Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 2,255
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros

3.25/5  rDev -27.5%

4.71/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

3.25/5  rDev -27.5%

4.65/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

What can be said? I'm an IPA guy, and this is my second favorite beer. Being seasonal, I'm shocked to find it, let alone a case of it. It drinks easy and hoppy at first, but finishes with a strong alcohol bite. Being a DIPA, I would expect nothing less. Took a vacation to Michigan just to hit the the triangle of breweries and Bell's was both my wife and my favorite. They do not disappoint.

4.75/5  rDev +6%

4.59/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Original Review: 2/2013
On tap at Maduro, Madison. A beautiful pour in a Bell's tulip glass. Inch of fluffy snow-looking head. And glacial lacing on the glass.

It's often more of a challenge to write a review in a bar, given all the distractions and working on a cell phone touchscreen keyboard. That's particularly true of the cigar bar. Great aroma, though the cigar smoke in here is obstructing any and all nuance. I'm getting generic concepts of high hop bitterness, the foundation of bready grains, and a syrupy sweetness.

in the mouth the hop bitterness and candy sweetness team up to beat back the tobacco smoke. There's only room on my pallate for one alpha flavor.
-------
UPDATE 2/24/15
Oh, man. Delish. This is a fresh Hopslam (bottled in January, 2015).

Still not as good as on tap, which I've had twice in the past two weeks and loved, absolutely. Today, this beer has an astringent aftertaste (which was not present in the tap beer), and it hurts it significantly. Still, amazing, though.

I'd give this bottled Hopslam a 4.30.

4.75/5  rDev +6%

4.03/5  rDev -10%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

It's a good DIPA. I felt it was a little sweet for my taste. I enjoy the more bitter bite from others. It has a nice grassy smell, a little citrus as well. It has a nice pour and a good looking head. It is full bodied with a nice smooth finish. I don't feel it's worth the $18. In general I would rather have a Fathead
But if you are lucky enough, find three Floyd's Zombie Dust. That's the best for my money.

3.23/5  rDev -27.9%

Hopslam once a great beer...now a bitter disappointment.
Used to think that Hopslam was the cat's meow now I think it tastes like...

I had this on tap 2/16/13 and drank a bottle on 2/15/13 (bottled on 1/2/13). The review was similar.

It looks like the old Hopslam. Nice looking IPA golden with a nice head.

The smell- not the same amount of pineapple citrus in the nose as before not bad but the aroma has been turned down.

The taste- could not find that wonderful balance of citrus/pineapple/honey/hops. Could barely taste the citrus and the taste was more bland and average than before. What a letdown. Looking for the wonderful

Mouthfeel- thinner and less savory than before.

Overall- I called Bells looking for someone to talk to. Ryan said "I'm not aware of any quality issues." I thought I might have gotten a bad 6-pack but the draft the next night tasted the same. Three other friends all agree this is not as good as it used to be.

Lagunitas Sucks, Hoptimum, Nugget Nectar are all better more cost effective choices to me now.

My number 1 IPA is fresh(30 days or less) Zombie Dust.

If you don't like spending $18 for a 6-pack of just ok tasting beer than pass on Hopslam this year.

If you feel like have been Hopslammed like me call Bell's and ask for Ryan. You can be sure
your complaint won't be the first.

4.5/5  rDev +0.4%

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.