Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 2,497
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,269 | Hads: 11,753
4.82/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter. Pours a nice opaque orange with a small white head, but nice lacing. Smell takes it away, lots and lots of citrus and piney hops, the smell just permeates the room from the time it is poured. Tastes of citrus and piney hops, and nice malt, but the honey taste helps to tie it all together and make it smooth. Beer has a bit of a fizzy feel, but for a beer with 10% ABV, goes down really smooth and is quite sessionable (and dangerous because of the high ABV). Overall, an excellent beer.

4.82/5  rDev +8.3%

Bright orangey apple juice pour at BSP on the Bell's Launch Day. Typical cask-like flatness with just some glistening white bubble film on the flat head. Very nice brightness, though.
Very nice woody, piney aroma with a unusual subtle hint of grapefruit.
As with the bottled Hopslam, huge hop flavor up front. Pungent, tart grapefruit with pine fills the mouth. Lingering, dry bitter. As this baby sits, the honey comes out. Tasty as all hell.

4.82/5  rDev +8.3%

Had this on tap at Vintner Wine Market in Charlotte. Appearance was a hazy, glowing orange. Smells like nectarines. Taste is unbelieveable: Imagine sweet grapefruit juice mixed with honey. Big mouthfeel that lingers. Finish is just as amazing with absolutely no alcohol heat. It's hard to believe this is a high gravity beer (until I finished the pint). This is my favorite Double IPA. I would put this on tap at home all the time if I could...

4.82/5  rDev +8.3%

on tap at the Barley House tonite into a snifter.

(A)- Pours that semi hazy golden orange hue that I look forward to every year. Produced a nice white foamy head that stuck around for a bit. Lacing all over the place.

(S)- A simple, yet eventful aroma profile. Dry, yet citrusy hops with sweet honey like malts combine to make a great smelling DIPA.

(T)- Just like the smell. An awesome blend of citrusy resin-like hop profile with sweet honey and a dry finish.

(M)- A great carbonation level and balance. Smooth, and not overly bitter. Sweet, yet fruity in a citrus sense.

(D)- There are great DIPAs out there and this, each and every year when this comes out, it continues to prove itself to be one of the best. Not overly hoppy or overly sweet, but really a happy medium and balance of the two creating something that is just damn right tasty. Everyone has their favorites, preferences, and opinions, but for me, this is the pinnacle of the style.

4.82/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

-Bottle date 1/23/13 -

Hopslam's appearance mirrors the sheen of untouched copper... and after looking upon it in my snifter, it now resembles pure honey, with an almost imperceptible haziness, and a fizzyness that quickly wanes to a thin ring of white around the perimeter of the glass. The aroma is enough to make me salivate! Contained within each whiff are the essences of clementines, zesty lemons, juicy red grapefruit, pungent resinous oils, wild honey and sap. Scents of boardwalk shop sweets and flower garden bouquets enter my imagination. The hop's bitterness and floral aspects court my tastebuds equally, then a second later, a super-sweet tingle of honey and pollen appears on the tip of my tongue, as if it were a finale. The brew gracefully coats the inside of the mouth, and it's warming on the way down. Very smooth and velvety... Despite the high ABV and dry finish, it is the antithesis of harsh, for sure. A mimicry of other popular DIPAs, this is certainly not. To say that each sip leaves me wanting more is an understatement... rather, I find myself unable to believe this otherworldly elixir is really in my grasp! I'd imagine this is what the great god Pan drank in the unspoiled wilderness of Arcadia!

4.82/5  rDev +8.3%

A - Pours to a two-finger off-white lasting head. The body has a somewhat cloudy light orange color. Excellent lacing which leaves rings around the glass as you savor every sip.

S - Wow...that's hoppy! A magnificent aroma of grapefruity hops.

T - The taste is just as exciting as the aroma. When you sip this one you know you are tasting something special. An excellent ale that has just become one of my favorites.

