2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Ratings: 8,804 | Reviews: 3,088 | Show All Ratings:
tharper

3.6/5  rDev -20%

O.K. here we go:
S - Oops I just ran over a case of grapefruit while I was mowing my lawn
T- sticky sweet grapefruit meets everclear
M - dry but resiney and my tongue still hurts
O- Alright I am a brewer with a ridiculous contract for Amarillo hops. I decide to make an over-the-top DIPA and let the craziness begin. 10% abv - but still with a final gravity in the 1.020 range- with the honey o.g. must've been in the 1.120 range. Mash around 150 please.

Sorry, I digress. This is like a Mitt Romney tax rate. Too much cash and the rest of the world can just suck it.

I drank one, o.k.that was extreme,. I drank two. I'm fuzzy. I split one with some DIPA homebrew - that was still pretty sweet. Split it 33% TO 67% HopSLAM to Homebrew DIPA- no need to dry hop ever again . . .

I wonder if the Amarillo hops quota and supply would even out if we would stop paying $20 a sixer for this.

Stop the madness and allow a bit of subtlety please. Someone else might like to use some of the amariillo supply.

Aargh! pirate retort.

Still on the pliny train.

01-27-2012 04:31:49 | More by tharper
woodychandler

3.83/5  rDev -14.9%

Oh damn, any regrets that I may have had in not going to Philly for the fest at the shipyard evaporated when I saw this on the table yesterday (Central PA Bottle Share, Sa, 05 Mar 2011). As the late Mickey Spillane would have said, "I creamed my jeans"! I was so cowed by its presence that I had to ask ffejherb for permission to open it, to which he enthusiastically assented. I had to read the directions, because if I screwed the pooch, I would be a pariah and it was so early on. The big Q for me was the initial venting, but I remembered the pull, twist and pour from my Best Brown in the Fall.

I got a finger-and-a-half of soapy ecru head with decent retention off of my pour. Color was a solid amber with NE-quality clarity. BUPGOO! Yeah, give this to the kiddies. Nose was so piney that I began to swoon. It was, in my addled mind, like licking a pine tree. Mouthfeel was medium and the hops had already begun to mute, so the taste was heavier on caramel malt, but I still got some hops on the tongue. The finish was likewise caramel-like initially, nut lingering with hops. Dang, but I would like to try this absolutely fresh! No matter, I CAN now die h(a/o)ppy, having had some. Did I mention the excellent lacing throughout? Glug!

03-06-2011 15:36:36 | More by woodychandler
AleWatcher

4.43/5  rDev -1.6%

5 Liter mini-keg. Served in Imperial Pint glass.

The wife said the minikeg was taking up too much room. So I decoded to have a few friends over to watch the Oscars. Printed up the nominee list and made some wagers... And, more importantly, finally cracked my minikeg!

Pale orange in color-- somewhere between dark gold and showing slight hints of copper. Off-white head of 3 sudsy fingers leaves nice thick streaky chunks and ringlets of lace behind.

Smells like Hopslam still-- grapefruit and pineapple! Little malt... Some orangey notes. Huge citrus hops. Me likey.

Taste is great. Just enough malt backbone to act as a solid delivery vessel for a mad hop attack. Some light sweetness early, but huge citrus hops towards the back lingering bitterness at the finish! Man is this good.

Body is pretty full. Strong assertive carbonation helps the beer feel prickly and punchy. Very nice. A light resin and oil feel after the swallow, but it is tasteful and well integrated.

I could drink this all day.... I guess it's cool I have a minikeg! I'm going back for more right now!
Lots of people say this beer fades too fast- while it is true that it fades, I've enjoyed many a Hopslam through July! The trick is to tuck them at the back of the fridge (the regular cold fridge!) where the temp is around 34-36 degrees. They stay out of the light back there too.
Cheers!

02-27-2011 23:44:47 | More by AleWatcher
SFLpunk

Vermont

4.6/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to qspandrew for hooking this up! A generous soul if there ever was one! 5L mini keg.

