1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Ratings: 8,760 | Reviews: 3,085 | Show All Ratings:
DarkerTheBetter

3.85/5  rDev -14.4%

Found at Capone's. Says here on the website that it is eight months old.

This beer pours a cloudy pumpkin and straw with a rough film of head.

Smells powerfully of orange juice and tangerines with a powdered sugar amplifying its fruity sweetness. There's also a touch of rye crisp that rounds this one out nicely.

There's a big hop punch to start this one off that is pleasantly aggressive. The citrus fruitiness is there, but there's a dry woody pine that steals the show along with a touch of grapefruit rind. A slight alcohol sting sneaks in with this dryness. It finishes out a little mossy and dirty.

Feels huge with a nice crisp body but a huge swarm of tiny bubbles that thicken it up quite a bit.

A huge hop-bomb. If that's what you're looking for, it will deliver.

09-04-2007 01:09:51 | More by DarkerTheBetter
bosco7

3.9/5  rDev -13.3%

Copper in color with plentiful head.

Orange, lavender, pine resin and some strawberry in the nose. The aroma doesn't really entice me much. I find Two Hearted to much more appealing in the nose.

Big malty start that is overtaken with candy orange, mango, tobacco, floral/perfumey, and pine needle flavors. Some booze which was expected. Finishes very bitter with some residual sweetness. Nice flavors.

Medium-big mouthfeel with some carbonation bite. Nice DIPA but I think that prefer Bell's Two Hearted Ale. Still good and worth trying.

08-30-2007 03:15:10 | More by bosco7
franksnbeans

4.5/5  rDev 0%

Pours a golden orange with almost 2 fingers of creamy head that dies down to a layer sitting on top and huge lacing throughout. Smells of gynormous hops, pine, citrus and grapefruit. Tastes delicious. Huge hops, citrus, rind, grapefruit, pine and HOPS. Nice malty balance that lets this not be too over the top. I might not be getting the full hopslam effect since this is not a freshly bottled sample but this is up there and a delicious brew. Alcohol hides nicely and carbonation is perfect. No bitterness lingering. A classic.

08-24-2007 23:42:00 | More by franksnbeans
KRMBeerGuy

4.93/5  rDev +9.6%

Very large mouth feel, excellent obsessive hop flavor. This is quite possibly the perfect American Double IPA. Serious flavor up front, smacks you like your dad's belt... then a long lingering floral hop experience through the finish. Wonderful mixture of some very organic flavors. This is my favorite beer of any that I have tried, and believe me, I've tried A LOT! Any serious hophead should hunt down a few bottles of this one and savor it for all it's worth...

UPDATE:
Saved some 2007 Hopslam and consumed in Spring of 2008. This beer ages extremely well! The edge of the fresh bottles is now much more mellow on the start, and the alcohol flavor is more subdued as well. It seems that even more of the hop flavor comes out in it now. I've still got a few bottles left, I plan on keeping at least one 2007 for another year. I'm planning on aging a few of the 2008 that I have as well.

08-22-2007 23:21:21 | More by KRMBeerGuy
GreenWBush

Oregon

4.38/5  rDev -2.7%

Rejoice; Midwestern classic microbrewery in need of I2pa finally releases one and goes all the way, releasing it in six-pack “damage the head” format. The wait for this has been long in the making. I remember drooling over early reviews when it was served on draft at the Eccentric café. This ended up setting me back $15 for this sixer, a bit steep when you consider that works out to be about $4.50 a bomber. Still, this is a big beer that demands your attention, so what are you going to say, no?

The appearance of this is true to type and actually pale, on its way to peach in color. Globules and flecks of yeast slurry are all over the pour – interesting. Calm head that cascades slowly is not a surprise for a ~10% ABV beer.

Nose is amazing; the hop synergized. Layers of hoppy goodness from pine to grapefruit and back again. The twang of muskmelon. Impression of high-test cannabis, a body/sock funk, and a piney-heat. Yummy, superfresh.

Taste is gorgeous and instantly recalls Dreadnaught and Ruination. Peach cream-savers are also dredged up from the memory banks. Somewhat dry in character, sweet at times but ends up bittersweet. Malt/hop character goes off the trail late into the swallow and on repeat performance. Very good, but not great. Needs just a little bit more of a bitter punch, especially to hold true to the bottle’s designation.

Not necessarily the world-endingly-awesome brew some were hoping for, but close to divine regardless.

08-20-2007 07:13:38 | More by GreenWBush
seaoflament

4.38/5  rDev -2.7%

Got this one courtesy of SPLITGRIN with a number 7690 on the back of the label.