M - A good hop bite on the sides of the tongue with a hint of honey sweetness on the tip of the tongue.

D - This one may not be considered drinkable by everybody but for hop lovers it's a very enjoyable ale. Definitely worth having again even though it's a bit pricey.

4.82/5  rDev +8.3%

Thanks to BA backfat for sending this hopslam out to me in the original haiku LIF. As promised, my review. Better late to post than never.

A: A beautiful amber color with a thick creamy white head. Clinging lacing leaves a nice trail that shows where you started.

S: smells of passion fruit, pineapple, and grapefruit. Wonderful nose exploding out of the tulip.

T: Taste is truly exceptional and exemplary for that a DIPA should be. Strong bitterness with great hop flavoring of citrus, pineapple, grapefruit. Big malt backbone really balances this bear out and the honey does its thing.

M: Fairly viscous, but goes down smooth. Perfect level of carbonation.

D: Great drinkability, I wish I had a 6-pack left for tonight. Another beer that hasn't made it's way to MA.

4.82/5  rDev +8.3%

An aggressive pour into a pint glass yielded a beautiful golden orange concoction of haze that swirled like summer clouds. A massive, frothy white head left great lacing throughout.

The smell is insane! Citrus is dominant, primarily grapefruit, with honey and a pine like spice.

Taste lives up to the smell. The grapefruit comes through, the hops give a huge bite, but the honey seems to keep the zing from becoming too much.

Thick, but smooth in the mouth. The carbonation keeps it crisp and lively.

This beer is very drinkable. Have to remind myself it is 10% ABV. Will try to pick up another sixer before they are gone.

4.82/5  rDev +8.3%

Looks like liquid gold when poured into my fav pint glass with a thick dense two finger head.
Smells like I'm in the middle of a hop field. Lots of grapefruity, citrusy, smells with some piney aromas as well. I am also getting a touch of sweetness as well. Maybe from the honey. Taste freakin awesome it's a shame the beer strore had a two six pack limit. This thing is loaded with hops but there not overpowering very citrusy with some grapefruit flavors as well. There is a slight bitter finish but doesn't leave a lingering aftertaste. I should be careful with this stuff it is way too drinkable. I can hardly detect any alcohol. My new love affair with DIPA's is growing with every sip.

4.82/5  rDev +8.3%

On cask last night at Rustico.

Cask Hopslam pours a suffuse orange with a mild haze and not much head, surprisingly so. That, though, is the only disappointing about this beer. On the nose, there's a brilliant hop character, prominent and complex with pine and tropical fruit - pineapple, orange, mango. Just brilliant. On the palate, this beer is just brilliant. All the hops come through spectacularly. Light in body with a bit of sweetness that balances the hops really well, this beer is a treat. The cask conditioning of this beer really takes it to another level with a soft and creamy mouthfeel. And the drinkability? My first pint lasted 10 minutes.

4.82/5  rDev +8.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into an Over sized wine glass.

Before I even get started I have to make a note that this is one of THE greatest smelling beers I have ever smelled in my entire life. The aroma hits you the very second you begin to pop the cap off the bottle.

A- Pours a Deep hazy orange with a white head. The head retreats in the first 30 seconds after pouring, down into a thin lacing on the top of the beer. There is a healthy looking white ring that forms around the edges of the glass. Small white bubbles can be seen rising in streams from the bottom to the surface along the edges of the glass.

S- A very strong and vibrant smelling beer. It has a very sweet and fruity aroma. Honey blends in with the smell of luscious grapefruit and mango notes. Their are also faint hints of juicy pears, mandarin oranges and lemons. Very citrusy and hoppy. Almost no bitterness to the aroma at all.

T- Incredibly well hopped and sweet without an intense bitter finish. Has some very fruity characters. Starts with sweet notes of mango and papaya from the hops and finishes with the semi-bittersweet taste of grapefruit and pineapple notes. The honey is somewhat noticeable but not entirely. There is absolutely almost no bitter earthiness to the hop flavor at all despite how aggressively hopped this ale is. The finish is very enjoyable sweet and tart for a beer of this kind.

