Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 2,498
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,269 | Hads: 11,760
4.42/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured a lemon-yellowish gold into a pint glass. Inch thick creamy head that slowly settled.

Great aroma. Very citrusy/grapefruity with some cut grass. Also a slight sweetness in the aroma.

Taste was great as well. Bitter hoppiness nicely balanced by a complementary malty sweetness. This beer tastes good!

Mouthfeel is very smooth. The hops hit first but you get a nicely cleaned palate after each sip.

Overall, this beer goes down far too easily for its high ABV. Be careful! This is also on the expensive side (I paid $3 for a 12 oz bottle) but I wasn't disappointed. A little expensive to drink all the time, but was a very nice treat!

4.62/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in a 16 oz. mug at Old Chicago in Okemos, MI.

A: Orange gold in color, hazy, with a thin white head. Quick head dissipation and good lacing.

S: Sweet floral hop abundance! The aroma coming out of this mug was awesome!

T: Hops dominate this brew through and through, but not necessarily all bitter. The initial hit to the senses is definitely a hoppy bitterness, but there was a short burst of identifiable maltiness before it swings hard to a bitter floral hop finish with a wonderfully long hop linger.

M&D: Medium to full bodied with medium carbonation and excellent drinkability. From the beginning of the experience this brew just screamed "fresh" hops. Fantastic.

I poured this brew into my tumbler at 50 degrees. The beer was musty smelling and had a really thin head. The beer was a little bit cloudy and smelled really hoppy. It tasted really hoppy also as it is suppose to. I thought it was kinda grassy tasting. I did not like the beer but hop heads will go for it for sure. A great crisp summertime hop beer if you like that kinda thing. Not buy again

3.38/5  rDev -24%

This is a re-review. I've purchased a bottle this year and found my prior review to be way off from my current tastes. But that's what happens when we expand our palets, tastes change.

Anyway, this poured a nice pale amber color with a thick white head atop the brew. Smelled of pine and wildflowers.

Very hoppy, as to be expected. I split it with my wife and she liked it a lot, but for me the hops were almost too much and took on an almost soapy characteristic.

I get what all the ravings are about though, for hop heads this is like a dream beer. I'm a fan of hops, but not to the extent that I'd be seeking this out again... though maybe.

4.02/5  rDev -9.7%

Quick note before reviewing: I went to the website and entered the batch number just for kicks (I know this beer is fairly recent because it hasn't been long since I bought it), and the number came up as invalid. I noticed the site has been revamped recently, so maybe they're still having some issues with it. Either that, or this is a counterfeit beer, and my whole review is a lie. I'm hoping for the former.

A- Golden orange with a decent yellowish-white head after a vigorous pour.

S- The aroma hit as soon as the bottle was opened. Fantastic hop smell of oranges and flowers with a nice underlying sweetness.

T- Nice resiny hop flavor backed by a substantial malt presence. The hops are huge, but they are balanced out by the underlying honey-like sweetness. Of course, the hops still clearly have the upper hand. The bitterness is substantial, but not overwhelming. The only thing that mars the flavor a bit is the alcohol, which seems quite strong at times. The ABV is a little over 9%, but if I didn't know better, I'd guess it was closer to 11 or maybe even 12%.

M- Pretty full-bodied; you can tell you're drinking something substantial. Carbonation is fairly low, but still present.

D- The drinkability takes a bit of a hit because of the alcohol and the overall richness. Some people I've talked to said they finished bottles of this beer in just a few minutes and that the alcohol was well-hidden, but that hasn't been my experience. It takes me a while to finish one, and I typically wouldn't want another after that (although there are definitely exceptions to that).

This is a very good beer and a great example of a Double IPA. It's just not the best one I've ever had. The flavor and aroma are very good, but it doesn't hide its alcohol well, and that hurt it some, in my opinion. Still a great example of the style, and I would suggest buying some if you get the chance. Recommended.

4.72/5  rDev +6.1%

A: Yellow/orange with a nice white head. Good lacing.

S: Nice grapfruit hop aroma with a pineapple/mango element as well. Really delicous smelling.

T/M: Very crisp and clean. Semi dry. Starts off with some carmel malt and brown sugar. Then hops explode, though not out of balance. Hops very piney with grapefruit and a pineapple note. Again, very clean finish with almost no perception of alcohol. Caremel malt comes ut as it warms and hops fade slightly.

D: Off the charts. You could down a sixer of this without even thinking. And then you'd be out of commision for a few days. This is the most drinkable 9% abv beer I've ever had.

