Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 2,062
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
4.58/5  rDev +2%

Bottle labeled 12/29/11 poured into a pint glass on 2/10/12. Thanks to my buddy Treebs for sending me a few bottles.

Appearance: Deep golden orange color that is a bit hazy. Great looking head that recedes after a few minutes, leaving dense lacing.

Smell: This is going to be a hopbomb, no doubt about it. Piney hops dominate with some citrus scents present as well. Very bold.

Taste: Pine hop flavors are the dominant flavor on the front end, yet it's not overwhelming. They honey sweetness soon comes to balance the big hops. Finishes leaving you with more hops, but without the jumping bitterness off of the tongue.

Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel and easier to drink than you might think for such a hoppy and high ABV drink. The alcohol is masked well.

Overall: Super impressed, even though Bell's is always right on the ball. Wish I could get this in Washington more frequently.

Overall:

4.1/5  rDev -8.7%

12 oz. bottle poured into an Alchemist pint glass. Bottled on 1/26/2012. Just picked it up today.

Appearance - Orange amber body. Quite clear. Not much of a head, but it sticks nicely to the glass and leaves some wisps on the surface.

Smell - Wow, it's got a great hop aroma. Up there with the best of em. Citrusy from a distance (literally, from a few feet away), but it's got a dose of pine as I smell it more. Great aroma. Some sweetness comes through, but it's still all about the hops.

Taste - The hop flavor delivers in the front. It's a huge wave of hops that recedes as dramatically as it hits. The citrus gives way to pine, much in the way of the aroma, which gives way to a hefty malt and honey sweetness. Not cloying and not even all that sweet, but it's amazing how much the hops disappear. It still tastes pretty damn good, but not like the best IPAs out there. The finish is boozy and slightly bitter.

Mouthfeel - After the hops drop off, the booze is pretty evident. There's an astringency presumably from the fermented honey. It's not really bitter, either, but still the bitterness is one of the only flavors that lingers.

Overall - I used to think this beer was the bee's knees of IPAs, but having had far more interesting hop profile IPAs, this one hasn't quite risen to its lofty heights as of late. Definitely not one of those "It was better last year" people, but I feel my appreciation for it has changed.

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

2012 Batch/and 2013
Poured in a pint glass, 1" head slow to dissipate. A slightly hazy dark gold with good carbination.
You can smell the sweetness from at least a foot away! Up close its a citrus festival with a touch of pine note.
T- starts with a big hop taste not a citrusy as it smells but close. Has a rich sweetness to it, the malt is hidden, you think it might lead to it as it finishes but stays hoppy until the end.
M-Rich full and sweet excellent carbination.
O-I wanted to give this beer a perfect rating,I have been lookiing forward to it so much I couldn't give it all 5's because I was so siked about it. This is by far the best beer I have had in a long time! Last years batch didn't have what this year does. they nailed it this time! This beer deserves the world class rating it has!
2014 update; Smoother, richer and MONSTER lacing in the glass!!! Upgraded to perfect scores! Sorry couldn't help it the is one friggen awesome beer!

3.48/5  rDev -22.5%

2012 vintage. Chilled and poured into my Bell's tulip.

A: Deep gold. 2 finger white head. A decent amount of lacing.

S: Hops, honey and malt.

T: You get an immedate smack of hops with a good amount of maltines underneath. You can taste a hint of honey in the background.

M: Medium bodied and well carbonated.

O: I like this beer, but not as much as it is hyped. There are a lot of better DIPAs out there. I would go so far as to say Bell's makes a better DIPA: The Oracle.

4.7/5  rDev +4.7%

A: Poured with moderate head, beautiful lacing, color is light orange.

S: Nose is incredibly fresh with citrus, pine, grassy and light floral notes.

T: Taste is dry with grapefruit and pineapple, right upfront, some pine and floral notes and nice honey feel and sweetness ont he back.

M: Well balanced, booze is masked with flavor

O: Freakin as good or better than I recall it two years ago!

4.28/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Review from 2012-03-20
Bottle from Hyvee in Council Bluffs, IA
Bottled on 2012-01-25
Poured into an willi glass

Able to pour a tall, >2cm head of off-white foam, small and medium size bubbles that together create a very dense, fluffy-looking head. Decreases slowly, over minutes, and leaves some good amounts of lacing and dots on the sides of the glass. Body is orange-brown in color out of light, orange with yellow highlights when in. Somewhat hazed in appearance due to it not being filtered. Carbonation is visible, looks about moderate.

Aroma of mango, orange, tangerine, grapefruit, and peach. Heavy citrus in general, with peach becoming more noticeable as the beer warms. Ethanol becomes increasingly noticeable as the beer warms as well.

Hops are the major flavor component, obviously, but first, there's an opening bit of honey-malty sweetness. Hop flavors include grapefruit, orange, tangerine, and some pine resin, all atop a solid bitterness. Long, lingering fruity bitterness, particularly of grapefruit. The ethanol is a bit more noticeable now, particularly as it warms, though never overpowering.