Pours a golden orange color with a thin white lace of bubbles around the glass. The aroma is of juicy citrus and pine hops with a nice malt backbone. The taste is excellent with some good bitterness upfront, slightly alcoholic, but very balanced and drinkable. The mouthfeel is refreshing and the finish is dry with a clean taste. A very solid example of a DIPA and one I wouldn't mind drinking again.

*Updated review with a fresh bottle--Feb. 2, 2008. Batch # 8277

A big thanks to ncvbc for this fresh bottle.

Pours brownish, orange color with an inch of foam which leaves some lacing as it settles to a thin layer. (4)

Big citrus aroma upfront, lots of grapefruit, lemon, orange, pineapple, and nectarine. A touch of honey in the background but very faint; then the toasted malts and bready notes come through the assault of hops. Some caramel and toffee aromas. Very hoppy yet with a strong malt presence to keep this one balanced. For some odd reason I'm getting some cheesy aroma as it warms up. (4)

Taste is of bitter citrus zest with some toast and caramel following close by. Somewhat grainy and dry in the finish. I'm also picking up a slight presence of alcohol in the aftertaste. Some lingering bitterness in the finish, along with bitter grapefruit, lemon and toast. The alcohol is a little more noticeable as it warms up. (4)

Mostly smooth on the tongue with just enough carbonation to clean the palate, well done. (4.5)

While I'm not blown away by HopSlam (I had it before but it was a few months old), but this fresh one is mighty tasty and one fine balanced DIPA. Drinkability (4).

08-07-2007 20:01:28 | More by seaoflament
russpowell

Oklahoma

4.78/5  rDev +6.2%

This one comes courtesy of BARLEYWINEO, cheers! Date code of 4711

Pours a hazed amber/peach tea with 2 fingers+ of cream-colored head. Very good head retention & lacing

S: Huge breadyness & piney hops

T: Large honey cake/breadyness, dryness, boozey warmth & pineyness. Warms with lemony & grapefruitty hopy, plus honey malt. Finishes with huge oily hops, warming booze, caramel & a little bit of dates/figs fruittyness

MF: Chewy& oily , medium carbonation & superb balance

Drinks too damn easy, a great balanced DIPA!

08-02-2007 04:59:53 | More by russpowell
rowew

Colorado

3.85/5  rDev -14.4%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck, label has a guy buried in huge hops. Indecipherable date code on the label.

Appearance: Pours reddish orange with a thin head, but quite a bit of lacing.

Smell: Grapefruit, just a bit of pine, and lots of floral aromas. A bit of malty undertones.

Taste: Medium mouthfeel, very bitter. Definitely a bit puckering, but there are some nice hop flavors in there too - very little malt comes through.

Overall impression: As the label says, "A biting, bitter, tongue bruise of an ale." Very nice though if you like the bitter hop flavors.

07-18-2007 00:31:01 | More by rowew
bigman147

New Hampshire

Appearance: Hazy orangish color. Almost a green character as the aroma fills the room as I inspect the appearance. Good head which settles to solid lacing on the glass.

Smell: It smells like hop harvest time in Idaho. Thick piney, fruity aroma that sticks to your clothes. It almost smelled good enough to smoke if you know what I mean.

Taste: Hops and more hops. A good balance of bitterness and flavor. Its a little thing considering the 9.3% ABV. Sweet citrus fruits accentuate the bitter character. I wouldn't believe that it is 100IBU but it definitely has some bite.

Mouthfeel: Alcohol burn and slight mouthcoating stickyness. Bitterness is slightly lingering with a slight astringency/tartness. Carbonation is medium and helps cleanse the palate but also tends to dry.

Drinkability: I think this beer would be a perfect hop head session beer. Its flavorful yet not overpoweringly bitter. The alcohol would limit the amount I would drink. If I could get it year round, I would definitely drink this pretty often.

07-14-2007 18:59:59 | More by bigman147
Photo of

12oz. bottle, 2nd effort with this beer.

Slightly hazy, orange/yellow color. No real head to speak of.

Aroma was of earth, pine and caramel. Fairly strong scent.

Taste was pine initially, followed by alcohol. Alcohol was quite strong, and could be turned down some without losing anything. Caramel and peaches came through next. Malt picks up a bit as temperature increases, wheat bread. Grassy at finish.

Medium to full body. Low to medium carbonation. Dry.

Overall, very good. Still not sure if it is a slam, but it will certainly get your attention. I'm guessing my last review was on an older bottle.

