Join our email list →

Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 2,578
Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Michigan, United States | website

American Double / Imperial IPA | 10.00% ABV

Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,329 | Hads: 12,023
4.8/5  rDev +8.1%

Cheers to millerbuffoon for sending me this one in a trade. This is the first beer I've opened from my box, and I have a good feeling about the others.

A- Clear orange-gold with a billowy off-white head that sticks nicely down the glass.

N- Floral-accented honey with a tinge of alcohol. Subtle undertones of toasty malt blend in with the honey.

T- Juicy honey-soaked malt with a clean hop bitterness. Citrus and pine dance on top of the big toasty malt. The finish is like toasted grain dipped in honey and then covered in hop oils. Piney hop resins and toasted grain linger in the aftertaste.

M- Medium creamy, sticky mouthfeel with smooth carbonation and a bittersweet finish.

D- Overall, an outstanding brew. 10% alcohol, I finished 12oz in about five minutes, and I'm craving another. I only have one more, so I want to save it for another night. Definitely going to trade for this one again. I think this beer is a few months old, and it is tasting fantastic. I can't even imagine what it would be like fresh.

4.8/5  rDev +8.1%

This is my fifth go at this beer. Not in a row. But now I feel like I can review it.

Pours a brilliant orange with a big, healthy bone white head. Very pretty.

Aroma is a knockout. Grapefruit dominates, alcohol, raisin, pine resin and a warm, floral scent that I can't quite put my finger on. Like a wafting perfume from a passing woman.

Taste is a juicy, puckering alcoholic grapefruit. Juicy, juicy and juicy. Almost all hop flavors. Slam, indeed. A little sweet malt is in there, but it's hard to tell where the hop juice ends and the sweet malt begins. What a marvel.

Oily smooth mouthfeel, leaning toward full-bodied.

For me, it's too drinkable. One that can get me in trouble in a hurry. I tend to gulp this beer, despite my best efforts to relax. I've taken to following this one with several glasses of water.

Now, one other thing. The price. It is expensive, yes. It is good, yes. But, I have never tasted anythiing quite like it. So, if you want the experience, fork over the money.

12oz bottle poured into tulip
$16/six-pack

A: Golden hue with a 1/2 finger head. Head quickly dissipated into a fine rim.
S: A lot of hops (clearly). Grapefruit. Very well rounded.
T: SOOOO good. Clean and crisp. Hops and citrus are very well balanced. still trying to find where they hid that 10%abv
D: Absolutely love this beer. Everyone is a critic and I enjoy this more than Pliney. Very upset I only bought a six pack. Till next year.

4.8/5  rDev +8.1%

This beer truly lives up to its hype. The hop profile is in your face and assaults your taste buds. It is a IIPA that keeps people coming back year after year. I know that I will be buying this beer on a yearly basis, so everyone needs to do themselves a favor and just buy this beer.

4.8/5  rDev +8.1%

I love HopSlam. I love it fresh, and I love it now, nearly five months later. Bottled Jan. 5, 2009.

It's a golden honey-amber color, slightly cloudy, with a finger of eggshell-colored head that drops to a thin but resilient layer of foam atop the brew. Sticky lace throughout.

Nose is all citrusy and piney hops, with some malt and honey sweetness to back it up.

It's definitely mellower than it was fresh, and I'm giving it a five because I know how killer it is fresh. Even, now, it's a 4.5 easy. The pine and citrus notes of the hops cut through, the honey makes an appearance, and then it finishes nicely bitter. Alcohol is not very forward at all.

A solidly medium body -- not too heavy and decent carbonation makes it refreshing in warmer weather.

I bought a case this year, if that tells you anything about drinkability. The only reason there is any left is that I was saving some for when my friend vsited last week ... and then I bought another sixer.

4.8/5  rDev +8.1%

12 oz'er poured into a pint glass... Pours a hazy gold, ambery color with a pretty thick and creamy white head. The head lasts all the way down for the most part, and leaves a bit of lacing. Smells of powerful hops, and it's really a great character, citrusy, bitter, and mellow, with some fruit. Tastes... well like a hopslam, great blend of hops in this beer, and the honey adds a flavorful undertone. Relatively carbonated, very fresh and "energetic" mouthfeel. This beer is damn tasty and drinkable, I'd have no objection to crack open one after another. But 9.3% ABV would get involved...

4.8/5  rDev +8.1%

12 oz bottle. Been getting 6pks for around $13-14. Pricey, but definitely worth it.

A: Pours a beautiful hazy orange with hints of amber, complete with Bell's patented suspended yeast bits. I dunno, just seems that they are the only brewer that has this look.

