IPA to date. Pours a nice amber color, smell sensation with citrusy hops and some I couldn't describe. Just delicious. The hop taste is just perfect. I was glad I decided to split this six pack because the alcohol was so well disguised I would have been in a world of hurt later. My friend is not really a beeradvocate and he loved it. Must try!

4.77/5  rDev +7.4%

To date, the best beer I have ever tasted. This was my first experience with this beer and I am already on my second case. Poured from 12 oz. bottle in to pint glass. Pours a golden with minimal white head. From the first sniff of this beer I was hooked. It seriously smells like freshly cut fruit drizzled with honey. The flavor does not disapoint. It is the perfect belend of bitter and sweet. Bitter hops, citrus, peach, honey... Moderate carbonation, very nice mouthfeel. I am hooked.

4.77/5  rDev +7.4%

hats off to ratpack554 for the bottle.

after enjoying the crap out of Two Hearted, i was super-stoked to try this one...

A - cloudy bronze w/ a 2 finger creamy off-white head

S - citrus/floral hops, orange, lots of honey and some candied fruit -delicious, can't wait to dig in

T - as one would expect from a beer called "hopslam" there is a massive hop punch in the face, followed by an explosion of citrus goodness, but all backed by an o-so-sweet malt. You can really taste the honey in this beer, and boy is it good. some apple comes through as well before a perfectly bitter close, that leaves me begging for MORE. (10% is extremley well hidden)

MF - lively and highly carbonated, a tad oily, but very light for 10%

D - too high for a beer with such a high abv. (this is a good thing) the goes down smooth as hell, way too easy to quaff.

i thought 2hearted was the beesnees(sp?) but then i had hopslam...Larry Bell i beg you to distribute in Colorado!

12oz bottle

i was lucky enough to drink 7 of these in the past 3/4 months. took notes through out, and the conclusion is that this beer is absolutely killer. Beautiful orange brown color, small white head. Amazing pine notes in the nose, sweetened grapefruit and orange peel, lots of earthy grassy hops battle with the fresh, semi sweet citrusy hops, all of this is overseen by a very rugged malty backbone adding incredible balance. Coating but smooth, the 10% ABV is completely masked by the beers more than impressive flavor profile. Some say this beer is best fresh but i was equally impressed with every single bottle i cracked open, my most recent being 11/2/08. Cant wait to get some more this year. Safe to say i highly recommend this one.

4.77/5  rDev +7.4%

Odd to say but complex and simply great finish.
Hops and honey and Bells.
It poured wonderfully as I sat in front of the tap.
So often the uber hoppy dries your mouth before you set the glass down. Not here. After earlier on the day stating that two hearted may become Bells flagship, here now is Hopslam.

4.77/5  rDev +7.4%

A: A nice amber/gold color with nice head.

S: The aromas from this beer are incredible. The grapefruit and citrus scents intoxicate my nose.

T: As good as the smell. The immense hop flavors mix with the honey just right and it does not get much better than this.

D: Extremely drinkable for the amount of alcohol.

One of the best beers out there for sure.

4.77/5  rDev +7.4%

This is the first beer that I've felt the need to review...

In a word, it's "lethal".

I first picked up a 6 of this along with a 4 of Burton Baton that I wanted to save for later... After accidentally working through the entire 6 of the far too drinkable HopSlam, I awoke the next day to find 2 of the Baton's gone as well... Pretty much, this is 10% that goes down like water after a long run...

Appearance is light apricot. smooth white head poured into tulip glass.

Taste is hops upon hops. Heavy grapefruit. Honey faintly lingers on finish. Finish is very long.

I really can't add anything that hasn't been said already, outside of the fact that this is just far too drinkable. I'm going to have to hide the case, and only refrigerate 2 at a time...

4.77/5  rDev +7.4%

At the Blue Door Pub, poured into a Bell's tulip.

A- apricot with a frothy white head that leaves a sticky white lacing.

S- Pineapple dominates the nose on this beast. Orange peel and a pine smell linger in the background.

T- again, pineapple dominates. It fades away, though, leaving a bitter pine with a perfectly-balanced orange peel at the finish.

M- A perfectly correographed dance of carbonation and medium thickness.

O- I wish this was available year-round! I try to drown myself in other brews during the interim each year, just to try to forget how much I miss this beer. For now, I will enjoy it as often as possible.

4.77/5  rDev +7.4%

Had on the Firkin at the Bell's Eccentric Cafe.

Nice color, spot on for the style. Nice head. Big, juicy hop aroma.... So good. The taste was clean, fresh hop flavor. Bitter but sweet. Excellent. Slight alcohol warmth as the beer warmed. Great beer, seek out if possible. Great on cask, butter smooth.