Ovr: I'm a big fan of DIPA's. I love the carmel quality the malt and alcohol add to balance the hop attack. This beer is very straight ahead. It's crisp, clean, has a great hop presence, is balanced almost perfectly, and adds something with the pineapple acidity. Maybe my favorite DIPA.

4.67/5  rDev +4.9%

A- One finger head faded quickly, deep relatively clear copper hue.

S- Strong yet pleasant citrusy hop aroma.

T- Nice hop flavor up front balanced by a good malt sweetness in the middle followed by a great hop bite and slight alcohol warming note in the end.

M- Light but not to light, very smooth.

D- Good thing Mike Roman got two kegs of this.

A simply fantastic IPA. It really focuses on hop flavor rather than just being an IBU delivery device.

4.8/5  rDev +7.9%

12 oz'er poured into a pint glass... Pours a hazy gold, ambery color with a pretty thick and creamy white head. The head lasts all the way down for the most part, and leaves a bit of lacing. Smells of powerful hops, and it's really a great character, citrusy, bitter, and mellow, with some fruit. Tastes... well like a hopslam, great blend of hops in this beer, and the honey adds a flavorful undertone. Relatively carbonated, very fresh and "energetic" mouthfeel. This beer is damn tasty and drinkable, I'd have no objection to crack open one after another. But 9.3% ABV would get involved...

4.32/5  rDev -2.9%

Thanks to TheodorHerzl for the chance to try this.

A- Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Brooklyn gold rimmed flute. Pours a hazy orange w/ yellow highlights. A 1/4" head receded into a white lacing on top of the beer.

S- Really nice hop nose. I get a lot of orange, fresh orange. Some evergreen scent with a nice malty background.

T- At first you get the hops. But I have to say the is very well balanced w/ malt. Cirtus, some definite pine tree with a nice sweet caramelly malt background. Very well executed beer from Bells.

M- This is a bit thick but I think this style asked for that. Medium to low carbonation.

D- Okay for 10% beer this hides the alcohol well. I really like this beer. I was expecting blow-your-face-off hops but I got a very balanced and delicious beer.

4.09/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. 02/21/08. Batch 8277

When I bought this, the guy at the store said this one is "very hoppy, very strong". The bottle lists it at 10% ABV, so he's right on at least one part.

Poured an orange-amber color, with about a finger and a half of head that quickly dissipated. Intense smell of hops, very fresh and smells crisp.

The taste is of even more hops. VERY hoppy beer, probably the hoppiest beer I've had. Store guy is 2/2 now. Light citrus taste, but overpowered by the hops. Low to medium carbonation, very bitter, and I can taste the alcohol. Drinkability is alright, but definitely not something I could drink more than one of.

I'm not usually one for overly hoppy beers, but for what it is, this one is pretty decent.

4.97/5  rDev +11.7%

I broke down and coughed up the $14 for a sixer of this, and believe me, it's a steal. This beer is so incredibly good, it's rocketed to one of my top 3 DIPAs without question. This beer is incredible.

HopSlam pours a thin finger of off-white head on a clear burnt orange body with slight cloudiness. I'd normally lower the "appearance" rating for the thin head but, after a cursory glance at the lacing left on the glass, this beer indicates it has gravitas. Its might starts with the nose, which is just magestic. This might be the most citrusy DIPA I've ever had; it's oozing grapefruit and pineapple. Unbelievable!

So is the taste, an ideal blend of hops bite and citrus smoothness. While heavily hopped, this is easy on the taste buds, in no small part because of the ample citrus component, as well as the honey permeating the brew. Positively remarkable. This is so drinkable that I am fighting the urge to slam HopSlam. It's honestly not hard to imagine destroying a bottle of this in several minutes, though hardly advisable given its high ABV (9.3%). But it's just that delicious and smooth.

Just phenomenal, HopSlam is exhausting my cache of superlatives, a bolder presentation away from perfection in my esteem, and even that is somewhat cosmetic.

4.5/5  rDev +1.1%

I'm a big fan.
A-Poured a honey-amber with a nice, thick head.

S-Mango, hops, honey, hint of pine.

T-Mango, grapefruit, hops. The malts and hops are perfectly balanced throughout. This is one of the hoppiest brews I've had that still retained a nice bouquet of characters that balanced the bitterness with sweet, fruity nectar throughout the experience.

M-Nice consistency and body. The texture has the balls to carry this bold flavor, and the gallantry not to overshadow the finer details that make it special.

