Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 2,427
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,266 | Hads: 11,679
2.55/5  rDev -42.7%

Was really looking forward to having a "rare" Hopslam. So maybe I'm just feeling let down.

This beer seems extremely unbalanced to me. Nothing but HOPS, as the name suggests. Over the top piney flavor.

Bitter, syrupy, sticky finish.

Not impressed.

I would much rather have a SN, Nectar, DFH.

Maybe just TOO EXTREME for my taste. (333 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +11.7%

Looks great, it is brewed with honey and pours with the same color. The head is smaller than I would think, though swirling it produces more as it is consumed. Taste is .. well.. of hops foremost. Kinda sweet and fruity and the piney american hops.

Such a great brew to have it limited to once a year at limited supply. This could be epic if it were just more available.

Got this at the local beer store, and could only get my hands on THREE bottles. Guess it's better than none. (481 characters)

First time to try it today. Truly an exceptional beer!
Pours a nice orange and golden color with moderate head.
The aroma is a basket of citrusy fruits and sweet honey and handfuls of hops. It smells so damn delicious.
The beverage drinks smoothly, taste of fruit, pine, sweet honey, and hops...lots of em'
At 10% ABV, the alcohol is almost completely hidden. I could drink these all night and not be able to know I was drinking such a high gravity beer from just taste alone.
One of the best DIPA's out there. Get it if you can.
I had to travel a nice little distance to get it but it was well worth it! (606 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +7.2%

Served on tap at Al's of Hamden in Enola, PA in a tulip shaped glass .

A: A dark golden yellow color with a nice foamy head, about 2 fingers. Remained for most of the drink

S: Intense hop along with some sweet and citrusy notes. Very appealing!

T: Sweeter than I was expecting with a touch of citrus and strong apricot(?). Very fruity with only a strong bitter taste in the bottom quarter of the glass

M: Coats the mouth in almost a sticky way, but not syrupy. Leaves mouth dry and refreshed after each swallow.

D: Excellent. I had this with wings and pizza, and while it was not a perfect pairing, I would have sooner changed my food order than my beer. Aside from the high APV I would love to down 2-4 in a night. Great stuff! (735 characters)

4.27/5  rDev -4%

A: Amber-orange, with a thinner than expected head (1/3 thumb). Nice active carbonation. Light lacing from thin head.

S: Wow! Simply outstanding citrus / grapefruit heavy aroma. Could smell it all day.

T: Robust hops out of the gates, a little expected bitterness and then some balancing malty sweetness. Overall very good, might have expected more after smelling.

M: Smoother and more viscous than some other DIPA's, pretty good carbonation activity on the tongue.

Overall: Great beer - will definitely always seek out. Still have a couple left from the sixer, but understand that with a bottling date of Jan 5, and a drink date of Feb 26, it wasn't at it's freshest. Will try a fresher one next year and review again. (724 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a hazy honey color into a standard pint glass. Virtually no head to speak of. Smells similar to heaven- with mango and grass. That's the smell that comes to my mind on a Monday afternoon at 3 o'clock. Modestly rich and completed by a simple bitterness. I believe it is worth the praise it gets. Have been waiting for this for a year. Bought it at the Binny's in Bloomingdale. Is there a "5" out there? Can't say for sure. As someone used to say, "If God made anythig better than this, He kept it for himself."DL (517 characters)

4.45/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Aroma: Plenty of hops, very floral with hints of sweet honey. Very slight citrus aroma from the hops.

Appearance: Dark honey colored, slightly reddish. A thick and bubbly white head.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, clean finish with just the right amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: Great tasting beer, definitely one for fellow hopheads. Although it hits 10% ABV, there is only a slight alcohol warmth towards the end of a sip. This is certainly not a session beer, but something to be enjoyed on occasion.