S: The freshest juiciest grapefruit I have ever smelled in a beer. Unlike anything else, SO fresh!

T: Once again slapped with sweet grapefruits. A touch of pine, but not as much as expected. A totally different beast than the west coast piney DIPAs. The sweetness from the malt base negate the typical bitterness you'd get from a grapefruit. A biting hop finish. Lingering bitter hops, but not overbearing. Just fantastic.

M: Creamy and smooth, nice carbonation. Not sticky at all. Quite crisp for the style.

D: Get excited every time I see more of it in the store. I had 5 of these last night, which is impressive for the style. Sometimes they get so sweet and sticky that I can't have more than 1 or 2. This one isn't like that. The booze catches up to you though. Ah well.

Even my girlfriend, who is usually a straight macro girl, liked this. This is the best DIPA by far, and one of the best beers I have ever tasted. Amazing in every respect.

4.8/5  rDev +8.1%

On tap at TJ's. Figured I should stop by while the hop slam is still around. So good on draft. Thick soapy head with huge lacing left on glass. Very sweet smell to it, honey, hops, hops and more hops. Nice malt to it so its not a hop bomb by any means. Goes down insanely smooth for being 10% abv. I had 2 9oz pours @ $5.50 each but I could of easily had a couple more if I had a designated driver. I got buzzed farily quickly b/c I had no lunch. Fantastic brew and highly recommended. Cheers.

On a side note: Hop slam is great but the prices are getting crazy. A take out sixer was $26, other local places are around $20. Cases range from $60-74 bucks depending where you go. Hopslam is a great beer and I will buy a case this year, but if it goes much higher next year count me out. I would rather get 2 cases of something else.

Poured from 12 oz -bottle - Batch # 10101

Poured a crisp clear golden with orange hues , two finger head that held it's retention for most of the drink ,great lacing, decent carbonation - this is a good looking DIPA

Smell - Grapefruit upfront with hops and citrus.

Taste - Sweet mother of Gawd this is a good DIPA - The hops jump right out of the glass and tackle your taste buds ,followed by the semi sweet bitter of the hops, Grapefruit in the balance w/ mild hints of honey.

Drinkabilty - this is a very drinkable beer and considering it is 10% abv makes it more so - This is a DIPA that is wonderfully blended and balanced, the flavors work together and nothing seems out of place - Believe the hype it's that good .

4.8/5  rDev +8.1%

Whoa! Silly me for only purchasing one six pack on the first visit. I'm a skeptic about hyped beers, but this one delivers.

Pours a very bright orangey-amber color with medium sized white cap that receds nicely to a good rim layer, with plenty of residual lace.

Nose is very bright with fresh fruit. Literally those nose on this compared to other DIPA's is like comparing fresh squeezed OJ to some generic brand made from concentrate. Fresh, citrusy, floral, a delight... While I get mostly orange and grapefruit there's also some miscellaneous tropical fruit that I can't nail down - maybe mango, pineapple, apricot perhaps.

On the palate I'm amazed at the honeyed & gently sweet flavors that start things off for the big hop flavors that follow. Although they're full-flavored, they're not overwhelming like a Double Bastard, for example. Just right for this style, IMO. Alcohol is masked relatively well and this is a delight to drink. Rating relative to style, this is probably the most drinkable DIPA I've had.

4.8/5  rDev +8.1%

One of the best beers I've tried even being on the expensive side, $14.99 for a 6 pack. Very, very hoppy with a strong grapefruit aftertaste that lingers for a little while. Nice carbonation and the alcohol does not jump out at you but at 9.30% you'll probably notice it more the first time you stand up. While there are a few other DIPA's out there for less $$, this is a hard-to-find item where some stores are only getting in a couple of cases for the whole season.

Served in CCB snifter
1/26/12 package date

A: golden/orange color with fluffy white/off white head. tons of bubbles in the middle and streaming off of the bottom. head disappears quickly but a ring of lacing and some bubbles stay around

S: tropical, citrus, some caramel and sweet bready malts. some floral and lighter fruit notes. some sweet honey is noticeable. complex and delicious.

T: sweet malts and honey upfront, with a huge wave of tropical and citrus hops to wash it away. surprisingly drinkable for 10%

M: medium mouthfeel, bordering on heavier, but remains so drinkable.

O: so balanced yet so unbalanced and deliciously hoppy. One of the best beers ever.

