Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 2,048
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros

2.75/5  rDev -38.8%

I gave this beer a 4 before I knew it was mediocre at best.

Fixed.

2.78/5  rDev -38.1%

Tried on 3 separate occasions and finally decided to review.

A: Clouded copper color, with thousands of floaties. Small head, no retention, but decent lacing.

S: Pine and citrus hop smell.

T: Too medicinal and boozy. Sweet and bitter at the same time. It's not the hops, because I love hops, it's that astringent taste that's nasty.

M: Stinging carbonation bubbles from a constant flow in the glass.

D: Not very good. Reminds me of hop-flavored Nyquil.

Major disappointment to me.

2.81/5  rDev -37.4%

Wow... Wow... Did Raul just get himself a diet Stone? Mild aroma, thin-ish textures on the tongue, and a taste about as inspiring as a Kardashian having a baby. Raul was stoked on getting hooked up on this through a trade, but for now he will be looking forward to Zombie Dust.

Peace!

*Raul would like to revisit this one. He was just settling into the craft game, and although Raul does remember not enjoying this in the least, he'd like to try it again as his palate had no turned into platinum

2.9/5  rDev -35.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle, packaged on 1/11.

A: Very nice orange color. Clear with little sediment. Catches the light nicely.

S: This is where the beer began to disappoint. I pick up an almost vegetable-like odor, rather than the pine, citrus, or even hops I was expecting. There's also an almost formaldehyde-like scent lurking unpleasantly in the background.

T: I like the taste. If this was some sort of an American IPA, or just a regular $7.99 6 pack, I'd happily rate this higher. A nice balance of hops and fruit up front. Unfortunately, as I experience with Two-Hearted, there is the hint of a REALLY bad taste at the end. Like a really poorly balanced alcohol taste, reminding me a bit of nail polish.

M: Feels a little bit like cold milk, nothing extraordinary.

O: A relatively high quality beer. For all the hype, and a $17 price tag for 6, I was extremely disappointed. As my first review, also a little disappointed to have to disagree so drastically with a community that has led me to some outstanding beers I never would have tried otherwise. Bell's Brewery really just hasn't been in my wheelhouse. As referenced above, I always get either some off-flavors or smells with each of the 5-6 beers I've tried.

2.91/5  rDev -35.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Poured into a Delirium snifter on 1/21/13

11645 Pkgd 1/03/13

Slightly hazy and browned honey color with a one finger head that starts a quick decline. Soapy retention and some drippy, sandy lace; neither holds up over by the end of the glass.

Hop oils and alcohol are strong on the nose; apricot, peach, pollen, hints of grapefruit and a vague notion of lemongrass. The malts are fairly neutral but in abundance, so there's a lot of sweet cracker and biscuit coming through.

The taste leads off with a moderate pine bitterness which is peppered with citric pith and rind. The hop oils ooze together; picking out distinct flavors is laborious and largely pointless. Similarly, the malts become part of the whole lending a sweetness to the concoction. Tropical booze lasts long on the finish.

Oily. The feel is so oily. It clings across the palate every which way. The body is on the high end of medium but the hop oils weight it down. The carbonation is capable; lively in conjunction with the hops but not sharp.

The first few times I had this I loved it, but year after year I try Hopslam and I keep coming to the same conclusion that it is simply ok. I like to have a pint and a bottle or two each year just for kicks, but plopping down close to $20 for a six pack just ain't gonna happen.

2.93/5  rDev -34.7%

Poured into a small chalice.

Pale golden with a thin layer of foam.

Aroma is strong pine, like I just crushed a handful of pine needles in my hand.

The flavor is piney, and very bitter. I'm surprised as this has the least IBUs of any DIPA I've had, paired to some of the most alcohol. And yet, to me, it tasted overwhelmingly bitter. Maybe it was served too cold, and didn't warm up enough, but I didn't get any honey sweetness from it.

The mouthfeel is very thick, and chewy. Combined with the aroma and flavor, it made me feel like I was chewing on pine needles.

I was really excited to try this beer, as it sounded like a DIPA that I'd love. Sadly, it tasted too bitter and piney, and overall disappointing..

