Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 2,284
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 11,354 | Reviews: 3,379
4.76/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

It had been a while since I had Hopslam - probably five or six years. Living in Chicago now, it was easily accessible, so I have sampled it many times this (2014) season. First off, I am not sure whether it's a difference in this year's batch, or whether my palate has changed, but this beer does not strike me as deserving of its name. "Slam" isn't the word that comes to mind - more like a big wet kiss. The nose is boozy and dripping with fruit and honey. The hops are present in the mix, but this beer is extraordinarily well-balanced, and has a sweetness to each element - nose, body, and finish - that really appeals to me.

I have had it from the bottle, from a snifter, a pint glass, a tulip glass, and I would drink it out of a paper cup if I had to. It pours a misty golden color, with a minimal head that quickly dwindles to a faint spiderweb. Smelling brings some hops, but again, a touch of sweet honey to smooth it out. Just the right amount of carbonation, and the mouthfeel is like a light syrup. It tastes magical, the Platonic ideal of a honey-brewed IPA, imperial or otherwise. But that sweet touch really distinguishes it, making it incomparable, to my mind, with some of the other great imperial pales I've had - Heady Topper, Abrasive, Dreadnaught, Arctic Panzer Wolf. Highly recommended, but drink it fresh to keep as much of the hop presence as you can - if you're out of market and thinking about trading for it in 2014, do it now.

3.76/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Date: 3/23/14. Bottled on 1/17/14.
Pours a pure orange, with dissipating white head but bubbles remain sitting at the surface, like a 10.0 ABV should.

For a beer so big in numbers and its namesake, the aroma doesn't quite match the bill. It has a well balanced smell of grapefruit and some pine... But not the dankness of hops that I expected. As I further read the bottle only now do I see that the beer is brewed with honey. I wouldn't have pointed it out without reading it, but maybe that is the reason the hop smell is leveled off some.

Hopslam's taste is well rounded, but that wasn't what I was expecting. The alleged honey that I didn't really smell has come out to cut the hoppy character that I thought this beer would have. Anyway, this beer is still quite enjoyable. The finish is fantastic and so is the mouthfeel.

3.5/5  rDev -21.9%

4.35/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Deep amber-orange. A little bit cloudy. One finger off-white head.

S: Very nice with a citrus aroma. Not too overwhelming though.

T: A nice a citrus taste at first that then yields to a bitter hoppy taste. Left a lingering taste of alcohol.

M: Very mild on my palate until swallowed. At that point the full flavored come forth. Goes down fairly smooth.

O: I've been holding off on this review. After all the rave reviews for Hopslam, I wanted to have some other good IPAs in between my first bottle and my review. To be fair, it was bottled in January and I got lucky, picking up a six pack that had hidden in the storage of Wegmans in early March. Probably not the freshest it could be. There are many good IPAs out there. Hopslam is no doubt one of them. However, there is a lot of hype around this beer. So much so that I feel Hypeslam is an appropriate name. I don't think it justifies the $20 price tag for a six-pack. Not when you can pick up many other IPAs of just as good quality for $11. Again, Hopslam is very good. But not for the price. Maybe if I got it on tap or closer to the source i'd feel different. Bell's Two-Hearted is almost as good, half the price and readily available.

3.25/5  rDev -27.5%

4.39/5  rDev -2%

another awesome one today! thank you Mike!
pours a golden, honey-like color with little carbonation but a beautiful creamy opaque head. I love the way this brew looks!
aroma is of honey first, and actually, that is all I get... some other stuff, but not an overpowering aroma of anything. I see others remarking on the hop, but this one is stamped 12/20/2013 so maybe it's endured a bit on the long journey.... but I hear Bell will begin distributing here in SoCal (san diego) in May!!!! just need to drive to get it....
taste is honey (amazing!) with some slight hop bitterness. very easy to drink (this is 10% ?!?)... some bready malt to it at the finish.... definitely NOT west coast double imperial ipa, but very very good. again, another first for me!!!

3.5/5  rDev -21.9%

4.75/5  rDev +6%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.