M- Very smooth and medium in feel despite how well carbonated it is. Slightly crisp at the start from the carbonation but finishes very smooth.

O- Going in to this review it was very hard not to be biased due to all of the positive hype that this beer receives, however it is one of the very few that I have tried that has actually almost exceeded it in terms of how much I truly enjoyed this beer. This is the perfect beer in so many ways and I am happy to say it is the first beer I have ever reviewed that I have given a 5. This is an absolute must try for hop lovers and anyone who loves beer in general.

4.82/5  rDev +8.3%

HOPSLAM is NOT best young!!!!
Maybe the bouquet is, but that's it. I stashed a case of this year's batch in the back of my fridge upon release. Been enjoying a bottle here and there since. I just finished a wonderful can of fresh Surly Abrasive (I rated it a solid 4.45) and the 4 month HopSlam is blowing it out of the water! Smooth as silk, yet still slamingly hoppy. Honey does things. Hops are sensitive, but that doesn't mean every hop bomb needs to be crushed young. HopSlam, like Ithaca AlphAlphA (another wonderful honey bitter), is terrific with 3-6 months of cold aging. The honey smooths out the booze, and while the shocking bouquet is tamed on the 4 month, it don't matter. It's better.
More cohesive, yet still itself.
Drink Pliny young, every year save some of your HopSlam for Memorial Day!

4.82/5  rDev +8.3%

Well, this just came in-LOL!

Poured into a tulip glass-has a 2 inch head that settles down to a whisp the aromas hits you squarely in the chin, heavy hops of course and citrus.

Citrus, and spice, and very smooth for a 10% ABV, which is better than many other offerings with that same ABV.

Once again---is very, very smooth, and you could easily lose track of how many you drank-prob a good thing that I had just bought one to try-haha!

4.82/5  rDev +8.3%

Poured into a imperial pint glass.
A- Golden orange with a nice frothy thick head. Leaves nice lacing all the way down.

S- Seriously, it is one of the most fragrant beers I have ever smelled. The citus, hops, and floral aromas just jump into your soul. Grapefruit, oranges, pine, and hops dominate. Some alcohol is present but it's masked by the aforementioned aromas.

T- OH MY! Just str8 goodness! The citrus is sooo fresh. A grapefruit/orange taste mixed with a pine flavor and a hint of honey to throw in the mix. OH did I mention HOPS. There is a bit of a spice at the end but there is not a burn, just a hint of spice as if the beer gods are reminding me that this one is 10+ ABV.

M- I want to feel this beer in my mouth as often as I can. It leaves a nise crisp feeling. I know it wants me to drink it. I feel the hops and citrus dancing on my pallet coupled with the perfect amount of carbonation. SMOOTH!!!!

D- I'm almost glad (not really) I can only get this beer a few months out of the year. If it was available any longer I would be broke. I don't think twice b4 spending $57.00 on a case of this beer. It must be noted that this beer is extremely dangerous. It is so smooth that I could drink it alll night long. As a matter of fact, I have. I indeed was slammed. This beer just makes me happy! I can be having a bad day and all I have to do is think about the hopslam that is in my fridge...suddenly, life is good. This one is a MUST HAVE.

4.82/5  rDev +8.3%

One of the best beers I’ve ever had! Had this on tap at Red’s Alehouse in North Liberty, IA. Copper color pour with white head and tons of lacing. Floral, citrus, pine, hop smell. Bitter start but a smooth hoppy almost creamy finish. Easy drinking beer and highly recommended!

4.82/5  rDev +8.3%

This one pours with an orangey, almost light amber color with a decent foamy head. Right off the bat it smelled like a sweet grapefruit. Very appealing. Also detected a citrusy, flowery smell, but man those grapefruits!