Notes: Another great beer from this Kalamazoo area brewery. Although this is an extremely hoppy beer (Didn't you notice the name?), it's balanced out with the sweetness of honey to the point that non-hop lovers might even enjoy this. If you are someone who is accustomed to drinking pilsner, or any beer with the word "lite" in it and rarely stray into the world of craft beer, this is probably not for you. In fact, please don't buy it, save it for me! However if you insist on diminishing the local supply, you can find it currently at the downtown South Bend Citywide Liquors. Feel free to post a comment with other locations you have seen this! (1,148 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

This beer is 10%ABV. Golden clear honey in appearance. Served in a snifter. A hint of fruittiness in this beer but lives true to its name and is extremely hoppy - HOPSLAM. Drinks very smooth for a beer with 10%ABV. I would certainly reccomend this beer to any avid beer drinkers. (279 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -47%

Obviously a very hoppy beer. Can smell and taste the hops instantly. Opaque golden in color with a good size head. Hints of both citrus and wheat could be tasted in this beer. Very high alcohol content, but almost can't taste it due to the other strong flavors. This beer was a smooth beer to drink. I enjoy hops but this beer just had too much for me. (352 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +6.5%

Holy hell, this stuff is awesome! I had to come back and update after finishing off my 3rd six pack of this LUCIOUS beer. This is definitely into my top five favorite brews now. Spanking! good stuff!

I was almost put off by the note on the bottle telling me that this was brewed with honey, but I'm sure glad I bought the hype and tried it anyway.

The boquet is gorgeous. One of the best-smelling beers ever!

Great flavor. That honey really pairs nicely with the wicked, over-the-top hop flavor. It's subtle, but definitely there.

At 10%abv you don't need many, but at $15+/six pack that's probably a good thing. (616 characters)

First off before I go into this review I have to say <b>WOW!</b>

Poured 12 oz. bottle into stemless wine glass while at Main Street Gourmet.

Appearance: Poured a dark honey/copper color, left a 1-cm white head. Absolutely clear.

Smell: Hops right in your face! I smelled a slight grapefruit fruity smell with a lot of other citrus to it.

Taste: Again, hops in your face! I taste a lot of citrus, slight honey and a little malt.

Mouthtaste: On the back of the palate is where I get the bitterness of the hops. It was the only beer that I would drink that night, because it ruined my tastebuds for the rest of the night.

Drinkability: Very drinkable for me. Bigger the beer that better. 10% ABV hit the spot and made me hungery for more. Three of them goes into my cellar!

Notes: Had not had a good beer from Bells in a while. This was maybe redemption. (870 characters)

4.45/5  rDev 0%

Bell's Hopslam immediately brings thoughts of wildflower honey, bitter soapy hops, and the pith of an overripe clementine. Slightly medicinal tasting. Thick mouthfeel, but astringent and clean. Orange golden hue like viscous unfiltered honey; beautiful hue. Heavy body, warming. Notes of brown sugar, turmeric, molasses, whiskey on the nose. Not to be missed. If you are a fan of the Bell's brewing style, do not miss this beer. At 10%, I'm about half-way through my pint, and feeling it.

Poured into a glass on 1.24.09
Excellent lacing, retained about ¼" of head, maintained about 1/16" of an inch of head throughout the pint. Would not miss this on draft, as I'm sure it would be a knock-out.

Cheers Bell's for another amazing brew. (738 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is an amazing beer. A truly distinctive and memorable beer. My first sniff of this one will be forever etched in my mind. I don't think I have ever smelled such a wonderfully fruity, floral, tropical nose in a beer before. The character of the hop aroma in this is simply amazing. This beer truly has a "bouquet." The mouthfeel is big, full, and totally satiating. The expressions of the hops are just fascinating. So complex, so intriguing. If you are a hop head, you need to try this beer. One of the finest DIPAs you will find anywhere. (544 characters)

4.29/5  rDev -3.6%

A: Poured in to an imperial pint glass. Poured a very orange tinged clear gold, almost yellow at the bottom, darker orange at the top.
1 1/2 fingers of pillowy white to off-white head that fades over the course of 3-4 minutes and leaves an absolutely gorgeous lacing that clings voraciously to the glass. The brew seems to go from clear to slightly pale as the head recedes. Gorgeous!!!