Pours a crystal clear medium amber with slowly exploding off-white head. Got 2 fingers out of a gentle pour. Lots of staying power and almost stains the glass with lacing.

Nose is sticky and lush with lots of tropical fruit notes, some floral honey in there for sure and it just smells like sticky buds (hops and otherwise).

Palate is wide and full of juicy hop oils, pink grapefruit, mango, orange blossom honey, pale caramel, and guava puree. Really fruity and luscious. Gripping bitterness is balanced by sticky malt sweetness. Ridiculously drinkable despite being 10% ABV.

Notes: A friend of mine described the flavor as being like "fresh, juicy" hops instead of "boiled, cooked" hops. I agree 100%. I'm tasting similarities in the Mid-West IPAs and the VT IPAs lately. Loving every juicy sip.

01-24-2011 05:22:45 | More by SFLpunk
jdense

Oregon

4.47/5  rDev -0.7%

Mini-keg shared by Eric at inflateablechair's epic Imperial Stout tasting, as a 'palate cleanser' :).

Deep gold body, big foaming head (forgot to bleed the keg second time), significant carbonation rising up glass, big lacing. Nose is pretty complex for such a hopbomb, the honey is fairly noticeable in the nose, dryish bready malts, and big citrus with guava tropical aromas. Taste is more hoppy than the aroma, piney up front, honey and bready malts in the middle leading to a sweetish resiny, not bitter, finish. Mouthfeel is medium full, good effervescence in light of funky packaging. I could have drank a lot of this, but, heh, there were about 100 stouts that were calling my name. I see what the buzz is about, I can't imagine a more drinkable DIPA in this ABV range. World class.

01-24-2011 01:14:30 | More by jdense
crossovert

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

5l minikeg.

From the minikeg this one looks amazing. The head is much larger than the bottled version and it recedes to some nice lacing. Not as much carbonation bubbles as the bottle once it is poured.

The smell is perhaps a bit sweeter in the minikeg, I am also having it colder than I would a bottle, I can't wait for it to warm up.

With the cooler temp it definitely has a ncie bitter hop bite, I would say a bit more piney flavor than when it is warmer.

It is as good in the minikeg as any style of vessel, just let it warm up a bit.

01-23-2011 03:01:38 | More by crossovert
beerhan

4.5/5  rDev 0%

Shared a mini-keg between three of us. Just from turning the little knob at the top you can just smell the sweet nectar from far away.

It was a real treat to have this. Incredible carbonation, nice one inch head that left my glass nice and sticky with a lot of remnants of the foam. It smells like hummingbird feeder food. Just this sweet nectar mixed with the fruit aisle at the grocery store. Tastes incredibly grapefruity and kind of piney. The honey is not that noticeable but it is there. I feel the other flavors really outshine it. Aftertaste is a subtle bitter slam of hops. Hopslam has an incredibly creamy mouthfeel and it just goes down so smooth. One of the most drinkable high abv beers ever. We each had at least 4 and change and could definitely feel the alcohol but it does not get to be a burden. Mini-keg is the best way to have hopslam ever.

01-17-2011 17:12:11 | More by beerhan
JohnnyChicago

4.55/5  rDev +1.1%

Sampled from a fresh bottle first, but this is from a minikeg; poured it into a Duvel tulip.

A: Beautiful, really! This is as pretty as a DIPA can get: perfectly hazeless honey colored body with a fluffy white head.

S: Hop. Bomb. Just a ton of hops here: grassy, piney, lots of orange and pineapple, honey is also present.

T: Follows the nose. Just a plethora of hop sweetness, tang, and bitterness. There is a cornucopia of hop flavours and the sweetness balances it out perfectly.

D: Way too drinkable; I mean it! The mouthfeel is downright creamy and their is no dryness from the honey, just pure balance.

Overall: The definitive no-coast IPA and one of the greatest DIPAs in the world, without a doubt. The balance that the folks at bell's have achieved with this beer is proof of their skill. Highly recommended!

01-14-2011 18:49:08 | More by JohnnyChicago
Sandbarunner

South Carolina

4.38/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

AS far as an over hyped IPA goes this is the tops.