2.93/5  rDev -34.7%

Had this and Founders Double Trouble the same night. No real comparison. Hopslam delivers the hops for sure, but the balance was not right. Its not smooth whatsoever; the hops seemed to generate a heat sensation and other off flavors that weren't quite right.

Overall, its a fair DIPA, but definitely not worthy of the hype.

2.93/5  rDev -34.7%

A: Pours like dark honey with some darker amber tones. Nice two finger head that seems to want to stay for a bit.

S: Hops Hops Hops! And a hint of honey.

T: Don't taste any of the honey, its overtaken by hops, Alcohol is high in this one (10%) but the hops hide it well. Don't like the hops so much and a tart unpleasant aftertaste. A pine needle note im getting.

M: Dry finish carbonation is right on.

D: Everyone is raving about this beer its not a bad brew just not my taste.

2.93/5  rDev -34.7%

I look forward this ale every year and while the appearance and pour hinted of its usual, solid taste and finish, I was very disappointed with the batch this year.

The initial taste was underwhelming and it finished like wet cardboard - having to wait a year something I will no longer do especially while other craft brewers are brewing theirs regularly and not have their sit through a pretentious wait...I'd rather spend the extra money and have some Myrcenary from Odell's shipped to me.

Sorry Bell's, my group of friends and I were sadly disappointed. Good luck.

2.95/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear honey gold with little head. Pretty typical for a Triple IPA. Very Grassy, piney hops. Sweet honey kissed biscuit with an alcohol tinge at the end. Very dank. Hop resin sums up this beer in two words. That's nearly all you need to know. Sweet, chewy white bread malt turns bitter grassy, then very alcoholic bitter aftertaste. Lingers very plasticky, band-aidy in the mouth. On the syrupy side, very dry finish.

I really liked the aroma, but that phenolic plastic aftertaste really buried this one for me. I got this in a trade, so I'm really hoping this one was sitting in the sun or something because this has a lot of potential. FYI, I wouldn't normally give something I suspect to be "damaged goods" a review, but I really don't have any other means by which to review this beer. This is more for my notes so i can go back and try it fresh in Chicago one day to compare. Gotta say though, even with the plastic phenol taken away, it's pretty syrupy. After the DIPA fest, I can say I've had several beers that lack this characteristic that still fit the TIPA style. So I guess I'm saying that my below average review is still warranted in my eyes.

2.98/5  rDev -33.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a german pilsner glass. This beer was fresh from the distributor

A - rust color with a 2cm head.

S - sweet, with the usual floral, citrus notes of hops (I'm new to hops, so can't really go into detail about them.)

T - sweet beginning and then a ton of hops are shot at me. whoa! That's a lot of hops. Too much for me, I think. Again, floral and citrusy.

M - it's a fresh Bells beer.

D - too many hops for me. I may have jumped to the DIPAs a little too quickly.

2.98/5  rDev -33.6%

This is one of the most inconsistent beers I have ever rated. I liked almost everything about 2009 and 2010, except the honey aroma.

Everything changed in 2011, though. Suddenly, I was drinking a near-perfect DIPA. Abundant pine and citrus on the nose, and balance on the tongue.

Too bad I am reviewing 2012, then. I found very little to like about this beer. It looked great in the glass.

But that's where the fun ended. I took a whiff, and was happy to note the absence of honey. But where was the rest? This beer is supposed to smell like *something*, for crying out loud. I was halfway through this beer with my nose buried in the glass before I could sense anything at all.

And where was the balance? There's no sweetnes to balance the bitterness. This might have been OK in an aromatic beer, but not in this one.

Blech.

I poured this brew into my tumbler at 50 degrees. The beer was musty smelling and had a really thin head. The beer was a little bit cloudy and smelled really hoppy. It tasted really hoppy also as it is suppose to. I thought it was kinda grassy tasting. I did not like the beer but hop heads will go for it for sure. A great crisp summertime hop beer if you like that kinda thing. Not buy again

I'm basing this rating off when it was fresh. Unfortunately, I feel like this beer has declined greatly year after year. 5 years ago, off the chart, now, I'm not sure I'll even buy it next year. Too bad, it used to be a great beer!

I'd assume it was a change in my taste buds that makes it less than it used to be, but everyone I know that has drank it for years feels the same way I do, so I don't think it's me.

It's just not woth $20 a six pack anymore.

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.