Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 2,496
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,269 | Hads: 11,752
4.5/5  rDev +1.1%

A: Transparent and effervescent, this beer is mostly yellow with hints of orange, reminiscent of a sunrise. There is a moderate level of head and lacing.

S: Big aromas of floral, tart citrus, pine.

T: Refreshing, smooth, delicious. This is one of the best DIPA I have had. I look forward to Hopslam every year. Much more hoppy than malty, this beer is for the hop lover, which I am. Beautifully done with delicious grapefruit and subtle resinous pine flavors, Hopslam finishes with a lingering bitter aftertaste that makes my mouth tingle and yearn for more. Where is the 10% ABV?!? This is a seriously dangerous beverage.

M: Carbonation level is great and it's really smooth, with no astringency.

D: Do I really have to wait until next February to get more fresh Hopslam?

4.74/5  rDev +6.5%

It's finally Hopslam release month, and it's time to review this beast. Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my Dogfish snifter. Poured amber, slightly gold in color with a thin white layer covering the top. It laced nicely on the sides of the glass as I drank it,.

Aroma is sweet and hoppy. It's very sweet smelling presumably from the honey and the hops are very citrusy with some grapefruit and orange. Really, a blast of sweet hoppiness is a great way to describe the aroma from this beer.

Taste is a lot like the nose, very sweet and hoppy. The hops give it a nice floral citrusness with some grapefruit, orange and a little pine flavor. The sweetness definitely sets this apart from a lot of DIPA's. The bitterness is pretty mild for all the hops in it.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is very good, especially for the abv%. it's very good tasting and easy drinking. I could drink this all year long if they made it.

Overall this deserves to be one of the top rated DIPA's in the world. An awesome beer that I'm glad I have about 14 left of.

4.42/5  rDev -0.7%

The beer pours a nice golden color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is great! It has a huge bitter hop bite with a dry, honey driven aroma. The taste is great! It's pretty light actually. I think the honey lends the high abv. without the mouthfeel. It's damn hoppy with a nice pale malt flavor. The mouthfeel is good. It's a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a very good beer. I've been waiting years to try it. It definitely didn't disappoint.

4.32/5  rDev -2.9%

Thanks to exiled for sharing this bottle.

Pours golden with a large white head. The aroma is fruity, with peaches, mango and oranges. The flavor is fruity as well, with the above fruits as well as grapefruit and some pine. A very complex flavor. Medium bitterness, medium mouthfeel and low carbonation.

3.86/5  rDev -13.3%

Oh damn, any regrets that I may have had in not going to Philly for the fest at the shipyard evaporated when I saw this on the table yesterday (Central PA Bottle Share, Sa, 05 Mar 2011). As the late Mickey Spillane would have said, "I creamed my jeans"! I was so cowed by its presence that I had to ask ffejherb for permission to open it, to which he enthusiastically assented. I had to read the directions, because if I screwed the pooch, I would be a pariah and it was so early on. The big Q for me was the initial venting, but I remembered the pull, twist and pour from my Best Brown in the Fall.

I got a finger-and-a-half of soapy ecru head with decent retention off of my pour. Color was a solid amber with NE-quality clarity. BUPGOO! Yeah, give this to the kiddies. Nose was so piney that I began to swoon. It was, in my addled mind, like licking a pine tree. Mouthfeel was medium and the hops had already begun to mute, so the taste was heavier on caramel malt, but I still got some hops on the tongue. The finish was likewise caramel-like initially, but lingering with hops. Dang, but I would like to try this absolutely fresh! No matter, I CAN now die h(a/o)ppy, having had some. Did I mention the excellent lacing throughout? Glug!

4.45/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a three finger cream light brown head off the pour into a pint glass. Very good retention off the pour and very foamy. Some faint cloudiness but not much, with a nice golden dark brown color body. This is a decent looking beer.

Smell is a big but enjoyable surprise. It's all aromatic hops, but extremely grassy, like a fresh cut lawn. Big inhales really bring this out and you get almost a chlorophyll buzz going. Honey doesn't come out first on the nose until after you taste it.