07-13-2007 17:15:53 | More by
bditty187

Nebraska

4.85/5  rDev +7.8%

Cloudy, bright peachy-yellow gold in hue; what a lovely color! It is like a tropical sunrise… or something. Off-white foam, at the apex the head was almost two fingers tall. The bubbles quickly fell to a fizzy, soapy cap. Surprisingly there wasn’t much lacing. The color of the liquid drives the attractiveness of the appearance; I do wish the head attributes were better. Still, this is a lovely looking beer.

The nose is hoppy. (Understatement is intended.) Big citrus aromas, grapefruit fresh, orange zest, pineapples too. Plus pine needles in the background. There is an amazing array of tropical fruit aromas! Wow. Not much malt. Quite alcohol too. But there are plenty of freaking hops. This is a hop bomb loaded with shrapnel. Watch out… this is one complex DIPA. Inviting, to say the least; I can’t wait any longer to take a sip!

The nose is hoppy. (Understatement is intended. There is no emotion on the Internet.) Damn bitter. Damn flavorful. Grapefruit rinds, hints of citrus flesh, mangos, oranges, pineapple, apricots, pine needles, spruce tree (honestly, I haven’t actually tasted the latter two). While the malt isn’t talkative it does provide a solid foundation for the hops to spring off of. Minimal alcohol heat; moderate sweetness. I’m graced with a long, bitter finish and aftertaste with a “cheesy” hop taste that I like in small amounts (as found in this beer). I am very impressed with the entire flavor profile. Kudos to Bell’s!

Medium/medium-full in body, low but natural carbonation, the mouthfeel is ideal and is very supportive. I can’t see how it could be improve upon.

Oh my… this is one amazing beer. This might be the best DIPA I have ever tasted. If not the best it is number 1-A. I could drink this by the gallon. I would bathe in HopSlam. My idea of heaven is a hamburger buffet with loads of gourmet cheeses and other toppings and an endless supply of HopSlam. Simply stated: I am so impressed. Is it love? Oddly, I thought I reviewed HopSlam. Hell, I also thought I had notes on this beer. They seemed to be misplaced. Luckily I have two bottles left (I won’t after tonight!). Sadly, I can’t thank the BA who traded me these beers because I can’t remember. Thank you nevertheless!

07-11-2007 01:47:53 | More by bditty187
Brent

Kentucky

4.38/5  rDev -2.7%

A HopSlam indeed - whacks you 'upside the head with a huge dose of fresh, raw hops flavor. Bittering and bordering on a thick mouthfeel, but sufficiently reserved not to be too heavy. Hops stays forefront throughout, but manages not to completely overpower the senses. A well executed big hops beer.

06-26-2007 13:55:03 | More by Brent
jspruit

Denmark

4.1/5  rDev -8.9%

Found a cold bottle of this at Martha's Vineyard-a bit of a surprise this time of year and something that I was looking to try.

Smelled great right after opening the bottle and poured with a great strong scent into the pint glass. Didnt pour as murky as I thought that it would be but rather a orange gold with a white 2-finger head with large bubbles. Some sweet floral hints along with the strong hops arose after the pour-my taste buds were watering by then.

The hops are the most evident tastes to me and they are pretty consistent throughout. The floral hints I smelled early definitely come through in the beer too-and there is carbonation throughout as well. There seems to be a alcohol taste at the end of each sip-not quite to my liking really as I think that my tongue is a bit numb now.

I think that that this beer definitely is hoppy enough for me, perhaps a bit too much for my liking. I will definitely try it again if it comes my way, but I dont think that I would be able to handle more than a couple in one session.

06-26-2007 05:05:18 | More by jspruit
jaxon53

Connecticut

4.13/5  rDev -8.2%

Recieved this from brandoman63 in the brews-n-tunes summer '07 tour. Served slightly chilled in a snifter, from a twelve ounce bottle. Poured a beautiful golden amber color, that was a bit cloudy. About a quarter inch of loose, bubbly white head formed in the glass. Head almost instantly faded into a ring of bright white lace in the glass. Smell: Smooth , somewhat aggressive herbal hop aroma, tons of biscuity malt aroma, pears, citrus fruits, and pine all rose from the glass. Taste: Bitter hops that slam the tongue, bready and malty , subtle pineapple and pear. Also some very well hidden alcohol. A pretty well balanced brew. Nice full bodied, somewhat thick but smooth mouthfeel. Mildly carbonated. A very drinkable beer. Very enjoyable.