P.S. If you get the chance, try this with an aged cheddar. It is supreme

4.8/5  rDev +8.1%

Hazy, cloudy orangey sunset body, slowly drifting carbonation streams, topped by three fingers of various assorted sized bubbles. Excellent lacing.

Incredibly inviting enticing aroma of pineapple, grapefruit, pine trees, and oranges. A beer you can sniff without picking it up.

A good solid chewy malt blockhouse, something forgotten in some DIPAs, gets the taste buds started. Quickly though, its juicy hops exploding all around. Bitter, bracing, cleansing, fruity, tingly - just about everything you could ask for, all melded into a solidly constructed though naturally unbalanced beer.

Mouthfeel is just fine - big but not too thick, it rolls through nicely.

Drinkability is good as it gets. Beer's gone way too fast.

An exception DIPA - malt, tons of hops, and the alcohol never intrudes...until maybe later. Highly recommended. No regrets buying this by the case.

4.8/5  rDev +8.1%

Just picked up a six pack the day it hit the shelves so this is as fresh as we in the Chicago area can get it!

Good head retention and light color are a disguise. The aroma is a powerful mix of floral hops and the first taste is just as potent. Not too bitter which is a good surprise from a IIPA, but the honey kicks up the ABV's a notch.

Wish they offered this all-year long!

look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

On tap at Logan's Alley in GR. Statewide barrel release 2014. Too bad America can't be here too.

Everything about this beer is an IPA lovers dream. Alcohol taste a bit over the top. Looks beautiful and feels good rolling over the palate and down the gullet. A perfect balance between aroma and taste, which is much more than I can say about most others. Not too syrupy, not too "vacant".

4.8/5  rDev +8.1%

Bottle poured into tulip.

Pours smooth golden, medium, but somewhat ample foam. Strong citrus nose, bursting with hops, apples, caramel and wonderful generally understated sweetness. Absolutely wonderful body, fairly big caramel at the front and great hop finish. This beer is surprisingly light for the huge magnitude. This is utterly amazing. I wish I could drink it everyday.

4.8/5  rDev +8.1%

Loved this beer! Poured into a pint glass and immediately noticed the perfect head, 3 fingers thick with a nice puffy lacing and the color was a brilliant golden orange. Holy cow the hops on this beer! Almost overwhelmingly aromatic. My wife could smell it all the way in the next room! Bursting with a bright citrus pop, the smell is incredibly bright and cheery, like wind blowing over an orange tree. The carbonation is perfectly balanced, mixing well with the bright, white grapefruit taste that seems to almost float in your mouth. The finish has a slight bitterness to it not unlike that of citrus zest. Though this beer is INCREDIBLY drinkable, watch out because the 10% ABV will knock you on your ass if you're not careful. This would be a perfect beer to enjoy on your deck in the summertime, and it may very well be my favorite offering from Bell's at this point. Can't wait for another bottle!

4.8/5  rDev +8.1%

A - Pours a hazy golden amber, with generous fluffy head. Thin lacing down the glass.

S - Terrific hoppy aroma. Lots of citrus; smells of oranges, grapefruit, lemon. Also some hint of pepper and spices.

T - Lots of hop flavor, but with a very well balanced sweetness. Alsmost liek a sweet grapefruit. Dispite the hoppy assault on the senses, there is very little lingering bitterness that often overwhelms with other DIPAs. There's some alcohol burn toward the end, but overall it masks its strength well.

M - Medium body, surprisingly smooth given its strength. Perfectly carbonated

D - Terrific brew that I could drink all night every night, if I had too :)

Hopslam
Side by side comparison with Hopslam. 12 ounce bottle poured into a tulip. Bottled on January 9th, 2012. My girlfriend has just gotten into DIPAs, so she is enjoying this too! It should be a good night!

A: Bright orange with an amber hue. 1 finger head that goes away slowly.

S: subtle smells of tropical fruit. Pineapple. Hint of honey in the background.

T: Bitter and sweetness mold well on top of the tropical fruit. The tropical fruit stays long on the tongue. The honey comes through nicely.

D: Some alcohol there which reminders you to sip this beer. There is a full body from the sugar and honey.

O: I love this beer. I look forward to getting a 6 pack every January. The hype lives up to the name of the beer and it is a great DIPA. My girlfriend stole the beer from me and I was forced to up one of my own.