Taste is a big surprise. Sweet front but not syrupy, of honey first, then a giant hop play in the mouth, with a bit of a tangerine finish. Mouthfeel is a little dry, with a rooftop palate dryness. The honey addition to this really balances out the bitterness and distinctly improves the beer. Feels carbonated to some extent but it isn't as if something is playing in your mouth with tingles or gas. I think if it didn't have the honey this would not be as good. Also the ABV on this for 10% is well hidden and you can't even notice it.

A well done tasting beer that doesn't taste like a gimmick or a stunt. Well done.

Appearance: amber orangewith a slight white head and lot's of lacing.

Smell: Lot's of hops and pine trees..

Taste: floral with hops and malt.

Mouthfeel: smooth bodied.

Drinkability: I was saving this for the Steeler's Superbowl win but alas it was not meant to happen. Very drinkable and world watch out I'm rady to drink more than one.

4.42/5  rDev -0.7%

12 ouncer, no freshness indication, this was over $15 for a sixer, near Ann Arbor, MI. Pours cloudy orangy/apricot, near white head, that leaves nice, scattered and spotty lacing. Big and bold citrusy/resiny hop nose. Thick, chewy and smooth. Fine, fine stuff, god I love a world class DIPA like this one. Everything is in place here, nice job by Bells. Lots of citrus and hoppy goodness. Smooth and perhaps a bit more accessable and drinkable then the Stone 10th offering.

4.47/5  rDev +0.4%

Appearance: dark orange in color with a 1" head. Mild lacing develops during the session.

Smell: huge bitterness and citrus tones leap from the glass into the nose.

Taste: nice malt base with a huge bitterness blanket wrapped around it. Grapefruits and oranges are throughout, oh and did I mention some strong bitterness ? Some alcohol tones are well hidden but warming. Despite the big IBUs for this beer it is well balanced.

Mouthfeel: medium-heavy in body. Lightly crisp at the start and smoother and dry towards th finish. Super long aftertaste as the bitterness lingers in the mouth forever after swallowing.

Drinkability: well balanced and very drinkable. No means is this a session beer, but you can easily enjoy more than one. Definite hophead beer.

4.32/5  rDev -2.9%

12oz fresh bottle into the flying fish brewing glass. I wanted to dive right into this one and not waste any time or hops.

A- Bells Hopslam comes out of the bottle a light tan color and settles into the glass with a impressive medium orange with gold & bronze highlights. It appears very transparent and upon a closer view small microdots of sediment are seen floating throughout. The one inch deep white head was impressive and creamy causing much foam & dense lacing.

S- Is out of the world piney and citrusy hops up front with honey and a slightly bittering charm. Grapefruit smells explode into the nostrils as well as grassy scents. A pleasure to smell for some time to allow some warming.

T- Hops on top of hops and so forth giving off some floral aspects. Picking up a nice amount of the honey used in this as well. This beer lives up to it's name. Some malts to combine with that honey. As with many DIPA's the grapefruits, mangos and other fruits are also leading the pack. Hopslam gets a bit sweeter with time resulting in more honey. This beer deserves all the accolades it gets.

M- This goes down smooth throughout the 12oz and finishes on the dry side.The honey helps the slight lack of malt to help offset the hops without drowning them. A bit of a slick oily presence to it. Very drinkable at 10% & a hop profile this huge. Alcohol is a non-factor in this case. Medium bodied with good carbonation ad every sip is an eye-opener.

D- I would go through a few of these before it caught up with me but it would be a beautiful ride. A bit on the pricey side but what isn't these days. I would love to drink this occasionally throughout the year but that's impossible without the hops fading after 6 months. Perhaps brewing this twice a year would be a solution.

One of the top tier double IPA's in my eyes.

4.12/5  rDev -7.4%

12 oz. bottle poured into an Alchemist pint glass. Bottled on 1/26/2012. Just picked it up today.

Appearance - Orange amber body. Quite clear. Not much of a head, but it sticks nicely to the glass and leaves some wisps on the surface.

Smell - Wow, it's got a great hop aroma. Up there with the best of em. Citrusy from a distance (literally, from a few feet away), but it's got a dose of pine as I smell it more. Great aroma. Some sweetness comes through, but it's still all about the hops.

