Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 2,393
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,259 | Hads: 11,634
4.88/5  rDev +9.7%

This is absolutely one of my favorite beers. When people say that some beers are extraordinary, I get skeptical. How can a beer be so much different than all the beers in it's category. The answer: I have no idea but this beer does it. Every flavor that most IPA's would have this beer has it multiplied by 5. The taste has such a bite and such a fresh pull that it just makes you happy. I love it. (398 characters)

Paid $5 for a bottle of this a few years ago and got another bottle as an extra recently. I was expecting one of the best IIPAs in the world but was very very disappointed. (172 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -7.2%

Took a little road trip to get as its not delivered to NJ. Was glad I got some but was not blown away. Very good but not amazing. Tasty and easy to drink but a step down from some other IPA's IMO. Would drink it again if I come accross it but will not seek it out. (268 characters)

Asking a beer lover their favorite beer is asking a music lover their favorite song. This beer would be "Can't you hear me knocking?" This is the first beer I had of that caliber and I look forward to it's release every year. (228 characters)

4.42/5  rDev -0.7%

12oz bottle. Bottled 1/8/15 (only 13 days ago) Appearance: brilliant clarity with a golden/orange color and a thin white head that dissipated quickly. Aroma: A punch of citrus with notes of orange and peach, with an underlying grassy, piney base. Taste: Really rich and sweet maltiness, almost candy like, with definitive citrus flavors. Resinous, strong hop bitterness slowly builds and comes to a crescendo after the swallow. Mouthfeel: Light to moderate body with a low carbonation and a hint of alcohol warmth. Finish: Bitterness and dryness grows after the swallow and lingers with some resin on the tongue. Overall: Very light and balanced for a double IPA, with the richness of the malt standing up to the hops. This causes the bitterness to slowly increase as opposed to an abrasive punch in the face. Aroma is complex and inviting. Great IIPA. (852 characters)

4.09/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A very tasty IPA, but it's hasn't got the smoothness or hop profile to keep up with the other greats. If I put this up against Artaic, another honey IPA, the hop slam gets blown away. It's really good, just packs a bitter punch with a heavy malt profile, two things I personally don't look for in a great IPA. I would drink again though and as I mentioned, it is tasty. (372 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +6.7%

This is an amazing beer, well worth the wait, however they do vary year by year. last year's hopslams were very alcohol flavored, the previous year hopslams were 5 across the board, and worth the absurd price. this last year's hopslams were a bit too alcohol flavored, and not crazy hopped enough. (299 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -10.6%

A: Hazy orange, hardly any lasting head, spots of lace.

S: Orange rind, biscuit, honey.

T: Orange juice, mild pine resin, bitter herbs, good note of sweet honey. The finish alternates between the sweet and the bitter. No detection of the super high ABV, for the better.

M: It has a syrup/oily quality to it, not much in the way of carbonation, yet still easy to drink.

O: A good beer, surprised at the actual lack of variety of hoppy flavors and the balance between bitterness and sweetness as opposed to straightforward bitterness, although my bottle was 4 months old. I'll try it again with a fresher bottle, but for the moment it's a great IPA, nothing more. (665 characters)

4.27/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle poured into a BarrelHouse Brewing Co pint glass

A: Pours slightly hazy deep golden amber with a frothy light tan head that settles to a solid layer and leaves thick lacing.

S: Bright citrus, fruity notes, pine, and caramel malt sweetness.

T: Pine, citrus, grapefruit and a little orange, floral, fruity peach notes, a little honey, caramel malt sweetness, and a some alcohol.

M: Full body, moderate carbonation, pretty smooth, but also a little warmth.

O: By the time I could get my hands on this bottle it was less than fresh, but I gotta say, it held up well. Maybe a bit too much alcohol comes though, but still good stuff. I can tel that when fresh it can be something really special and hopefully will get a chance to retry it in more optimal conditions. (773 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Amazing hop flavor with a slight honey taste on the back-end. Smell can be slightly off, but flavor and feel are on point. Probably the best Double IPA you can get. Limited release makes it all the more special. My father in-law sends me a 6 pack or two every year, he lives nearby where its brewed, and it is always a treat. (325 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I drank this one a while ago so I don't recall enough to give a thorough review. All I know is that this beer, while great for what it is, isn't quite my cup of...beer. Hoppy as hell, yeah, but more bitter than I like. Like, almost aggressively bitter. Don't get me wrong, judging this objectively, they created a genuine hopslam and if I were ever in the mood for an IPA that was that intense, it would hit the spot, but I prefer my hops more spicey, citrusy, floral, and less tongue-shredding. There's some honey in there which gives a nice malty balance when it's needed, but it's too little, too late. I'll buy it next year, but maybe just a single bottle rather than a whole $20 sixer. (696 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Look: who cares. It is a double IPA it should be cloudy
Smell: heavy hop
Taste: dirty with hops
Feel: appropriate