D-Top notch. This stuff was the hit at a tasting tonight where we experimented w/pairings. Try this stuff with some aged cheddar. Each one makes you want more of the other. You will get fat and drunk.

4.32/5  rDev -2.9%

Well, it finally happened. I cracked open my first HopSlam..

I had a 12oz bottle poured into my nifty Dogfish Head glass.

It poured a rich golden copper color with a thick massive head that slowly dwindled into a quarter-inch ring of foam with lacing all over the glass. It was a bit cloudy as well.

The smell was at first all hoppy bitterness, finished off by the sweet smell of malt and honey and a slight hint of the alcohol.

It was bitter from the start with a sweet finish. As I got closer to the end, the 10% alcohol became more apparent. This beer is delicious.

I will definitely be buying more of this soon. As I have a newly-realized love for hops, this ranks high on my list.

4.42/5  rDev -0.7%

A - Pours copper with hints of gold. Ended up with a little less than one inch of white head. Retention was good. Lacing was also good.

S - Fruity hop aromas dominate (grapefruit and a sweeter fruit like kiwi). On the end there is an earthy aroma mixed with alcohol. Intense but not too powerful.

T - More fruity hops in the flavor. Sweet fruit falls away and citrus really stands out. Earthy flavors mix with sugar and honey mid sip. The distant background has a distinct bitterness and alcohol presence.

M - Medium bodied with good carbonation. Finish is bitter and dry. Smooth for a beer this big.

D - Drinkability is good. I am impressed with what they have done with this beer. The alcohol is hidden fairly well. If I could avoid passing out, I would definitely have several of these. Recommended.

4.07/5  rDev -8.5%

Even with a slow pour this one has some considerable head. A white head sits atop this fairly blonde Double Imperial Pale Ale with very slight amber notes. The head doesn't last long but it leaves nice traces along the sides of the glass

Strong smells of sweet pineapple, grapefruit, and potent evergreen spices.

Very strong bitterness with a tart bite that finishes bone dry. Long lasting hoppiness but that is to be expected from something with the name of Hopslam.

Slight warming feeling from the high alcohol but I'm sure it is hard to hide the alcohol in this DIPA.

Nice mellow sweetness in this beer but the hops don't seem to balance with the malts. These strong pacific northwest hops really blast the taste buds! It is a delicious blend of hops and adds quite a hop character throughout the beer. I'd like to see it a bit maltier. I'd also like. Still a solid DIPA from Bell's.

4.02/5  rDev -9.7%

12oz. brown bottle. Batch 8283. Served in a shaker pint. Golden with a slight haze. Appeared to be bottle conditioned. About a finger of fine bubbled white head. Huge hop aroma along with some fruit. I get strawberries for some reason. That's a first for me. There is a good amount of malt, but immediately the hops jump out at you. Long, lingering hop pucker. There is more fruit in the finish. Hops are slightly vegetal. Alcohol is warming.

A little over the top, but that is good sometimes! A must try if you think you are a hophead.

4.62/5  rDev +3.8%

A beer worth its price indeed! At abt $16 a six pack this beer lives up to the hype...great label...great name...great brewery....great taste! I nice solid color for a DIPA; not too dark but not too light. a head that signals its hoppy nature. An explosion of flavor highlighted by the typical piney nature of an IPA but with a vibrant fruity taste. Four of these and I was inebriated! I had another IPA right before this and the stark difference was amazing. If you haven't had this beer....you have not had a Double IPA.

4.92/5  rDev +10.6%

A-Nice pale golden color, creamy head with nice lacing.

S-WOW, what an aroma! Hops, hops, and more hops. Fantastic citrusy aroma. Slight alcohol warmth in the background.

T-Perfectly balanced bitterness hits your tongue at first, followed by the same wonderful citrusy hop character in the flavor that was noticed in the aroma. Hop character finishes a little grassy. As much as the hops dominate, there is malt in there, giving the beer a nice sweetness to balance out the hop bitterness/flavor.

M-Just about perfectly carbonated, which is nice because it allows hop character to show through more. Good medium/full body.

D-This is one of those beers that could be classified as "dangerously" drinkable. I could easily put down six of these, which is rare for me and a beer of this strength. I have to try hard to hold myself to one (maybe two).