Taste - The hop flavor delivers in the front. It's a huge wave of hops that recedes as dramatically as it hits. The citrus gives way to pine, much in the way of the aroma, which gives way to a hefty malt and honey sweetness. Not cloying and not even all that sweet, but it's amazing how much the hops disappear. It still tastes pretty damn good, but not like the best IPAs out there. The finish is boozy and slightly bitter.

Mouthfeel - After the hops drop off, the booze is pretty evident. There's an astringency presumably from the fermented honey. It's not really bitter, either, but still the bitterness is one of the only flavors that lingers.

Overall - I used to think this beer was the bee's knees of IPAs, but having had far more interesting hop profile IPAs, this one hasn't quite risen to its lofty heights as of late. Definitely not one of those "It was better last year" people, but I feel my appreciation for it has changed.

4.2/5  rDev -5.6%

Bottled October 2006, Sampled December 2006
Pours with a touch of yeast dustiness, but the beer is a lightly reddish hued, amber to copper color. It is topped by a frothy, almost two-finger thick, light tan colored head. The aroma is certainly quite hoppy; it is a mix of citrus, pine and even a more dank hop note similar to onions or perhaps even garlic. The hop aromatics are certainly an interesting mix. The predominant character is that of audaciously vibrant sweet citrus and exotic fruit aromas; notes of apricots, lychee, pineapple, candied orange peel, concentrated ruby-red-grapefruit, and other tropical fruit notes make up the dominant notes. Behind the upfront hop fruit though is a touch of more raw hop character; hints of pine, menthol and that onion-like almost garlic character lurk in the back ground, just enough to add a hint of complexity. Where is the malt? I couldn't tell you underneath all of the hops.

The taste is sweet with the fruity hop notes, in fact the sweet fruitiness just sticks around clinging to the palate even after the beer has left my mouth. The hop fruit notes are much the same as I noticed in the aroma, but here there is a touch of biting bitterness to add a touch of balance. You know it is a hop focused beer, when you need hop bitterness to balance other hop derived notes. The malt is buried here, playing only a supporting role, there is certainly enough malt to not allow the hops to be dominating and raw, but definitely not enough more my hop flagellated taste buds to notice. It has just enough mouthfeel / palate coating ability to help the dominant hop character along; I wouldn't say that this was a beer you wanted to pound, but it is dangerously quaffable.

The hop character here is so smooth & even soft (despite being amped up and loud overall); the brewer definitely took a heavy handed approach with smooth fruity hops like Simcoe and Amarillo when brewing this beer. The flavor does not have much, if anything, noticeable of the onion / garlic note that I experienced in the aroma, though perhaps there is a touch of it in the finish. Really the finish is dominated by a smooth, lingering bitterness that perhaps takes on a touch of mentholated pine. I really am a sucker for these smoothly fruity, over the top, one dimensional hop bombs. This is quite bitter, though I don't necessarily realize it most of the time. This is totally only comprises one dimension of the usual three that a beer can have (hop, malt and yeast), but it is so enjoyable in its expression of the hop.

4.33/5  rDev -2.7%

Received via trade with buckeyenation.
Nice hazy dark yellow body, huge white head. I can smell the citrus already. This is gonna wallop (er, slam)
Taste isn't as big as I thought it would be, but that's a good thing. Smooth transition from citrus, to pine, to a bit of sweetness, to dry and crisp. The citrus is mostly pomelo, some lemon and grapefruit, a bit of orange perhaps. This slam isn't as menacing as it seems. Unlike the DFH 120, this one is plenty drinkable.
I like this brew, I hope I can find it out here.

4.09/5  rDev -8.1%

Packaged on 1/11/2011 enjoyed on 2/12/2011, thanks to mixylplik3 for sharing this with me.
Pours a slightly cloudy deep golden amber color with a thinnish white head that dissipates too quickly. Smells of pine resin and citrus up front. Hints of sweet fruit, grass and honey lie deep underneath the resinous onslaught. Taste is sweeter than the aroma leads you to believe. There's a solid malt backbone here with a sweet honey taste that drives this brew. Pine, citrus and tropical fruits add to a spicy/herbal taste in the fairy sweet finish. Medium body and carbonation level, sweet less than syrupy mouthfeel. I've sampled a couple of IPA's tonight and this one is the sweetest. Very flavorful, very tasty, Matt should get me some more.

