Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 2,056
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros

4.35/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A - Pours amber with a thing white head that disappears quickly. Leaves spotty lacing.

S - Grapefruit, mango, pine resin, malt works it's way into the mix.

T - Moderate amounts of grapefruit up front, followed by tons of pine and malt. No mango comes through and the malt sticks around after the finish.

M - Medium chewy body with moderate carbonation.

O - Overall, a great DIPA, but not as legendary as what everybody makes it out to be. This one goes to 11 beats it any day.

4.38/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Date on bottle 01/03/13.

Appearance: Wonderful golden honey color with incredible clarity. A one finger off-white head has dissipated into a thin bubbly film atop the beer. One of the best looking beers I've seen, looks very succulent.

Aroma: Interesting but not very strong. Pine layered with honey. Also hints of mango and peach hop characteristics. A touch of rubbing alcohol.

Taste: A decently complex brew with flavor shifts throughout. Starts with a sweet bitterness that becomes more and more intense adding in a distinct pine flavor about halfway through. The end and finish give throw in addition hop flavors of citrus and grapefruit but they can be hard to detect. Each sip ends with a big blast of bitterness that lingers for a long time. Despite how bitter it is (somewhere in the ballpark of 80 IBUs), Hopslam actually maintains a near perfect balance with a pleasantly malty undertone. Most of the 10% ABV is hidden but the finish does give way to a moderate heat in the back of the throat.

Mouthfeel: Just below full in body and somehow not syrupy. It would be quite easy to chug this down which is surprising given the style. Just very smooth overall.

Final Thoughts: To someone who's new to IPAs or DIPAs they may think Hopslam tastes like a liquid pine tree. However, a more informed palate would note that it strikes a near perfect balance in flavor and delivers a pleasant drinking experience. Would I drink it again? Hell yes, it is deserving of its near legendary status in the world of craft beer.

4.25/5  rDev -5.3%

4.25/5  rDev -5.3%

4.58/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

beautiful looking beer, poured aggressive, got a massive head that dissipated down to a 3 and 1/2 finger. beautiful orange, golden where light shines through. This beautiful beer smells honestly like a fruit cocktail cup. Fruity and delicious. first flavor is wildflower honey, apricot, peach, sweet orange, little bit of alcohol in the flavor, finishes with grapefruit in the back of my throat. very delicious.

4.88/5  rDev +8.7%

This beer is very dear to me. I first had it last year, in both draft and bottle format, in that order. As I recall, at first I liked Hopslam on draft more than I liked it in the bottle. I was actually put-off somewhat by the super fresh bottle I had, just after I had it on draft. After a few weeks, my case obviously depleted but over time, the bottled beer really changed quite a bit, read, it got better after a few weeks. At the time I was aware of the freshness concern with Hopslam, but for me it tasted better after lets say, 2-5 weeks, and after that I ADORED it, could not get enough of it, and then it was gone. Fast forward about 11 months. Received word that Bell's had bottled Hopslam on 01/02/13, and pretty randomly decided to drive about 8 hours to Kalamazoo to buy some for me and my friends, mostly because we did not want to wait the three or so weeks for it reach out area, A, and B, we were/are not sure how much we will actually be able to purchase here. So I went to Bell's and got plenty for me and my friends, a case a piece. Anyway, this review will at some points refer to my recent experience at the Eccentric Cafe, but for scoring purposes, relies solely on the experience I am having right now with a 9-day old bottle of Hopslam. At the Cafe, over a period of two days, I probably had 5 12-16oz. pours of delicious Hopslam. It appeared hazy/foggy, and tasted and smelled unfuckingbelievable.

In terms of the bottle I am enjoying right at this very instant, I poured it medium strength into a perfect pint glass, leaving a bit over a finger of really white head, some bubbles, lots of lacing, I am literally staring at lacing right now. In contrast to the draft pour, this bottle pour is super translucent. It actually caught me off guard at first. It is a combination of gold, orange, tangerine, and yellow in color. In other words, quite distinct from the draft pour.

Smell is amazing. I really enjoy the blend of honey, pine resin, citrus, slight malt, and admittedly some booziness.

The taste is similarly immaculate in my humble opinion. Less citrus-forward, more honey sweetness with pine, some sweet orange, resin, malt combination combining to make a delightful experience on the taste buds. Slightly bitter feel, smooth hop finish. Medium carbonation and I am guessing not over-powering IBU's.

Overall, Hopslam is amazing. Having enjoyed both formats, draft and bottle, I am grateful for the experience. Over the last year, it has made me chase "honey beers" only to be disappointed. Bell's did a great job, and I feel like this year is better than last. Please find the chance to sample this excellent brew. It is definitely different, draft v. bottle, and I think it's hitting its stride right now, 9-10 days in. Glad I have a chance to drink 1/day for the next 2.5 weeks, and hopefully I can grab some more to see how it changes after several weeks. Again, must try. Cheers.

4.29/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours dark gold with a small head and a moderate amount of lace. A small cream colored ring remains around the top of the beer. Good clarity. Lovely aroma; pungent hoppiness; resinous, slightly oniony; some citrus and pine qualities.

Has a slightly tongue scathing bitterness to the flavor; again very resinous, with grass, pine, citrus, and onion characteristics, and a surprisingly dry finish after hearing much about this beer's honeyed taste; I found there was little in the way of sweetness at all, really. After the swallow the bitterness lingers a bit but recedes enough so as not to be obnoxious or overbearing; you are left with the sense of a powerful beer, both in terms of hops and alcohol, although the latter is well masked during drinking.

Medium body and carbonation, almost light for this style. This is a top notch DIPA, sure, but not perhaps in the class of the other heavy hitters of the genre; lacks the intricacy of Heady Topper and the refinement of Pliny, to cite two examples. But still dusts the vast majority of the competition.

4.39/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-Clear yellow orange, not much carbonation, two finger head that leave behind some lacing.

S-Some honey, caramel, good deal of citrus hops.

T-Starts with malt, honey, ends with grassy pine hops with citrus, nice bitterness.

M-Medium bodied, hop resins, some carbonation.

O-A really good DIPA, the honey is a nice addition but not crazy about it. Will keep trying this beer was I was expecting a little more out of it.

4.48/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had this on tap at a Bell's event in Lansing, MI at Crunchy's 1/9/13 and had bottles of it 1/8/13, so I don't think there could be a fresher review of it compared to other years I've had it.

The smell was phenomenal, I think this year's hopslam was much more well balanced than last years. Less Malt, more hops, and floral undertones this year I think. Tons of it up here in MIchigan this year, one store had 120 cases I went to the other day and on tap all over the place.

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.