Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 2,167
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros

4.82/5  rDev +7.3%

I had this on-tap last month and it was extremely good. The bottled version doesn't disappoint either:

A - pours from the bottle into my snifter a subdued orange color with half a finger of white head. The head recedes leaving a nice ring of bubbles and foam in the glass. 4

S - Huge citrus hops, piney hops, honey, bready malt. Did I say HOPS? 4.5

T - Follows the nose, but is even more refined. Incredible balance. Citrus hops upfront, followed by a faint sweetness from the honey and a nice malt backbone. Like a fine wine it should be savored, but that is hard because it is so easy to drink. One review simply called it 'God-juice' and I cannot disagree. 5

M - Incredibly smooth. Alcohol cannot be detected. Perfect carbonation. I just want to drink more and more of it. 5

O - I have officially been HopSlammed. I only wish it was more available - I now see why this beer has a religious cult type of following. Best DIPA I've had so far. Now if I could just find Pliney... 5

4.6/5  rDev +2.4%

12oz cold bottle dated 1/26/12 poured into a chilled Duvel Tulip glass.

A: Pours a dark orange color with a small head and lasting lacing that hugs the glass.

S: Very tropical as hints of pineapple, mango and grapefruit hit the nose immediately upon opening the bottle. Slight traces of pine and of course the Honey which offsets the tropical notes perfectly.

T: Citrus and pine ring of the palate and then the malt backbone kicks in offset by the wonderful honey flavor.

M: Has that classic oily resinous mouthfeel much like Odell's Myrcenary has. Medium bodied and good carbonation.

O: Definitely a top 5 DIPA and a pleasure to drink every Jan/Feb.

4.25/5  rDev -5.3%

4.39/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 1/9/12

A: Pours copper with a thin white head.

S: Lots of hops. Grapefruit is the strongest with hints of grass, pine, and citrus.

T: Not surprisingly, very hoppy. Grapefruit is first followed by some citrus and piney hops. Finish has a bit of maly sweetness.

M: Medium and a bit oily with medium carbonation.

O: Very good beer. The hops are fresh and flavorful. This is one I'll get again.

4.59/5  rDev +2.2%

12oz bottle into an oversized wine glass

Ap- pours a bright amber color with a white head that goes about a 1/4 inch. Retention is decent and hugs the glass well. Excellent lacing on the glass.

Ar- one of the best smelling DIPA's I have smelled. Huge grapefruit and citrus notes mix well with some pine. The biscuity malts balance this one out nicely. The honey comes through in the nose too.

T- The taste not as powerful as the nose but follows it closely. Grapefruit, citrus, honey, pine and malts are balanced amazingly well.

M- a little sticky, good carbonation, medium body. For 10% the alcohol doesn't really warm the mouth that much. A great oily hop prescence is left in the mouth after the swallow.

O- Truly a great DIPA. Honestly one of the best I have had. The drinkability for 10% is astounding and the balance of flavors is amazing too. Another great one from Bell's.

4.1/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pored in Boulevard Tulip Glass, bottled 2/2/12

A - finger length in head, golden color, head quickly goes away

S - Big Citrus notes, as the head settles pine and soapy smells comes through, as it warms I am getting the fruity notes, specifically plum.

T - Clean and Hoppy, the hops give it a citrus taste, after swallowing more of the bitterness comes through. Very similar characteristics as the nose with pine coming out after swallowing. I had this out of a cask a couple weeks back and I have to say I enjoyed it much more... the cask seemed very fresh, having more fruity plum notes, as well as other great hop characteristics that made the beer seem more complex as a whole. Out of the bottle there is a very slight alcohol burn, which I don't remember from last year... probably due to the increase in honey (from what I have heard)

M - Sharp, crisp and bitter yet somehow smooth ... yum.

O - All in all... very solid, I'm being picky and thats because I really really enjoyed it out of the cask more. For $20 bucks a 6 pack kinda disappointing compared to last year but still damn good. Depending on what your tastes are, you might enjoy this 5 times more out of a cast... it literally blew my mind. If I were giving a cask review it would receive about a 4.8

4.92/5  rDev +9.6%

When I had this last year, I regarded it as the best beer I'd ever tasted. But I've had a lot of good beers in the interum, so I'm tempted to see how this holds up. OOH, the excitement!
Ummm,smells like grapefruit at the peak of ripeness. Not a hint of bitterness. There is a sticky sweetness to the nose that may be the honey. Head is less than I remembered. Taste is of grapefruit with just the right amount of sugar on it. I'm not picking up on the pineapple like I remembered. Mouthfeel has far more carbonation than the weak head would indicate. I detect discrepancies from last years batch, but still a solid, solid beer that remains a contender for best of the best.

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

My absolute FAVORITE IPA ever! The aroma has a strong grapefruit character, as does the taste, there is a nice refreshing citrus quality along with a slight pine taste and it's all topped off by a huge hoppy taste.

It also has a perfect malt background and there is no taste of alcohol even with the high ABV. Amazing. It's especially phenomenal on tap.

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.