S: Grapefruit! That's the first thing that strikes my nose, citrus, citrus and more citrus. There's some grassy, herbal and floral notes in there for sure, but the citrus hop aroma reins supreme!

T: Once again, grapefruit right off the bat, but more of a clean lemon twinge in the background. I taste hints of honey and melon. Very floral, very aromatic , the flavor sticks with you well after the last sip. The alcohol only makes itself apparent in the belly, dangerously well hidden alcohol content.

M: Not nearly as bitter as I was expecting from a DIPA, but still enough to leave my tastebuds screaming. Medium bodied, albeit a little watery. A very very light amount of carbonation rounds it out and leaves me feeling refreshed.

D: If it wasn't for the alcohol content and the bitterness, I think I could sit down and drink 10 of these. The aroma and flavor are incredible, and completely new to me as a beer drinker. I will gladly crack open another... after about an hour. It's not nearly as bitter as you would think, but it's enough to make you think twice about having a second one too quickly.

Notes: I have to say I'm mildly disappointed regarding the price tag. If this were available more often, and at maybe 10-12 dollars for a 6-pack, I would drink it all the time. Sadly, this is not the case.

A rockin DIPA, but a little over hyped if you ask me. (1,759 characters)

4.19/5  rDev -5.8%

Thanks to my man Mark for giving me a second to try, much obliged.

Poured from a bottle to pint glass releasing 1 inch of white head which sank to a very thin but persistent layer. Very light amber somewhere between gold and orange color with a suprising level of clarity for such a hopped up beer.

The aroma is very vibrant citrus, then a more herbal undertone.

Taste is fairly sweet upfront, but I was expecting it this time, so not as overpowering. Moves into a bit of fruityness, then finishes with a fiarly clean pithy citrus bitterness (Kumquats anyone?). The bitterness lingers, quite a while.

Mouth feel is average, possibly a tad thin, but nothing to really detract.

This is an incredibly drinkable beer for being 10%. Once I got used to the honey sweetness it really has a nice balance that I can see why people are fond of it. (842 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A: a two finger head is poured with a rocky and creamy texture. the color is a cloudy gold that looks god damn delicious. heavy lacing coats all sides of the glass.

S: this brew is in your face with bold spicey and citric hops. a faint note of honey and malt.

T: up front is a slight sweet honey flavor that is surrounded by earthy and spice tones. the end finishes with a spicy bitterness that plays well with a honey note. it doesn't get much better than this.

M: this is light and creamy. it coats your mouth and works so well

D: this is so sessionable it is scary. i want this all day every day. (607 characters)

4.35/5  rDev -2.2%

A: Good, what I expect from a double IPA, dark golden color, some lacing down the side

S: Sweet hoppyness, some malts, and with a little alcohol backdrop, a little thin for a double IPA

T: My favorite part of Hopslam is the taste. Initial hoppy flavor followed by some rounded malty sweetness with the hops never too far away. The taste ends in a dry hoppy flavor that continues to linger long after your last sip.

M: Medium/thick body with oily mouthfeel that sticks tounge and cheeks. Very nice.

D: For a 10 % abv brew, very well balanced and drinkable. Overall a very nice brew. (586 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle in to a pint glass. It was a nice golden color with a 1" or so white head that dissipates in a minute or so. Slightly cloudy, mainly clear. The lacing continues down my glass pretty well.

The smell is that of grapefruit and orange and woodsy. It's just awesome.

A nice sweet and bitter taste. Just a touch of the 10% ABV comes through at the end.

It has a nice creamy feel in my mouth.

The 10% ABV makes it such that one or two is enough for an evening. But I could drink those one or two every evening if the wallet would allow. It really is a good beer. Sadly, only a six pack for me. (611 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +10.6%

This is what got me started on DIPA's/IPA's. I still have several 2011 cases, kept cool and the quality has not gone down, it still tastes wonderfully fresh, though I do have one or two daily.

A: Golden in the glass with a medium white head and good lacing.

S: The ultimate!! As soon as you pop the cap off the bottle, the air all around you fills with that wonderful citrus/hop aroma!!

