Join our email list →

Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 2,584
Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Michigan, United States | website

American Double / Imperial IPA | 10.00% ABV

Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,303 | Hads: 11,947

I was lucky enough to grab a sixer of hopslam on 1/28/16 from Crown Liquors in downtown Chicago. The beer was canned 1/21/16 and I tried my first on 1/29/16. Very smooth and balanced with sweet undertones presumably from the honey and bitter finish. Truly well constructed since I had no idea it was 10% ABV.

4.4/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz can into a snifter.

Beautiful golden hue with a half inch head that hangs around. Citrus nose, good smell. Taste doesn't quite live up to the look and smell. Decently bitter and hoppy, but seems to die pretty quickly. Nice taste, just wish it lingered longer. Feel is what I expected from an IPA.

Overall, really good, but doesn't quite live up to the price tag.

4.59/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

2016 release poured into a IPA glass. Aggressive pour which lead to about two fingers of head, but diminished quickly leaving a nice alcohol lacing. The aroma is intense sweet citrus with a slight alcohol note. Taste pretty much follows the nose with bright citrus. Perfect balance of sweetness from the malts and honey. Alcohol is definitely present on the back end along with an astringent bitterness. Overall I can see why this beer has been hyped for so long. I don't think it's the best DIPA I've ever had but it is definitely very tasty. If you haven't had this beer and have the opportunity to try it, definitely pick yourself up some.

4.78/5  rDev +7.7%

Hopslam

Smell- lovely aroma, crisp, hoppy and very floral and slight hints of pine and honey

Appearance- pours a beautiful deep golden-orange color, nice two finger foam head with lacing, looks like honey

Mouth Feel- perfectly balanced full-bodied mouth feel, goes down so smooth

Taste- starts off sweet like honey and as it goes down you get the hoppy bite, once again very well balanced

Overall- This beer has lived up to all of my expectations. Almost everything about this beer is perfect to me from the mouth feel to the taste. I will definitely be buying more of this in the future!

3.88/5  rDev -12.6%

Been drinking this since 2008 and every year I like it less and less. Back in the day there was nothing like hopslam and I loved it. The last few years it was way to booze. This year it seems rather bland to me. I don't know of it has something to do with it being in cans this year or what. It's not that is bad but there are so many other choices out there now a days that are cheaper and easier to get. I'll gladly drink the six pack I bought but those who are tring for the first time might be a little dissapointed. Way over hyped in my opinion.

4.44/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Super fruity mango pineapple a touch of honey pine bitterness at the end.
This is the first time I've ever had this beer and now I can understand the hype one of the top three best bells beers. It has a very fruity taste. Only negative I wish it was a bit more hoppy. But overall a truly great beer.

4.56/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I've been fortunate to find this beer on several occasions; even lucky enough to grab a six-pack once. It's a high-quality beer for sure. Maybe not quite worth of the hype and difficult trying to attain, but certainly a great beer. Very juicy, hop forward beer; a classic DIPA. While I wouldn't go out of my way if I was someone who still hasn't had it (you'll likely be able to stumble across one eventually) I will not shy away from picking some up each year.

4.62/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: A beautiful amber cloud, a burt orange color with a warm inviting hue.

S: Sweet and Citrus, the hops really come through with a sweet delight of honey. There is a hint of sweet grass and honeysuckle, with a splash of a summers breeze.

T: Well balanced, not too sweet but a very present honey flavor. Not too overwhelming with hops but plenty of them in there to characterize and blossom the palette.

F: Smooth, good amount of brightness with slight syrupy finish.

O: Well done beer, truly a well crafted hopped ale! There is a reason why this is on the top 100 list!

4.71/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Look:
This brew is fairly foamy with a 2 finger head poured from a 12oz bottle. This one is a hazy copper color. There is nice lacing after the head recedes.

Smell:
Very rich and caramelly smelling. Strong hop aroma here (citrus and pine). There is a slight savory/buttery scent.

Taste:
There is a powerful kick of hop bitterness at first, but not over the top. The bitterness is quickly overcome by rich, sweet, syrupy, buttery, caramel flavors!!!! The deep roasted malt flavors are very woodsy and nutty. After the sweet caramel flavors wear off, this beer fades back to a bitter hop flavor and it starts to dry off. You are left with pine and a slight smoky after taste.

Feel:
Fairly full bodied for a hoppy ale. Thicker than I expected - a bit slick and syrupy. There is a drier finish though.

Overall:
This is a very good beer. Better than anticipated. I saw that this beer has been rated in the top beers of the country, so I had to check it out. I live in Colorado, but grew up in Michigan. My only regret is that I wasn't a beer fan when I lived in Michigan so I never tried any Bells or Founders beers. I have had 4-5 beers from Bells and am very impressed. I highly recommend this brew to any hop head.