Medium to medium-heavy bodied, not as heavy as Green Flash's IIPA, which is good, in my opinion. Carbonation is there, but not antagonistic to the mouth, generally creating a fairly smooth, flowing mouthfeel. Slight oiliness from hops (I assume?) actually helps this impression. Finish is semi-dry.

Review from 2012-02-10
Bottle from Hyvee in Council Bluffs, IA
Bottled on 2012-01-25
Poured into a tulip glass

Pours a head of about 2cm of off-white foam, fairly small bubbles creating a very dense appearance. Head fades in a few minutes to a thin cap atop the beer, with some fairly good sheets of lacing along the sides of the glass. Body is a burnt orange to copper color, with orange highlights when held to the light. Carbonation is visible, though seems a bit sluggish.

Aroma is a complex mix of hops: citrus (tangerine, weak orange), mango, and some piney hops. Some solvent-like scent, probably ethanol related. No bitterness detected in the nose, so there is some sweetness here, but I can't put a name to any distinct scent, as if from toasted malt or honey or whatever. Assume the distinctness is all lost in the mix of hops.

Taste begins with some slightly bready, sweeter malt flavor on the tip of the tongue. Quickly transitions to intense hop flavors of grapefruit, mango, pineapple, and faint tangerine. Pine hop usage was more noticeable in the scent than taste, but it's somewhat present here. Bitterness is fairly gentle, but persistent through latter half of tasting. Alcohol becomes fairly noticeable on the back third of the tongue, particularly as beer warms; kind of disappointing in this regard given the malt bill that had to go into this. Aftertaste is bitter, pleasantly so. After about halfway through the bottle, I think to myself that this isn't something I could drink every night: nothing is cloying, but the intensity of flavor seems to destroy my desire for anything else as far as food, taste, goes.

Overall, I thought this was a pretty solid beer, though the noticeable alcohol was something of a turn-off for me.

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

Received two six packs of HopSlam from grinnellj. Thanks again for the trade!

Bottle date - 1/26/2012

A: Poured into a Southampton Snifter. The beer reveals a golden orange color; and builds a one-finger white head that fades quickly leaving beautiful lacing around the glass.

S: Wow. Huge pine notes, and a blast of freshly sliced grapefruits. The smell on this beer is bold, and suits its name well.

T: Hops. Juicy hops. Huge pine, and resin notes up front, which make way to a pleasant sweetness; out the back comes the bitterness.

M: Very light mouthfeel. A moderate amount of carbonation. Very easy to drink; despite that fact that this beer stands at 10% ABV, the alcohol is hidden well.

Overall, I am very pleased with this beer; a fantastic IIPA. For the most part, us New Yorkers are deprived of many of the great IIPA's (especially us who are out on Long Island). I'm glad that I was able to trade for some of this, and I would most certainly do it again. I think it lives up to its hype, despite the complaints of its high price. Bell's delivers.

Cheers.

4.8/5  rDev +6.9%

Please mind this review as it will be more of a narrative then notes. Eighteen months ago, I would not go near an IPA, I couldn't stand them. Then one day I had A Lil' Sumpin Sumpin and my world change, something clicked. I can drink any IPA, for example, I now love Stone Ruination.
But I digress. When I tried Hopslam last year, it wasn't for me. This year is a completely different story. I Love this beer. The balance of all the hopes and a little sweetness is great. The aroma brings a smile to my face. The flavor gives a tingle to my loins. Every sip I take, I am happy that I have evolved to love hops!
I also had this on draft and it was pretty damn good too!

4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

Bottled on 1/10/2012

Brew poured a very hazy dark orange color that is darker than I would have expected for the style. 1 1/2" of slightly off white tight knitted head that hung around for a good 5-7 minutes before dissipating to a thin ring around the edges and a choppy light lace pattern in the center. Also good lacing on the sides of the glass that hung around well after the beer was gone.

The smell is amazing. Overly ripe grapefruit and a nice balance of malt character can be found easily. Honey and pine with more fruit than I have ever smelled in a beer. Pineapples and mango go nicely with sugary sweet papaya. I could just sit and smell this and be happy without even drinking it. Well maybe not...

The taste is a hopslam. Piney resin and bitterness abound, but without that tongue tingling goodness that makes the best IPAs stand out. Smooth like a good Dipa should be, but missing that certain something. Maybe the nose set me up a little too high. Peppery finish and a nice complex flavor.

Mouthfeel is slick and oily at first, then very dry on the back end. Kind of strange, but in a good way. Medium bodied and not as thin as are many in the style.

Overall this is a wonderful offering from Bells that I will definitely seek out again next year. A little steep on the price, but I expected such with all of the hype associated with this one. Well above average.

3.5/5  rDev -22%

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.