Very smooth and drinkable, still more sweet grapefruit and flowery hops taste. I wouldn't put this beer at almost 10% ABV. It tastes strong but not from the alcohol. It's very well balanced.

I couldn't imagine drinking more than two of these and still be coherent.

Hopslam is outstanding on tap and very good in the bottle!!

4.82/5  rDev +8.3%

One of the most amazing beers I've ever tasted. The stong hop bite is offset by the honey just perfectly. Amazing look, amazing nose, and even more amazing taste.

The citrus smell of the hops is the first thing that hits you, and it hits you hard. If you're an IPA fan, you WILL NOT be disappointed. The taste and the mouthfeel are perfectly balanced for a big double IPA like this.

Save your pennies, $20 bucks for a six-pack. It hurts so good.

4.82/5  rDev +8.3%

Five of us passed this lovely beer around the table, and each person gave an immediate "WOW" upon smelling. I can't remember the last time I saw so many smiles around one beer.

Hopslam, the seasonal Imperial IPA from Bell's, is freakishly fragrant. Lots of pineapple, grapefruit, and pine hit you in the face before you can even fully get your nose into the glass. Pineapple Express baby! The beer pours a warm sunshine orange and is mostly clear. With a solid one-finger head and some impressive lacing, Hopslam's aroma shoots right out of the glass upon swirling.

In terms of flavor, it tastes just like it smells - heavenly! Considering its name and bottle label (a man is seen being crushed by a hop flower) it is surprisingly smoother on the palate than you would think. This is in no way to insinuate a lack of flavor, either. In fact, this has more flavor than just about any other beer I've had. It stood up to the spicy nachos I was eating, so I imagine it will stand up to just about anything.

Overall impression is that my mouth is enormously happy every time I take a sip of this amazing IPA. I can assure you that it lives up to all the hype it's receiving, and I don't think it'd be too hard to say this is definitely my new favorite beer. The only drawback is its limited release, so get it fast and share it with a friend.

4.82/5  rDev +8.3%

Drank HopSlam and DL '10 in the same day... Can it really get any better (the answer is no)...

A: 1 1/2 fingers of head with great lacing and a pale color with an amber tint, almost sunburn red (like Lindsay Lohan after a long day doing coke at the beach).

S: Smells like cloves, hops, and honey. Just awesome and malty. Complex, full, etc. etc.

T: Hops, cloves, and honey just like the smell. this is just good; it is not an opinion, but a fact. To me this is the Wayne Gretzky of DIPAs.

D/M: I just love this beer; it is my favorite DIPA. Hell, HopSlam is to DIPAs as Family Guy is to cartoons.

4.82/5  rDev +8.3%

this is one of god's gifts to mankind

A: transparent, golden, copper color... thick off white head.. great lacing.. sticky as all hell.

S: Grapefruit. Honey. Pine. Slight grass notes. Dash of alcohol. Delicate sweet-bitterness in perfect balance... i think i could sniff this beer til it was dry

T: The taste is everything you could ask for from the tease the nose gives you. Grapefruit hop bitterness is ever present, with a sweet honey maltness wrapping its way through every sip. Alcohol is barely perceptible.. The best thing about this beer is the layers of goodness. Each sip is just as profound as the previous.

M: Medium bodied, with a slightly dry bitter finish. Ideal carbonation makes this one a keeper.

D: I'd be a lier if i didn't admit that this is one of the most addictive beverages I have ever consumed. Can someone refer me to the nearest Hopslam Anonymous treatment facilities???

Worth every ounce of effort it took me to get a case of this... its going to take some will power to keep a bottle for about 9 months...