4.12/5  rDev -7.4%

On-tap at the Blue Nile. Served in a 12 oz goblet.

106 IBUs? Where? Don't get me wrong, there were some amazing aspects to this beer, but bitter it wasn't. This beer was very reminiscent of grapefruit juice. There was some good complexity in the hops flavor, but it was overly juicy to the point of getting away from beer. This made for an amazing aroma, but the taste couldn't quite deliver all the way.

Although the taste didn't exactly do it for me, I was impressed by how drinkable the 9.3% was. The bitterness, or lack of, kind of let me down, but this was still a pretty good DIPA. Worth a try at the least.

4.53/5  rDev +1.8%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a light orange, with a medium white head with good retention and lacing.

S: Smells very hoppy, citrus mostly, the honey is evident adding some sugar sweetness.

T: Great flavour, the honey and then hops work really well together. Great light citrus, white grapefuit pith and orange oil, with honey sweetness, giving the counter to the hop bitterness a mead-like quality, just really good stuff.

M: Smooth, full-bodied, great carbonation feel, slightly oily.

D: A really good beer, I'm glad I finally got to try it. The honey really takes over the malt character and makes it light enough that the great hop flavour really shines through. Now I know why all the East coasters are psyched out of their minds about this beer.

4.37/5  rDev -1.8%

12 oz 2008 bottle poured into a Duvel tulip, batch #8277, labeled as 10 % ABV

A: Very nice. Cloudy golden amber color. Very large, tight off white head with nice retention and lacing.
S: Very strong, fresh floral/piney, grapefruity smell. Slight touch of sweetness, perhaps the honey the bottle mentions.
T: Sweeter than I expect for a DIPA and I like it. Starts with sweet honey/grapefruit flavor and then hops take over and give it a nice dry, tart taste. Perhaps there could be more of a malt presence for balance, otherwise no complaints.
M: Medium bodied, some sips I think it might be bordering on being slightly thin however. Nice amount of carbonation and a very pleasant, dry, tart aftertaste.
D: For 10% abv did not taste any alcohol but certainly felt it as I drank the bottle. I may have served this a little too cool at first as the flavors became much stronger as the beer warmed (and became more enjoyable).

When I consider every aspect of this beer separately, they are all great but in the end I'm left feeling like it all doesn't quite add up for me and I can't place what it is. Somewhere in the finish and aftertaste I'm left with a thin/watery feeling that I can't place, hence the lower drinkability score. I'd love to try this on tap after my experience of liking two-hearted much better on tap than bottled

4.2/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured into a pint glass. Clear orange with a nice head and wonderful lace.
Fruity hop boquet in the nose, some sweetness pulling through.
The flavor is hops, juicy and big. Pineapple, citrus, pear, mead and malt all gather and dance on the palate. No alcohal bite until the very end. Sharp hop flavor but well done.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied and semi-smooth.
Drinkability is dangerous, since this beer drinks so easily, yet is so powerful and flavorful. Reccommended if you are into alot of hop flavor.

4.69/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bottle into a shaker pint, the beer is a bright, slightly hazed, copper-gold coloring with a slow flow of carbonation and a frothy, low profile, bright white head that clings all over the glass, and slowly settles into a filmy surface coating as you drink. Aromas of deep, rich, bitter, resinous hops all over the nose, with a subtle sweet caramel backbone, and a blend of tropical fruits that include pineapple, mango, and grapefruit. Very balanced and very rich nose. Flavors are tropical fruit forward, rich and sweet, with a blast of citrus tart and bitter to follow. That's a lot of fruit on the palate all at once, but it is perfectly balanced by the pungent, dank, piney and grassy backbone, rich in resinous characteristics. This goes from fruity to forest green in a flash. Wow. All through this, there is a subtle sweetness of caramel darting in and out. Great tasting brew. The aftertaste has some pepper spicing and stronger floral notes, but it's still all hops. Smooth and robust in mouth, leading to a smooth, clean, slightly drying finish. This is amazing.

4.47/5  rDev +0.4%

Thanks to Hayesez.
A nice coppery color, decent lacing and a bit of a head to the beer.

Smells overwhelmingly of hops and more hops. Then pine and citrus follow.