4.8/5  rDev +8.1%

Batch 7690 bottled on 10/25/06. Poured into a tulip. This beer is very cloudy and golden in color. The head is about 1 finger and dissipates quickly leaving some heavy lacing and stickiness all over the sides of the glass. Smell is floral at first - there is also some pine and a little bit of an almost pineapple like sweet smell, very interesting. This is an excellent tasting beer, even better than it's brother Two-Hearted, IMO. There's some grapefruit flavor up front which gives way to pineapple sweetness and it all ends with a bitter, dry hop kick. This is by no means the hoppiest beer ever, but it is incredibly well balanced for a double IPA. Mouthfeel is syrupy and delicious - the carbonation amount is just right. An incredible beer from my home state - this is an easy beer to drink, which might be dangerous since this baby clocks in at around 10%. Highest recommendation.

4.8/5  rDev +8.1%

Pours a nice golden color that is a bit hazy. Has a Small head that dissipates quickly leaving just a little bit of lacing on the glass. The smell is hops. Tons of hops and a bit of citrus. Smells great. The taste is very hoppy, and I love it. The hops are very present, there is a little bit of citrus, and then the alcohol comes in a little bit at the finish. I was surprised the alcohol was so masked since its 10%. The mouthfeel was good. This beer had nice carbonation, a medium body, and left a nice lingering bitterness. I could drink these quite often. I really love this beer. Bells did a great job on this one. I hope I find some more very soon. Cheers.

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Right there where an imperial IPA should be. Nice orange color with a super fluffy being near egg shell white.

S: Hoppy pine, pineapple, melon, some floral and cinnamon and graham cracker notes show as it warms up. Just want to sit around smelling it all day/night.

T: Almost everything but the cinnamon and graham cracker transfers over. Honey along with other grapefruit notes really shine as well. Just a lot of balance with the flavors.

M: Super solid carbonation. Medium pushing a bit towards full bodied. Tad oily, but dries out super quick leaving you wanting more.

O: Wish this wasn't just winter and also available for me to get all the time and not have to trade for. Would be such a good go-to beer.

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 1/23/13 bottle into a ::gasp:: shaker pint.

A: golden, straw. Half inch head. Fluffy, resinous lacing on the entire glass. Brilliantly light.

S: A load of hops. Tropical; pineapple dominated with sweet orange peel and grapefruit. Faint smell of alcohol.

T: the smell is outstanding, but this is where the beer really exceeds my already over-hyped expectations. Loads of hops. Ldrinking sweet grapefruit juice. No sharpness or raw hop bitterness in the finish. Incredibly balanced: like the brewers extracted the floral aspects of pounds of hops (for this single beer) and left behind any of the hop acidity.

M: Velvety and resinous. Often with DIPAs, it feels syrupy, or alternatively, flat. This beer is light on the tongue and quenching. Unreal how smooth it goes down for %10 ABV.

O: Can't say a bad thing about it. Felt like a sucker buying a $16 sixer and wanted to find fault with the almighty HypeSlam, but this is as close to beer perfection as I have had the pleasure of tasting.

4.81/5  rDev +8.3%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Bell's pint glass.

A - Aggressive pour produces a frothy, off-white hear of about an inch that settles rather quickly.

S - Grassy and citrusy hops. Tons of orange. Pineapple, spruce, a little grapefruit. Very floral too.

T - Grassy and pine-flavored hops dominate. I get plenty of tropical fruit and some dank cannibus. The honey makes itself known and plays well with some alcohol which I normally dislike in this style but it compliments this beer nicely. This beer is unique for a DIPA and extremely well-crafted.

M - Creamy. Delicious. Perfect.

D - Very high. I don't know if the alcohol (10%) is well-hidden but the balance and sheer excellence of this beer make it plenty drinkable.

I don't mind that this beer only comes around once a year. It does not take age well and despite claims to the contrary the price is not outlandish at all for a beer with this much hop character. Plus, it comes in 12 oz. bottles rather than overpriced bombers.

Overall, up there with Short's Anniversary and Pliny in the DIPA style for me. I highly recommend anyone who can get their hands on this beer drink the hell out of it while it is fresh as this is just a masterpiece of a DIPA.

4.81/5  rDev +8.3%

A-A beautiful orangish golden color with a nice two finger head. Head retention is evident as well. Simply goregous

S- Mmmm, hops, hops, more hops, and honey. Sweet, bitter, alive. Grapefruit/citrus, honey, and floral notes burst from it.

T/M Just as it smells, it explodes with pure hop heaven and honey on the tongue. A bit sweet, perhaps, but balanced beyond perfection. The mouthfeel is very nice, clean and inviting. Maybe..if I am being really picky here, a bit sticky, but my tongue was not complaining.

Overall: This beer lives up to the hype, looks the hype in the eye, and knocks the hype out of the park. A must have.

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.