4.82/5  rDev +8.3%

No freakin' kidding!! I can see why it is so loved. This stuff is amazing. The tag is never a cheap one, but I can see a budding romance starting with this stuff.
Out of the bottle, poured into my pint glass... the color is just lovely. A somewhat hazy soft orange, and then a nice tall fluffy head. As you bring it to your nose, scents of citrus are apparent, and then warm summer day - the exact smell of a warm summer day. The hay, mown grass, warmth. The fluffy head retreats to some appreciable lacing. First sip.... Essence of grass, hay, lemons!!! LEMONS!!! and grapefruit. As you swish, and then swallow, more grass comes through, hitting you in the back of the throat with one helluva bitter swallow. That is what brings you back for another swig. I don't taste honey as much as perceive it.
The mouthfeel is medium-bodied, rich and slightly oily on the tongue - it is silky. No real carbonation to speak of.
This evokes summertime fun, with is grassy, citrusy explosion. The ABV is a shocker: You don't taste it. It goes down lovely and smooth.

4.82/5  rDev +8.3%

awesome, I've been wanting to try this one, so it's time for a review after a while of not writing any.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Delirium tulip... it's a deep amber color with a finger so of white head. Good lacing too... looks like what a DIPA should look like.

The aroma is all hops... a bouquet of hoppiness with just a subtle hint of sweet malt and honey. It's definitely an IPA though, no hiding anything.

The sweetness is a little more present at the front of each sip, before it gives way to a hop assault. It's still very balanced and absolutely delicious.

It's slightly thin, but nothing bad there... good carbonation, hoppy bitter aftertaste but what else would you expect?

Honestly... it's world class. There's a reason it's a 99 (or was at the time!) on BeerAdvocate... awesome DIPA.

4.82/5  rDev +8.3%

Aroma: Bold fruit and American hops. Bittersweet grapefruit and just a little pine. Very resinous. Some clean pale malt in the background. You can smell the hops with your nose about 12" above the glass.

Appearance: Pale gold. Moderately cloudy. Lots of tiny particles in suspension, very uniform. Clean white head pours a moderate height. Good retention and lots of lacing.

Taste: Bold citrus hops. Tons of grapefruit and little pine. Pale and caramel malt flavor nicely present in an attempt to balance things out. Aftertaste is a milder more English style hop flavor and pale malt.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body. Super slick, oily and creamy. Finishes dry from the bitter hops and high alcohol content. Little carbonation.

Overall: Always impressive. One of the best, if not the best IPA. Huge hop flavor, but not overpowering or harsh.

Notes: Package on 2/2/2012, drank on 3/10/2012.

4.82/5  rDev +8.3%

Got my hands on some. Please Bell's come to NJ.

12 ounce bottle, shaker pint glass.

A - Pours out a pale golden color. Tiny bubbles rush up to a fairly sizable white head. Head stays nicely (thank you hops).

S - Big grapefruit on the nose. Some sweet fruit smell as well. Underneath all the fruitiness is a subtle pine tone.

T - Wow. What a great tasting DIPA. The hops are of course taking charge here, but a nice fruity sweetness is there too. This is a big flavored DIPA with citrus/tropical fruit flavors all over the place. Subtle alcohol flavor on the finish, but it's mostly well hidden. A great, fruity DIPA that ends with a rush of dry bitterness.

M - Nice, coating sticky mouthfell to a medium bodied beer.

D - Loving it. The many mixed fruit flavors mix seamlessly with the hops. A very well put together DIPA that brings all the vrashness one expects from the style, but does have a unique feature that almost resembles balance which we all know is not a benchmark characteristic for the style. Just makes you want more.

4.82/5  rDev +8.3%

Just picked up a sixer of this year's release. Poured into a pint glass, revealing a nice, mellow head and a beautiful light amber color.

The smell of this beer is absolutely out of this world - strong grapefruit and apricot citrusy is up front, with a subtle hint of hoppy piney-ness. Spectacular!

Taste is what I've been waiting for. This beer is so well balanced contrary to the smell. One might expect it to have a super bitter taste given the way it smells (plus the name), but this beer is all about major amounts of hops but enough malt and hops to make things very well balanced. I can't really think up the right words to describe it, but this is one of the best beers I've ever had. The top of Bells' lineup in my opinion.

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.