Awesome beer. Dirty with hops as a double IPA should be. (171 characters)

4.98/5  rDev +11.9%

One of my favorite beers. Bottled in Jan 2015. Aroma is wonderful in those beer picking up the hints of honey. The aroma is outdone w/the taste though. This is such a smooth beer with the infused honey. This is also a potent beer at 10% ABV. I drink a couple of these and I'm feeling good :) (296 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +8.5%

One of my favorite beers hands down. The hops come through but don't completely over power your pallet. The honey really adds a wonderful sweetness and along with the malt rounds the beer out very nicely. If you're looking for a well balanced imperial IPA this is a great one, if you're looking to be overwhelmed by hops this isn't for you. I'd drink this any day over Heady Topper. (383 characters)

4.32/5  rDev -2.9%

Roughly 3oz pour at a beer festival. It was good, hoppy, and everything that should be expected from a double IPA, however I don't think it quite lives up to the hype. It's nothing extraordinarily special. Is it a good beer? Yes, undeniably so, but is this something I would take off work early to snag a few bottles of? Probably not. (334 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

*transferred from previous notes 1/21/2014*
On tap into a tulip. It has an strong, although not quite overwhelming, grapefruit-citrus aroma with some resin and floral spiciness and a mellow lemon and grass background notes. It’s a slightly hazy, orange-gold beer with a very light foamy head that leaves an average lacing along the inside of the glass. The taste is medium-heavy bitter with maybe some light citrus sweet, but the bitter definitely dominates (would you ever guess that from the name?). It’s a medium-full body beer with a pleasant amount of carbonation. Even though the malt doesn’t readily present itself in the nose, or even in the tongue for that matter, it subtly presents in the fact that this beer is very smooth drinking for such a hop forward recipe. It’s beautifully balanced and leaves a mild hop and floral aftertaste that’s surprising clean - it doesn’t linger very long and, while it is present, doesn’t feel like it coating my mouth. (977 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -9%

Bottled 1/10/15, so roughly 3.5 months old.

Not nearly as hoppy as I was hoping for (but that's to be expected with the age). On top of that, it was very sweet. I would love to try one fresh to see the difference.

All in all, still a good beer. Overall, with 3.5 months of age, it's a solid B-. (298 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Really excited to try this one but unfortunately the bitterness overtakes the honey for me. I feel that the flavors didn't really mesh as well as I hoped. Obviously I'm in the minority here, just my opinion on this one. (219 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Awesome. One of the best IPA's I've ever had. Love the big hop hit and subtle sweet honey follow-up. Crap...only 2 left from this year's batch :( (152 characters)

4.23/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured cold into a tulip glass. Bottled on 1/9/15 and consumed on 1/27/15.
Look = 4.5 Pours a clear golden orange color with thick creamy 3 fingers of just off white head; great retention and lace.
Aroma = 4.5 Hop forward but just by a bit; Big citrus and tropical fruit notes with an underlying sweet aroma of bready and toffee malts with honey and sugar.
Taste = 4.0 Big malty backbone with candied sugar and bready and toffee malts and some honey in the middle of the taste. Balanced by citrus notes on the backend and a big bitter finish.
Feel = 4.25 Medium to high carbonation with a medium to full body. Lightly syrupy but smooth and a bit of fizz no the tongue.
Drinkability = 4.25 Easy drinking big DIPA, great balance.
Overall = 4.2625 (747 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -21.3%

Way overrated and nowhere near the hype. Had 2 of my 6 pack and gave the other 4 away to friends. To each their own. But there are much better beers at a much better price point imho. (183 characters)

4.32/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into chalice.

Been about 7 years since I last had one. While it wasn't the hop bomb I remembered, it tasted just as good. That's not to say it isn't hoppy, but after 7 years of drinking really hoppy beers it didn't hit me quite the same way. (256 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +5.6%

Couldn't get a whole lot on the smell but the hop taste was certainly there deceiving me. What an amazing beer for a 10% IPA I can't wait to get more of this next year. The honey makes this beer brilliant! (207 characters)

If you are an IPA lover or Hops lover in general, this beer is an absolute MUST HAVE. I love IPA's and Hoppy beers in general and this one is the strongest I've ever had in that regard. But what makes this beer a 5 out of 5 for me is the addition of the honey flavor ... It is the icing on the cake and it's what really makes this beer DELICIOUS! (346 characters)

4.96/5  rDev +11.5%

2015 Hopslam was awesome. Had a bottle that was 6 days old. Super hop aroma with a touch of honey to finish.

2 months later found another bottle in the cellar, sad to say it is much different. My fault though. Much maltier and way less hop aroma. Do not sit on this beer. (279 characters)

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.