This is what got me into the IPAs and Double IPAs. My absolute favorite IPA, unfortunately, not available where I live, but I will always remember the taste and flavor! Love this brew and look forward to hunting it down and finding some more!

4.4/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle. Pours a deep honey color with a whitish foam. Smells of citrus and honey. Taste overwhelms at first with honey, which slowly gives way to hop. Mouthfeel is slightly thicker than most DIPAs. Overall, very unique for the style. Thicker and sweeter than I would have anticipated. Probably not a beer I'd line up every year to get, but a solid, fresh take on DIPAs.

4.7/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Mellow for 10%. Can taste the honey. Floral notes in smell and good hopiness. Bottled last year and uncapped today, 9-10-15. Would like to try a fresh bottle from the next batch.

4.84/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

the beer was awesome! The hoppiness was excellent and perfectly balanced. Nice floral/citra smell..much better than I expected. enjoyed till the last sip.

4.81/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a pure golden color. Has a huge floral aroma with sweet notes. Flavor is hoppy all the way through. Has a nice floral notes with a touch of maltiness and a honey backbone. Overall flavor is amazing, I can't get enough

3.98/5  rDev -10.4%

I'm trying to think of a more over hyped beer I've ever had than Hopslam. I dont get people going nuts over this beer. 99 is a joke of a rating for it. Its a sweet, boozy, thin mess.

Sorry folks. Parks closed on this one.

4.07/5  rDev -8.3%

From notes. Slightly hazy golden orange color with a thin white head that disappears quickly. Moderate aroma with nice citrus, pine and sweetness. Flavor matches with the citrus and pine resin balanced nicely by the malt body and sweetness. Not as bitter as expected. The honey was a nice subtle addition to the malt sweetness. Just a little too much alcohol coming through and breaking up the smoothness.

4.55/5  rDev +2.5%

Hopslam is a great seasonal IPA that really hits me in the IPA heart. Fragrant, juicy, and a little sweet. At 10%, it'll get the job done if that's what you're looking for. Also, this beer can be held onto for a little to see how the hops fall off and the malt takes over.

4.88/5  rDev +9.9%

This is absolutely one of my favorite beers. When people say that some beers are extraordinary, I get skeptical. How can a beer be so much different than all the beers in it's category. The answer: I have no idea but this beer does it. Every flavor that most IPA's would have this beer has it multiplied by 5. The taste has such a bite and such a fresh pull that it just makes you happy. I love it.

Paid $5 for a bottle of this a few years ago and got another bottle as an extra recently. I was expecting one of the best IIPAs in the world but was very very disappointed.

4.13/5  rDev -7%

Took a little road trip to get as its not delivered to NJ. Was glad I got some but was not blown away. Very good but not amazing. Tasty and easy to drink but a step down from some other IPA's IMO. Would drink it again if I come accross it but will not seek it out.

Asking a beer lover their favorite beer is asking a music lover their favorite song. This beer would be "Can't you hear me knocking?" This is the first beer I had of that caliber and I look forward to it's release every year.

4.42/5  rDev -0.5%

12oz bottle. Bottled 1/8/15 (only 13 days ago) Appearance: brilliant clarity with a golden/orange color and a thin white head that dissipated quickly. Aroma: A punch of citrus with notes of orange and peach, with an underlying grassy, piney base. Taste: Really rich and sweet maltiness, almost candy like, with definitive citrus flavors. Resinous, strong hop bitterness slowly builds and comes to a crescendo after the swallow. Mouthfeel: Light to moderate body with a low carbonation and a hint of alcohol warmth. Finish: Bitterness and dryness grows after the swallow and lingers with some resin on the tongue. Overall: Very light and balanced for a double IPA, with the richness of the malt standing up to the hops. This causes the bitterness to slowly increase as opposed to an abrasive punch in the face. Aroma is complex and inviting. Great IIPA.

4.09/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A very tasty IPA, but it's hasn't got the smoothness or hop profile to keep up with the other greats. If I put this up against Artaic, another honey IPA, the hop slam gets blown away. It's really good, just packs a bitter punch with a heavy malt profile, two things I personally don't look for in a great IPA. I would drink again though and as I mentioned, it is tasty.

3.84/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Was expecting it to be much better. Similar to other Bell's brews I have had, just does not have the flavor I was expecting. Just mainly a hop flavor, no complexity.

4.75/5  rDev +7%

This is an amazing beer, well worth the wait, however they do vary year by year. last year's hopslams were very alcohol flavored, the previous year hopslams were 5 across the board, and worth the absurd price. this last year's hopslams were a bit too alcohol flavored, and not crazy hopped enough.

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.