Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 2,259
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros

4.67/5  rDev +4%

Poured from bottle into a tuliped Goose Island pint glass.

Appearance- Dark orange color. Exactly one finger of paper white head. Very consistant lacing.

Smell- Grapefruit and orange right away. That is followed by hops and strawberries. What a great smelling IPA.

Taste- AMAZING! This is on par with White Rajah and 90 Minute. Similiar to the nose, but add more hops and pine.

Mouthfeel- Thick for an IPA. There are so many great flavors for your mouth to digest, but I'm up to it.

Overall- What a quality beer. Bell's is famous for making highly drinkable beers, but this one is on a different level. I can see why stores sell out of this in a day or two. A MUST try.

4.52/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a pint glass from a 12 oz bottle.

Appearance: I was very excited to find this at the bar we went to before dinner (very good Thai, BTW) as it wasn’t on the beer list, but the bartender mentioned they had it after telling my friend they were out of the Green Flash West Coast IPA. I couldn’t get a good look at the color as I was unable to hold it up to the light. The head was excellent as proved by the lacing, it was ravishing, lingering on the glass until the very last swallow. A lovely sight to behold.

Smell: No mistaking that this is a DIPA. More citrus aroma than pine, definitely grapefruit and lemon zest.

Taste: The ABV was sly, not in your face like you might expect from a 10% beer. The balance was remarkable for a beer called HOPslam. The hops flavor was strong and able, but not overpowering like some other DIPA’s and IPA’s.

Mouthfeel: A great beer to savor, the taste does not diminish as it warms. It settles into all the spaces and corners of your mouth just making itself at home. I liked the carbonation.

Overall: I drank this after having a Lagunitas Sucks earlier in the evening, so I think I will go back and try it again all by its lonesome. I did enjoy it immensely but it was partly influenced by the overall nice time I was having with my husband and my best friends. If I can get my hands on it again, I will give it a proper taste test.

3.5/5  rDev -22%

4.25/5  rDev -5.3%

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

4.68/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from bottle into tulip glass, gives a finger of head that settles quickly to a small cap and lots o' lacing. Gives a golden-orange glow, little carbonation. Floral grapefruit and tangerine, some sweetness (maybe the honey), malty. No hint of booziness. The wife, who hates IPAs, takes the first sips and is liking it. No piney flavor for her (what she hates) and some booze on the taste, readily apparent it's 10%.
For me, I have sweet citrus upfront, definite booze bite on the end. Warms as it goes down. Oily mouthfeel, thick and delicious.
This is my second year with Hopslam. I didn't take notes last year and I wish I did. If I remember, I'll have to come back and edit with an update to see if the experience is the same next year.
For now, I'll just say this is one of my favorite DIPAs.

4.9/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.37/5  rDev -2.7%

4.76/5  rDev +6%

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

4.45/5  rDev -0.9%

A: Pours an awesome looking amber copper orange, with a very thick 1 finger had that sustains very well, leaving sticky lacing down the inside of my glass.

S: Intensely floral hop aromas, some citrus, not as much pine as other DIPAs. Sweet, caramel malt.

T: This beer is not as much as a hopbomb as I expected, but it packs quite a wallop. It is extremely well balanced between the various hop flavors and bitterness and the sweet caramel like malt that backs up the hops. There are very complex and distinguishable layers of hop aroma, bitterness, and malt that make this beer very enjoyable to sit and sip. Lots of grapefruit and citrus flavors, with some alcohol heat at the end.

M: Smooth and syrupy, but with decent carbonation to intensify the nose. Not as viscous as most stouts, but definitely has considerable body and residual sugars.

D: Not very high, but this beer is so darn delicious. It is very thick and hoppy, I wouldn't want more than a few per sitting.

I can definitely understand why this beer is so popular. It is hoppy and has substantial bitterness, but a great malty backbone and residual sweetness to support the hops. This is one of my favorites DIPAs.

4.69/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours a dark golden color with a bright white head. Had some kind of floaties in it as well that never settled. Unbelievable smell of pineapple juice and possibly grapefruit but on the sweeter side. Initial taste of sweet pineapple taste switching to a bitterness that was less than expected. The sweetness then kinda works it's way back in. Perfect carbonation, medium-light mouthfeel. Awesome drinkability for something this potent. Possibly my favorite in this style and only wish I would have bought more when I had the chance.

4.2/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured from bottle to snifter. Serving temp was about 53F.

A: Nice golden amber with a slight haze. Very nice off-white head.
S: Intense hop aroma. Definite citrus and can also pickup the honey.
T: Intensely hoppy, but was not overpowering. Very complex with citrus flavors (pineapple and grapefruit were most prominent). Slight sweetness, honey in nature, but not too much.
M: Hops do not linger around on the tongue, very smooth, but the citrus (especially the grapefruit) add the bitterness.
D: Highly drinkable for an IPA. Very smooth and complex flavors just make me want more of it. If you have never had an IPA, I think this would be a great first.

Highly recommend.

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.