06-26-2007 00:57:53 | More by jaxon53
illidurit

4.1/5  rDev -8.9%

Thanks to Jay23 for the chance to drink this Michigan beer all the way over here in California.
Poured into a snifter, this beer takes on a nice dark goldenrod color with a one-finger off-white head.

Wonderful scents of piney hops and succulent citrus emanate from the glass.

An interesting orangey hop flavor concomitant with some oily piney hops as well. Doughy malt provides stability and balance. Mouthwatering, delicious beer.

Medium body, appropriate carbonation. Very smooth.

The alcohol is entirely unapparent and a 12 oz bottle leaves me wanting more. Very deserving of its high rating.

Rerate: Oh how young I was when I wrote this! Upon a second tasting, it's obvious that this beer, while good, is too sweet and lacks the bitterness of a top-tier double IPA. Gotta dock points for that.

06-24-2007 21:49:27 | More by illidurit
cheers2beers

3.93/5  rDev -12.7%

Appearance: This beer pours a very murky/ cloudy dull orange hue. The bright white head stood up to staggering heights but fell fairly quick leaving behind a nice web-like lace.

Smell: The aromas are like a bunch of sticky sweet pine saplings drizzled in malt syrup. Lots of floral and mild citrus notes as well. Minimal alcohol is noticed, but I can detect some mouthwatering fruits such as grapefruit and nectarines. Very inviting.

Taste: This beer has a good amount " hop slam " qualities thou I believe it may also have some dull qualities. I'm getting some mildly sweet fruits, mild citrus, almost seems like a small IPA with that big beer bang. Not bad by any means just not living up to its name in my opinion. This more " hop balanced " than a hop slam. :Referr : Lagunitas Maximus for " hop slam " aka 75ish ibus!!

Mouthfeel: This is medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Smooth, sticky, and has soft bubbly finish with a nice alcohol kick.

Drinkability: This is definitely a good drinking beer and I believe I could drink this on a regular basis. Only thing I guess im knocking is not commanding it's namesake.

Cheers2Beers

06-21-2007 23:51:05 | More by cheers2beers
greenbeaner

4.72/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It's taken me a long time to get around to reviewing this one despite how many times I've had it, but that should tell you something :) This may just be my favorite American Double IPA.

Deep deep copper color, frothy one finger head that dissipates to a ring with a quiet lacing.

Smells of heavy hops and citrus up front...mostly grapefruit, lots of malt in the finish.

The heavens have truly graced my tastebuds. Such a perfect balance in this brew. The hops are huge but the citrus keeps them in check, as the strength of the hops almost rise and fall again throughout. The finish is smooth and malty.

Medium bodied in the mouth...it's smooth and creamy but is still able to finish dry, crisp, and clean. Soo good.

I love this beer. I'd drink lots if I could. Normally I would rate drinkability down a bit for higher alcohol percentage....but, personal opinion: I'd rather drink a few strong ones than a bunch of weak ones, so I'm gonna go with my gut and give it a good rating all around. Thank you Bell's.

06-21-2007 03:39:53 | More by greenbeaner
orbitalr0x

4.47/5  rDev -0.7%

From notes. Pours from the 12oz bottle a nice clear golden orange color with a half inch of bubbly white foam on top that leaves spots of lacing on the glass. Real nice clarity. Aromas are a blast of dense hops with an amalgamation of scents...floral, pine and big on the citric side as well with grapefruit standing out. Sorta sweet caramel in the background but the hop bouquet dominates here and really shines. One of the best aromas I've come across in awhile.

First sip brings a rush of dense hop oils swimming with big citrus, floral and pine resin flavors. Sweet caramel malts in the background that do their best to stand up to the onslaught of the bitter hops. The hop flavors and so vibrant and the profile is a nearly perfect mix. It flows down with a nice hit of bitterness and only a faint hint of alcohol. This is simply a damn fine brew and a standout for the style.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and on the heavier side. This makes itself known as you drink it for sure. Good carbonation. This is just a freakin awesome double IPA and I cannot wait until they release this again. I've had this on tap as well and it's been phenomenal. Another feather in the hat for Bell's...easily one of my favorite midwest brewers. I'm patiently awaiting the day they distribute in IL again!

06-15-2007 01:18:26 | More by orbitalr0x
jjayjaye

4.43/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours a slightly hazy amber color with a full finger off white head that fades quickly. Spotty lacing observed.

Need to let it warm up quite a bit to enjoy the flat out grapefruit citrus aroma.

Medium bodied, the mouth feel is immediately bitter with a nicely balanced malt character.

The flavor is quite like the smell. A nice tart blast of grapefruit and it tends to linger in the finish.