T: As wonderful as it smells!! Grapefruit, orange, mango is all there, slightly sweet with the honey in the background. The hop-bitterness is well hidden by the honey. The finish is, well, amazing!! VERY smooth, leaving no residual hops on the back of the tongue. The high 10% ABV is well hidden in this beer.

M: Very nice, slightly creamy, very smooth, medium carbonation.

Overall: Along with PtE, this is my favorite hop-bomb of all. I would like to see HopSlam become a fully available all-year beer. (895 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -7.4%

This is an extremely powerful and potent beer that is also highly enjoyable. One of the craziest beers I've ever experienced. Great hop taste and balance. High alcohol content isn't extremely noticeable while drinking. It's unique and highly flavorful. Definitely recommend it. (277 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -8.3%

Tasted side by side with Heady Topper...yeah, my life is hard.

Appearance is a deep golden orange, with a nice fluffy white head that disappears quickly enough. Left with some good visible carbonation and a nice lace of white head.

Smells, shockingly, like hops. Pine is right there. There is NO DOUBT what this beer is: a HUGE IPA. There's very little maltiness in the smell...you get hops, hops, and more hops. A slam of hops, if you will. (Do I detect a slight green onion kind of smell?)

Tastes incredible. This is what an IPA should be. Sharp, sharp hops. Much bigger bitter aftertaste than Heady Topper, it leaves you wanting more and more! There's not much in the way of sweet malty balance. For a 10% ABV IPA, I'd expect this to be much sweeter. Nope, it's a hop SLAM.

Mouthfeel is the best part of this beer. It has perfect carbonation and goes down easy. This is scary drinkable. Love it. It tastes amazing.

Overall, I love this beer. It's not as good as Heady Topper - it's more one or two note than the symphony of Heady. But this is a very good beer. I'd buy this all the time if it was available here in Vermont.

Cheers!

Note: I could not detect any honey whatsoever. (1,189 characters)

What can I say about, Hopslam that hasn't been said before? This beer is amazing!!! I've tried; 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014 & I must say that 2014 is the best! It has a huge mouth feel without all the bitterness. The hops are huge, the citrus flavor is there & it's a huge DIPA!!! I LOVE the Oracle but Hopslam is hands down one of, if not the BEST DIPA's out there!!! (364 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

Don't pass this up if you see it on tap; I bet it'd be amazing...

Appearance - Very interesting color. Looks golden, like dark honey, with a bit of cloudiness. Nice head, lots of tiny bubbles, very active and fades quickly. Very pretty lace remains.

Smell - HOLY CRAP. Smell is out of this world. Fruit and honey and happiness. The hop smell is there but not overly powerful. I'd wear this as cologne.

Taste - Cries out to be paired with food; very cleansing and bite-y. Order this and some hotwings and you'll be in heaven. The honey is impressively balanced; it adds to the taste instead of just making the brew taste like honey. It seems to me like it mutes the hops a bit. I'm not sure what the IBU is on this but I suspect it's a lot higher than it seems.

Mouthfeel - Good. Clean without being dry. Nice amount of carbonation; it works very well for this beer.

Overall - I'm impressed with the craftsmanship shown here. You'll drink this beer way too fast. You won't want to sip it and appreciate the great balancing act Bell's has put before you. But hey, go ahead. Sip the next one.

Yay beer! (1,110 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: large head-more than 1 inch (closer to 2), copper/amber, orange golden color, nice lacing after a few drinks

Smell: floral aromas, honey, sweet, light hints of hops

Taste: herbal, lemon, honey, not overwhelmingly sweet, hints of hops, but not very bitter

Mouthfeel: medium/moderate carbonation--you can feel the fizz, but not too heavy not too light--well balanced

Overall: Refreshing! Really enjoyable flavors with great balance, one of Bell's better options, very complex, one of the better IPA's (514 characters)

A: Golden Color with a medium white head
S: Honey, Hops, and Sweet malt dominate the smell
T: Sweet honey with malts in the front of the palate, finishing with a bitter pine/grapefruit taste
M: medium body with low carbonation
O: not quite the "hop bomb" I wanted it to be, but still very good (294 characters)

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.