Everyone wants it and no owns has it. That is retarded. This beer is available. Bell's just chooses to limit how it comes out. Good for them, bag for all of us.

This is a good IOA. Two Hearted with a good finish. Then add in that the Honey really finished the deal.

Great Beer!

IOver hyped...

04-20-2014 04:26:06 | More by Sandbarunner
Kramerwtmf

4.3/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This beer came to me a few months ago and I finished all six relatively soon after. It was a slightly sweet dipa with the honey noticeable in the front end of each sip. It was very strong at 10% and a little boozy but I really enjoyed it. I wish it was easier to get because I would buy it often.

04-17-2014 04:08:53 | More by Kramerwtmf
pinyin

3.49/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Difficult to find in New York, even after the fact that Bell's just got distribution rights no less than two months ago within the state of New york.

A lot of fanfare surrounding Hopslam and being a fan of Bell's, IPA's and DIPA's I had to try it.

This is a 10% ABV ale so before drinking it I figured it would be very harsh, but I was wrong. It goes down quite smoothly for a 10%. Almost too smooth. You get the impression that Bell's took their time and engineered this ale with the most refined of brewing processes.

Look and smell were fairly average.

Taste is refined and smooth, more like a hoppy dark ale, and not much IPA bitterness.

It says on the bottle that there is honey added, which I normally do not like (much prefer rock sugar). I honestly couldn't taste any notes of honey.

Overall this is worth trying but not worth the $19.99 per six pack price that I had to pay at my local supermarket.

Certainly a good ale, but nothing special in my book, and the alcohol by volume is really high for an ale of this type.

I would much prefer a Victory Dirtwolf or Stone Ruination.

04-16-2014 16:25:31 | More by pinyin
Circles413

What can I say about, Hopslam that hasn't been said before? This beer is amazing!!! I've tried; 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014 & I must say that 2014 is the best! It has a huge mouth feel without all the bitterness. The hops are huge, the citrus flavor is there & it's a huge DIPA!!! I LOVE the Oracle but Hopslam is hands down one of, if not the BEST DIPA's out there!!!

04-16-2014 06:59:40 | More by Circles413
BurdockBoy

Oregon

4.35/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a pint glass.

A: Beautiful clear orange amber with about 2" of white head with nice lacing.
S: sweet hops. Faint citrus.
T: Not what I was expecting. I'm used to west coast hoppy beers which aren't as sweet, but I really liked it. Complex, but not too overbearing.
M: very crisp. Not overly carbonated, but still some kick.
O: I really like this beer. Unfortunately I can't find it here in Oregon, but was glad for the trade. I'm still a little taken a back by the sweetness, but the more I drink of it the more I like it.

04-13-2014 01:21:32 | More by BurdockBoy
sorryifyoudont

South Carolina

4.56/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Ok, I know this review is in spring but for a winter seasonal, sue me. Wonderful pour with a frothy head bubbles throughout. Golden amber tint to the pour. Smell is a bit of citrus but you can't avoid tears from the hoppiness(good thing). Taste almost mimics the smell extremely hoppy finish with a citrus undertone. Sits on the tounge well. Overall a great beer and I am glad it lived up to the hype.

04-10-2014 00:22:35 | More by sorryifyoudont
mabermud

Washington

4.28/5  rDev -4.9%

This is beer is sweet,tasty, not heavy, but a bit complex. The style is very different from West Coast style IPAs. It isn't too dark or overpowering, very drinkable, yet strong. I am going to be trading for more of this most excellent beer. It's too bad I cannot go to the corner store to pick up more of this beer...

04-08-2014 02:47:29 | More by mabermud
SteveB24

3.73/5  rDev -17.1%

appearance; straw/ golden, medium carbonation, very thick, sticky white head that retains well.

smell; tropical fruit notes, hint of citrus, honey, alcohol.

taste; very strong alcohol, sweet, fruity taste as well, the honey is definitely there.

mouthfeel; full body, strong carbonation.

overall; not bad but alcohal is very overpowering, and definitely not worth the price.