Drinkability - Another great IIPA; this one being one of the hoppiest flavored. The 9.3% ABV provides a warmth to the mix. Recommended.

06-14-2007 21:11:53 | More by jjayjaye
scoobybrew

Indiana

4.75/5  rDev +5.6%

This was poured from the bottle into a pint glass. It has a hazy light copper color with a decent head that has good retention. The aroma is wonderfully hoppy and malty, blending to produce a pineapple like scent that is just fantastic. The flavor is strongly hoppy but balanced very well with the sweet malt so that the hop bitterness is noticed on the finish, but is not overwhelming. It has a medium body with moderate carbonation.

This is a wonderful beer. I'm not as familiar with the double IPA style as I would like to be as most of the double IPAs I've tried have really turned me off, either incredibly bitter or sweet and a balance between the two extremes just isn't there. This is definitely not the case with this example. It's very enjoyable. Of course, would I expect less from one of my favorite breweries?

06-12-2007 21:20:46 | More by scoobybrew
Toddv29424

District of Columbia

3.98/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a hazy golden color like most IPA's. There is not a huge amount of bubbles that come up, but a generous amount. The smell of this beer is really terrific, lots of floral hops and special arrangements that I have never smelt before. The taste has five or six distinct hop tastes to it, but unfortunately never really develops any of them. You can tell that great time and energy went into this beer, but it seems like less time went into studying how the hops would react to each other, and whether or not they would all form together. I would still say this beer kicks ass, but the taste gets knocked as they forget that more is not always better. I'll definitely enjoy this again though.

06-10-2007 02:53:36 | More by Toddv29424
plaid75

4.22/5  rDev -6.2%

Poured a medium hazy copper hue with a one finger creamy white head. There was good retention and sticky lacing.

The smell featured an upfront sweet orange hop with accents of pine and pepper.

The taste consisted of an upfront spicy and resiny hop with a robust doughy malt. Some mild warming alcohol appeared at the finish.

The mouthfeel was full with a warm finish.

Overall a superior DIPA. Very drinkable considering the ABV. Thanks to czoch75.

06-07-2007 00:48:57 | More by plaid75
crwills

Ontario (Canada)

3.68/5  rDev -18.2%

I think I am at the rapidly declining end of a love-hate hop relationship. I used to love these hop bombs, and now I often find them one-dimensional and hard to drink. This one, regardless of its high rating and great aroma/flavour, didn't really do it for me. What can I say about it? Massive grapefruit and pine hops all over the place. Balance is OK, but it's still a bitter beast. No astringency or soapy flavours, which is good, but not a whole lot of depth. Alcohol is very well-hidden. Refreshing, definitely a palate killer, and hopheads will (and obviously do) love it.

That said, I'd love to try this on tap or cask and see how it compares.

06-06-2007 15:59:16 | More by crwills
xgrigorix

3.1/5  rDev -31.1%

Twelve ounce brown bottle. Batch # on back label, which yields a bottling date when punched into Bell's online dB.

Pale amber, thin creamy white head.

Notes of lemon & grapefruit make up the nose.

Sweet with a touch of biscuit. Finishes with big bold grapefruit flavour.

Medium bodies, moderate carbonation.

No real depth of flavour. Unremarkable.

05-26-2007 03:16:57 | More by xgrigorix
CharlieMopps

4.8/5  rDev +6.7%

A: Two and a half fingers of billowing head that dissipated ever so slowly, leaving in its wake a foamy lace. The beer itself was a transparent deep amber and burnt-orange.

S: Could smell it as soon as I opened the bottle. There was a big floral bouquet that had a sweetness to it. Also in the mix were an array of citrus fruit smells; grapefruit, lemon, orange.

T: Lipsmacking good. Very smooth transition of flavor with a bit of a sweet introduction, immediately followed by a strong but pleasing hop presence. Honestly, although the hops are huge in this beer, I didn't find it as much of a "biting, bitter, tongue bruiser" as advertised on the label. And because of that, I think the beer's flavor is all the better for it. It doesn't go way over the top with hops, and fades nicely leaving that sweet, lingering, and somewhat bitter but refreshing aftertaste.

M: Well carbonated for a creamy and silky mouthfeel. A nice body to this that makes it enjoyably thick.

D: Due to the well-managed hop presence, this one can easily be enjoyed in succession, I think.. especially for any hop-heads out there. Also, the refreshing aspect keeps you wanting more, as it won't blow you out of the frame with bitterness, despite its 106 IBU rating.

05-23-2007 01:07:56 | More by CharlieMopps
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.