4.12/5  rDev -7.4%

Pours a golden hue into the pint glass, the smell is amazing. It has a lovely citrus/grapefruit nose that permeates through the taste. There is a bitterness I didn't like up front that was a little piney, but this brief taste is followed a very nice citrus and some sweetness finishing with a subtle bitter that is nice.
In all I liked this beer, I would definitely get this one again. It is a pretty well balanced hop bomb.

4.47/5  rDev +0.4%

Bell's Hopslam

Poured into a snifter. Slightly hazy, pure amber color, that is almost nectar-like. Nice solid white head that dissipates and leaves a white ring around the glass. Aromas are sweet, honey, sweet citrus, along with earthy tones like grassy, floral, and piney from the hops. Tastes are sweet from the honey. Strong hop character; smokey hop flavors. Amazing DIPA! Great mouthfeel, smooth, and very palate pleasing, also a little creamy. Very drinkable, I am actually on my third.

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip. pours a lightly reddish amber color with a couple fingers of off-white head.

aroma is, well, 'slammed' with hops. mainly aromatic, with a slight spice to the aroma, this brew contains little else than that. a note of fruity yeast accompanies the hops, with a bit of grassy hops as well.

taste is more of the same. up front, there is little else besides a light fruit from the yeast, and at the back is a veritable hopslam (pardon the pun). despite the large hop character, the hops do not overwhelm the brew, but provide a solid and strong base for the palate to work from.

mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a silky texture and a dry, bitter finish.

drinkability is decent. the amount of hops here lower the drinkability, but the smooth profile allow a few of these to make their way to the stomach without any problems. cheers!

4.24/5  rDev -4.7%

I got this one at Canal Street in Reading, PA. Thanks to Dusty for getting some bottles even if the kegs didn't make it.

A - Orange-like with amber color. Not clear but not cloudy either. I likened it to apple juice. Not much head at all and it dissipated very quickly. The beer did not have much lacing either.

S - Smell is fantastic - very strong citrus smell, with some flowers.

T - A little sweet - then hops, hops, and more hops. A strong kick of bitterness in the back of the mouth after you swallow. As the beer warmed, that kick at the end was less apparent.

M - Almost creamy, but not thick. Lots of carbonation early, even prickly on the tongue, but by the end it was again not longer apparent too.

D - Found the beer to be more drinkable after it warmed a bit. I could have another, but no more than that in one sitting. I will seek this out every year it is released.

4.1/5  rDev -7.9%

Thanks to Paul at Underground Bluz for getting this one on tap.

Poured a medium gold, small head, some lacing. The smell was mostly citrusy hops, but my smell is not refined enough to tell which. The taste was rather amazing. I expected this beer to be much hoppier than it seemed, but the hop flavor was indeed quite pronounced, and was balanced with a very sweet malt flavor. To contradict the reviewers below, it did indeed taste rather alcoholic to me, but then again, well, it is! HopSlam was certainly no chugger for me but I really enjoyed sipping it over the course of 30 minutes or so.

4.85/5  rDev +9%

Thanks to theformula for this elixir. Let me say that I've been looking forward to this for a while since I love DIPAs and I love Bell's. This didn't disapoint. I traded for a sixpack of this and of Nugget Nectar, and while the Nectar was good I thought this blew it away. So friggin' delicious that I almost sucked the first on straight down.

Pours amber with a thin head but a constant stream of tiny bubbles. I'm not worried about a big head for a strong beer like this, I'm more concerned about what the beer tastes like and how fresh it is. This is one fresh beer! The smell is surprisingly malty and a tad sweet with big citrusy hops following. The taste is amazing! Delicious blend of citrusy and piney hops with a spicy oiliness that coats the tongue and has a flavor almost of cinnamon in its intensity. More pine, grapefruit, and orange follow. The sweet malt and honey play a supporting role that beautifully props up the hops, and there is almost a peach flavor at the end that makes me want to guzzle the beer. Great body, balance, and finish. I know this is 9.3% abv, but you can't tell. Something about this beer makes me want another and nothing else as soon as I finish the first, Uber delicious and almost addictive.

4.82/5  rDev +8.3%

This one pours with an orangey, almost light amber color with a decent foamy head. Right off the bat it smelled like a sweet grapefruit. Very appealing. Also detected a citrusy, flowery smell, but man those grapefruits!

Very smooth and drinkable, still more sweet grapefruit and flowery hops taste. I wouldn't put this beer at almost 10% ABV. It tastes strong but not from the alcohol. It's very well balanced.

I couldn't imagine drinking more than two of these and still be coherent.

Hopslam is outstanding on tap and very good in the bottle!!

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.