04-06-2014 05:53:17 | More by SteveB24
agilis

4.71/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

At the Flying Pig in Malvern, PA.

Quite nearly a perfect beer. 12 oz goblet pour. Beautiful, thick golden color. Amazing head.

Had all of the great aspects of a special beer: taste, mouth feel, smell. There's really no need to go on and on...I think I've made my point.

The best summary may have come from my wife who's watching what she eats/drinks...."Wow, maybe I should cancel my BLT and order one of those"!

04-03-2014 21:40:12 | More by agilis
RoninVP

4.53/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into 16oz Ball Mason jar.

I recently tasted this against "Loose Cannon", "Raging Bitch", & "Aprihop". Each have their place and Bell's Hopslam stood out as a the best of the group. The group all agreed that isn't wasn't so wild an IPA that most IPA drinkers couldn't handle it. I'm happy knowing that I can stock the fridge with this (when I can find it) and everyone will be happy!

04-01-2014 17:55:44 | More by RoninVP
NuckleDragger

4.64/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Very sexy yellowish/orange color with a meringue like head that hangs around for a while.

S: Tropical fruits, pine, honey, and something else sweet that I can't quite put my finger on.

T: Sweet up front and mid palate. Very juicy. The bitterness kicks in on the after taste. For such a high ABV it is extremely easy to drink. Lovely.

M: Just a little carbonation on the mouth feel. It's not necessarily thick, it's just juicy.

O: A terrific beer. Very sweet and decent bitterness. Not as bitter as the 100+ IBU beers out there but great none-the-less. It's like kissing your 8th grade crush for the first time. Highly recommended.

04-01-2014 11:05:57 | More by NuckleDragger
Amanspearfishing

Good gawd! Get dunked on by this hopslamming ale; the smell is of a hoppy meadow in the Elysian fields and the taste is similar to a bulldozer shoving a inordinate amount of pines citrus hops and a motley of other refreshing ingredients onto your palate where they accommodate one another instead of duking it out.

04-01-2014 02:58:56 | More by Amanspearfishing
GregA135

4.06/5  rDev -9.8%

When I first sipped this beer, I thought "What's the big deal about this beer?" It could of been my palate from drinking other beers, but when I took another sip and let it sit in mouth for a bit... thats when I really tasted the beer.

Smelled of honey, grapefruit, and orange

Hops really came out after letting it sit for a little bit on my tongue

Definitely give this one a try!

03-31-2014 21:57:44 | More by GregA135
Mo_fro

Connecticut

4.04/5  rDev -10.2%

A- Has a clear dark orange color with a white fluffy two finger head that dissolves quickly. The head leaves chunky lacing all the way around the class

S- Huge pineapple and honey notes accompanied by fresh grass. It also has a slight smell of alcohol

T- Has a big bitter bite in the beginning which is smoothed by the honey and then followed by a nice sweet and fruity finish.

M- has a crisp medium mouth feel with sharp carbonation

O- overall a very enjoyable beer. It’s well balanced and provides great flavors, no part of it is more overpowering than the other. Definitely something to seek out if you have not tried it.

Enjoy-

03-30-2014 23:59:45 | More by Mo_fro
Lunch

Maryland

1.95/5  rDev -56.7%

This shit is like a goddamn IBM commercial as it is fucking baffling to me. What just happened? It’s like when you watch someone struggle to back into parking spot for no reason…I get that you desire that quick getaway if you’re robbing a goddamn bank, but you’re most likely just headed into Target to procure some fucking Easy Mac and a side of stretch pants…I mean leggings. For someone apparently so concerned about time management why do your actions reflect the complete opposite?

Let’s backtrack to some time in 2007. I knew nothing about hops from a standpoint that the shit fades in both aroma and flavor with time and other factors. I knew nothing about beer releases or seasonal beer schedules. Like a goddamn idiot (when this situation is viewed from the perspective of someone that is “in the know”) I call up a store that carries Bell’s and ask foolishly about if they have Hopslam. Luckily for my ego (when also viewed from a more “knowledgeable” perspective) the motherfucker working there knew even less than I did. Shockingly they did not have it.