4.77/5  rDev +7.4%

Picked up a couple of sixers at Total Wine and More yesterday for $14.99. Also picked up two sixers at BevMo for $16.99.

Beer poured orange with a nice white head that is leaving lacing behind. Nose is perfect, totally perfumed by citrus hops, even halfway into the bottle! Taste is sweet, citrus hops greet you kindly with sweet honey lingering nicely in the background. Strong malt backbone blends in to keep things nicely balanced. Mouthfeel is silky smooth from the honey and malts, a full bodied brew that glides nicely across the palate. Drinkability is perfect, the high abv is well hidden. The honey makes this a sweet brew but also makes it dangerously drinkable! There has been a lot of chatter about this brew in the forums lately and i can definitely see why it is highly touted!

4.77/5  rDev +7.4%

A: Lightly golden colored. Good half inch head on top. good amount of lacing down the side of the glass.

S: Sweet, malty, citrusy, piney. This beer smells absolutely amazing.

T: Taste is exceptional. It starts out a little sweet and malty and then finishes w/ a bitter citrus piney taste. This beer is perfectly balanced. The taste of the honey comes through and helps to blend all of the flavors through perfectly.

M: Medium body. A little creamy feeling.

D: Very drinkable beer. At 10% and with a truckload of hops this beer will knock you out if you drink too many though. I saw it happen last night.

Bottom Line: This is one special brew. I think it is my new favorite DIPA. I was scared it wouldn't live up to the hype but i can certaintly say that it does and possibly surpasses it. If you can get your hands on this beer definitely pick up a case while supplies last. It's worth every penny even at 60 dollars a case. You won't be disappointed.

4.77/5  rDev +7.4%

Had this beer on tap at the always impressive Common Market in Charlotte NC. The golden color is consistant with a beautiful white head that you just know is going to smell amazing.
No surprises here in the smell, just bliss. Super hoppy, very very floral. Notes of grapefruit, pine, and honey are brightly obvious. The smell is sweet and zesty with hops, can't wait for the taste!
The taste is so crisp and hoppy. The hops are very floral, sweet and not too bitter. This IPA doesn't numb up your tongue which I'm happy to report. The honey used in the wort cuts a lot of what would be very bitter flavorings and allows you to get all the flavor subtleness and clean floral character. Finishes with a great honey malt sweetness that lingers in the top of your palate along with a fantastic but not overpowering hop crisp pine and grapefruit sharpness.
Huge fan of this beer, grab it while you can and get it off tap if you can find it!

4.77/5  rDev +7.4%

On tap at Union Jacks HopSlam night. MY LORD.

A: Poured into a 10 oz or so tulip glass. Beautiful copper/orange with a good fingers worth of head. Fresh HopSlam is something to behold.

S: Full of grapefruit and bitter hops. Very sweet and super hoppy, full of citrus and grassy notes. Smell is outstanding.

T: Wham. Flavor bomb. Huge grapefruit presence with a very nice sweet note. Honey, citrus, grapefruit, lemon, some sort of banana sweetness. Never had anything like this. Hops are so prevalent, but not dominating. Sweetness smooths everything out.

M: Not too thin, a bit thick actually possibly from the sweetness. Burns and numbs the tongue just enough, malts calm it all down.

D: I could drink this beer all day and all night. The rep from Bells was at the bar, we talked to him for a bit and he bought the 4 of us another round as well as giving us glasses that were meant for the bar.

4.77/5  rDev +7.4%

On cask at The Bulldog NE.

Served in a Bell's Tulip a glowing golden orange with a thick creamy head of beige foam that retains until the last sip.

Huge hoppy, fruity sweet goodness in a glass. Lots of hops, citrus and some pine on the nose. Honey sweetness.

Just like the nose. Big fruity hop flavor all the way through. Nice amount of bitterness that is kept in check by some honey and malt sweetness. Nectar of the gods!

Initially the feel was perfect. Halfway through the glass, the carbonation just disappeared. Maybe it was getting to the end of the cask, but it was still fine. Just not as good as when I started the glass.

Overall, this is my favorite beer of all time. I can't get enough of it and was glad to finally be able to try it on cask. I really wish this beer was made year-round. One can dream can't they?

4.77/5  rDev +7.4%

Please mind this review as it will be more of a narrative then notes. Eighteen months ago, I would not go near an IPA, I couldn't stand them. Then one day I had A Lil' Sumpin Sumpin and my world change, something clicked. I can drink any IPA, for example, I now love Stone Ruination.
But I digress. When I tried Hopslam last year, it wasn't for me. This year is a completely different story. I Love this beer. The balance of all the hopes and a little sweetness is great. The aroma brings a smile to my face. The flavor gives a tingle to my loins. Every sip I take, I am happy that I have evolved to love hops!
I also had this on draft and it was pretty damn good too!

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.