Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 2,167
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev -5.3%

4.08/5  rDev -9.1%

Would love to try this one again. The bottle I had shared from was well past its prime and the hops had definitely faded. Honey was still present and was balanced well.

4.25/5  rDev -5.3%

4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

Batch 9502 Bottled 1/5/10

A-Pours a clear gold color, maybe a bit of an orangeish hue as well. Billowy white head that hangs around for a bit and leaves some decent lacing.

S-Wow! Citrus hops, pine resin, floral hops, pears, oranges. Its almost sensory overload. This could be the most aromatic beer I've reviewed.

T-Hoppy with a piney, spicy lead off and middle with a citrusy finish. A bit of bready, malty sweetness comes in about halfway through. Very good.

M-Sticky, medium body, stinging bite, oily and resinous.

D-This is dangerously drinkable. I could easily consume 3-4 of these back to back.

Glad I finally got to try this one. It really is an excellent DIPA.

4.85/5  rDev +8%

Batch number 10115

No doubt this is the freshest beer I've had in a bottle.

a: Beautiful golden hue. Appearance gives the notion of serenity within.

s: Along with the hops, a bouquet of citrus and honey

t/m: Hop bliss. Very nice bitterness. Smooth and creamy mouthfeel.

d: Insanely drinkable considering the ABV. Damn the ABV, give me another!

Nectar of the hop gods. If I were to run a marathon, this is what I'd want to sip at the finish line. Pheidippides would have been wise to do the same.

4.65/5  rDev +3.6%

Got this one kind of magically. A little elf told me of a store where it existed in SoCal. So even though it's not super-fresh, I'm super-amped.

Appearance - A nice deep copper color. About an inch of soapy off-white head. Great lacing.

Smell - Oooh! Nice citrus hops right up front. Lots of grapefruit, and even some mango. Real nice citrus. Maybe apricot? A tiny hint of caramel malt on the back, but just a hint. Can only imagine the punch when fresh.

Taste - Wow. Hot damn. That is some good shit. Lots of nice citrus up front. The apricot/mango really comes with it. Pineapple? Yes, pineapple. I think I can pick up on the honey. It's pretty sweet, but bitterness of the hops really mellow it out. Not much malt (a good thing in my book). No hint of the booze. Just incredibly well balanced. The taste lingers hauntingly.

Mouthfeel - Very nice. A little thin perhaps. I was expecting a little more thickness and syrup.

Drinkability - Very good. It's a little on the sweet side, but that hop bitter balances it well. The high abv is absolutely nowhere to be seen. It would be very easy to get into trouble with these.

Wow. That was an absolutely fantastic beer. It's only the second DIPA the lady-friend has ever really liked. The first? Pliny the Younger. So it's in extremely rare company. I'm only upset that I don't know when I'll get to have another. I will find a way to get a fresh one next year, that's for sures.

4.82/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

-Bottle date 1/23/13 -

Hopslam's appearance mirrors the sheen of untouched copper... and after looking upon it in my snifter, it now resembles pure honey, with an almost imperceptible haziness, and a fizzyness that quickly wanes to a thin ring of white around the perimeter of the glass. The aroma is enough to make me salivate! Contained within each whiff are the essences of clementines, zesty lemons, juicy red grapefruit, pungent resinous oils, wild honey and sap. Scents of boardwalk shop sweets and flower garden bouquets enter my imagination. The hop's bitterness and floral aspects court my tastebuds equally, then a second later, a super-sweet tingle of honey and pollen appears on the tip of my tongue, as if it were a finale. The brew gracefully coats the inside of the mouth, and it's warming on the way down. Very smooth and velvety... Despite the high ABV and dry finish, it is the antithesis of harsh, for sure. A mimicry of other popular DIPAs, this is certainly not. To say that each sip leaves me wanting more is an understatement... rather, I find myself unable to believe this otherworldly elixir is really in my grasp! I'd imagine this is what the great god Pan drank in the unspoiled wilderness of Arcadia!

4.08/5  rDev -9.1%

poured from bottle into a tulip. Pours a solid orange color with a nice and small head

Rich and aromatic with aromas of hops, pine resin, citrus aromas with some spice

Excellent feel with good flavors, but there is a slight bit of booziness on the end. Very good flavors of hops, pine resin, citrus and booze flavors on the back end

This is what I'd more expect from a hopslam. I had an "aged" one from tap a few months back and it was very boozy. this one is very fresh (12/29/11) and tastes like i would expect.

When it Bells it pours..I went from dreaming about Bells beers to having 8 of there beers in a months time.Lets see how HopSlam holds up.

Great looking orange body with a white head that fell pretty fast.Alot of bubbles streaming to the top of the glass.

Alot of citrusy and pine smells in there.Like grapefruit and pineapple.

The taste is pineappley but toned down.I would have expected more of a hop bite from the name of the beer.

The mouthful is syrpy and thick but very good and sweet.

I would have liked more hops but we cant have what we want everytime.While this beer isnt as hoppy as some of the double ipa monsters.It is tasty and worth checking out.I plan on having it again.Good job Bells!

4.32/5  rDev -3.8%

I had high expectations, as I love Bells two hearted...

Citrus, and grapefruit with strong underlying hop characteristics. Alcohol Is present in the finish but not overwhelming. This beer lives up to expectation.

It pours a golden amber and has decent head retention.

Floral hoppy character on the nose, with some spice coming through as well.

Overall this is a great buy, try it now!

4.42/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a snifter.

My first Hopslam experience. I'm sure Hopslam has been overhyped a touch, but I'm looking forward to drinking and reviewing this beer.

Beer pours a brilliant, but hazy dark golden amber with a very thin white head that did not recede to much lacing. The aroma is incredibly hoppy. It's piney and resinous, there is almost a locker room type of mustiness to it which actually smells really, really good.

The taste is aggressively hoppy, but not overly bitter. The hops are well balanced by the malt and I think the touch of honey the beer is brewed with. I love the piney, citrusy taste. It's smooth and delicious without being overpowering. It might be the best tasting and most balanced "hop bomb" I've ever had.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and the light level of carbonation works really well. The drinkability is incredible. The alcohol is hidden so well, it makes Hopslam a very dangerous (and very delicious) beer.

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.