The taste is well shockingly not overly hoppy. It has a nice balance of straight hops, crisp pine and just a hint of grapefruit at the end. Disappears nicely making you want to have another sip right away.

It has a slight carbonation to it. A dry aftertaste is left after a bit if you don't have more.

I could have a few of these which is saying a lot since i don't usually enjoy IPA's of any sorts. This however is an exceptional IPA no matter how you look at it.

4.77/5  rDev +7.2%

Bottle courtesy of TheSevenDuffs, via peensteen. Thanks again guys, blew my mind that I'd have the chance to sample this. Served in a pint glass, Batch 10093 (just over 2 weeks old).

Poured a clear golden yellow, with a finger and a bit of off-white head, light retention and solid lace. Nose holds a shit-ton of honey, pine and citrus in the forms of orange, tangerine and mango among others. Yowzers, mouth watering indeed. Taste follows suit, with the honey sweetness leading the onslaught, with the citrus involved being similar to that of the nose. Warming feel and great interplay between the strong bitterness and honey sweetness. Great mouthfeel, and if anything, maybe a touch more bitterness would put this over the edge for me. Drinkability should be a 15/5, likely one of the most dangerous beverages I've ever encountered. Lives up to the hype.

4.85/5  rDev +9%

Thanks to theformula for this elixir. Let me say that I've been looking forward to this for a while since I love DIPAs and I love Bell's. This didn't disapoint. I traded for a sixpack of this and of Nugget Nectar, and while the Nectar was good I thought this blew it away. So friggin' delicious that I almost sucked the first on straight down.

Pours amber with a thin head but a constant stream of tiny bubbles. I'm not worried about a big head for a strong beer like this, I'm more concerned about what the beer tastes like and how fresh it is. This is one fresh beer! The smell is surprisingly malty and a tad sweet with big citrusy hops following. The taste is amazing! Delicious blend of citrusy and piney hops with a spicy oiliness that coats the tongue and has a flavor almost of cinnamon in its intensity. More pine, grapefruit, and orange follow. The sweet malt and honey play a supporting role that beautifully props up the hops, and there is almost a peach flavor at the end that makes me want to guzzle the beer. Great body, balance, and finish. I know this is 9.3% abv, but you can't tell. Something about this beer makes me want another and nothing else as soon as I finish the first, Uber delicious and almost addictive.

4.45/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Sampled through the kindness of WeisGuy.

This is a clear apple juice colored ale with a decent white head despite the alcohol level.

Smell is strong and wild hop fist to the nose. Lots of sweetness and pineapple and pine in the aroma. This is quite spicy smelling with a lot of citrus and just plain fresh hop leaf aroma to it.

The taste begins strong and very hoppy with a strong melon flavor. Quite spicy and strong the strong melon taste hangs around. Lots of floral flavors in the aftertaste here it is almost perfumed. Through out this is a Super IPA that does not become harsh at all.

Mouthfeel is good.

Highly drinkable for the hopheads of the world. Very strongly hopped but very tasty. In the same class as Pliny The Younger and Dreadnaught.

4.62/5  rDev +3.8%

Delicious! That is really all I need to say about this beer. This was the beer that got me hooked on imperial IPA’s. You can smell the hops as you pour. Pours amber/orane in color with a whitish head. Some alcohol flavor is present. Not overly bitter. Very smooth on the palate. Just amazing.

A: poured an amber brown in color with pale yellow highlights and a nice half finger of head that left some good bubbly lacing sticking to the glass.

S: kinda dissapointed on the aroma due to lots of malty sweetness upfront, the honey is apparent, with signs of green citrusy hops, a little of the grains coming through and hints of earthy grass.

T: once again the malty sweetness character was also leading the way on the palate alongside grassy earhty notes, very mild hop profile with citrusy grapefruit, honey accents, and flavor of variety of grains in the background.

M: the brew was medium in body with a good amount of carbonation which had a sweet, malty, grassy, mildly hoppy very slight bitter and crisp finish.

O: honestly don't know what all the hype is about this beer cause it's just an average DIPA and mild all around at that. It could be it's a week too old but I highly doubt it would change that much in a week. I guess I better stick to my west coast hop bombs.

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.