Fast-Forward a couple years and finally I was able to get a six-pack of this shit and I was a little hard to say the least. I brought the shit to a fellow cockman’s abode and opened that bitch. Immediately I was brought back to a time when I first discovered free pornography on the Internet…I wanted to tell everyone about it, but selfishly I wanted it all for myself. The smell was fucking amazing. Tropical fruit up the ass. Taste was nearly as perfect. This is really the beer that got me into DIPAs in the first place. Over the years I would try to seek the shit out and most of the time I was able to track down at least a bottle. I would be lying if the experience ever lived up to my first, but beer can be like crack in that way.

Now bring thineself to early 2014. I’m all ready and lubed up for this shit as I’ve got my fucking Hopslam glass and I’m wearing my fucking Hopslam t-shirt and the room has been rented in full for the next hour. I open the goddamn bottle (that still has one of the best labels of all time) and I’m ready to take every crooked inch of hops that this beer has to offer…

Wait a fucking second…where in the fuck are the hops? I’m only smelling sweet malt and alcohol. Something must be wrong here so another bottle is then opened and it too greets me with the same bullshit. It does appear a bit dark in the glass compared to memory, but hopefully the taste will be redeeming. I take a sip. Quickly I think of all of the assholes that back into parking spots in an effort to increase efficiency. Bell’s decided to name this beer “Hopslam” and as such I am rather confused...but we must dig further. We see that also contained within this beer is “[a] generous malt bill and a solid dollop of honey provide just enough body to keep the balance in check, resulting in a remarkably drinkable rendition of the Double India Pale Ale style.” First of all I will never disrespect a good dollop, but I will question its usage. Wait…so you brew a beer to showcase the beauty of what hops can do, but you then add in a whole bunch of shit that takes away from exactly that…seems rather illogical. In the mind of what type of person does adding a fucking “generous malt bill and a solid dollop of honey” equate to keeping the “balance in check” in a fucking DIPA that claims to be "[a] biting, bitter, tongue bruiser of an ale"?

Like those foolish people that will adamantly defend their flawed parking technique, there will be those that equally defend the concept of balance in DIPAs. Everyone is certainly entitled to his or her opinion…as long as they know that they’re wrong.

"With a name like Hopslam, what did you expect?"...I don't know...one should reasonably expect to be slammed by some fucking hops. After all...that is why I rented this goddamn motel room for the next hour.

03-27-2014 21:29:27 | More by Lunch
Franziskaner

Missouri

4.41/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Light amber in color with a fairly hazy profile. A quarter inch thick off white head caps off the top. Brussels lacing. Aroma is an intense aroma of citrus hops with notes off mango,passion fruit and pineapple. The mouth is very sticky and dry. There's an intense rush of citrus hops that doesn't let up. The light malt backbone does keep things from getting out of hand. The fade still has an intense citrus hop burn.

03-27-2014 16:59:42 | More by Franziskaner
elNopalero

4.78/5  rDev +6.2%

Update: Cracked open my first bottled Hopslam this year. ...and my second, and my third, and fourth and ....

It's delicious, doesn't drink like a 10%+ beer. Honeyed sweet, but intensely hoppy at the same time. Haters gonna hate but this is superior. For a limited release that’s still wildly available at a price point cheaper than most beers sold in bombers what more can I say?

My 450th review. And the first time I’ve ever tried Hopslam!

Had on draught at the Eccentric Café in good ol’ Kalamazoo, Michigan.

This poured a caramel-amber color. Looking good, looking good.
I get a hop slam of aroma—just a blast of hops. First whiff set the stage for the floral, vibrant, zesty, hoppy goodness. Hook this up to an oxygen tank and let me breath it in! Flavor combination of some tropical fruits, lots of citrus, and a bit of a chewiness to keep it interesting. I found a big malt backing to balance out the scales and a dry finish that kept me begging for more, more, more! I sipped and I sipped and I decimated my palate with hop bitterness. Hopslam! (Exclamation point!)

03-25-2014 23:54:36 | More by elNopalero
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.